Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Triarii posted:

Code Vein is a soulslike full of bland and forgettable level design but it has maybe the most incredibly useful map I've ever seen in a game. It has a trail of dots showing the path you've taken, but also has the dots shrink over time based on how long it's been since you walked that way, so it also shows how recently you took that particular path. Without all that the game would've probably been a completely unnavigable maze of identical passageways.

It's honestly, on a separate tack, kind of weird that Code Vein's world and level design is so bland, because the thing that really caught the attention of at least most of the people I know who got into it was just how much flair the character creator has. You'd think that the level designers of a game with that strong a character creator would have some of that rub off on them, seeing that part giving them the courage to be a bit more adventurous, but apparently not.

To some (including me) though it might've just been a bit of a victim of bad timing. It launched pretty close to Astral Chain and its attempts at world design seemed comparable, and it couldn't possibly stand up to Astral Chain in pretty much anything after you gain character control. Even if it's a different genre of action game, it felt like it was being outpaced really hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The trolley in Tomba 2 is....it's awful. There are no redeeming factors to this quest.

Welcome to the hell of being me at age 10. Entire afternoons spent on that minecart and I've beaten both stages maybe twice in 6 or 7 playthroughs.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Riatsala posted:

Welcome to the hell of being me at age 10. Entire afternoons spent on that minecart and I've beaten both stages maybe twice in 6 or 7 playthroughs.

It's a toss up if I hate it or Motocross from the first game more. I remember managing them each at least once in the past, but apparently I'm slow and old now.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In the battle between Anime tits and lumpy-headed europeans who won the round for best souls-like this season?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ItBreathes posted:

"I pledge to punch all switches, to never shoot where I could use grenades, to admit the existence of no level except Total Carnage, to never use Caps Lock as my "run" key, and to never, ever, leave a single Bob alive."

Why aren't people making Marathon-likes

quote:

In the battle between Anime tits and lumpy-headed europeans who won the round for best souls-like this season?

Nobody wins

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Samuringa posted:

Extremely minor nitpick but I'm trying FFXV again and there's a lot of moaning and grunting when you're hanging out. I think they were trying to fill the dead air from when you're running on foot after something but it just makes it worse when everyone is going "hmmm" "ah!" "mhmm" all the time.

I played through Borderlands 3 as Fl4k and just started a new game as Amara. She does this, panting heavily when running and when you stop running there's a few seconds of her making noise to catch her breath. It's pretty distracting.

"Fl4k didn't make these noises!" I say

Fl4k is a robot

:ughh:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Borderlands 3 being an Epic Games Exclusive is dragging me down. I really want to play it but I've heard so many bad things about EGS.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

wafflemoose posted:

Borderlands 3 being an Epic Games Exclusive is dragging me down. I really want to play it but I've heard so many bad things about EGS.

Playing on console but I’ve read that the only time you actually have to use the Epic program is to download the game. You can boot directly into the game without needing Epic every time after that.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I installed EGS to get outer wilds, control, and metro exodus. It still kinda sucks having two launchers installed and I hope this doesn't go the way of streaming services where I have 10 different subscriptions to 10 different launchers, but I haven't had the actual application work poorly on me.

It's not quite as nice as steam in terms of its presentation but it's not bad.

And yeah, I just add the games I want to play as 'non-steam games' to my steam library and they boot fine from there.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Outer Wilds appears to have tripped my motion sickness something rotten and now I'm lying in a dark room feeling sorry for myself

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
The only hassle I get from the Epic launcher is it occasionally telling me about free games I can download, so I don't really mind it. Otherwise, the launcher seems fine and I'm not sure what problem everyone else is having with it? it's not as well developed as steam, but if all you're using it for is launching a game, then it does the job just fine.

Also, in Borderlands 3, why can't I stop the map rotating with my character? They clearly understand some people don't like rotating maps because I can disable it for the minimap, but for some reason that same setting doesn't work for the main map screen :confused:

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
The issue with launchers is that while one or two are fine 10 or 20 all running at the same time is most certainly not. The average computer user isn't going to go in and modify startup settings to disable auto-launching each individual publisher's platform on startup either.

Like it or not, Steam is the standard and publishers need to stop rolling their own special snowflake stores/launchers.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I wanted to like the Borderlands games but playing them honestly feels like playing Cookie Clicker with very slightly more interesting cookies to click on

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PremiumSupport posted:

Like it or not, Steam is the standard and publishers need to stop rolling their own special snowflake stores/launchers.

Epic's devs outright said in an interview that they view this as bringing console wars to the PC, and that they consider this a good thing.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cythereal posted:

Epic's devs outright said in an interview that they view this as bringing console wars to the PC, and that they consider this a good thing.

I see where they're coming from - a good competitor could inspire Steam to improve their practices and do a better job at what they do.

But Epic isn't a good competitor. Despite game launchers being a thing for ages, it took them some time simply to add a shopping cart, or even a library view page. The only reason they've been able to exist for this long is because they can funnel their Fortnite money into throwing cash at developers for exclusivity rights and free downloads. If not for that, they'd be forgotten immediately as another competitor that couldn't make a basic game launcher to save their lives. And it's clear improving the actual customer experience isn't high on their list of priorities, as long as they can just throw money around.

Like it's one thing to say "We want customers to have a choice of stores to shop at and get their games from" but when you're eliminating choice and saying "Buy this game at our store or don't buy it at all," it really drives home that I don't want anything to do with them.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
your typical "we're disrupting the market! :hurr: " business plan

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

PremiumSupport posted:

The issue with launchers is that while one or two are fine 10 or 20 all running at the same time is most certainly not. The average computer user isn't going to go in and modify startup settings to disable auto-launching each individual publisher's platform on startup either.

Epic store doesn't run on startup and it closes when you close the game

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

CJacobs posted:

Epic store doesn't run on startup

Yes it does, I had to disable it. It doesn’t have the decency to manage when it downloads and installs updates like Steam does so whenever anything in your library gets patched it brings your computer to a screeching halt.

My biggest issue with EGS is the entire user experience is somehow worse than Steam despite being the only serious attempt at a competitor to it, 20 years after Steam started. So like, everyone knows what Steam does well and what it does poorly, why are Epic so determined to have the same growing pains?

It’s not really a “console war” because Steam and EGS don’t cost anything, it’s just annoying the end user for honestly no good reason.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Oct 21, 2019

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Tetrisphere is utterly nauseating. I can't even look at it without feeling queasy

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I wish my life was going good enough the only worry I had was whether or not I wanted to download another launcher on my computer.

Also the only reason Steam is the standard is because there aren't many other viable options and that is a Bad Thing

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Outer Wilds appears to have tripped my motion sickness something rotten and now I'm lying in a dark room feeling sorry for myself

I'm sorry, that sucks.

Finally found a game where the default POV setting induced vertigo. It took a little bit to even figure out what was happening. Stumble to bathroom thinking I ate something to make me sick, stumble back to TV feeling better, repeat, feel dumb. The game was Dear Esther, which felt kind of appropriate once I finished it.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Len posted:

I wish my life was going good enough the only worry I had was whether or not I wanted to download another launcher on my computer.

Also the only reason Steam is the standard is because there aren't many other viable options and that is a Bad Thing

In a perfect world multiple delivery platforms try and out maneuver each other to offer a better consumer experience to increase their marketshare, giving the end user a greater experience overall.

In a less perfect world a single relatively benevolent distributor does a pretty good job but maintains a monopoly simply by being the only stable offering.

In the future hellscape we live in 15 different store launchers exist each offering exactly 1 exclusive game tat you give a poo poo about, denying you the ability to even choose which platform you want to use if you want to get all the games you like. This is what 'we should have competitors to steam' is actually going to lead to, not the first option.

It's going to be very much like streaming services where the main draw of netflix is netflix exclusives, not a better user experience, which has already led to a number of competing 'exclusive' services which makes all of them feel shittier and less valuable because you have to manage multiple subscriptions just to get all the content you want.

So no, it's not a Bad Thing at all.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Strom Cuzewon posted:

motion sickness

Somewhat along those lines, I'd never experienced that before but felt a little bit weird in the first hour or so of Alan Wake, of all things. Just your basic third-person camera, but something just feels a bit...off. Like the camera's a bit too tight in and the character model feels turned a bit, so the whole time I'm moving straight forward it feels like I'm constantly skewing a bit to the left. It's the oddest feeling for such a standard game design, and left me feeling vaguely disoriented for a while.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Agent355 posted:

In a perfect world multiple delivery platforms try and out maneuver each other to offer a better consumer experience to increase their marketshare, giving the end user a greater experience overall.

In a less perfect world a single relatively benevolent distributor does a pretty good job but maintains a monopoly simply by being the only stable offering.

In the future hellscape we live in 15 different store launchers exist each offering exactly 1 exclusive game tat you give a poo poo about, denying you the ability to even choose which platform you want to use if you want to get all the games you like. This is what 'we should have competitors to steam' is actually going to lead to, not the first option.

It's going to be very much like streaming services where the main draw of netflix is netflix exclusives, not a better user experience, which has already led to a number of competing 'exclusive' services which makes all of them feel shittier and less valuable because you have to manage multiple subscriptions just to get all the content you want.

So no, it's not a Bad Thing at all.

The streaming services want your money in a subscription format. These are free programs you install, set to only launch when you want them to, and buy a game. I get where you're going here but it doesn't quite match up with how every network under the sun has their own $10/mo service that's the only way to get (thing)

You guys act like having to launch a second program is just The Devil and the amount of insane misinformation about the Epic store is nuts.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Len posted:

The streaming services want your money in a subscription format. These are free programs you install, set to only launch when you want them to, and buy a game. I get where you're going here but it doesn't quite match up with how every network under the sun has their own $10/mo service that's the only way to get (thing)

You guys act like having to launch a second program is just The Devil and the amount of insane misinformation about the Epic store is nuts.

I have the Ubisoft launcher on my computer, it's fine. And some GOG games separate from everything else. It's a pain not having all my games in one place, but whatever.

The problem is that Epic doesn't want to be a 'competitor'. They want to monopolize the market however they can, and are exceedingly transparent about this, and gently caress giving them money for that.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

AngryRobotsInc posted:

It's a toss up if I hate it or Motocross from the first game more. I remember managing them each at least once in the past, but apparently I'm slow and old now.

I don't remember what you get from Motocross but IIRC, at least the rewards for the Trolley were pretty inconsequential and it's placed early in the game. Motocross was the quitting point for me more than once.

As for other things dragging down Tomba 2: I'm on the fence as to whether I find the objectively terrible voice acting endearing or just grating. The dialogue music interrupting the vastly superior zone music is a bummer too.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Riatsala posted:

The dialogue music interrupting the vastly superior zone music is a bummer too.

The dialogue music and the ‘something bad is happening’ music was so bad it almost made me stop playing the game with how often they were shoved in your face.

Also the Trolley mini game from the second Spyro was also pretty terrible. Trolleys in video games are nothing but trouble.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Every time I hear about someone playing Outer Wilds I think "but Outer Worlds isn't out yet" as I am an easily-confused dumbass :(

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

aardwolf posted:

Every time I hear about someone playing Outer Wilds I think "but Outer Worlds isn't out yet" as I am an easily-confused dumbass :(

Literally everyone I've talked to about this game has the same problem, don't worry it's not your fault.

"I just bought Outer Wilds, and "
"Oh, is that out?"
"Yes?...oh wait you're thinking of Outer Worlds."

"Yeah so you fly around, exploring planets. No combat or anything, but-"
"Huh I thought some trailer I saw a while ago had, like, shooting and stuff?"
"...okay, well see that's a different game, and -"

Basically different variations of these conversations.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Len posted:

IMO it's just an annoyance. Steam came along and there was one place where you could keep all of your games, digitally, and never lose them, which was innovative and convenient. A couple companies wanted to keep their software to themselves, and designed their own specific downloads and launchers for them, cool, whatever. Since then it's just ballooned, and these days we've got Epic, Steam, Origin, Xbox library, Battle.net, Riot Launcher, GOG Galaxy, Itch.io, and even more mandatory proprietary launchers popping up all the time like Uplay and Bethesda launcher.

Especially with the more free form launchers, it'd be annoying to find myself in a position asking "which platform did I own that on again?" which is why I feel resistant opening up all these different accounts. I feel like most of the Epic Store feedback is a similar feeling with the sting of "they're actively denying further use of my storied library launcher by buying up exclusivity rights," which legitimately leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

Past that it's just that irritation through vitriolic lens of the Internet Gamer™, I think.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Somewhat along those lines, I'd never experienced that before but felt a little bit weird in the first hour or so of Alan Wake, of all things. Just your basic third-person camera, but something just feels a bit...off. Like the camera's a bit too tight in and the character model feels turned a bit, so the whole time I'm moving straight forward it feels like I'm constantly skewing a bit to the left. It's the oddest feeling for such a standard game design, and left me feeling vaguely disoriented for a while.

Witcher 3 of all things did this to me, I play a lot of action games without getting any motion sickness but something about this game’s camera made me dizzy sometimes

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Witcher 3 of all things did this to me, I play a lot of action games without getting any motion sickness but something about this game’s camera made me dizzy sometimes

It's the swaying trees! The trees!

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Poulpe posted:

IMO it's just an annoyance. Steam came along and there was one place where you could keep all of your games, digitally, and never lose them, which was innovative and convenient. A couple companies wanted to keep their software to themselves, and designed their own specific downloads and launchers for them, cool, whatever. Since then it's just ballooned, and these days we've got Epic, Steam, Origin, Xbox library, Battle.net, Riot Launcher, GOG Galaxy, Itch.io, and even more mandatory proprietary launchers popping up all the time like Uplay and Bethesda launcher.

Especially with the more free form launchers, it'd be annoying to find myself in a position asking "which platform did I own that on again?" which is why I feel resistant opening up all these different accounts. I feel like most of the Epic Store feedback is a similar feeling with the sting of "they're actively denying further use of my storied library launcher by buying up exclusivity rights," which legitimately leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

Past that it's just that irritation through vitriolic lens of the Internet Gamer™, I think.

Yeah this is my opinion as well. On my system I currently have: Steam, GoG, Battle.net, Origin, Epic, and Twitch. Trying to remember which launcher a particular game uses is already a chore if I haven't played it in a while.

On the exclusivity deal side of things, Epic is actively working to deny me my choice to use Steam to manage my games. Instead I am forced to either not play the game, or use their sub-par garbage launcher/store to acquire it. At least most of Origin's titles are available through Steam if you choose.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Len posted:

I've had way more bad experiences with the Microsoft one, including games just not working.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Oh yeah like fully half the GFWL games I bought straight didn't function until they patched them all to remove the GFWL stuff.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
There are universal launchers out there but theyre a headache to setup. GoG is working on one for its Galaxy launcher with user friendliness in mind so ill be all over that once its out of closed beta.

Personally i feel like valve has gotten sloppy over the years and some companies have improved upon the experience, like origin letting me play some EA games before theyre finished downloading (which is nice in a world where 50+ GB installs are no longer shocking) meanwhile valve figured out they can make more money selling asset flipped anime games. I keep using steam as my default because its where my largest library has accrued but Im not too upset if theres a better deal elsewhere, or even if I have to go elsewhere.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I use Steam and GoG Galaxy myself. I know awhile back GoG had a thing where you could import games available on both GoG and Steam to GoG that you owned on Steam (and viceversa) which was a nice idea. It's just a shame that GoG won't let me import my entire steam library, GoG Galaxy is so much more convenient to browse through that Steam is if I don't remeber the name of a particular game that I want to play again.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

In Japanese culture its a lot more common to make grunts and other similar noises when exerting effort and its a hurdle English translations have because it sounds super unnatural 100% of the time.

This looks really humiliating for the actors. Check out Vanille's VO from FF13 doing them (cued to the right time, or go to 3:20 if it doesn't work.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsSY4svjABA&t=201s

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I've bounced pretty hard off of Homeworld, I can see why people like it but it's just not for me.

One of the things that made me groan "oh for gently caress's sake" multiple times, however, was its really obnoxious habit of triggering a scripted event and taking over all of my controls and radically adjusting the camera angle, more often than not just moments before I get horsefucked by a massive swarm of enemy ships.

Taking away control in an effort to be more "cinematic" is tremendously annoying, and shatters my sense of immersion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I boot up all my GoG/Twitch/Epic games and FFXIV through Steam. The app is good, the storefront is garbage - yet somehow still better than most of the others.

Little thing in an actual game: I feel like the party members' progression in Shadowrun: Dragonfall is too stiff. They have their set roles but aside from picking one out of two perks, everything else is automatically allocated when they level up. This makes it so that someone like Eiger or Glory, who both have decent Ranged Weapons skills, are still restricted to their basic weapon types since that's where their focus and new abilities are going to. I can give a shotgun to Glory or an Assault Rifle to Eiger but it's going to have a basic attack and nothing else.