Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

vyelkin posted:

i dont think these numbers get us to a con majority with any electoral system

Some "pr" systems have a top-off for whoever comes in first. Italy's old system was like that, where it was proportional but the party that came in first automatically got gifted enough seats to get a majority. So, in 2013, the three main coalitions got 29.6%, 29.2%, and 25.6%, but the Democrats, because they got 0.4% more, got a majority. Greece is similar, where it's proportional for 250 seats, and the top scoring party gets a bonus 50 on top of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Glad I get to be cheeky to all the bitter conservatives here by saying: "hey this never would have happened if we had proportional representation"

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Shammypants posted:

Liberals winning 160+ seats is actually crazy given things

Considering the perspective of the last week, it's fine. Considering the perspective of a full year, Justin screwed the pooch pretty hard.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
No surprise that the cyrpto nazis in Quebec sided with the bloc this time.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

DynamicSloth posted:

Considering the perspective of the last week, it's fine. Considering the perspective of a full year, Justin screwed the pooch pretty hard.

I don't think it's possible in modern democracies to replicate the results of a wave election twice.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ZeeBoi posted:

yes it's code for white people

harper used the term "old stock canadians" which is the same thing

I prefer the term "bone broth canadians" myself

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Shammypants posted:

I don't think it's possible in modern democracies to replicate the results of a wave election twice.

Without SNC Alladin Liberals easily get a second majority.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Baronjutter posted:

lol has FPTP saved us from a Con majority?

Under prop rep, it would be around cons 115, libs 114, ndp 50

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Pinterest Mom posted:

Some "pr" systems have a top-off for whoever comes in first. Italy's old system was like that, where it was proportional but the party that came in first automatically got gifted enough seats to get a majority. So, in 2013, the three main coalitions got 29.6%, 29.2%, and 25.6%, but the Democrats, because they got 0.4% more, got a majority. Greece is similar, where it's proportional for 250 seats, and the top scoring party gets a bonus 50 on top of that.

These all sound terrible

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
CBC throwing major shade on Bernier

Boy Wunder
Dec 2, 2000

I'm from Saskatchewan and on social media I'm seeing a lot of good old boys that work in the patch who are red, nude, and extremely mad at Newfoundland right now lol

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

lol has FPTP saved us from a Con majority?

Only if 30ish % of the popular vote is somehow greater than 50.

Prop rep hurts the cons in pretty much any scenario that can reasonably happen.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I already have people crying over the Betrayal of the West :laffo:

gently caress the west, and I live here.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

vyelkin posted:

i'm enjoying that he almost certainly could have won the leadership race once scheer steps down but instead he threw a shitfit and now his career is over

he could have only been remembered for leaving classified documents at his girlfriend's place but instead he chose this legacy

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Well if the Liberals govern with the support of the NDP and it pushes them a little more to the left it's probably the best result that could have realistically happened.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Madkal posted:

Good. gently caress him and everyone who supported him.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Madkal posted:

Global did too lol

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Helsing, I have survived both :toxx: clauses, Milton red and blue circling the drain :getin:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh no the frustrated rig pigs are whining again. Let the Albertan bastards freeze in their lifted Ford F150 crew cabs.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Well if the Liberals govern with the support of the NDP and it pushes them a little more to the left it's probably the best result that could have realistically happened.

You see, for the Liberals, there's a blue door, and there's an orange door. They can choose to appease the Bloc instead, which is probably cheaper monetarily.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I'm still lol'ing at the cut to the extremely sad CPC headquarters when the liberals winning was announced.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
W E X I T

Caros
May 14, 2008

Don't even loving joke about this.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Jagmeet ran a solid campaign and somehow his vote share is 5% below loving Mulcair's dogshit trashfire of a campaign from last election

I loving wonder why

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

69% of the vote in Alberta

nice

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Chuka Umana posted:

No surprise that the cyrpto nazis in Quebec sided with the bloc this time.

are you for real

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

More like a M'WEXIT

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Who are all these loving pieces of poo poo outside Alberta/sask/Manitoba voting con why is our country awful

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Shammypants posted:

I mean buying a 5 billion dollar pipeline, interfering with your attorney general, and wearing blackface 4+ times all seem fairly avoidable

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Don Pigeon posted:

are you for real

It's not a tremendous surprise that they jumped ship from the NDP and relatively easy to explain why, although I sure wouldn't go as far to use the same phrase.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Do it ironically posted:

Who are all these loving pieces of poo poo outside Alberta/sask/Manitoba voting con why is our country awful

Racism and gently caress you got mine.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Raitt officially defeated lmao

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

what the f

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
LOL Vancouver is loving going Conservative because of NDP and JWR vote splitting

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

holy poo poo

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Scorchy posted:

LOL Vancouver is loving going Conservative because of NDP and JWR vote splitting

That's my riding 😭

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's not a tremendous surprise that they jumped ship from the NDP and relatively easy to explain why, although I sure wouldn't go as far to use the same phrase.

yeah they're all protest votes

the actual nazi candidate lost his own riding so i def wouldnt use that wording

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Vote splitting at work more IMO.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

DynamicSloth posted:

Without SNC Alladin Liberals easily get a second majority.

Truly then what youre saying is we are entering

A whole new world? :imunfunny:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

LOL the snively CPC kid on Global is trying so hard to be Ben Shapiro