Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s just the unholy pregnant love-child of the Sovereign and Nova classes

drat it really does look like a Nova-class

The Bloop posted:

That Ent F looks fine to me, not great, but fine.

Of course, it can't match the majesty of the J:

there is so much weird poo poo going on here

The other shots of it make it clear the saucer is flattened and note domelike, so why the hell do they need what appear to be ceiling windows?

"everyone look up!"

e: is that really the size of it compared to the other ships? :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
If I recall correctly, the Ent-J had tens of thousands of people living on it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The D could have had tens of thousands of people on it for the size.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

bull3964 posted:

The D could have had tens of thousands of people on it for the size.

Very true, but this is the Star Trek thread

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's supposed to have like hundreds of thousands of people and go on multi century exploration journeys to other galaxies and poo poo.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The other night I semi-randomly picked a TNG episode and got Disaster.

I think a recent Short Trek caused me to subconsciously pick the episode that has not only a stuck-in-an-elevator plot point, but also a character singing "I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major General".

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Disaster is how my kid learned where babies come from

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The J is meant be basically be a GSV and be a flying colony.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I miss Star Trek having ships designed by people who thought about the in-universe practicality of the design versus just making the CGI LOOK KEWL

I guess Sternbach's Voyager is the end result of the former, for better or worse. Whereas anything on Discovery is the latter.

In summary: gently caress Eaves.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jeeves posted:

I miss Star Trek having ships designed by people who thought about the in-universe practicality of the design versus just making the CGI LOOK KEWL

I guess Sternbach's Voyager is the end result of the former, for better or worse. Whereas anything on Discovery is the latter.

In summary: gently caress Eaves.

I'll never, ever forget the story of Rick Sternbach reviewing the original draft of the Nemesis script, which had the Scimitar's warp core (later the thalaron weapon) literally on the bridge. He sent a note saying, "Uh, guys, first, Romulan vessels operate with artificial quantum singularities. Second, what happens if a firefight breaks out on the bridge?"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Snow Cone Capone posted:

drat it really does look like a Nova-class

there is so much weird poo poo going on here

The other shots of it make it clear the saucer is flattened and note domelike, so why the hell do they need what appear to be ceiling windows?

"everyone look up!"

They could easily just have the gravity plating on the "wall" so that those windows are normal. The decks would radiate out from the center instead of being top to bottom.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

In a ship that advanced, you probably have all kinds of ways to keep people visually occupied/informed of what's happening outside beside physical windows, like flawless holographic windows and environments. So maybe you have giant overhead windows in certain places specifically to get a taste of the night sky.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Disaster was the episode which made me a Star Trek fan. Don’t know whether to thank it or not...

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

They could easily just have the gravity plating on the "wall" so that those windows are normal. The decks would radiate out from the center instead of being top to bottom.

That would be so dumb though!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

You won't care because your DNA will be a mishmash of all the different races.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'll be honest, no Star Trek ship designs have ever made any sense to me, and I can't really tell most of the rods + plate designs apart.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Uncleanly Cleric posted:

I always loved how insanely huge the "sets" were in that game.

I mean, I get why, but I can never stop imagining the captain having to scream orders to the poor ensign stuck over on tactical, or maybe a megaphone.

It's to minimize casualties when a console explodes and sends flames and rocks everywhere.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

They're in space! Any orientation is equally dumb

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Khanstant posted:

They're in space! Any orientation is equally dumb

Something something no privileged frame of dumbness.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Snow Cone Capone posted:

comedy option: TNG - The Game

When I think of janky early TNG I think of the Naked Now and The Game. I'm staggered that it's from S5.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

At least it wasn't Threshold...

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Is it?

There's practical uses of it. Might I use Star Wars and point out the gunners positions on the Millennium Falcon. They point straight out into space maximizing their fields of vision by giving them a "down" that is perpendicular to the rest of the ship.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sash! posted:

Is it?

There's practical uses of it. Might I use Star Wars and point out the gunners positions on the Millennium Falcon. They point straight out into space maximizing their fields of vision by giving them a "down" that is perpendicular to the rest of the ship.

All hands to battle stations!

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
https://twitter.com/JezebelKat/status/1182825808093573121?s=19

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also I'm gonna go ahead and say that the closest-to-reality answer is "they're not windows, they're shiny lights because it's Enterprise and of course Enterprise's idea of a 26th-century ship would be festooned with shiny lights"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Well, that was an episode. The best guy was the Barry Zuckercorn lawyer O'brien got saddled with. Do they ever revisit this absurd court system to reform it or are Cardassians just the worst and this isn't their worst thing.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Since I'm a bit late for the Enterprise-F and -J chat:

There is nothing wrong with the Odyssey class (the Enterprise-F), save for the fact that I don't feel like buying one or playing the loot box lottery in STO.

The Universe class (the Enterprise-J) really is two miles long, per Doug Drexler. As an aside, the game's developers had to redesign one mission because five people decided to fly through one small bottleneck at the same time. (They were all in Universes.)

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Khanstant posted:

Well, that was an episode. The best guy was the Barry Zuckercorn lawyer O'brien got saddled with. Do they ever revisit this absurd court system to reform it or are Cardassians just the worst and this isn't their worst thing.

Oh, the justice system is hardly the worst thing about the Cardassians.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
When Sisko decided to go camping on some random gamma quadrant planet with his kid (and Quark and Nog), no tent or anything, it seems like a bad idea. Like, that's a lot of alien plants and animals to just hope aren't going to be deadly. That's exactly what happens but also gets pulled into some intense intergalactic war. Cool science project lol

Season 3 starts off weird, like it's almost like exactly rolling over from last episode of Season 2 except Dax has a different hairdo and Sisko left the room to show up with an invisible jet, but apparently there's been some indeterminate passage of time and the Federation seems to not really be taking things as serious as you'd think for having one of their ships blown away, plus all the others that happened to be in gamma.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 19, 2019

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Khanstant posted:

When Sisko decided to go camping on some random gamma quadrant planet with his kid (and Quark and Nog), no tent or anything, it seems like a bad idea. Like, that's a lot of alien plants and animals to just hope aren't going to be deadly. That's exactly what happens but also gets pulled into some intense intergalactic war. Cool science project lol

Season 3 starts off weird, like it's almost like exactly rolling over from last episode of Season 2 except Dax has a different hairdo and Sisko left the room to show up with an invisible jet.

In the words of purple beard man "this is ds9 baby don't get too comfortable"

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

In a ship that advanced, you probably have all kinds of ways to keep people visually occupied/informed of what's happening outside beside physical windows, like flawless holographic windows and environments. So maybe you have giant overhead windows in certain places specifically to get a taste of the night sky.

The J was intentionally designed to be different and feel alien and beyond what we understand about Starfleet ships. I imagine those windows basically act like skylights for massive open areas below that are laid out more like towns than traditional corridors and quarters.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I think that making it look flat was also a way to try to express how huge the saucer is, like it's thicker than the Ent-D but it looks thinner because the scale of the saucer is just so massive. I don't think it actually achieves that sense of scale since we only see the J so briefly and they never go inside. I always figured it looked like the ARK ship in Phantasy Star Online, so big inside it doesn't even look like a ship interior.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

have we ever star trek'd outside the galaxy? q continuum/mirror universe etc excepted i am keeping it 4d?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

oh but seriously I posted:

have we ever star trek'd outside the galaxy? q continuum/mirror universe etc excepted i am keeping it 4d?

In one of the first TNG episodes they travel to M33 and then to the edge of universal expansion, but that’s a Traveler episode so maybe he just made them all high as gently caress.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

oh but seriously I posted:

They get a little of the way to Andromeda in TOS

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

The J was intentionally designed to be different and feel alien and beyond what we understand about Starfleet ships. I imagine those windows basically act like skylights for massive open areas below that are laid out more like towns than traditional corridors and quarters.

Ok this actually makes sense, especially if it really is a ship the size of a small city

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

When trek wants to be about exploration space is a huge unexplored frontier with entire empires that simply have never been contacted yet. When trek wants to be about politics space is suddenly 20th century europe or something with every scrap of land claimed and a series of complex alliances and spheres of influence dividing up these tense borders.

I mean, during the “age of exploration” (which usually involved slavery and genocide of course), Europe was also a situation where every scrap of land was claimed with a series of complex alliances and spheres of influence dividing up these tense borders.

Hardly a stretch to imagine that parts of the Federation border a bunch of existing empires and other parts border fathoms of unexplored space. Also, I think there’s the assumption that there’s a lot of not-properly-explored planets within Fed space. I’d guess that as long as a planet hasn’t got it’s own interstellar space fleet able to assert their claim on the star system, the borders just get drawn around them.

Presumably the utopian Federation would treat these planets well, but it’s got to be weird for a society to invent warp travel, excited to explore the galaxy and claim a chunk for their own, only to find that they are completely subsumed in an interstellar federation they’ve never heard of.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

The Bloop posted:

That Ent F looks fine to me, not great, but fine.

Of course, it can't match the majesty of the J:

lol I was about to ask what that ugly thing next to the Ent-C was and then I realized it was the JJPrise

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I refuse to accept that it is as large as JJ claimed. That's dumb as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
It's not unexpected; the Kelvin did get enough scans of the Narada for Kelvin Timeline Starfleet to say "Holy poo poo! We need to make bigger ships than the Einstein and Freedom classes if the Romulans have ships like that!!" (STO calls it the Einstein class, which I like better than "Kelvin-type," so that's what I'm calling it) and so we have the Kelvin Timeline Constitution. (And the Armstrong, and the Newton, and the Mayflower, and the Aegis, which I honestly would pay money for if it ever got added to STO.)

What is dumb as poo poo is the Vengeance class being literally twice as big as the Kelvin Constitution, and the giant V-shaped notch in the Vengeance's saucer.

Also, if you want ugly ships, look at some of the 26th century ships from STO. The Nautilus looks like a Universe and an Olympic mated, then crossed with a pizza wheel, the Sagittarius is a four-nacelled smaller Universe (I think it's ugly because four nacelles), and the Paladin looks like a slightly-off hybrid of the Universe and the Akira. (The Theseus kinda looks like a flatter Sovereign/Universe hybrid, which... isn't *that* bad, actually.)