Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Just find a battleship picture and tweet 'Happy Birthday' to the Navy. I've got an early tee time."

https://twitter.com/dave_brown24/status/1183445427041067008

How do you gently caress up that badly?

So I'm guessing the Navy has a whole department or at least someone dedicated to handing out photos for PR that are copyright etc. cleared.

Is it not easier to call them up and say "hey gimme a ship photo" than trying to do it yourself?

Or hell if you want to DIY just go on Wikimedia Commons and search "USS [Anything]".

I just don't get it, it's more effort to do it wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
How does this happen every loving year? It's either a service birthday, or July 4th, or Memorial Day or something, but every drat year.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
At least that's just some dumbass congressional intern doing that. It's a lot more embarrassing when actual DOD social media accounts gently caress it up.

e: there's also a plaque in my squadron's hangar that uses the silhouette of Russian ships and MiG-29's instead of US forces, I need to grab a photo of that too.

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 14, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You mean pilots don't back onto the decks? You know, so they can take off faster later.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Man alive, those things stop on a dime!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

#KnowYourMil

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

simplefish posted:

How do you gently caress up that badly?

So I'm guessing the Navy has a whole department or at least someone dedicated to handing out photos for PR that are copyright etc. cleared.

Is it not easier to call them up and say "hey gimme a ship photo" than trying to do it yourself?

Or hell if you want to DIY just go on Wikimedia Commons and search "USS [Anything]".

I just don't get it, it's more effort to do it wrong

Well...

quote:

In 2018, Anthony Bustamante, a campaign consultant who had worked on Mast's 2016 campaign, told The Wall Street Journal that he had used data hacked from the Democratic National Committee by Guccifer 2.0, a front for Russia's GRU military intelligence service, to adjust Mast's campaign strategy.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

PneumonicBook posted:

That sure is a thing.

So I've been in mayport for a week waiting for a ship to go underway and I'm still waiting. Sometimes my job is a pain in the rear end.

I was once sent to do a condition survey on an oil drilling rig that had recently been refurbished in Singapore and was about to get towed to Australia.

I was supposed to do the survey in a week, but when I got there they were seriously behind so I got to sit by the hotel pool for a week, at $1000/day.

They then said it's not going to be completely done when they sail, will you go on the tow with her and complete the survey as and when. Tow is expected to take 10 days max. At $1000/day.

I knew that things were not going to go as planned when it took 2 days to unhitch the thing from the quayside, the rig was so overweight they couldn't ballast up far enough to get the lines off and had divers in for 2 days cutting them with gas torches. At $1000/day.

I am not going to describe an offshore drilling rig to you, just accept it's 2 ships joined together by cross members with legs going up that support a deck. Saying that they had changed the cross members that link the hulls on the bow and stern from round pipe maybe 3m in diameter to a square section, to accommodate extra bulk tanks around 10m square. This was akin to trying to tow a cinder block through the water. Sideways. We were assured that all the calculations had been done and it would do nothing to slow the towing speed and we'd easily make 12 knots. We head out to sea for a projected 10 day tow. At $1000/day.

We head out to sea, days pass. At day 10, our projected end of tow we hadn't even passed Bali, roughly the half way point. By day 15 we were passing Bali. By day 17 we were still passing Bali. By day 20 we hooked up another tug as it was super obvious we were never going to pass Bali. We also ran out of food to the extent every meal was basically rice and "something". We almost ran out of pot water and couldn't make any as we didn't have enough load on the engines to get enough hot water to run the evaps. At $1000/day.

We finally get to Exmouth, Australia after 35 days at sea. Nothing worked. Nothing. [Except the internet. We, as client reps, got our own bandwidth which enabled me to play WoW for 16 hours a day.] We had basically told the client that the rig was not fit for purpose and probably wouldn't be until it went back into another shipyard.The owners of the rig were incensed until we pointed out some of our findings, such as when they washed the bulkhead down outside they managed to completely flood the main switch room the other side. The steel under the paint was like a fishnet stocking. It was basically structural, load bearing paint.

Anyway, that's the abbreviated story of how I went away for 7 to 10 days, got back 43 days later, and put in my single biggest invoice ever.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Burt posted:

. The steel under the paint was like a fishnet stocking. It was basically structural, load bearing paint.

Im stealing the phrase, 'load bearing paint'.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Insulated ladderwell.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Burt posted:

Anyway, that's the abbreviated story of how I went away for 7 to 10 days, got back 43 days later, and put in my single biggest invoice ever.

:stare:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Insulated ladderwell.

Nice.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I'll be honest: I don't get that one.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
It's a groverhaus joke.

Still not underway.

nacirema
Nov 18, 2008

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Would that give corpsmen more opportunities for advancement if there were more hospital ship billets?

As someone who is stationed on the Comfort that would be a no.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Wingnut Ninja posted:

At least that's just some dumbass congressional intern doing that. It's a lot more embarrassing when actual DOD social media accounts gently caress it up.

e: there's also a plaque in my squadron's hangar that uses the silhouette of Russian ships and MiG-29's instead of US forces, I need to grab a photo of that too.

Just pull up really, really hard while you wait for some airman to drag your wheel back. I'm sure that'll work fine.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

nacirema posted:

As someone who is stationed on the Comfort that would be a no.

What's it like? I can't even imagine working on something like that

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
https://www.newsweek.com/naval-academy-midshipmen-seeking-temple-satanic-services-campus-1465516?amp=1

Midshipmen are not trying to "burn a pentagram into Ingram Field or to erect a giant horned icon in front of the Zimmerman Bandstand,".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Well, their mascot is already a goat so I don't see the problem.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

piL posted:

https://www.newsweek.com/naval-academy-midshipmen-seeking-temple-satanic-services-campus-1465516?amp=1

Midshipmen are not trying to "burn a pentagram into Ingram Field or to erect a giant horned icon in front of the Zimmerman Bandstand,".

Farragut demands tribute!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Maybe they should drat that Long Lance in front of Dahlgren Hall.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

vulturesrow posted:

Assuming you weren't married, could you or could you not live on 45k a year?

I couldn’t afford my current life on just my 45k but I could easily live nicely on 45k a year in different circumstances.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

PneumonicBook posted:

It's a groverhaus joke.

Still not underway.

poo poo, it could be worse. At least the weather isn't bad. Lemme know if you want to meet for beers someplace.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Blood for the blood god window.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Maybe they should drat that Long Lance in front of Dahlgren Hall.

That's not the kind of torpedo he was damning.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Isn’t there a shrine to Rickover they could use? Pretty sure I heard all the nukes say he was satan incarnate or something.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

McNally posted:

That's not the kind of torpedo he was damning.

Oh fine, spoil my joke.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

Isn’t there a shrine to Rickover they could use? Pretty sure I heard all the nukes say he was satan incarnate or something.

The crypt of John Paul Jones in the basement of the chapel is seriously fitting. It gives the impression that at any moment, the lid could crack open and start spewing fog while ominous latin chanting starts up in the background.

Some candles and a pentagram might actually make it less creepy.

I also unironically would love to have some Satanist chaplains in the fleet. Or if we can't have that, a few Unitarians.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

They named the engineering building after him. Pretty much the same thing.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Is the prison gym in 7-0 still there? That was always a nice, secluded spot.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Standby for an all-hands about not committing smuggling and possible espionage.

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 19, 2019

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
I remember instructing that guy! The weapons and inflatable boat stuff seems weird but the smuggled flash drive stuff is probably not good.

E: Instructed in ASW tactics, not espionage. Good thing I’m incompetent so they probably didn’t get any good info from me.

Wonder Free fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 19, 2019

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Heh I probably walked past him (and you) once or twice there, and one of you probably worked with a good college friend of mine.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I went through IA training with this guy:

https://www.pilotonline.com/military/article_f20a1d79-0b29-5fa4-b097-a7e4a77126e9.html

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/SlenderSherbet/status/1186883709057798144

Huge, if true

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Uh Infosec anybody?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I've never heard of a Chinese sub hitting a japanese fishing boat, probably fake.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

lightpole posted:

I've never heard of a Chinese sub hitting a japanese fishing boat, probably fake.

Too shameful to report. Just help them sink all the way.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

After many years in Virginia Beach (2014-present) I have the opportunity to PCS somewhere else. My wife and I are from San Diego. We've NEVER been stationed there and were hoping for the chance to make it happen. We have a 9 yo daughter and a 10-week old son. We have family in SD and my wife would have employment opportunities there (she's a Medical Lab Tech), but alas, there is gently caress all on CMSID this cycle for anything on the West Coast AKA best coast.

However, there is a command in Sasebo, Japan on the list. It's been gapped for a long loving time. I get the feeling that if I ask for it, I'll get it. We've been overseas before. Sigonella, Italy and Rota, Spain for a total of 4 1/2 years between them. We enjoyed the experience (rose-colored glasses) while acknowledging that we're cutting family off from seeing the kids. That part sucks. But god drat, we will never have another opportunity to live in Japan.

Any of you dudes that have experience in Japan, tell me if we should apply? The billet is Sea Duty, but it's at the staff level at a squadron instead of being on a ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

DustyNuts posted:

Any of you dudes that have experience in Japan, tell me if we should apply? The billet is Sea Duty, but it's at the staff level at a squadron instead of being on a ship.

My family and I were stationed in Sasebo for 3 years. Overall we loved it. It's a great place for families. Some important things to know:

- There is only a naval clinic, not a hospital. Also, it is terrible. If your family is EFMP, or otherwise has medical foibles, it may not be right for you. If you are planning on having another kid while there be advised that your wife will either have to do it in a Japanese birthing center in Sasebo, or be sent away to Yoko or Pearl for the last month or so of pregnancy.

- As a family of 4 you will 90%+ live in base housing. There are two housing areas Dragon Vale (aka Main Base) and Hario Housing. Make sure you take Main Base. It doesn't matter if the only place available is a black mold infested one bedroom apartment. Your quality of life will still be better in Main Base Housing. Hario is at least 30-45 minutes (plus tolls) away from literally everything. It has no direct trains, and cabs to and from are expensive. This leads to people who live there more or less being trapped there, especially if you only have 1 car. If you talk to people that HATE Sasebo there is nearly a 100% chance they lived in Hario.

- The DoDEA schools there aren't great in general. They're mediocre at best. Your daughter will probably go to the middle school which I don't have any direct experience with.

That said, the area around Sasebo is beautiful and fun to explore. The people are awesome. The food is amazing. It offers cheap travel to the rest of Asia. It's much better for families than Yokosuka. My wife and I were just talking about how much we miss it.

(There are only 3 real afloat staffs there. PM me the billet and I can offer you better insight into any of them.)

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 26, 2019