Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why can't it even remember what episode I'm on? Every other service has no issue letting me pickup where I left off, regardless of how I closed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, it’s moving to HBO Max next year, so hopefully it works better.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I like Husbands of River Song, although some of the early scenes are particularly grating.

I've re-watched it a couple times and each time I have to remind myself that it's worth sitting through the start. I think starting with the escape to the tardis is when it hits its stride. The setup is definitely noticeably weak, but Capaldi trying to talk up the doctor as a stranger is fantastic and I think is when their chemistry really clicks, and it's just great moment after great moment from then on. I could see some people disliking the number of callbacks, but I felt like it was in-line with the intent of the episode so it doesn't feel out of place.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Plus I always like to think about how loving crazy the poo poo she sees 11 and finally 12 do is, which makes the fact that in her timeline she then walks straight into 10 who tries to impress her by throwing a chicken bone on a string under a chair all the funnier. :allears:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Plus I always like to think about how loving crazy the poo poo she sees 11 and finally 12 do is, which makes the fact that in her timeline she then walks straight into 10 who tries to impress her by throwing a chicken bone on a string under a chair all the funnier. :allears:

On that note, I could do with 13 doing some bonkers crazy stuff in the 11 and 12 vein. She's got the friendly space genius part of the Doctor on lock, but I'd love to see Whittaker do some I Am the Oncoming Storm scenery chewing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/gossjam/status/1184765161619546112?s=19

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Khanstant posted:

They can't even put Doctor Who up on Amazon without it being weird and obtuse as hell. 15 different TV promos counting as their own season and episode, christmas specials being divided into their own confusing pages forcing you to jump back and forth between season pages and specials for one year.

Oh god they did this with New Girl as well. I finished the last episode of season 1 and it went straight into a promo for... season 1. Why would you do this, who would possibly want this or think this is a good idea?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Fil5000 posted:

Oh god they did this with New Girl as well. I finished the last episode of season 1 and it went straight into a promo for... season 1. Why would you do this, who would possibly want this or think this is a good idea?

Honestly, I don't think Netflix is a marvel of tech, organization or UI, but apparently it is judging by everyone else's attempts. Netflix used to have Doctor Who in Australia, and that handled just fine!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/RedDwarfHQ/status/1184967810855911425?s=20

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Finally, we get the Red Dwarf film promised 20 years ago!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Cool!

The only problem is that it always takes about 40 minutes of listening before my mind is tuned to Craigh Charles' accent and I can understand anything.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Cool!

The only problem is that it always takes about 40 minutes of listening before my mind is tuned to Craigh Charles' accent and I can understand anything.

See, I can understand him perfectly, but it takes about an hour for me to stop waiting for him to introduce Razer or Sir Killalot.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

Cleretic posted:

See, I can understand him perfectly, but it takes about an hour for me to stop waiting for him to introduce Razer or Sir Killalot.

Or to make a joke about shiitake on Takeshi’s Castle.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
i don't think i watched any of the revival stuff after Back to Earth, maybe an episode or two of series ten. has it been any good?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Box of Bunnies posted:

i don't think i watched any of the revival stuff after Back to Earth, maybe an episode or two of series ten. has it been any good?

It's just as good as the, like, middle third of Red Dwarf or so? When both Grant and Naylor were still in and they were really hitting their stride, and Rimmer was still there instead of AU Kochanski.

So yeah, still really good. Not 'great', but Red Dwarf was never 'great'.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've enjoyed the last couple of seasons a lot, but nothing touches the highs of seasons 3 & 4, where every single episode was an all-time classic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

I've enjoyed the last couple of seasons a lot, but nothing touches the highs of seasons 3 & 4, where every single episode was an all-time classic.

<ahem> I think you might enjoy Vengeance on Varos.

There's a thing that some people say about it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Every so often I think about The Fiveish Doctors, and Colin Baker standing on top of a ride-on lawnmower with his phone in the air just in case the BBC has been trying to call but couldn't get through :allears:

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Every so often I think about The Fiveish Doctors, and Colin Baker standing on top of a ride-on lawnmower with his phone in the air just in case the BBC has been trying to call but couldn't get through :allears:

:allears:

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrbUB2Qd-gw
I really hope this 45 minute long recap means new footage is coming soon.

York_M_Chan fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 18, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

nvm

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

York_M_Chan posted:

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrbUB2Qd-gw
I really hope this 45 minute long recap means new footage is coming soon.

I still hate the cop out of her falling to earth and just getting up from it as if nothing happened.
Such a terrible cliffhanger resolve.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I think the usual ‘within the first 15 hours of the regeneration cycle*’ rules apply there. You can hand wave it that Time Lords are like rubber at that point.

*which makes no sense in Christmas Invasion because it’s clearly been way over 15 hours since he regenerated.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
15 Gallifreyan Hours.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

They never said they were sequential!

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Box of Bunnies posted:

Same-ish. I'm not super keen on The Girl Who Waited for similarish reasons

In fairness, the Doctor was intentionally portrayed as an absolute cold faced bastard in that episode.
At least I hope it was intentional.

Making a horrific ethical decision is nowhere near as bad as guilting someone else into doing it for you.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

I think the usual ‘within the first 15 hours of the regeneration cycle*’ rules apply there. You can hand wave it that Time Lords are like rubber at that point.

*which makes no sense in Christmas Invasion because it’s clearly been way over 15 hours since he regenerated.

See also The End of Time.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/jfmouthonlegs/status/1185800834862501890?s=20

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Turns out that is appropriate Trakenite Space Princess Mourning Clothing, don't mock her culture!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Astroman posted:

See also The End of Time.

Must I? Also, what about it?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

The_Doctor posted:

Must I? Also, what about it?
[Falls out of spaceship] "Aaaaaaaaaaaaa- [smashes through glass and metal skylight] -aaaaaaaaaaaaaa- [slams down face-first on hard floor] -aaaaaOOF! Phew, no harm done."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

OH! Yeah, true. He at least look beat up on doing so.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I've been reading Paul Cornell's Target-style novelisation of Twice Upon a Time, about a third of the way through, and while having the character's inner thoughts in a way that you can't get on tv mitigates a little bit of the 'haha, what if the old Doctor was a pig' garbage I found in the actual show, and being a book means I can imagine the Doctor actually being the Doctor instead of David Bradley, there is just a complete and massive mischaracterisation of the First Doctor at the core of this story that it makes the whole thing just... ugh

Like, this paragraph here is pretty inconsequential in the scope of the larger story, but it kind of really exemplifies the whole thing for me:

quote:

"What are you?" asked the Doctor.

The First Doctor had half expected him to come out with some ghastly so-called witticism about 'seeing right through her', but from the look on his fellow Doctor's face, humour was not on the menu tonight. The First Doctor wasn't much for jokes. He recalled once when his friend Steven had attempted to explain to him a message contained within a 'Christmas cracker'. The whole business had taken the best part of an hour and the First Doctor hadn't been left much wiser at the end of it.

Cleretic posted:

It's just as good as the, like, middle third of Red Dwarf or so? When both Grant and Naylor were still in and they were really hitting their stride, and Rimmer was still there instead of AU Kochanski.

So yeah, still really good. Not 'great', but Red Dwarf was never 'great'.

Coolio, sounds like it's worth checking on then

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I highly recommend Moffat’s novelisation of Day of the Doctor. It gets a little self-indulgent but it’s never not fun.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Payndz posted:

[Falls out of spaceship] "Aaaaaaaaaaaaa- [smashes through glass and metal skylight] -aaaaaaaaaaaaaa- [slams down face-first on hard floor] -aaaaaOOF! Phew, no harm done."

Oh THIS scene?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

It gets a little self-indulgent but it’s never not fun.

Sounds like Day of the Doctor alright :v: But yeah, that's the other one of these I've got lined up to read. That seems like it would be a good one for this kind of thing.

What I've read of this Twice Upon a Time one seems like a good adaptation of the actual episode of the show with a few nice touches of its own so far, I guess I'd just kind of hoped for it to do more in terms of getting the story's portrayal of the First Doctor more in line with the actual First Doctor and instead it's just going with what Moffat had on screen. Which, that's a me problem and an issue with my expectations and the content of the episode that it's adapting, not anything wrong with what Paul Cornell's actually written.

e: now that I've finished up Twice Upon a Time, I feel a lot the same about the story as I did when the actual episode aired. I like the core of the story and how it's just about the Doctors being introspective about life and death, about changing, and memories, and moving on. I like that there isn't really some baddie to beat; the antagonist, such as it is, really only exists to facilitate the theme of the story. I like the way it uses the Christmas truce . And in the written version specifically, I like some of the extra callbacks that are added like when the First Doctor is first doing the sexist poo poo thing that the story has him do, Twelve mentally chastises him by thinking 'what about Barbara, you prick, she was amazing and a dear friend' (paraphrasing) or how the text echoes the First Doctor's "it's far from being all over" when he's finally in the TARDIS regenerating.

It's just... a shame about everything else Moffat felt the need to inject into the character of the first Doctor that was never actually in the text of that incarnation. At least in the book omits the "I say, homosexuals!?" monocle pop that it was the episode

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 21, 2019

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Oh THIS scene?

Please. Could he walk away from this?

https://youtu.be/EN-pRNfp8cA?t=4867

(1:21:07 to 1:21:18)

(And if you've never seen Stone Cold, for the love of God watch it. It's the best 1980's action movie made in the 1990's)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

CobiWann posted:

Please. Could he walk away from this?

https://youtu.be/EN-pRNfp8cA?t=4867

(1:21:07 to 1:21:18)

(And if you've never seen Stone Cold, for the love of God watch it. It's the best 1980's action movie made in the 1990's)
Holy poo poo, I thought at first that was just a montage of the goofiest action bits from the movie, but then realised it's the movie. I now have to watch the whole thing!

(drat, I miss squib hits and bullet impacts sending people flying out of windows and that "pkow-peeow-ptchow" machine gun ricochet stock sound effect.)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Haven't watched any Who in years, until I watched all of season 11 of the reboot in a week and (mostly) found it really quite enjoyable. Not amazing, or anything, but pretty comfy and decent. Well, except the second half of Rosa being all about getting people on a bus, and the laughably bad ending with the meteor. What even was that?

Working my way through the modern TV stuff and made it up to partway season 5. Thus far, I'd say my favorite season is easily season 4 (Donna is a fantastic companion and almost every episode was amazing, though I'm still not sure how the time bubble got circumvented in End of the World) with season 2 having the three worst episodes to date almost all back-to-back (The Idiot's Lantern, Love and Monsters and Fear Her). That said, even though season 4 was almost all great, I was kinda... disappointed with Silence in the Library / Forest of the Dead, since it was the first of Moffat's stuff that he really just went and Moffat-ed all over. Introducing River Song, having her be ~*mysterious*~ and a puzzle that is obviously gonna get expanded in a future season and having the really cool conceit of the "villain" be a swarm that lives in shadows being beaten by... The Doctor just telling them that he's really cool and a badass and then they give up.

Season 5 on the whole is pretty decent and entertaining so far, though. I've only seen a few episodes of it so far (next one looks like it has the weeping angels brought back). Matt Smith is way better than I expected; I was expecting him to be overtly quirky and silly and ~random~ and junk. Stuff like eating fish fingers and custard sure didn't help that worry, but at least that was a one-off and he's a lot more biting and dour and surprisingly pessimistic than I'd ever expected him to be, which is one hell of a change of pace.

e;

Also, in terms of companions, do they ever bring Christina back? Of the few one-off companions, she's legitimately phenomenal and I'd love to see her be around for a full season sometime. The folks from The Next Door were also very cool. Really, all the specials between season 4 and 5 had great one-off companions.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 22, 2019

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I really liked Idiot's Lantern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The Idiot's Lantern is kinda weird to me, in that it's a good episode that feels like a bad episode. It checks a lot of the surface-level boxes of what would make for a Bad RTD Era Episode (like, well, the one-two punch of Love and Monsters and Fear Her), but it actually found the right tone, actors and level of seriousness to make it work.

The Impossible Planet and The Satan Pit kinda save it in a way, gives it some distance from the real dreck of that season, and lets it act as some decent levity between the Cyberman two-parter than Impossible Planet/Satan Pit.