Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Here I will layout the reasons why the next game after CK3 is Victoria 3.

The CEO made that big joke about Vicky. This isn't the kind of thing you do if you have no plans for the series. We know Wiz is working on a mystery project and obviously it would be too soon from his time leaving Stellaris til now to have a game ready for release next year. I also don't believe EU5 will be next because if you look at the Steam daily users chart HOI4 is the most popular game with about 24k daily concurrent. EU4 is slightly behind that with around 20k. Before the F2P release CK2 was getting around 5k. EU4 is a much more healthy game player wise and it doesn't need an updated version badly like CK.

I won't give up hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Bigger map than CK2 :aaa:

Sub-sahara and eastern tibet mentioned.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

singateco posted:

I sense.. in the future... bunch of racists getting mad... and a lot of dumb discussions about censorship..

not even the future, the twitch chat's full of it

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

come on, its ridicilious to take deus vult out of a game called crusader kings cause bad people like it. might as well take out the crusades and byzantium then

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

LordMune posted:

I gave up working on our cool space game to be content design lead on CK3 you guys better like it!!

Should be easy enough though it's gonna be good

I like it, you're doing god's will. Your parents probably love you more than they show.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Davincie posted:

come on, its ridicilious to take deus vult out of a game called crusader kings cause bad people like it. might as well take out the crusades and byzantium then

It'd be like ignoring war crimes in HoI4 and genocide in EU4 or Victoria 2!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ilitarist posted:

It'd be like ignoring war crimes in HoI4 and genocide in EU4 or Victoria 2!

Excuse me, hoi4 only ignores the bad guys war crimes, plenty of war crimes you can do as the allies or soviets!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Caved and got Surviving the Aftermath. First impression: it's much more Banished than Surviving Mars.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
So the schedule has 'New Title from PDS' starting in half an hour if I'm doing time-zones correctly, presumably more CK3 but could be something else?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Fellblade posted:

So the schedule has 'New Title from PDS' starting in half an hour if I'm doing time-zones correctly, presumably more CK3 but could be something else?

The schedule on the twitch stream just lists CK3 at 11:30, so I'm guessing just CK3.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Fellblade posted:

that was ck3 and it was an hour ago. might be summer/winter time causing time zone confusion. all the listed times are central european summer time

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Hell yeah, the CK3 map looks really great. Are there any more screenshots apart from that RPS article?

One UI thing I wish they would give up on is putting everything in boxes on the left side of the screen. I know it's cool to see the map as much as possible but I think I'd rather just have some nice full-screen views where they can make use of the space to present the information really clearly.

Like I'm a bit concerned that the character view still seems to have that set of tabs at the bottom with scrollable lists for your family, court, vassals etc. I always found those really fiddly in CK2.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Davincie posted:

Just make it English instead of Latin, that's likely what they'll do.

They've said for ages they wanted to add china into CK2 but couldn't do it because the engine couldn't handle it so I'm assuming that's what they'll go all in with in CK3. Maybe not right away, but eventually.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Taear posted:

They've said for ages they wanted to add china into CK2 but couldn't do it because the engine couldn't handle it so I'm assuming that's what they'll go all in with in CK3. Maybe not right away, but eventually.

But China wasn't exactly feudal, so how would you fit CK into Chinese non-hereditary mandarin system? I don't think it would work in a satisfactory way.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

But China wasn't exactly feudal, so how would you fit CK into Chinese non-hereditary mandarin system? I don't think it would work in a satisfactory way.

I'd be willing to bet that CK3's system will be a lot more flexible in this regard.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I don’t know if I’m not as much into games as I used to be but for some reason I’m not feeling very grabbed by this?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Vichan posted:

I'd be willing to bet that CK3's system will be a lot more flexible in this regard.

Yeah I imagine there's been a lot of back-end changes so that the game can simulate a wider variety of political systems. Have they said whether you can play as an unlanded person? That's the obvious step in being able to play within some other government systems.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

canepazzo posted:

No Europa Universalis content revealed, bet he's working on EU5

creamcorn posted:

yeah eu4 is getting long in the tooth and it would definitely make sense, as much as i want vicky 3/victoria's secret from him.
It is not EU4. The EU4 team would not have been working on a year+ long DLC only for them to be working on the game's successor in the background. Thats just bad use of a whole dev team's time.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

It is not EU4. The EU4 team would not have been working on a year+ long DLC only for them to be working on the game's successor in the background. Thats just bad use of a whole dev team's time.

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1185537034645135360

Wiz spotted!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

The Byzantines weren't really feudal and I think their latest update worked well.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Red Bones posted:

Yeah I imagine there's been a lot of back-end changes so that the game can simulate a wider variety of political systems. Have they said whether you can play as an unlanded person? That's the obvious step in being able to play within some other government systems.

The answer is apparently yes.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

The Byzantines weren't really feudal and I think their latest update worked well.

Does that mean the Imperial Administration and Viceroyalties described here? Looks like an interesting set of changes.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Wiz confirmed ADTRW poster.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

Wiz confirmed ADTRW poster.

lol is that Victoria's secret or did he jump from a history themed anime dating/inperialism game to a regular anime game

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The funny thing is that from a distance, the cards look like old school MTG layouts, so it looks like it's a combination between an anime dating game and a CCG.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Agean90 posted:

lol is that Victoria's secret or did he jump from a history themed anime dating/inperialism game to a regular anime game

It's the former

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Not what I was expecting, I'm not quite sure what to think, but the stuff talked about sounds really neat.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Gotta say the animated characters are pretty creepy looking and not at all appealing. The other screenshots of systems and updated maps look good except for the full screen lifestyle menu.

Still can't wait for it to release though.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Oh right haha. I got excited for a total overhaul mod or something because I’m dumb and desperate.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I look forward to buying CK3 in 5-6 years after it has a few DLC behind it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

KittyEmpress posted:

I look forward to buying CK3 in 5-6 years after it has a few DLC behind it.

CK2 was fine on release and pretty much the only Paradox game that's true of. Yea Wiz's CK2+ made it a lot better but still.
I unfortunately had the "honour" of beta testing CK1 and I can't imagine how terrible that was.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I have to keep in mind not everything from CK2 can be ported over immediately but there are some quality of life changes with a character focus which will make things more interesting and maybe even a step up from CK2.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Gonna throw out a half-baked opinion: I actually wouldn't mind if CK3 was pretty barebones on release because it means I have a better chance of getting a proper handle on all the mechanics, compared to CK2 where there have always been fuzzy areas.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Wish they had more screenshots or a trailer. The announcement alone isn't doing much for me.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Skill trees?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

fuf posted:

Gonna throw out a half-baked opinion: I actually wouldn't mind if CK3 was pretty barebones on release because it means I have a better chance of getting a proper handle on all the mechanics, compared to CK2 where there have always been fuzzy areas.

After the sea of tears over Imperator, I'd expect Paradox to lean more towards including mechanics that don't work very well just so that people feel like they're getting "content". I mean look at how many EU4 mechanics are straight up garbage (though ironically those were all added in DLCs)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Not sure if anyone else attended got this impression so far, or if it maybe comes across in the stream, but: it really, really feels like Paradox either lowballed the cost of this event to a ridiculous degree, or the events agency that they chose is incompetent/overwhelmed/both. It also feels like the event really lacked a direction.

This is my first PDXCon and I wasnt expecting to be blown away, but I also wasnt expecting to feel this... blah over the whole thing. Gonna just put some thoughts out there:

1.) The location itself was oversold imo. The concept of the Funkhaus sounds nice enough, but at the end of the day it comes across as less of a cool, trendy post-War events location and more like "this building is crumbling and will be barely usable in about ten years, so let's rent it out for cheap events as long as we can". The neighborhood feels kinda sketch too, and overall very lifeless.

2.) The catering was bad... though I'll admit this may be because I checked it out early-ish (just before noon). There was a single relatively small grill, a booth selling Mexican food, a little tiny Italian "restaurant", and a cafe that was accessible by, no joke, climbing though the window. Event staff at the cafe looked and acted completely clueless, underprepared, and overwhelmed. Again though, maybe it got better during the day, but this was my first bad experience of the con.

3.) Seating outside felt like an afterthought, just some biergarten tables plopped down while it was drizzling and cold. Tents would have been nice at least.

4.) The pre-show felt entirely improvised, put together at the last minute, and was cringey as hell. The moderator bizdev dude made the best of it, but it felt like little thought went into it.

5.) Quality of the announcement show was really hit or miss. Some did great at putting their games out there (most of the internal PDX games, Battletech, and Prison Architect), but there were some that were either boring and passionless (Surviving the Aftermath), or were devoid of information and sold by someone who felt completely unsuited (WoD). Johan was a real highlight though, and you can tell dude genuinely loves his game and the direction it's going in.

6.) The swag bags were manila envelopes. No actual bag involved. Someone mentioned elsewhere that they ordered 2000 proper bags and instead only 200 arrived; some of us were speculating that they pulled the bags at the last minute because they were promoting Stellaris Mobile. Either way it looked and felt lovely.

7.) Speaking of the bags, the content was super light. Had the Bloodlines code not been included, it would have felt super light... a t shirt, a sticker, codes for Bloodlines and the Stellaris Lithoid pack, 3 months of an Xbox Game Pass trial, and a 10% off coupon for a gamer chair from some company I've never heard of.

8.) Organization at the play areas seemed missing completely. No idea of where/how one can queue for a game, no idea if there are time limits, etc. This seemed to be the case in the board game area too, and only some of the tables seemed to have staff walking you through proper demos (Cities Skylines didnt seem to have any?)

9.) The vaporwave aesthetic of the theming seems like a wasted opportunity. Besides the "making history" slogan being a generic description of PDX games, I kinda expected the theme to be tied to something (a game release, new IP, whatever). Instead it just kinda felt like someone went "hey, millenials these days like this whole vaporwave thing, let's lean into that for lack of anything cooler"

Dont regret my coming here or anything, since I'll take any excuse I can get for a weekend in Berlin. The ticket amortacized itself through the Bloodlines code at least. And meeting up with mapgoons has been pretty cool and good. But the show itself showed a lot of problems that a show of this size really shouldnt (I work events and helped run a similar sized event in Vienna a month ago), and it just felt overall underplanned and under budgeted.

Also I'm meh as hell on CK3 but that's neither here nor there.

Drone fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 19, 2019

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Nothing about CK3 sounds particularly interesting or new. When one of the top bullet points is "it won't say Deus Vult" they really must be scraping the bottom of the barrel to hype it up, you could use a mod to remove that from CK2 in about 5 seconds. Half the other stuff is already in CK2 like favors, blackmail, inheritable traits, making your own religion.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
What excites me is the big probability that it will be much much better for multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The map looks like they're taking some of the map tricks of Imperator, which seems neat. Maybe terrain might be more intuitive than it was in CK2? Nice colors on the separate realms view. Not a fan of the UI look though. Kinda low contrast.

Neat that they're fleshing out Way of Life to be more detailed and transparent. Maybe this'll mean less chance of event trees quietly becoming defunct over time. I'm not really a fan of bloodline cultivation in Monks & Mystics, but maybe the new dynasty mechanics will be better. Dynamic religions and heresies sounds real cool, and like a more introspective take on what religion was during this period. Maybe this will be different enough to really differentiate from CK2 rather than just being iterative. They're starting with things in mind that they only built up a focus for partway through the life of CK2. I kinda hope they set things up so that it's feasible to try expanding to start dates before Charlemagne, but also setting up a 800 year long game is insane.

This is all moot to me though, since almost certainly my computer won't be able to play this.