Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

CompeAnansi posted:

What are good builds for FS9-H and JR7-D?

From what I've read people are saying 2SL + 4MG for the FS9-H. What is the playstyle with that? Just use your mobility to keep high evasion + close shots in the back? I tried doing 2+ MLs but I was roasting my pilot alive, so I guess I need to focus more on support weapons?

For the JR7-D, I am having a similar problem. It runs so hot that it has to sit for 2+ rounds after firing everything. Should I be building it with 3-4 mls? If so, what is the playstyle so I don't roast my pilots?

Drop jump jets.

On the JR7-D this gives you room to more or less max front armor and field 4 MLas plus 1 or 2 heatsinks.

With the FS9-H it's a similar fit but you add 4 MGs and 2 SLas, or 6 MGs.

With both mechs you move around, stay in Cover, and poke things with your arm-mounted Medium Lasers. FS9-H additionally has the option of moving within 90m to deal a lot more damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Conspiratiorist posted:

Drop jump jets.

Strong disagree. The Jenner mounts so many jump jets and you can jump so, so far. Yes, you may accidentally cook the pilot alive, but it's completely worth it for a surprise point blank salvo to the back. Just don't accidentally shut down while you're still engaged.

Firestarter makes an excellent early melee mech and with a loadout of SLs and MGs it'll punch for up to 145 damage, which is enough to cripple most things at the point at which you're still using light mechs.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Watching the VOD, they actually said the COIL laser can build up to 240 Points of damage (!!!!!!!!!) at the cost of a huge amount of heat. (it starts at 40, when they sprinted, it said 280, but that was at a sprint, so I don't think they can reach that and actually fire it)

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Oct 20, 2019

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
pfft, just put all flamers on your firestarter, put a pilot specced warrior in it, have him reserve to last move, then have him go light your biggest nuisance on fire, end turn, do it again and retreat to nothing but luxury called shots for the rest of the round.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SirFozzie posted:

Watching the VOD, they actually said the COIL laser can build up to 240 Points of damage (!!!!!!!!!) at the cost of a huge amount of heat. (it starts at 40, when they sprinted, it said 280, but that was at a sprint, so I don't think they can reach that and actually fire it)

I'm itching to slap one of those on a Cicada. COIL-S is probably much lower, but in early game I think you'll still be making GBS threads your pants when you see a 20T blip.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Yeah, it was a COIL-L, but it was the only weapon on the mech

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Strong disagree. The Jenner mounts so many jump jets and you can jump so, so far. Yes, you may accidentally cook the pilot alive, but it's completely worth it for a surprise point blank salvo to the back. Just don't accidentally shut down while you're still engaged.

Firestarter makes an excellent early melee mech and with a loadout of SLs and MGs it'll punch for up to 145 damage, which is enough to cripple most things at the point at which you're still using light mechs.

A 100 damage "surprise point blank salvo to the back" is not only useless, but actively hazardous to your lance's well-being, in this case by leaving a mech over-extended, isolated, and running too hot to do anything practical for the next two turns.

145 is not a crippling attack, either.

I don't get why people are so obsessed with dedicated "flanker" mechs. Do they just feel really good about being able to outmaneuver the AI? Most stock fits pack 120+ rear armor, so just getting some pot shots in is worthless damage that's not contributing to peeling armor off the sections the rest of your lance is firing at. And I say this as a huge advocate for mobility, who goes full JJs on any mech heavier than 40 tons.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 20, 2019

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
some of the value of flankers is making the enemy AI turn around, too, while the flanker is usually speedy enough to be difficult to hit.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Yeah sure put an Orion in a one and a half skull mission :stonklol:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Shoot it in the head and bootstrap your plucky mercenary company.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Is heavy metal the last DLC, and I assume it'll be $20? Doing math on what makes the most sense since I got flashpoint and the shadow hawk dlc work the humble bundle.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Lawman 0 posted:

Yeah sure put an Orion in a one and a half skull mission :stonklol:

Pilot is probably a recruit so it should be easy salvage. I'd be thrilled.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I got an Atlas like that when I had one heavy and the rest mediums.

That Atlas carried my company on its shoulders from there on out.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Archonex posted:

To go into it a bit more, instead of getting pre-assembled mechs that let you only mess with the weapons and heat sinks like in vanilla Roguetech lets you strip out the internals and just go nuts within the limits of the chassis's ability to handle it. Everything from the engine, to the cockpit and associated sci-fi add ons that the tabletop game are in. Even stuff like being able to deploy drones for spotting and boosting your aim outside of the ECM meta game is possible. Heck, once you are into the early to mid game it's even possible (if not extremely expensive) to refit a mech's hull with a whole new type of material that could give it unique effects or buffs depending on what the material was.

See now this does sound like my jam. Maybe I will check it out.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Credit to the Battletech subreddit:

That Annihilator looks pretty good.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Groetgaffel posted:

I got an Atlas like that when I had one heavy and the rest mediums.

That Atlas carried my company on its shoulders from there on out.

Probably literally.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The Annihilator is the logical conclusion to the Urbanmech, I'm going to load it the gently caress down with Gauss rifles and recreate Gausszilla.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
I haven't played video gsmes in like 8 months but this might get me to start again

Going to do what I always did in Mechwarrior and load up on LBX and make thr biggest shotgun mech possible

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

When were Uziels and Mad Cats around I want em

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

RBA Starblade posted:

When were Uziels and Mad Cats around I want em

3050 for the mad cat and 3055 for the Uziel

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

gently caress, Double Post.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

I really hope they can improve the performance of the game a whole lot. Restarting it every 2 hours and deleting all saves gets really old.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Edit: wrong thread? Wtf awful app.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lockback posted:

Is heavy metal the last DLC, and I assume it'll be $20? Doing math on what makes the most sense since I got flashpoint and the shadow hawk dlc work the humble bundle.

https://www.geekwire.com/2019/harebrained-schemes-announces-heavy-metal-expansion-hit-strategy-game-battletech/

Confirmed $20 yeah! Adds 7 mechs, and a mini-campaign that is played after you finish the main campaign.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
Considering all the newer mechs seem to be getting a special bonus based on their design or role I wonder if they will do this for all the other mechs currently in the game. It seems like a good way to make more mechs a good choice and if done well could help the mechs that are on the lighter side in their weight category. I have been waiting for this DLC to come out so I can boot up the game again. Hopefully, we see more or they start working on a sequel at some point.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

What the hell would a Flea's 'special role' be?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Technowolf posted:

Ablative armor for more valuable mechs? Punishment detail for Deker?

Real answer maybe throw TAG in it (that's included now, right?)

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Technowolf posted:

Converting to cbills.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Technowolf posted:

Double XP for a surviving pilot, but they get a PTSD attribute.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Technowolf posted:

You can field an entire lance at once to immediately get killed

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

You can field an entire lance at once to immediately get killed

+3 defense because the enemy pilots are laughing too hard

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BTW, I finally got around to killing time to wrap up my old career and the game changes apparently reset my rank to "Unknown", giving me a Griffin part as a career mode ending reward lol. Do they improve as you go higher up?

Also wow they added way more flashpoints than I thought to Urban Warfare. More for next month I guess!

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Technowolf posted:

Having to fight anything other than Locust's at the start of the game is a nice change.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I am a little bit disappointed, as I was still hoping for a story DLC. Do we know if there is anything like that on the horizon? A new season of DLCs or do we expect them to move that to Battletech 2?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Heavy metal has a mini campaign as part of it

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
There's a mini-campaign comprised events and flashpoints, based on what they've said regarding how difficult the campaign in this was to make. I'd expect that to be the way forward. Even in a sequel I'd expect a campaign comprised of related flashpoints and events interlinked to one another.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I ended up trying Roguetech and holy poo poo, nevermind. It took me over a an hour to complete a .5 difficulty mission. I don't have time for this crap.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Arven posted:

I ended up trying Roguetech and holy poo poo, nevermind. It took me over a an hour to complete a .5 difficulty mission. I don't have time for this crap.

It does sound breathtakingly grognardy. Which is sort of awesome, in that I'm glad that HBS gave people a platform to bring their insane tabletop fantasies to life. Personally, I'm not even good enough at the base game to win 3+ skull missions in the early mid game without cheesing them with the Raven. RogueTech sounds like a horrible nightmare.

Can anybody say if 3025: CE is a good middle ground between RT and vanilla?

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Norton the First posted:

It does sound breathtakingly grognardy. Which is sort of awesome, in that I'm glad that HBS gave people a platform to bring their insane tabletop fantasies to life. Personally, I'm not even good enough at the base game to win 3+ skull missions in the early mid game without cheesing them with the Raven. RogueTech sounds like a horrible nightmare.

Can anybody say if 3025: CE is a good middle ground between RT and vanilla?

It is. It's my favorite big mod. It adds depth and cool new mechs (many of which are featured in the Heavy Metal dlc) without going insane as Roguetech does.

It's basically vanilla +.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Technowolf posted:

Flea and Locust are both for crowd control (anti-personnel/war crimes) and fast intercept of light lances. The odds of success are much higher for the first use case.