Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah when you log in with the app it just sends the username and pw you typed to the site and saves the login cookie that gets sent back. We don't handle storing or updating any credentials or anything

so yeah this ^^^ is good advice and don't log out of the app until you've sorted it out with the admins!

e- goddamn it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

Yeah when you log in with the app it just sends the username and pw you typed to the site and saves the login cookie that gets sent back. We don't handle storing or updating any credentials or anything

so yeah this ^^^ is good advice and don't log out of the app until you've sorted it out with the admins!

e- goddamn it

Any way to read the cookie on android?
edit: oh wait that wouldn't have the password. Sorry

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

you could inject the cookie data into a browser request, but nah it's not made visible in the app

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Betazoid posted:

How do I reset my password to use the web version of the forums? I'm logged in on my phone. Tried the password reset link, but I have no idea what email I registered with, and I got married after I regged here and changed my email anyway. Thanks!

Hey, as the others have already pointed out, you currently cannot change or reset the password inside the app.
To be honest, I'm not sure how hard it would be to do so seeing as it is possible to do it in the browser via https://forums.somethingawful.com/account.php?action=editpassword .Probably not that hard I guess?
The email is also part of the profile settings so could theoretically be read out. Parsing the profile and forum settings is something that I've been thinking about for a while. I could quickly whip-up a version that outputs the email for you to see if could possibly help you.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Sereri posted:

Hey, as the others have already pointed out, you currently cannot change or reset the password inside the app.
To be honest, I'm not sure how hard it would be to do so seeing as it is possible to do it in the browser via https://forums.somethingawful.com/account.php?action=editpassword .Probably not that hard I guess?
The email is also part of the profile settings so could theoretically be read out. Parsing the profile and forum settings is something that I've been thinking about for a while. I could quickly whip-up a version that outputs the email for you to see if could possibly help you.

Hi, yes, that would be amazing! I have no clue what email I used and I've tried the five I can think of, and they didn't seem to be registered.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Betazoid posted:

Hi, yes, that would be amazing! I have no clue what email I used and I've tried the five I can think of, and they didn't seem to be registered.

I'm guessing you could pm an admin too

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I've noticed one semi-annoying thing lately - if you're browsing a thread (not sure if it's applicable to subforums as well) while the phone switches from daytime to nighttime lighting the app jumps to the top of the page.
I'm shitposting on Android 9 on a Nokia 7 plus.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

mmkay posted:

I've noticed one semi-annoying thing lately - if you're browsing a thread (not sure if it's applicable to subforums as well) while the phone switches from daytime to nighttime lighting the app jumps to the top of the page.
I'm shitposting on Android 9 on a Nokia 7 plus.

I think that's because Android 10 dark mode literally relaunches everything

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

sourdough posted:

I'm guessing you could pm an admin too

Taking matters into your own hands? Screw that. That requires social interaction

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I've been getting a ton of 10-20 second app hangs and the occasional app crash on my OP 6T. Seems to have started about a week ago. No issues with other apps or the phone system itself.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

That reminds me: the daily crashing thing seems to be over for me.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I cleared a ~250mb cache and it seems somewhat better

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

FistEnergy posted:

I cleared a ~250mb cache and it seems somewhat better

Hey thanks for posting this FistEnergy. Awful was freezing when I would switch between apps on my OP6T and clearing the cache (1GB lol) fixed that.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Not sure if this has anything to do with Awful, but the links to the new Retro Gaming and Mobile Gaming subforums in the current announcement don't open in Awful. They just automatically open my browser app, and load the forums there.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I do wish there were a way to force refresh the forum list, I've come into several new forums on my list and I just have to wait until the app decides to refresh to browse them conveniently. Bookmarking a thread in there and using the sidebar works as a stopgap.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ refreshing is kinda heavy because there isn't a reliable central list, so it updates once a day to avoid spamming the site, but you can so to Settings > Forums List and update from there if you need to

Kheldarn posted:

Not sure if this has anything to do with Awful, but the links to the new Retro Gaming and Mobile Gaming subforums in the current announcement don't open in Awful. They just automatically open my browser app, and load the forums there.

The app handles a few urls (like for threads, forums etc, stuff that the app displays basically) so it shows up as a handler when android asks you what you want to open a url with

if your browser is set to handle those links, you need to clear your defaults for the browser app in your phone settings

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Blech. Another chrome update that absolutely tanks the performance of the app.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
Having problems with Twitter embeded videos/gifs playing. They'll work for a while and then at some point they'll start doing a thing where when I hit play, they try to play a few times, then finally give up and show an error that says "This media could not be played". Once it does that once, it seems like every twitter embed does it until I restart my tablet.

Any way to fix this, or at least a quicker way of resetting it so it works again? Tried going into the app settings and clearing cache. Tried force closing the app. Neither worked.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Any plans to support polls?

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
E:double post

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Kind of weird: OLED theme now doesn't do the OLED thing when viewing threads with posts I've already seen - instead, there's a light black background behind all the posts. it goes to regular OLED black at the bottom of the page and in the app UI. not sure if this is a thing happening with my new phone or the app itself

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Kind of weird: OLED theme now doesn't do the OLED thing when viewing threads with posts I've already seen - instead, there's a light black background behind all the posts. it goes to regular OLED black at the bottom of the page and in the app UI. not sure if this is a thing happening with my new phone or the app itself

I just now looked noticed the same thing, so it's not just you.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've got a thread in the LP section. It works fine on my Android tablet and computer but I've noticed it doesn't update properly on my Android phone.

Before I clicked, it showed one new post. After clicking, it acts like I've read the new posts but only shows old posts like so:

I just cleared the cache and it didn't seem to do anything, unless it takes a bit for something to refresh? I haven't noticed it with any other threads yet.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Looks like the memcache bug on the server end. There may be an "invisible" post you can only see on the reply screen (using a browser) until somebody posts again.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I follow that thread, and I checked it in the Awful App on my phone at work. I didn't have time to reply in this thread, but I saw everything up to the post by DACK FAYDEN, which was the last post in the thread at that time.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

There have been new posts since I first noticed it and I even made a post from my phone to see if that fixed it and no dice. Would a reinstall of the app maybe help?

Kowak
Jan 1, 2007

I've read through the thread and might have missed it or maybe misunderstood some of the terminology. Is immersive mode supposed to hide the thread title at the top of the screen and the page bar at the bottom?
I've managed to burn those in on my old phone and would like to avoid it on my new one (Pixel 4XL) if possible.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kowak posted:

I've read through the thread and might have missed it or maybe misunderstood some of the terminology. Is immersive mode supposed to hide the thread title at the top of the screen and the page bar at the bottom?
I've managed to burn those in on my old phone and would like to avoid it on my new one (Pixel 4XL) if possible.

Immersive mode would hide the nav bar and status bar.

Kowak
Jan 1, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Immersive mode would hide the nav bar and status bar.

So I did misunderstand, too bad.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

It seems like youtu.be links don't embed at all, is that right?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Use the [video type=""]tag and it should prompt it to embed properly.

Testing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX85QqzrXO0

Okay looks like you have to change the https to http

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 29, 2019

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Yeah, I sadly have no control over how other people post. All I can see is that sometimes people post YouTube links that force me to leave the app to watch. And I get the impression this happens with youtu.be links (rather than youtube.com links).

My preference would be not to leave the app to watch any posted videos, for what it's worth. What I don't know is whether ignoring the .be type links is something failing, or if they were never included in the embedding code or something else.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Ah I see. Yeah it would be nice if it could automatically detect and handle all the youtube url variants, no idea how feasible that is though.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Party Boat posted:

Ah I see. Yeah it would be nice if it could automatically detect and handle all the youtube url variants, no idea how feasible that is though.
Looks like you can convert one to the other easily, I dunno.

Posting the below intentionally unembedded to hopefully demonstrate the difference.

//youtu.be/mMaIzHkGwO8
https://youtu.be/mMaIzHkGwO8

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMaIzHkGwO8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMaIzHkGwO8

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Hmm, no. They both only offer the "open link" option to watch it in browser. I thought that worked differently and would embed on click. Don't know where I got that.

Sorry to bother y'all.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

if you paste a .be link into the Insert Video widget, it'll convert to the normal URL and set the video tags up so the site embeds it properly

but taking the html the site sends, and searching for plain but potentially embeddable links, and rewriting it to add embed code for each video type... nah we don't do that

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I think salr on desktop does a thing like that, or maybe some other YouTube related script, that's what got me confused. It's fine, I'm glad it's all working as intended then.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

For some reason animated gifs only autoplay in quoted posts for me, but not in the original posts. Any idea how to fix it?

Edit: Clearing 350 MB of app cache seems to have fixed it.

Edit pt. deux: nah, it's broken again.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 2, 2019

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
New install on an Android 8.1, LG V30+, and for the life of me I can't get the app to pull-for-next (it refreshes no matter what "pull for refresh" percentage I have it on), and it doesn't hide old posts.

I first had the beta channel version installed, then left the beta, uninstalled, cleared the cache/data, and reinstalled the non beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Queen Combat posted:

New install on an Android 8.1, LG V30+, and for the life of me I can't get the app to pull-for-next (it refreshes no matter what "pull for refresh" percentage I have it on), and it doesn't hide old posts.

I first had the beta channel version installed, then left the beta, uninstalled, cleared the cache/data, and reinstalled the non beta.

You do know you pull for next up from the bottom and pull down from the top to refresh, correct?