Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
This author guy should have said wheelchair-using :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Maybe he's actually physically tied to a wheelchair that he doesn't use, bet you didn't think of that

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd make a joke about wheelchair BDSM, but I'm pretty sure that's a thing that exists.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Chairman posted:

Maybe he's actually physically tied to a wheelchair that he doesn't use, bet you didn't think of that

Nah, he is forever seeking his destination, A Wheelchair

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

NachtSieger posted:

I'm interested in this wheelchair-bound assassin.

We all loved Killer 7, but Harman Smith wasn't chasing anyone.

e: Hell, that whole description reads like someone played Killer 7 and said, "I can be that weird."

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 18, 2019

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

May the Lord smile, and the Devil have mercy.

(on this dumbass “designer”)

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
"Stairs? The gently caress do I look like, a goddamn Dalek?"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It’s fine, he can just turn into one of the other six people living inside him, all of whom have legs that function.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mors Rattus posted:

It’s fine, he can just turn into one of the other six people living inside him, all of whom have legs that function.
Seven.

We have Garcian, Dan, Coyote, Kevin, KAEDE, Con, and Mask.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Zereth posted:

Seven.

e: Oh right Harman doesn't count.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Zereth posted:

Seven.

thank you

Kurieg posted:

Uhh.. 1+6=7

wrong

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

We talkin about killers in wheelchairs can't forget this guy

Although he didn't do any of his killing in the thing

Maybe he would've if he was "bound" to it tho

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

PST posted:

His 'Avatar card' doesn't even make any sense for the minimal '1987 called and wants its systems back' description of how the game works.

It just makes no sense, on so many levels.

Wait what?

If I read this right, you have some primary attributes which somehow determine secondary attributes. Ok, not exactly elegant but that's nothing strange. But then...

Physique determines Strength, Dexterity, and Charisma.
IQ determines Intelligence, Mana, and Magic.
Intuition determines Perception, Wisdom, Mana, and Miracles.

Ok I can deal with Mana being there twice. Maybe it's based on the type of caster you are (arcane or divine, highly original). Or maybe it relies on both.

But then it lists the other attributes below: Str, Int, Dex, Cha. Where's Wisdom? Where's Perception? Wait, Intelligence says that it determines "Detection"? Isn't that what Perception does? Hang on, Charisma determines Mana as well? So... Mana is calculated from a primary stat, another primary stat, and a secondary stat all at once?

Experience Points is listed as a type of stat? What?

And then on the second sheet, it again lists Str, Int, Dex, and Cha, with space underneath to note down skills. Sure, with you so far. Still not sure where Wisdom and Perception have ended up, but whatever, they're a lost cause.
Except then it also lists To-Hit as a stat with sub-skills? Maybe per individual weapon type or something? And same for damage? Ok... I guess? I mean "Damage" is not really a stat or a skill (and yet "Combat" is according to the first sheet). But then there's also Movement. Which also has sub-skills. But they can't be Leap or Balance, because according to the first sheet that's also part of Dex, so movement doesn't actually include all movement?

Hang on there's a Constitution tertiary stat as well and it seems to be not based on Physique somehow.

drat.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bieeanshee posted:

"Stairs? The gently caress do I look like, a goddamn Dalek?"

I mean to be fair with a rifle that big stairs seem like less an obstacle and more a mild annoyance.

"Oh he ran up the stairs? Hope the rooms up there are made out of tanks because I'm just gonna start shootin in."

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

he usually just has Garcian walk up the stairs for him, IIRC

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

News from Hasbro - things not looking good except for D&D. The part that jumps out at me, though, is that Hasbro saw D&D double in sales in the past five years and are expecting it to double again in the next five. As we know, the current boom is mostly from the emergence of podcasts and Twitch and I don't see how they could double from what is supposedly their best ever sales. Its typical corporate bullshit expectations but I guarantee not meeting said expectations will be a problem for Mearls in a few years.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
I think that's WOTC on the whole doubling, and that D&D is still insignificant be next to Magic for that kind of math.

Still unlikely unless one of those video games turns out to be huge, though.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
They could whip up a quick worse new edition.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

They could whip up a quick worse new edition.

Put Matt Mercer's name on the cover of 5.5e and it'll sell like hotcakes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arivia posted:

Put Matt Mercer's name on the cover of 5.5e and it'll sell like hotcakes.

I wonder if we're close to Critical Role: The RPG.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Dawgstar posted:

Given current trends it'll likely be some licensed thing. All "Wizards of the Coast presents the Aquaman 2 RPG, featuring Critical Role and Jason Momoa. Aquaman 2: in theaters December 22. The first supplement will contain the Mera class, and is only available at participating Burger Kings. Have it your way."

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Dawgstar posted:

They already sell a setting book don't they?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Lord_Hambrose posted:

They already sell a setting book don't they?

Yes, from Green Ronin. It covers the setting for the first campaign. I assume at some point they'll come out with one for the current campaign too.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm looking at the filing, and it does spell out D&D having successes (though it may also be from other unnamed games under the Hasbro Gaming segment)
https://seekingalpha.com/filing/4669824

quote:

HASBRO GAMING: Net revenues in the Hasbro Gaming portfolio decreased 17% in the third quarter of 2019 compared to the third quarter of 2018. Lower net revenues from PIE FACE and SPEAK OUT and certain other Hasbro Gaming products were partially offset by higher net revenues from DUNGEONS & DRAGONS products and certain other games in the third quarter of 2019.

Under the filing, MTG is listed under Franchise Brands along with NERF and Monopoly

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm really looking forward to Hasbro leveraging the success of DND and producing the first ABC family sitcom focused on a group of gamers and their adventures around the kitchen table.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I forgot that Nerf is Hasbro.

Where's my Magic the Gathering Bolas Blaster?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Please do not restart linguistics chat by bringing up PIE FACE

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

canyoneer posted:

Please do not restart linguistics chat by bringing up PIE FACE

Dungeons & Dragons: Temple of a Laryngeal Evil

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Funzo posted:

Yes, from Green Ronin. It covers the setting for the first campaign. I assume at some point they'll come out with one for the current campaign too.

Current campaign is in the same setting, but on a different continent. Not sure what the Setting book covers, if it's just Tal'Dorei or includes the rest of Exandria (current campaign is on the continent of Wildemount)

Edit:

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm really looking forward to Hasbro leveraging the success of DND and producing the first ABC family sitcom focused on a group of gamers and their adventures around the kitchen table.

While this would definitely have the potential to be dire, I would legitimately watch this.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Rogue 7 posted:

Current campaign is in the same setting, but on a different continent. Not sure what the Setting book covers, if it's just Tal'Dorei or includes the rest of Exandria (current campaign is on the continent of Wildemount)

Yes, it just covers Tal'Dorei, not Wildemout. That's what I was trying to say, I just worded it badly.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Rogue 7 posted:

While this would definitely have the potential to be dire, I would legitimately watch this.

It's inevitable. We have two different esports shows coming next year.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's inevitable. We have two different esports shows coming next year.

King's Avatar is a good eSports show but the second season needs to hurry up and come out.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
So regarding my posts in Cthulhu Thread, I know Tenkar sucks a bunch of cocks, but his article actually provides context and the link to the Podcast with Matt Dawkins defending his Pedo VtM Pregen and mentioning his games frequently touch on pedophilia: https://www.tenkarstavern.com/2017/06/what-hell-is-going-on-with-new-vampire.html

There's apparently "context" and it got scrubbed later, but I know I've read Dawkins brag that he puts pedophilia storylines in even his convention games, and so I'm like

Super annoyed he's working with Chaosium now.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
As someone who has only ever gotten really second hand information about the setting of Critical Role, what exactly goes into that setting book? Because it's always sounded like the most generically D&D thing possible. What does it do to actually differentiate itself from "is D&D" to have a setting book? Or is it in fact a book full of stuff like "ELVES: Ancient and mysterious..."

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

As someone who has only ever gotten really second hand information about the setting of Critical Role, what exactly goes into that setting book? Because it's always sounded like the most generically D&D thing possible. What does it do to actually differentiate itself from "is D&D" to have a setting book? Or is it in fact a book full of stuff like "ELVES: Ancient and mysterious..."

From what I can tell, the main draw is probably just "this is the world that Vox Machina exists in." Each part of the continent has some flavor, including population sizes and the rough percentages of each race living in the areas, as well as some quest prompts without much follow-up. The most useful parts are character-related, such as backgrounds, feats, a Dragonborn variant (the ravenite), magic items, and subclasses (which may be out of date, like the Cobalt Soul monk which received updates during season 2). There are also optional rules, such as potion quaffing, alternative resurrection rules.

Like you said, Tal'Dorei is fairly generic on its own without the association with one of, if not the most popular actual play series out there. There's not enough about Marquet to determine how it fairs on that scale, though I'm very interested in an eventual Wildmount setting book for the sections on Xorhas, which has been an incredibly neat part of the world so far.

E: oh also there are 3 drugs included as well. One of them gives you metamagic.

Trojan Kaiju fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 26, 2019

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ProfessorCirno posted:

I mean, you can make the same argument for Forgotten Realms and yet it sells like hot cakes. Golarion, too.

People buy generic poo poo.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
[quote="Trojan Kaiju" post=""499456691"zip"].

E: oh also there are 3 drugs included as well. One of them gives you metamagic.
[/quote]

Sorcerers got the herp. Check.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

ProfessorCirno posted:

Critical Role didn’t get to be the biggest name in Actual Play by being innovative, creative, or moving away from the audience’s comfort zones.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

dwarf74 posted:

I mean, you can make the same argument for Forgotten Realms and yet it sells like hot cakes. Golarion, too.

People buy generic poo poo.
Non-generic settings, fully detailed and packed with unusual and fantastical elements (Jorune, Glorantha, Tekumel, etc) tend to sell like rear end to a small (but fervent) niche audience.

And most people just want to play in a familiar-seeming fantasy environment, with a map that has Elf Forest and Dwarf Mountain and the Evil Swamp and cultures of not-Vikings and not-Samurai and not-Swashbuckling Pirates and not-Egypt and the ruins of the not-Roman Empire all marked somewhere on it, and Golarion and its ilk suit that need most admirably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

FMguru posted:

Non-generic settings, fully detailed and packed with unusual and fantastical elements (Jorune, Glorantha, Tekumel, etc) tend to sell like rear end to a small (but fervent) niche audience.

And most people just want to play in a familiar-seeming fantasy environment, with a map that has Elf Forest and Dwarf Mountain and the Evil Swamp and cultures of not-Vikings and not-Samurai and not-Swashbuckling Pirates and not-Egypt and the ruins of the not-Roman Empire all marked somewhere on it, and Golarion and its ilk suit that need most admirably.

Reminds me of when Magic: The Gathering kept getting feedback that people were down with a Japanese setting. And they got one and it was rad as all hell. But the players all hated it because what they really wanted was an anime setting. So, it sold like poo poo and the setting got shoved to last in line to ever revisit.