Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Look so long as you call people creatively bankrupt politely no one should be allowed to be angry at you. That’s just manners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

neaden posted:

OK, enjoy acting like an rear end in a top hat then.
ETA: like, no one rushed in this thread. This isn't your house, it's a public space and pack it in isn't an intruder so gently caress off with that.

"Rushed in" is me being deliberately hyperbolic but we can start a territorial dispute over this thread and see who has the larger antlers/can grunt the loudest if you want. I suck at urine marking though, so please be kind in that regard.

Kai Tave posted:

I think there's definitely a well-meaning and polite way to ask a creator what sets their game apart from the things that have inspired it, but doing so by saying things like "the sales pitch of "Persona 5 but woke" feels really shallow and exploitative, like a transparent attempt to manipulate the potential backer into backing a creatively bankrupt campaign" or "this feels like it has absolutely no identity of its own" doesn't really come across like that to me, tbh. Jay's already handled things and I don't care to speak for her in regards to her own project and experiences making it, but I have to admit that reading pack it in's initial post made my eyebrows elevate all the way to the ceiling.

To be clear here too, I'm not acting or speaking on Flavivirus' behalf either but that original post doesn't have any grounding in the reality of the game beyond it sharing a color scheme and a similar font choice to P5.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's for sure a public space and pack it in is welcome to post here, and other people are free to say that calling someone's game creatively bankrupt and exploitative is a pretty fuckin lovely way to approach "hi I have some questions."

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm glad flavivirus has thicker skin than y'all about their own game because at first glance i shared some of those apprehensions about voidheart symphony and the ensuing conversation has made me more interested in checking it out

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm glad flavivirus has thicker skin than y'all about their own game because at first glance i shared some of those apprehensions about voidheart symphony and the ensuing conversation has made me more interested in checking it out

So would you have called it creatively bankrupt? Genuinely curious here, because the point isn't "nobody can have apprehensions or questions about a game, how dare you."

pack it in already
Jul 16, 2009

I would like to apologize to Flavivirus for my unwarranted and incredibly rude comments. All of you who called me out, especially Nuns with Guns, are absolutely correct, and I appreciate that you were willing to rightly criticize my unacceptable behavior. Flavivirus gave us the opportunity to engage with the campaign, and instead of bringing forth kindness, I was needlessly confrontational and unpardonably rude.

Flavivirus, you have been more than gracious, and I admire that you were able to respond to me with such kindness and empathy when I failed to provide the same.

I'm glad that Voidheart Symphony exists. I'm heartened to see so many people excited for it and backing it. The gameplay looks very well thought out, and its themes are especially poignant and important. I will look forward to other UFO Press projects in the future.

Flavivirus, I am very sorry for being so cruel. I also wish to apologize to the thread for dragging it down.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

So would you have called it creatively bankrupt? Genuinely curious here, because the point isn't "nobody can have apprehensions or questions about a game, how dare you."

i mean, maybe if i was asked directly what i thought about the game at first glance?

i dunno, pack it in could've phrased some things better but they were very clearly coming from a genuine place of trying to understand why the game wasn't connecting with them in a way they were initially expecting/hoping. they weren't trying to troll or be an rear end in a top hat for the sake of being an rear end in a top hat, but you wouldn't know it from some of the reactions here

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Brother Entropy posted:

i mean, maybe if i was asked directly what i thought about the game at first glance?

i dunno, pack it in could've phrased some things better but they were very clearly coming from a genuine place of trying to understand why the game wasn't connecting with them in a way they were initially expecting/hoping. they weren't trying to troll or be an rear end in a top hat for the sake of being an rear end in a top hat, but you wouldn't know it from some of the reactions here

Speaking only for myself I don't think they're being a troll no, I just think that they went really hard right out of the gate which maybe was down to their disappointment coming through a bit much, but like I said, it definitely made me do a bit of a double-take. My personal bias here is that I own several of Jay's previously published games and "creatively bankrupt" is not a term I would think to associate with her work.

pack it in already posted:

I would like to apologize to Flavivirus for my unwarranted and incredibly rude comments. All of you who called me out, especially Nuns with Guns, are absolutely correct, and I appreciate that you were willing to rightly criticize my unacceptable behavior. Flavivirus gave us the opportunity to engage with the campaign, and instead of bringing forth kindness, I was needlessly confrontational and unpardonably rude.

Flavivirus, you have been more than gracious, and I admire that you were able to respond to me with such kindness and empathy when I failed to provide the same.

I'm glad that Voidheart Symphony exists. I'm heartened to see so many people excited for it and backing it. The gameplay looks very well thought out, and its themes are especially poignant and important. I will look forward to other UFO Press projects in the future.

Flavivirus, I am very sorry for being so cruel. I also wish to apologize to the thread for dragging it down.

I mean this thread's had worse arguments in the past, I don't think any lasting harm's been done.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

pack it in already posted:

Thanks, I'll withdraw my allegations of your freakiness, too. I'm sorry about that.

Unless you want to be a super freak in the classic 1981 R&B single way, that is.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 18, 2019

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

My personal bias here is that I own several of Jay's previously published games and "creatively bankrupt" is not a term I would think to associate with her work.

well hey that's not even 'bias' so much as you just having more context about the game than me. i've heard good things about previous games but when you're between tabletop groups for a few years it gets hard to justify buying even more games, y'know?

(i'll go back VS just so i can say something good came from me participating in this little kerfuffle)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Brother Entropy posted:

well hey that's not even 'bias' so much as you just having more context about the game than me. i've heard good things about previous games but when you're between tabletop groups for a few years it gets hard to justify buying even more games, y'know?

(i'll go back VS just so i can say something good came from me participating in this little kerfuffle)

Probably the, I guess I'd say, biggest game she's worked on that I own is Legacy: Life Among the Ruins which is what I would consider one of the good PbtA hacks out there, a generational post-post-apocalypse game about rebuilding society and factional politics. It's just recently had a second edition and has a number of its own attendant hacks and spinoffs, including Rhapsody of Blood which puts a Castlevania spin on Legacy where your bloodlines and secret societies hunt evil throughout the ages as it periodically reemerges.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

I think there's definitely a well-meaning and polite way to ask a creator what sets their game apart from the things that have inspired it, but doing so by saying things like "the sales pitch of "Persona 5 but woke" feels really shallow and exploitative, like a transparent attempt to manipulate the potential backer into backing a creatively bankrupt campaign" or "this feels like it has absolutely no identity of its own" doesn't really come across like that to me, tbh. Jay's already handled things and I don't care to speak for her in regards to her own project and experiences making it, but I have to admit that reading pack it in's initial post made my eyebrows elevate all the way to the ceiling.

pack it in already has a really apt username.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I dunno if people have heard about the latest Zombicide kickstarter for a 2nd edition of the game, but it's going on now.

Anyway, I felt the need to point out that one of the stretch goals that just unlocked is an abomination mini of an old friend of SA's...

So, uh, if you want a Slenderman miniature and rules for using it in games of Zombicide, now you can pledge to their kickstarter and get it, apparently

Also, "abomemenation" is terrible

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I do not think “fungus Slenderman” is a thing that needed to exist.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

much like regular slenderman

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

inklesspen posted:

I do not think “fungus Slenderman” is a thing that needed to exist.

sounds like a fun guy though

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Ettin posted:

:whoptc:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ettin posted:

MOD- oh, darn.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Somebody talk me out of 1861: Russia / 1867: Canada. Are they secretly not really a good 18xx intro? Is the designer using his boardgame millions to find eugenics research? Are the pieces still going to be quite poo poo even if they unlock all the stretch goals?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

1861 is one of the worst 18XX games I’ve ever played, dunno if its rebalanced but the version I played was bad

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Mojo Jojo posted:

Somebody talk me out of 1861: Russia / 1867: Canada. Are they secretly not really a good 18xx intro? Is the designer using his boardgame millions to find eugenics research? Are the pieces still going to be quite poo poo even if they unlock all the stretch goals?

61 suffers a lot from a snowball effect, where the game is practically decided by the 4s, when the National forms. They have tame stock markets, predictable route building, and... really don't have much to keep your interest in the long term. 67 is a bit better becuase at least you can start minors anywhere and takes away some of the fidliness.

They're not awful by any means (I reserve that for poo poo like 1853), but there are plenty of other games I'd rather play - 18 Chesapeake/18MEX/1824/1862 are all coming out in the very near future, and much much better buys. 18 Chessie is particualrly good if you're new to 18xx.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Pros:

Cheap for an 18XX game. And you get two!
Supporting a new publisher which means more 18XX games in the future.
Train A E S T H E T I C S (sorry JC)

Cons:

Not the most exciting titles.
Not the shortest games, not the longest either, but not a great intro.

Probably just buy Chessie or get the new printing of 1830.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

This is the rational off-putting I needed. Thanks team

trouser_mouse
Apr 27, 2008

The Kickstarter for Root RPG is at nearly $570,000 with 8 hours to go - pretty impressive!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Apparently this is a thing - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/outerplanetmodels/resin-urbanmech

Let's hope Harmony Gold doesn't find out...

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
https://twitter.com/Papa_Shell/status/1185910789196177409

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

the best ending

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Boy this is just the Year Of The Kickstarter Fiasco, huh?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
This is also how I learned that the Sigmata guy has me blocked on kickstarter even though I've never interacted with him.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Kai Tave posted:

This is also how I learned that the Sigmata guy has me blocked on kickstarter even though I've never interacted with him.

You too?

Edit: Yes, Papa Roach_clip, I am that Bieeanshee on twitter. Good job!

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

quote:

We meant no harm, but we still did harm…

oh word? you care about that now dude?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That guy is just not capable of competence.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

The words he's not finding are "I made a bad hiring decision."

Similar to the words he failed to find when he screwed up tiers: "I made a bad pricing decision." As opposed to "I ran this past a bunch of people and everyone told me it was OK."

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Thanlis posted:

The words he's not finding are "I made a bad hiring decision."

Similar to the words he failed to find when he screwed up tiers: "I made a bad pricing decision." As opposed to "I ran this past a bunch of people and everyone told me it was OK."

Ah, but you see, SIGMATA guy cannot fail, only be failed. Similarly, anyone criticizing him from the left is why the left fails, while anyone criticizing him from the right is why we all need to unify around him against the right. The key part is that he's correct, you see.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Echoes of when he complained at people calling out SIGMATA's lovely politics because he hung out with 'anarchists' and they didn't see a problem.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

alg posted:

the best ending

Aside from the art plagiarism, I missed out on why that KS was bad? Was one of the usual suspects involved?

edit: nevermind he's the tool behind Sigmata. I get it now.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 21, 2019

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Jeez, according to the RPGnet thread there was a prior problem with an artist passing on inappropriately licensed art before the one that shut the Kickstarter down.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Somehow, against all odds, the Kamigakari kickstarter has posted an update.

quote:

Hi again, God Hunters. Amy here.

First, let me apologize for how long it took to produce this update. I wanted to have something concrete to give everyone, so that this isn’t just a lot of big talk.

The Early Access files have been updated, and now include the entire book. We’re still going through editing, but the translation is finally complete and ready for you to consume. It will be made available in a separate backer-only post following this one.

Now, on to much more important news that you probably checked this update looking for: This is how the creation of Kamigakari: God Hunters will proceed.

Unfortunately, we weren’t able to get the lost money back from KrakenPrint. That was the bad news. Good news: We have acquired a partner to continue funding the project, Alan “Milly” Loera, who you may know from from the Serpent Sea Games Discord server or the Legend of Zelda fangame, Reclaim the Wild. He has agreed to fund the completion of Kamigakari and oversee its financial future.

Milly will be investing in Serpent Sea Games to allow us to finish the project as promised, including the print books and expansions. I cannot spend any of Serpent Sea Games’ money without Milly’s approval and will not personally receive any more money until the Kickstarter obligations are complete and Milly has made back his investment. My role as the producer will continue with that restriction. Everyone who has requested a refund will get one in the coming months. I haven’t forgotten about that.

The layout design will now be handled by Todd Crapper, we have brought Rosalie Fox back as an editor to help finish things in a timely fashion, and thankfully, Noelle’s translation work was completed before the events of September. With these combined efforts, we can have a PDF out sooner rather than later, and following that, the print books and expansions that were promised.

See you next month! We’ll probably talk more about editing since, I just want to say it again, the translation is finally done.

Some takeaways:

1). I have no earthly idea who Alan "Milly" Loera is but I have to admit, someone's credentials being "they made a Zelda fangame and also they hang out on our discord" does not inspire an incredible amount of confidence, but at this point it probably can't be much worse than what's come before, so.

2). Amy Veeres is remaining on the project as some sort of unspecified producer, though at this point I have no idea what that entails given that this Milly person is going to be handling all the funding and finances. Someone suggested that she may need to remain the project producer for contractual reasons as the contact with the licensor which makes sense.

3). There's a full translation available in barebones format, though I can't vouch for its exact quality. Promises of refunds and finished print versions are still being made for whatever you feel that's worth.

4). lol Todd Crapper

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Kai Tave posted:

Somehow, against all odds, the Kamigakari kickstarter has posted an update.

Some takeaways:

1). I have no earthly idea who Alan "Milly" Loera is but I have to admit, someone's credentials being "they made a Zelda fangame and also they hang out on our discord" does not inspire an incredible amount of confidence, but at this point it probably can't be much worse than what's come before, so.

2). Amy Veeres is remaining on the project as some sort of unspecified producer, though at this point I have no idea what that entails given that this Milly person is going to be handling all the funding and finances. Someone suggested that she may need to remain the project producer for contractual reasons as the contact with the licensor which makes sense.

3). There's a full translation available in barebones format, though I can't vouch for its exact quality. Promises of refunds and finished print versions are still being made for whatever you feel that's worth.

4). lol Todd Crapper

Todd Crapper does alright layout work at least, though that pitch for Alan Loera raises more questions that it answers.

My main lingering question is... given they're using all of Noelle's translation, was she paid for the work? Has this mystery funding given them enough money to pay for the unpaid work of the folks who left the kickstarter over it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!
Not mine, plugging for a fren

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/565771786/donald-and-boris-28mm-scale-resin-miniatures