Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Wait y'all, I didn't see any cops planting evidence while beating striking firefighters so I think they're all clear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Maybe one of those firefighters threw a rock at the paramilitary unit sent to violently disperse their protest. No angels here.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I sure hope all evidence presented by those rioters will be presumed to be legitimate, but somehow I feel they're not actually cops

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Tous les flics sont des bâtards

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I sure hope all evidence presented by those rioters will be presumed to be legitimate, but somehow I feel they're not actually cops

If France is anything like the UK the most violent of them probably are

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

In a sea of bad posts and dumb takes, I’ve found a big ole fish.

It's a lovely video that shows basically nothing. Don't read deeper than that.

Edit: The cops are probably the shitheels. I just think it's a poo poo clip.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 19, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rsPfk_qwK0

Here is a breath of fresh air for most people in this thread.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

loving lol. Thats amazing. Also i take exception to that guy describing myrtle beach in such favorable terms. Its a complete toruist trap shithole

Edit: holy fuuuuck " should the cops be shot because they made an improper entry" YES HOLY gently caress they shouldnt get any protections under the law if they broke that many rules goddamn

Stravag fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 20, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

A Bad Poster posted:

That number doesn't seem that high to be honest, and adds another tick mark in the column of "take guns away from the cops."

When you consider 'got hit by a passing car' (the most common cop death at work) is a line of duty death, yeah. Cops aren't even top 10 for most dangerous jobs in the US. They're 18. Behind garbagemen, roofers, construction workers in general, groundskeepers, farmers, drivers, steelworkers, loggers, and fishermen.

quote:

18. Police and sheriff's patrol officers
• Fatal injuries in 2017: 12.9 per 100,000 workers
• Total: 95 fatal injuries
• Most common fatal accidents: Violence and other injuries by persons or animals
• Median annual wage: $61,050

Given the nature of police work, this makes sense. Officers are frequently required to work in high-risk situations, engaging in high-speed chases and confronting potentially violent individuals. The most common cause of workplace fatalities among police officers is direct violence from other people, but a close second is transportation accidents.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Liquid Communism posted:

When you consider 'got hit by a passing car' (the most common cop death at work) is a line of duty death, yeah. Cops aren't even top 10 for most dangerous jobs in the US. They're 18. Behind garbagemen, roofers, construction workers in general, groundskeepers, farmers, drivers, steelworkers, loggers, and fishermen.

Uh not my fight, but the text you quoted contradicts your statement.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/jacobsoboroff/status/1185960959132782592?s=21

Oops.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Years late. Those poor kids are traumatized for life now. loving disgusting.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Godholio posted:

Using a video edited to start in the middle of the event is exactly the same as using edited body cam footage to implicate the suspect/victim in police assault cases.

Congrats, you're a cop.

:bigwhat:

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

thabk u for ur concern, this post has already been logged into the bad post register. nothing to see here, move along, shitizen

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1186783624823107585?s=19

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
This story is so loving good. Reporter takes a $9/hr job as a CO in a private prison and is remarkably introspective about his adjustment:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/06/cca-private-prisons-corrections-corporation-inmates-investigation-bauer/

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Victor Vermis posted:

This story is so loving good. Reporter takes a $9/hr job as a CO in a private prison and is remarkably introspective about his adjustment:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/06/cca-private-prisons-corrections-corporation-inmates-investigation-bauer/

I read that back in 2016 when it came out, so my memory might be fuzzy, but didn't he end up on the fast track for promotion just by virtue of not being completely worthless?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Arc Light posted:

I read that back in 2016 when it came out, so my memory might be fuzzy, but didn't he end up on the fast track for promotion just by virtue of not being completely worthless?

Huh. Now that I think about it, a reason why he is being tapped for promotion is the one thing he doesn't dive into (outside of sharing the generic eval text).

I suspect his ability to write "pink slips" in complete sentences might also have been a factor if his description of his meth-adjacent co-trainees and his tacticlol boomer retiree colleagues paint an accurate picture of his co-workers.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/keithboykin/status/1187022153599897601?s=21

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 14, 2022

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Reading the Washington Post it says the student was being disruptive. Examples given were standing on the bus, disrupting class, and taking too much milk at lunch. Now, I can fully understand that 11 years olds can be little bastards, but unless the student is being violent, I can't see any excuse for the officer's actions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2019/10/23/video-shows-police-officer-tackling-an-year-old-girl-he-accused-being-disruptive-school/

"Christensen’s body camera footage begins about 35 minutes before he grabs the student and slams her to the ground. Christensen and other school officials can be seen following her around the campus while they wait for her mother to arrive.

The officer can be heard complaining that the student was “refusing to do anything that anyone says” and that “this has been an ongoing issue.” Christensen told one of the administrators that he was trying to get approval to detain the student.

“Then I can put her in handcuffs,” he said.

Christensen and the school principal then followed the student inside the building, where she lingered by the front, picking at a sign taped to the door. Christensen asked the principal how much the sign was worth and threatened to arrest the student if she didn’t stop toying with it.

“If you destroy it, it’s called criminal damage to property,” he said, raising his voice. “I’m going to charge you with criminal damage to property. Yeah, you’re going to go to jail for 50 cents. Yeah, plus resisting, plus disrupting the education process.”

Minutes later, when the student pushed the principal’s hand away from the door and walked back out of the building, Christensen followed her. Grabbing her backpack, he yelled “you’re done” seven times and tried to force the student’s arms behind her back. During the struggle, Christensen’s camera fell off and recorded the rest of the incident from the ground.

“You’re not gonna assault the principal,” Christensen said, shoving her against the outside of the building.

He wrestled with her for nearly three minutes before letting her get up and walk away.

“Leave me alone,” she said, “I want to go home.”

“You don’t get that option!” he replied, shouting.

He again accused her of resisting arrest and assault — this time on him, too.

Pointing at the camera still filming from the ground, he said, “It’s all on that camera right there.”"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Batting 1.000 on "was the victim another unarmed black kid" game.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

https://twitter.com/demofan24/status/1187053577463914497?s=21

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah comply youll be perfectly safe! Just like Philando Castile!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Right, but at least he got home safe at the end of the day.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I can't breathe

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

EBB posted:

I can't breathe
Took me a minute to tell if that tweet was sarcasm. It shouldn't have.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

The officer that shot an innocent man in a swatting incident in Wichita is now suing the department for lost wages due to being on restricted duty. Unbelievable.

http://www.kake.com/story/41234684/officer-who-shot-swatting-victim-now-suing-the-city

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You probably need a reason to restrict someone's duties and their paychecks. If he was cleared, it seems questionable that they could keep him on that status. If they couldn't trust him, they should've done something else (like not clear him). He'll probably win.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Yeah not that unbelievable. It's one of the main reasons why departments generally handle things in the way they do. Cuz getting sued is loving expensive

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The only unions with enough power to actually advocate for workers in the US seem to be police unions.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I WONDER WHY THAT IS

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

It’s pretty twisted that the only way to legally organize labor effectively in the US is in a profession that actively suppress everyone else’s right to organize.

Do right-to-work states specifically exempt police unions or just leave exceptions designed to allow them and no one else? I don’t know much about labor law but it’s interesting how even the most strident anti-union people completely ignore the worst yet most successful union.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/drrjkavanagh/status/1188298823619301376?s=21

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Cops got a call that he had a gun, when they went to stop him he ran into the subway and got on the train, which is why six billion cops were waiting at the next stop.

He didn't have a gun on him when they stopped him, so he was only charged with jumping the turnstile, as running from the cops is not an actual charge.

So, yes, he was charged with theft of service but that's not why the cops were looking for him.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Smiling Jack posted:

Cops got a call that he had a gun, when they went to stop him he ran into the subway and got on the train, which is why six billion cops were waiting at the next stop.

He didn't have a gun on him when they stopped him, so he was only charged with jumping the turnstile, as running from the cops is not an actual charge.

So, yes, he was charged with theft of service but that's not why the cops were looking for him.

New York doesn't have "failure to comply with a lawful order" on their statutes?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I think just the resisting arrest statutes that automatically adds a felony to your charges when they scream it because a todler makes them fear for their life

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Stravag posted:

I think just the resisting arrest statutes that automatically adds a felony to your charges when they scream it because a todler makes them fear for their life

resisting arrest is not a felony here

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Even if the guy was brandishing an uzi I still don’t think a bunch of cops should point their weapons at a car full of innocent people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
It's dumb as gently caress from a firearms perspective. Subway train walls aren't going to stop gunfire at close range, and you've got hundreds of bystanders who will get that bullet instead.