Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Depends on the Satanic group you're talking about.[snip]The other one is the worst parts of Ayn Rand's philosophy with the serial numbers filed off. It's easy to forget that they're two entirely separate groups that really don't like each other.

The one that gets up to legal shenanigans is more of a quasi-religious group that mostly exists to whack theocracy whenever it stats cropping up again.
Right, the Satanic Temple is a church (only founded in 2013, for some reason I thought they have been around longer) which focuses on activism, especially around separation of church and state.

The Church of Satan is based on LeVayan Satanism, which is, as you said, a "religious" version of Objectivist "philosophy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yeah my eyes kind of bugged out at that, definitely was not expecting it

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Jethro posted:

Right, the Satanic Temple is a church (only founded in 2013, for some reason I thought they have been around longer) which focuses on activism, especially around separation of church and state.

The Church of Satan is based on LeVayan Satanism, which is, as you said, a "religious" version of Objectivist "philosophy".

The Temple is a really dope organization and is extremely progressive. They hold to seven basic tenants (mostly can be summed up as "Don't be a dick, and don't try to rule other people") and are a proper thorn to the MURICAISCHRISTIAN folks.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Jethro posted:

Fun Fact: The Church of Satan Bible is heavily based off of "MIGHT IS RIGHT" by Ragnar Redbeard!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

MA-Horus posted:

Fun Fact: The Church of Satan Bible is heavily based off of "MIGHT IS RIGHT" by Ragnar Redbeard!

Hello fellow listener to Behind the Bastards.

(It is a very good podcast.)

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

MA-Horus posted:

And for those who dont know what that is: its nazi poo poo.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So... they’re against rule by force but their book is based off of a book that specifically glorifies it?

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

Hello fellow listener to Behind the Bastards.

(It is a very good podcast.)

I too am heavily invested in bolt-cutters.

and Good news.

The Worst Year Ever is Evan's new podcast and great segway for objectively good news.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Turkey's president says all he wants is same powers as Hitler
telegraph.co.uk/01 Jan 2016
"In a world first, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan uses Hitler's Germany as a positive role model for his constitutional reforms"

Yep, old article, but useful when:

Trump praises Turkey's Erdoğan: 'He's a hell of a leader'
politico.com/10/17/2019 (Video)

And:

Trump praised Erdogan for a cease-fire in Syria that Turkey says is 'not a cease-fire'
businessinsider.com/4 hours ago
"President Donald Trump on Thursday praised Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for agreeing to a deal the US has characterized as a cease-fire in Syria.

Turkey promptly disputed this and said it was "not a cease-fire."

Immigrant Nobel Prize Winners Keep Leading The Way For America
forbes.com/Oct 14, 2019
"Immigrants have been awarded nearly 40% of the Nobel Prizes won by Americans in Chemistry, Medicine and Physics since 2000. In 2019, two immigrants earned Nobel Prizes, one in chemistry and one in physics. That is consistent with recent history and shows how immigrants also make important noneconomic contributions to America, according to new research from the National Foundation for American Policy (NFAP)."

Wide gaps in legal protection of LGBTQ workers, analysis finds
nbcnews.com/Oct. 15, 2019
'Rumors started circulating around the fire station in Byron, Georgia, within a year after the medical treatments began. The fire chief's once-crewcut hair was growing longer, and other physical changes were becoming noticeable. Keeping quiet was no longer an option."

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

So... they’re against rule by force but their book is based off of a book that specifically glorifies it?

Satanic Temple is against it, but Church of Satan is for it.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Satanic Temple is against it, but Church of Satan is for it.

Yeah, somebody needs a rebranding or a PR firm. :)

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djGQhjrR9MM

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Rep. Elijah Cummings' First House Floor Speech
"Watch the inspirational poem that Rep. Elijah Cummings read in his first floor speech to Congress in 1996."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6ZhFIqpBAg

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Otteration posted:

Turkey's president says all he wants is same powers as Hitler
telegraph.co.uk/01 Jan 2016
"In a world first, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan uses Hitler's Germany as a positive role model for his constitutional reforms"

It's a shame Erdogan and Trump don't get along, they have the same taste in authors!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

RandomPauI posted:

It's a shame Erdogan and Trump don't get along, they have the same taste in authors!

Like Trump could actually make it all the way through Mein Kampf. Way too many big words.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Trump just read the speeches, which were meant for a general audience.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Thousands join protests against Erdogan in Amsterdam, Den Haag
nltimes.nl/October 14, 2019
'Turkey's invasion of northern Syria last week, resulted in protests against Turkey and its president Recep Tayyip Erdogan in the Netherlands over the weekend. A planned protest on the Malieveld in The Hague drew around 3 thousand protesters. A spontaneous protest at Amsterdam Central Station attracted around 75 demonstrators.

The Hague demonstrators marched through the city, passing the Turkish embassy, on Saturday afternoon. They carried signs aimed at Erdogan, and shouted slogans like "Erdogan terrorist, Erdogan murderer", according to Trouw.

"Today we are all standing side by side. We will not be scared. We want our own state, our own place for our language and culture. That is all we want." One Kurdish protester told the newspaper. Another protester told Trouw she came to send a clear signal that the Turks must halt their invasion. "We want him to stop killing children in Syria", she said. "The Kurdish community is very close. Here in The Hague, but I also know many people in the area that is currently being attacked. Many of my family members are underground or have been inside for days. We are very scared."'

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Posted in the USPOL thread, so copied here.

Lawmakers express “deep concern” over Blizzard’s Hong Kong protest response
arstechnica.com/10/19/2019
"A rare bipartisan issue that Rep. Ocasio-Cortez and Sen. Rubio can agree on."

Chile's Capital Engulfed In Chaos As Metro Protests Intensify
npr.org/October 19, 2019

Chile protests: Fare increase suspended as unrest continues
bbc.com/1 hour ago
"Chile's President Sebastián Piñera has suspended a rise in metro fares after two days of violent protests that brought the capital to a standstill."

Protesters at Barclays Center wear ‘Stand with Hong Kong’ shirts
nypost.com/October 18, 2019

Catalonian president calls for negotiations with Spain after fifth night of violent unrest
cnn.com/October 19, 2019
"More than half a million pro-independence protesters gathered Friday in the Catalan capital, the local police said, for a peaceful march which converged on the city center."

Anti-Brexit Protesters Descend on London as Parliament Debates
nytimes.com/Oct. 19, 2019
"The rally’s organizers said a million people joined a demonstration rejecting Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s withdrawal deal."
"LONDON — As lawmakers huddled inside the House of Commons on Saturday to debate Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s Brexit deal, hundreds of thousands of protesters gathered outside the Palace of Westminster to demand that voters be given the final say on Brexit."

In photos: Violent weekend protests break out around the world
axios.com/1 hour ago
"Protests blazed across the world this weekend, as outrage over Chile's economic situation boiled over, separatist Catalan activists again clashed with police, and tens of thousands amassed in day three of anti-government corruption protests in Lebanon."

He fetishized the military but the generals have had it with feckless, reckless Trump
theguardian.com/19 Oct 2019
"Donald Trump, like all strongmen, fetishizes military might. He dreams of parading armies down the streets of Washington. He exalts men with weapons the way football fans deify their favorite quarterbacks."

Pretty picture tax:

Tax background:
Everything to Know About Romania's Anti-Corruption Protests
time.com/February 6, 2017

insert_funny
Jan 5, 2013

I can never have plastic surgery, because I don't feel like chipping in another five bucks to change the picture.
IT'S SO UNFAIR THAT THE DEMOCRAPS WON'T LET ME MAKE MONEY OFF MY PREDSIDNECY~!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1185735579327193093

[your signature is being processed. check the notification bar for updates]

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

insert_funny posted:

You are still going to be impeached, you dumb gently caress.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

insert_funny posted:

Sorry, I guess I remember factual, documented history that can be looked up in seconds wrong. The search was already done and Doral was perfect, beautiful, top of the list, better than all the other options they looked at.

Unless....gasp....did the president lie to the public?

I'm shocked. Well, not that shocked.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

bird food bathtub posted:

Sorry, I guess I remember factual, documented history that can be looked up in seconds wrong. The search was already done and Doral was perfect, beautiful, top of the list, better than all the other options they looked at.

I mean, he's saying FINE, we won't consider the Doral because you won't stop WHINING about it :mad:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Data Graham posted:

I mean, he's saying FINE, we won't consider the Doral because you won't stop WHINING about it :mad:

After a long exhaustive search akin to that of W's vice-presidential running mate by one Richard 'Dick' Cheney, they will settle on the Trump golf course in Scotland.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

Mulvaney said it wasn't on the list didn't he? That Trump just added it of his own volition.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

insert_funny posted:

Has Trump ever used Camp David for anything?

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Shinji2015 posted:

Has Trump ever used Camp David for anything?

Just to openly invite the taliban to US soil. He was probably also going to have the parents of that dead British boy the diplomats wife killed standing by for a photo op with the taliban.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

osker posted:

Just to openly invite the taliban to US soil.

On 9/11

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Knowing what we know now he’d probably have invited some 9/11 survivors/widows and then had the Taliban come out of a side door and they would all hug for the cameras

mystes
May 31, 2006

It would have been interesting if that resulted in Trump angrily tweeting about how there's no connection between the Taliban and 9/11, though.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
He'd probably blame the central park 5 for 9/11

insert_funny
Jan 5, 2013

I can never have plastic surgery, because I don't feel like chipping in another five bucks to change the picture.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

He'd probably blame the central park 5 for 9/11

If Rudy were smarter, he could have dummied up some evidence that showed the Central Park Five hauling Hillary's entire server farm to Ukraine so they could acid wash each and every email individually.

[your signature is being processed. check the notification bar for updates]

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
WATCH: Republicans for the Rule of Law Ad Highlighting Trump’s Corruption Is Set to Air on Fox and Friends
secondnexus.com/October 18, 2019
"Watchdog group Republicans for the Rule of Law is taking no prisoners in a new ad highlighting the corruption of President Donald Trump. The ad won’t be preaching to the choir either: It’s set to air on ‘Fox & Friends’ on Monday, meaning many of the President’s supporters and quite likely the President himself will see it."

Facebook’s Zuckerberg pushes back against Bernie Sanders’s call to abolish billionaires
washingtonpost.com/Oct. 19, 2019
"Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg appeared to defend the existence of billionaires on Friday, pushing back against Sen. Bernie Sanders’s assertion that nobody in America deserves to be a billionaire.

Zuckerberg, who is worth more than $70 billion, seemed to express concern in an interview on Fox News that eliminating billionaires in America would stifle competition between private and public actors in funding scientific research and philanthropy."

Mattis responds to Trump criticism: 'I guess I'm the Meryl Streep of generals'
thehill.com/10/17/19
'"I earned my spurs on the battlefield; Donald Trump earned his spurs in a letter from a doctor” he said.'

The Bullshit You Have to Believe to Be a Republican in 2019
thedailybeast.com/10.19.19
"Yesterday, you believed in moral clarity. Today, you believe in Trump."

Trump derided Obama’s executive orders as ‘power grabs.’ But in each year of his presidency, Trump has surpassed Obama’s total over the same time span.
chicagotribune.com/Oct 19, 2019
"He's switched sides in a big way: In each year of his presidency, he has issued more executive orders than did former President Barack Obama during the same time span. He surpassed Obama's third-year total just recently."

Amazon workers ‘forced to go back to work’ after fellow employee dies on shift
nypost.com/October 19, 2019
"An Amazon worker in apparent cardiac arrest was lying on the floor of a warehouse for 20 minutes before anyone noticed, according to a report."

Facebook deletes oldest Palestinian news site’s page, which had more than 5 million fans
arabamericannews.com/10.18.2019
"The Palestinian Information Center’s Facebook page was deleted on Wednesday in a move that is being called part of a war on Palestinian content on social media networks."

Chicago Teachers Union strike, Day 2: No agreement reached as weekend starts
chicago.suntimes.com/Oct 18, 2019
"The second day of the Chicago Teachers Union strike ended with no contract agreement in sight. Throughout the day, CTU and Chicago Public Schools officials traded words, and another rally made its way through the Loop where teachers were also joined by several other unions.

Here’s what went down during the second day of the strike:...."

Edit: " $70 billion".

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Mitt Romney had a secret Twitter account that Ashley Feinberg found under the handle, ”Pierre Delicto.”

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

sticksy posted:

Mitt Romney had a secret Twitter account that Ashley Feinberg found under the handle, ”Pierre Delicto.”

He had admitted he had it in an Atlantic article first, though.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/10/mitt-romney-middle-impeachment-fight/600373/

It was his way to follow people on Twitter without them knowing it was him.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I mean, I would imagine most public figures have a pr twitter for work and a personal, anonymous twitter for private use.

Just imagine if Bush was laughing at 9/11 gifs here as "President Bush" back right after or something equally stupid.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

FoolyCharged posted:

I mean, I would imagine most public figures have a pr twitter for work and a personal, anonymous twitter for private use.

Just imagine if Bush was laughing at 9/11 gifs here as "President Bush" back right after or something equally stupid.

Bush just registered for the DPPH subforum

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

whydirt posted:

Bush just registered for the DPPH subforum

Whereas I registered for the bush

Crazy old world

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Feds blow door off safe, issue subpoenas as probe into Giuliani associates escalates

quote:

Federal prosecutors in New York have subpoenaed the brother of one of the recently indicted associates of Rudy Giuliani, according to two people familiar with the matter, as they escalate their investigation in the campaign-finance case.

The subpoena to Steven Fruman is the latest indication of prosecutors' actions since the rushed arrest two weeks ago of his brother, Igor Fruman, and another defendant, Lev Parnas, at a Washington-area airport. Since then, investigators have doled out multiple subpoenas and conducted several property searches, in one case blowing the door off a safe to access the contents, sources tell CNN.

Federal prosecutors told a judge this week that they are sifting through data from more than 50 bank accounts. In addition, they've put a filter team in place as they examine communications obtained via search warrant and subpoena, sensitive to material that could be subject to attorney-client privilege because Giuliani, President Donald Trump's personal attorney, counted Parnas as a client. A filter team is a separate set of prosecutors who are assigned to examine evidence and set aside material that is privileged.

I'm sure this is all just a big misunderstanding.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Really trump was an idiot for isolating the IC.

He should have learned from nixon, what happens when you isolate the IC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
White House responsible for delayed decision on new Agent Orange diseases, documents show
militarytimes.com/2 days ago
"Two years ago, then Veterans Affairs Secretary David Shulkin decided to add three health conditions to the list of diseases eligible for Agent Orange benefits, but White House officials challenged his authority and impeded enactment, according to internal documents obtained by a veteran through the Freedom of Information Act.

Now tens of thousands of veterans are still waiting."

Make no mistake: Medicare for All would cut taxes for most Americans
theguardian.com/25 Oct 2019
"Opinion"

East Liberty Primary Care Doc Pulls The Plug On Insurance
wesa.fm/Oct 8, 2019
"Patients pay up front, so Wong’s practice doesn’t employ a biller. And since he doesn’t accept insurance, he also doesn’t have a medical coder, which is a person whose job is to submit documentation to insurance companies. These are the reasons, said Wong, why he can charge patients so little."

Ted Cruz: Parents Who Let Kids Transition Are ‘Child Abusers'
out.com/October 24 2019
'Enter Texas Governor Greg Abbott and Senator Ted Cruz, who tweeted Wednesday night that parents who support transitioning kids are committing “child abuse.” Along with several other Texas Republicans, they leapt in to strongly condemn the court ruling. In a tweet, Abbott claimed the state’s attorney general’s office and child protective services would be investigating.'

A human rights commissioner in Virginia said being trans is a “mental illness” and homosexuality is an “abomination to the human race”, but is keeping his position.
pinknews.co.uk/October 24, 2019
'He wrote in the post: “This is why we need to stop giving men in dresses passes.

“I have daughters and I won’t accept them sharing a restroom with a grown man suffering from this mental illness.

“Men trying to be women and women trying to be men is really confusing our children and I’m tired of seeing this nonsense promoted to our children.”'

Florida bill giving minors more time to report sex crimes gains momentum
wtxl.com/Oct 23, 2019
"It would eliminate the statute of limitations for sexual battery victims 18 and under. The current range in Florida is between four to eight years, depending on victim age and severity of a crime."

TMZ Emailed The Secret Service About Eminem’s Trump Lyrics. Agents Then Investigated The Rapper.
buzzfeednews.com/October 24, 2019
'This week, the agency turned over 40 pages of documents that prove they did in fact interview the rapper. It turns out their interest in speaking with him was based on “threatening lyrics” from his rap “Framed” that appeared on Revival. The Secret Service characterized Eminem as “exhibiting inappropriate behavior” and noted that he, via the rap, “threatens protectee.”'