Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ilitarist posted:

A person claiming to be WW2 history buff. Which of those things do you think he is interested in:

- Role of Latin American countries in WW2
- French political situation leading to their actions prior to and during WW2
- Economic effects of the war on USA economy
- Partisan activity in Belarus
- Chinese civil war
- German tanks and machine guns and rockets

It also doesn't help that map games send certain people hard into Dunning-Kruger territory. (Especially right-leaning white boy gamer types who already tend to operate on the assumption that they're the smartest most "rational" person in the room.)

They get a rudimentary understanding of a period from pop-history books, subreddits full of similar types, and paradox and similar games and realize that they're the only person they know irl who knows who Ladislaus Postumus is or can identify the Principality of Tver on a map. Then they end up thinking they're on the level of credentialed historians. And when credentialed historians disagree with them, as in "actually, the Wehrmacht wasn't clean" or "actually, indigenous north americans had many advanced societies," they double-down hard and can end up diving into the far-right rabbit hole because dudes like Stefan Molyneux will reassure them that they were correct all along and academia is overrun by turbowoke communist liars.

Anyway, I hope CK3 ends up good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

LordMune posted:

I gave up working on our cool space game to be content design lead on CK3 you guys better like it!!

Should be easy enough though it's gonna be good

I suspect "liking it" won't be the problem

remembering to eat and sleep will be the problem

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It also doesn't help that map games send certain people hard into Dunning-Kruger territory. (Especially right-leaning white boy gamer types who already tend to operate on the assumption that they're the smartest most "rational" person in the room.)

They get a rudimentary understanding of a period from pop-history books, subreddits full of similar types, and paradox and similar games and realize that they're the only person they know irl who knows who Ladislaus Postumus is or can identify the Principality of Tver on a map. Then they end up thinking they're on the level of credentialed historians. And when credentialed historians disagree with them, as in "actually, the Wehrmacht wasn't clean" or "actually, indigenous north americans had many advanced societies," they double-down hard and can end up diving into the far-right rabbit hole because dudes like Stefan Molyneux will reassure them that they were correct all along and academia is overrun by turbowoke communist liars.

Anyway, I hope CK3 ends up good.

one funny side effect of playing these dumb map games is my geography is both excellent but completely out of date.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Disappointing as hell, yet unsurprising. Don't have heros.

Shocks me that even in sweden things can be no better than america. Death to capitialism (and release vicky 3)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Much like how the New Deal policies were slowly dismantled by capital with the enthusiastic consent of the boomer middle class as they pulled the ladder up after them selves, similar things have been happening in our favourite social democracies in europe. They managed to build up a better and bigger network of social services and economic regulations so it's taking a little longer for capital to dismantle them, but that's the direction it's going for a long time now.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dreylad posted:

one funny side effect of playing these dumb map games is my geography is both excellent but completely out of date.

Wow, you don't know where Pontus was? *Points* Here, you buffoon, you simpleton, you loving clown.

Oh, Syria? Uh....

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Wow, you don't know where Pontus was? *Points* Here, you buffoon, you simpleton, you loving clown.

Oh, Syria? Uh....

Belg- what now? Can't say I've ever heard of it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Similarly: check out this hosed up map that forgot to put the Aral sea in

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Dreylad posted:

My favourite dumb thing about map games is it tells me how dumb I am which leads to getting lost in wiki holes about obscure historical events.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The bad pay kinda stands out, especially at that level (and in Stockholm). Also like Drone mentioned in his write up the overall feel of the convention was... pretty cheap. The catering was bad and the after show activities didn’t really have anything going for them, they also locked the baron level ticket holders out on the Sunday.

There were apparently goodie bags made (see below tweet) but they never acknowledged that the actual thing people got was a T-shirt and an envelope and that felt a bit lovely.

https://twitter.com/quill18/status/1185952744731009024?s=21

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chomp8645 posted:

Oh, Syria? Uh....

Syria? OH, you mean the Abbasid caliphate. I know where that is.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

, they also locked the baron level ticket holders out on the Sunday.

Well, CK3 isn’t out yet so

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Chomp8645 posted:

I don't want to know about loving Pontus!!!!!!!

*jumps out window*

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Arrhythmia posted:

Similarly: check out this hosed up map that forgot to put the Aral sea in

Lol but also :(

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

hobbesmaster posted:

PDS and the publisher are quasi distinct entities. The complaint was about publisher QA, not PDS QA.

it depends on the relationship but the publisher is often times doing the qa in these sorts of scenarios, IE ea etc. given it's technically still in house it probably is one in the same

probably.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Dreylad posted:

"Man where is Bratislava anyway"
"Oh, PRESSBURG, now I know what they're talking about."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
the meeting areas of german and west slavs is the worst for that

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dreylad posted:

I once got in an argument with someone over whether Poland was landlocked or not.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I once got in an argument with someone over whether Poland was landlocked or not.

so did poland

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Can't be landlocked if you can into space.

*Eddie Murphy taps forehead*

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Can't be landlocked if you can into space.

*Eddie Murphy taps forehead*

All black people right?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So Paradox:

1. Announced CK3 instead of Vicky 3, which is going to be bare bones on release but will make CK2 unplayable somehow.
2. Dipped its toes into the mobile market with Stellaris for mobile.
3. Launched a new launcher for Stellaris that sucks rear end and wiped out my 150+ mods.

Paradox why do you do this to me? What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

But really they should make an Industrial revolution type game

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

(Now that I'm calmer:)

LordMune posted:

I gave up working on our cool space game to be content design lead on CK3 you guys better like it!!

Should be easy enough though it's gonna be good
How much of the recent CK2 DLC like Holy Fury, Conclave, Monks, and Reapers Due are getting (more or less) imported into the base game? Will I have to wait two years post-release for CK3 to have as much content as CK2?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I share your concerns about the amount of content in launch CK3 given the current DLC structure, but you know LordMune isn't going be able to answer a question like that.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well at the very least Base CK3 is going to have elements from way of life, given there are focus trees:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm guessing Prowess is the new name for Personal Combat skill. Anyone wanna guess what 'control' is? Something related to managing your realm, probably.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The downside to the Paradox model has always been that a sequel starts out comparatively barebones. Hopefully seeing as CK3 has been in the pipeline for some time it'll be somewhere between CK2 release and CK2 today, rather than dropping all the way back.

Paradox pay your people properly, treat them right, and for gently caress's sake handle allegations of sexual misconduct properly.

Also give us Vicky 3 already, god in heaven.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Hellioning posted:

I'm guessing Prowess is the new name for Personal Combat skill. Anyone wanna guess what 'control' is? Something related to managing your realm, probably.

Province specific revolt measure - less control, more likely revolts.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
We can't really import ready-made features from CK2 DLCs, partly due to prohibitive technical differences, but mostly due to subtle (and not so subtle) design changes between the two games. As correctly assumed above I can't go into details at this stage, but we're both aware of the inevitable CK2 comparisons and dedicated to making the best and most cohesive base game possible (which is often antithetical to just cramming in content, but there will still be some crammin').

It'll be bigger than CK2 was at launch, let's put it that way for now.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Yeah it's been mentioned before that some things learned from CK2 DLC will be in base CK3. Did you guys not read about the map and some other features that were mentioned?
Assuming a 50euro game will be as big in content as a 50euro + 300euro DLC game might be a bad take.

What will we see first, Victoria3 or HL3?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Hellioning posted:

It’s some sort of province value, I’m guessing something like local autonomy. You can see it in a province details screen in one of the other shots.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Oh yeah did anyone else (besides those of us who were there live) notice that one of the first things the new CEO did on-stage on Saturday was to greet/thank The Shareholders (tm)?

Pay your people a decent wage and stop using "passion for the hobby" as it's own reward. Otherwise Paradox is gonna turn into Games Workshop (before they changed course and started being halfway good again)

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

I always tell CS majors that they should steer clear of game development. It almost always (with the possible exception of some indie studios) offers worse jobs in this field than any other businesses. And the reasons are always the same: crunch and unpaid overtime, toxic culture and pitiful wage.

The reason why this field is that bad is because there is nothing that could push it to improve. There is no reason to care about quality, because gamers will buy any crap that's marketed well enough, even if it's unfinished or still on the drawing board. And there is no incentive to care about your employees, there is always more of prior who want to work in this business. Grow big enough and you no longer have to care, you can exploit your programmers until they burn out and replace them with students on internships, or whatever is cheaper.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tahirovic posted:

What will we see first, Victoria3 or HL3?

the idea of HL3 presupposes a valve that still makes video games

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Ms Adequate posted:

The downside to the Paradox model has always been that a sequel starts out comparatively barebones.

EU4 at launch had almost everything EU3 had after years of expansions with more features besides.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Vichan posted:

EU4 at launch had almost everything EU3 had after years of expansions with more features besides.

Yeah, we haven’t actually had any sequels to anything made in the endless DLC era. CK3 will be the first.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

LordMune posted:

We can't really import ready-made features from CK2 DLCs, partly due to prohibitive technical differences, but mostly due to subtle (and not so subtle) design changes between the two games. As correctly assumed above I can't go into details at this stage, but we're both aware of the inevitable CK2 comparisons and dedicated to making the best and most cohesive base game possible (which is often antithetical to just cramming in content, but there will still be some crammin').

It'll be bigger than CK2 was at launch, let's put it that way for now.

I hope you won't forget to include swimming pools on release.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Taear posted:

A lot of Paradox employees post here (and come from here) and none of them have ever really given the impression that it's as horrible as that makes out.

You can be fired for being publically "disloyal" so no one would in the hypothetical scenario that they agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/1186220621363060736?s=21