  • Post
Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Previa_fun posted:

What was that old site where the guy made a webcomic about how much he hated recreational divers and that diving was super serious and only for business purposes? Sea patrol sticks out in my mind but its ungoogleable.

Sea Patrol!

http://www.aappleyard.com/seapatrol/_story.htm

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Icon Of Sin posted:

:catstare:

He’s wearing a very basic dive computer, that can’t compensate for the varying levels of O2 in his system over the dive. Looks like a Suunto Zoop, which only calculates decompression limits for up to 40% O2/60% N2 as your breathing gas. I think manual O2 add-valves were phased out of military rebreathers in the 40’s or 50’s, maybe?

Congrats on ignoring every facet of basic safety in design, in execution, and every technological advancement in the field of scuba diving for the last 70 years. He doesn’t even have a loving bailout tank ffs, for when his death trap inevitably offers him up to the abyss.

To be fair, the guy goes down to a maximum of something like 20 feet for a maximum of 10 minutes and mostly just motors around to test out the idea. He also admits that this is an absolutely stupid thing to trust your life to, and is just doing it for fun and to learn about how the devices work.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The images on that one are still live, and I was not ready to laugh that hard at them :laffo:

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Video of the crane demolition at the Hard Rock Hotel in N.O.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJi8saASdoE

And in slow motion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWqkbxvxabU

Seems like a lot of explosives, but my only experience in demo work is stuffing firecrackers into plastic models of ships and planes.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Lote posted:

$10 bux says they take out the rest of the building and/or the Sanger theater across the street. I used to live a block away.

Well, they didn't do either of those things yet but it does look like they made a bad situation worse. So there's still hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr2o802gm14&t=10412s

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I don't know much about building imploding, let alone crane imploding, but it looks like at least one of those cranes didn't do what they were hoping it would do. THe one that fell all the way to the ground

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

PinheadSlim posted:

This reads a lot like the rants my friend in the Norwegian army would send me, except add more complaining about HK416s just falling apart in the frozen environment.

loving 416s fall apart in all conditions.

gently caress driving anything diesel in a: the mountains and b: the winter. Rescue trucks routinely careen off of cliffs here, and getting diesel anything to start needs a gas heater under the hood at minus 40. What they don't tell you about those temps is that windchill will just kill you, and you need face cover. The air will hurt to breathe, your uncovered skin will hurt, then get hurt. You literally freeze dry.

Sometimes I really hate the mountains.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nice piece of fish posted:

What they don't tell you about those temps is that windchill will just kill you, and you need face cover.

Why the heck don't they tell you that :confused:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why the heck don't they tell you that :confused:

They, uh, they tell everyone else. Just not him. :shrug:

When I lived in the far north there were warning on the radio that exposed skin would freeze in 2 minutes or whatever so bundle up your kids. Everybody knew.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Tonight, on Man vs. Food...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

smashmouth you had one job.

Also courtesy of the aliexpress thread: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/s5EJbUnW

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Synthbuttrange posted:

Also courtesy of the aliexpress thread: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/s5EJbUnW

Hello, new gearshift knob!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

wesleywillis posted:

I don't know much about building imploding, let alone crane imploding, but it looks like at least one of those cranes didn't do what they were hoping it would do. THe one that fell all the way to the ground

Are you sure about that? Because I'm pretty sure they were both supposed to fall and the one that didn't is now in an even more dangerous predicament

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I drilled my finger :(

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Powershift posted:

I drilled my finger :(

I'm not sure why you would want to do that.

In my own admittedly limited experience, it hurts.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Well you can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Powershift posted:

I drilled my finger :(

You can drill your finger, but don't finger your drill.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Phanatic posted:

You can drill your finger, but don't finger your drill.

bwoah, watch the kinkshaming

Deteriorata posted:

I'm not sure why you would want to do that.

In my own admittedly limited experience, it hurts.

bwoah, watch the kinkshaming

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I've drilled my fingers several times with a pin vise.

Puncture wounds hurt a lot more than youd expect

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
You two guys needs a better hobby than bad mods.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I was putting up pegboard to organize my garage :shrug:

Also, you're just jealous because you're not driving on cotton candy.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Synthbuttrange posted:

Also courtesy of the aliexpress thread: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/s5EJbUnW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXqLWqCqDHc

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Facebook Aunt posted:

They, uh, they tell everyone else. Just not him. :shrug:

Oh goddamnit was everyone told but me? Figures, I had to find out the hard way and now I look like Leatherface.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Coolhand puke. :barf:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

How the hell?

Some days you're the conductor, some days you're the train.

:stonk:

A bunch of other old soviet stuff here, possible NSFW ads http://www.yaplakal.com/forum2/topic2021096.html

This is what they're climbing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_to_the_Conquerors_of_Space

the risk of falling off aside, the monument is cool as hell.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 21, 2019

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Powershift posted:

I drilled my finger :(

Pshhht. You didn't even post from the hospital that you lost a fingat. 0/10.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Powershift posted:

Also, you're just jealous because you're not driving on cotton candy.

Am I right that your life consists of waking up very early in the middle of nowhere, being given a very heavy trailer full of water (the stuff you can get anywhere), then driving all day to the point of collapse to deliver it to a different middle of nowhere late at night, then waking the next day and doing the same thing again?

And that you do it somewhere that has only three seasons: hot, burning sun that turns the sandy roads into soft powder; cold, wet rain that turns the roads into a mudbath and diesel-freezing snow and sleet?

I ask because there's a good chance that isn't a drill-hole in your finger - it may be an eagle that's trying to peck out your liver and got the wrong bodypart.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

palecur posted:

End of an era -- they're finally raising the rail crossing at 11'8":

https://twitter.com/jbphebus/status/1185298845409914880

According to this it will now be 12'4':

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/can-opener-bridge-durham-north-carolina_n_5dab7178e4b08cfcc31c6af0

quote:

Railroad records show that the new clearance height will be 12 feet, 4 inches ― only 8 inches taller ― “for the purpose of improving safety and reducing damage to NCRR infrastructure from vehicle strikes.”

Judge believes 8 inches is “the most they can raise it” without having to reconstruct another nearby crossing, but referred HuffPost to the railroad for details.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Shut up Meg posted:

Am I right that your life consists of waking up very early in the middle of nowhere, being given a very heavy trailer full of water (the stuff you can get anywhere), then driving all day to the point of collapse to deliver it to a different middle of nowhere late at night, then waking the next day and doing the same thing again?

And that you do it somewhere that has only three seasons: hot, burning sun that turns the sandy roads into soft powder; cold, wet rain that turns the roads into a mudbath and diesel-freezing snow and sleet?

I ask because there's a good chance that isn't a drill-hole in your finger - it may be an eagle that's trying to peck out your liver and got the wrong bodypart.

It was my job, i did it for the drive, and saw a whole bunch of really amazing places, some down roads that would be dangerous as hell in a regular vehicle. The interesting challenges were a bonus.

also, it has been like 20 degrees celcius for like 6 months now(apart from a few blizzards) and i love it.

Also, you'd be surprised where you are and aren't allowed to get water. Around here you're not allowed selling water, but you're allowed selling access to it, by the cubic liter, even.

It is funny that you make it sound so menial though, because most of what i used to do has since been replaced by pumps and hoses.

but still, you see "wake up day after day driving back and forth. ", I see "go to sleep 50kms from a man made light source after staring at the sky for a while. wake up and drive through some beautiful areas all day, seeing amazing sunrises and sunsets. and get views only a few hundred or a few thousand have seen before.

I mean

Kind of ironic being able to enjoy nature by working a job that destroys it though. Main reason I'll never go back. I might do highway for a few years to see more of Canada if i can. Unfortunately, there's a massive personal liability in trucking that isn't reflected in the wage, it's a horrible risk-to-reward proposition.

Anyways, back to the matter at hand.

e:

how the hell?

Powershift fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 21, 2019

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

Powershift posted:

Anyways, back to the matter at hand.

When someone in the universe adds height to a barrier, somewhere else a barrier must be lowered to keep the balance in the universe.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I wonder what percentage of collisions this is going to eliminate, like 40?

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Icon Of Sin posted:

:catstare:

He’s wearing a very basic dive computer, that can’t compensate for the varying levels of O2 in his system over the dive. Looks like a Suunto Zoop, which only calculates decompression limits for up to 40% O2/60% N2 as your breathing gas. I think manual O2 add-valves were phased out of military rebreathers in the 40’s or 50’s, maybe?

Congrats on ignoring every facet of basic safety in design, in execution, and every technological advancement in the field of scuba diving for the last 70 years. He doesn’t even have a loving bailout tank ffs, for when his death trap inevitably offers him up to the abyss.

The Article posted:

MISTAKES WERE MADE
:stare:

Edit:

Icon Of Sin posted:

The images on that one are still live, and I was not ready to laugh that hard at them :laffo:

:staredog:

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Oct 21, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Those scooby doos won't know what hit 'em!

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Powershift posted:

It was my job, i did it for the drive, and saw a whole bunch of really amazing places, some down roads that would be dangerous as hell in a regular vehicle. The interesting challenges were a bonus.

but still, you see "wake up day after day driving back and forth. ", I see "go to sleep 50kms from a man made light source after staring at the sky for a while. wake up and drive through some beautiful areas all day, seeing amazing sunrises and sunsets. and get views only a few hundred or a few thousand have seen before.

I'm busting your balls cause you've posted an awful lot of photos of mudswamps and tales of testicle-freezing weather and not much of the romantic joys of being on the road which I thought was something of a myth.

So, 11foot8 becomes 12foot4? That will reduce our fun.

Nevermind, the UK can fill that void with 7footnothing:

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Note to self, never drive a Citroen van.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Dysgenesis posted:

Note to self, never drive a Citroen van.

yeah, don't, they're all lemons

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Boeing 737 MAX tester conversation from 2016