Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

In these times of disunity, perhaps we should stop the pissing contests between whether it's 'the English' who are terrible or 'the British' who are terrible or some other people and concede that over the past 400 years it's been the Europeans who have been the driving force for poo poo around the world, from the Taino to the Congo to the Somme, and that's on the entirety of Europe.

E Stercus Unum

Also we should let a new world government by non-Euro descended people redraw the borders of Europe, ending the nationalism debate once and for all.

Why does the republic of London not contain a fairly large portion of London?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We built Jerusalem in Wingland's green and pleasant land.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Guavanaut posted:

In these times of disunity, perhaps we should stop the pissing contests between whether it's 'the English' who are terrible or 'the British' who are terrible or some other people and concede that over the past 400 years it's been the Europeans who have been the driving force for poo poo around the world, from the Taino to the Congo to the Somme, and that's on the entirety of Europe.

E Stercus Unum

Also we should let a new world government by non-Euro descended people redraw the borders of Europe, ending the nationalism debate once and for all.

While this is true it does downplay how loving awful the British empire was merely by warrant of being the biggest, baddest empire of all the European ones.

Historically Britain does seem to be particularly cruel going all the way back to us inventing the chevauchee in the 1300s, everyone else was playing catch up

Plus our specific brand of killing people and robbing them for Free Markets continues to this day pretty much unchanged at least ideologywise

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Ah yes. Agaricus bisporus, or as you english-speakers call it, the "mushroom" :rolleyes:

I'm not gonna rant on too much about that fairly innocent species, but among mushroom people, that's a shibboleth

also it's the same mushroom, don't pay more for it when it's brown

don't care what species they are, i just like them big

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
I had a walk around Borough market yesterday afternoon (clearing the alcohol related anxiety from the weekend) and they have a decent selection of wild mushrooms but they are on the upper scale of prices I'm willing to pay, otoh I know I could learn to find them but I don't trust myself not to do a death...maybe there is a better/cheaper place to buy than in Borough market? (Might try my local east end one at the weekend)

Also foraging chat while I know nothing about it really is way less stressful of the major chat groups going right now.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I'm thinking about breaking into the mushroom scene what are the best mushrooms?

Mushrooms don't operate on the regular good<--->bad scale, you gotta narrow it down a bit

The most beautiful mushroom, I would argue, is Gyromitra esculenta

look at it, it's amazing

In Sweden at least, Cantharellus cibarius is commonly regarded as the tastiest mushroom

(among higher-brow mushroom people, it's got a slight hint of being a mushroom for people who don't know better, or who aren't really 4 real. not that we wouldn't pick it of course, it's just not the end of our ambitions)

If you want to grow mushrooms at home, the Oyster Mushroom, Pleurotus ostreatus, is a good choice

You can get a kit you place in the cellar or something, not very labour intensive either. I'm not into cultivating shrooms though I've thought about it a lot. Something in me considers growing things to be foraging on cheat mode

Craterellus Cornucopioides is a personal favourite. Both mild and spicy in taste, its colour provides contrast in any full pan of mixed mushroom happiness

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

justcola posted:

I saw this fun dude yesterday

I like it when multiple species of vegetable/fungi/animal live next to each other :allears:

*watches scavenger feeding on corpse* here is an example of nature cooperating across species for the benefit of all

just joking with you of course. but a better example of fungal mutualism might be the mycorrhizal shrooms which are amazing

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Mushrooms don't operate on the regular good<--->bad scale, you gotta narrow it down a bit

look at it, it's amazing

In Sweden at least, Cantharellus cibarius is commonly regarded as the tastiest mushroom

(among higher-brow mushroom people, it's got a slight hint of being a mushroom for people who don't know better, or who aren't really 4 real. not that we wouldn't pick it of course, it's just not the end of our ambitions)

If you want to grow mushrooms at home, the Oyster Mushroom, Pleurotus ostreatus, is a good choice

You can get a kit you place in the cellar or something, not very labour intensive either. I'm not into cultivating shrooms though I've thought about it a lot. Something in me considers growing things to be foraging on cheat mode

Craterellus Cornucopioides is a personal favourite. Both mild and spicy in taste, its colour provides contrast in any full pan of mixed mushroom happiness

I'm just planning on eating them, I grow a bunch of veg and herbs indoors but I'm a'feared of mushrooms

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

feedmegin posted:

Mate, 38% of Scots voted Leave. 52% of Welsh people and I don't think Wales is 1/2 English retirees. It might have been strongest in England but 'Leave is entirely England's fault' is complete bullshit. You might not like that this is true but both Scotland and Wales have plenty of gammons too.

I'm not saying that there aren't arseholes everywhere. I'm just saying that only the English are a majority of arseholes.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Aphex- posted:

don't care what species they are, i just like them big

I've seen Boletus edulis so big the hat could be a millstone

Sadly, it's an insect favourite. So grown specimens are mostly larvae by weight

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
even after the conscription crisis, even after the Easter Rising and the executions, as late as the 1918 GE and 1920 local elections there was still narrow net majority support in what would become the Irish Free State (i.e., excluding Ulster) for non-Sinn-Fein groupings favouring various degrees of incremental home rule or unionism; it was the outbreak of civil war itself and the ensuing heavy-handed, outstaying-their-welcome response by the British that would ensure the outcome was war and the Free State rather than something akin to Quebec

this shouldn't be viewed as something unusual - in the first half of the 20th century, all across Europe there were many examples of governments forming by fait accompli. Stalin's famous remark about the pope's (lack of) divisions is only weird when removed from this historical context

people don't really like violence, by both rebels and by legalist reaction; sneering about the Scots and £50 is a touch rude. If Southern Ireland had held an in-out referendum in 1919, there are good odds it would have voted for continued home rule under a British banner too.

ronya fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Oct 22, 2019

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I know nothing about mycology but I'm tempted to get Morels: The Hunt on Steam because it looks like a very chill mushroom foraging simulator.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Hentai Jihadist posted:

While this is true it does downplay how loving awful the British empire was merely by warrant of being the biggest, baddest empire of all the European ones.

Historically Britain does seem to be particularly cruel going all the way back to us inventing the chevauchee in the 1300s, everyone else was playing catch up

Plus our specific brand of killing people and robbing them for Free Markets continues to this day pretty much unchanged at least ideologywise

Curse those British and their French named military technique pioneered by the ruling class of Norman invaders who had been Vikings and ruled the British with an actual iron (mailed) fist.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

*watches scavenger feeding on corpse* here is an example of nature cooperating across species for the benefit of all

just joking with you of course. but a better example of fungal mutualism might be the mycorrhizal shrooms which are amazing

Oh I meant all the slime moulds and other ones living by it, my partner makes little terrariums with cacti but I'd like to make one with mushrooms - though my experience growing them has always just been the whole thing gets taken over by white mould.

I like eating mushrooms - I always tear them rather than chop as have heard chopping can make them taste a little off? Same with washing the mud off them rather than brushing.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

ronya posted:

even after the conscription crisis, even after the Easter Rising and the executions, as late as the 1918 GE and 1920 local elections there was still narrow net majority support in what would become the Irish Free State (i.e., excluding Ulster) for non-Sinn-Fein groupings favouring various degrees of incremental home rule or unionism; it was the outbreak of civil war itself and the ensuing heavy-handed, outstaying-their-welcome response by the British that would ensure the outcome was war and the Free State rather than something akin to Quebec

this shouldn't be viewed as something unusual - in the first half of the 20th century, all across Europe there were many examples of governments forming by fait accompli. Stalin's famous remark about the pope's (lack of) divisions is only weird when removed from this historical context

people don't really like violence, by both rebels and by legalist reaction; sneering about the Scots and £50 is a touch rude. If Southern Ireland had held an in-out referendum in 1919, there are good odds it would have voted for continued home rule under a British banner too.

There's something to be said for the point that it's the state-based violent response to an rebellion that turns it into something more - Hong Kong seems to be a similar parallel at the moment.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1186564513140805632?s=20

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I'm just planning on eating them, I grow a bunch of veg and herbs indoors but I'm a'feared of mushrooms

Well if you work on your suspension of disbelief, maybe you can grow this at home,

and pretend it's a vegetable? there's a number of good saprophytes you can make happen at home.

You won't find anything very different from an Agaricus in a store I'm afraid, very few species are economically important other than very locally maybe

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
:eyepop:

https://twitter.com/Will_Tanner/status/1186506386928263168

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Nice. Eugenics and the left behind in one easy article!

Edit: Tusk said that they'll decide on an extension after they see what happens today.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Curse those British and their French named military technique pioneered by the ruling class of Norman invaders who had been Vikings and ruled the British with an actual iron (mailed) fist.

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I think the Netherlands invented the specific form of stakeholder corporate colonialism that Britain copied after the so-called Glorious Revolution. Orangemen at it again.

ronya posted:

One of the greatest ironies of the British Isles is how London forced federalism on so many other places as a way to manage internal ethno-religious conflict but would never countenance applying it at home.

Do they specifically link this to urban areas having more mixed heritage children or is that left as an exercise for the Telegraph reader?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

justcola posted:

Oh I meant all the slime moulds and other ones living by it, my partner makes little terrariums with cacti but I'd like to make one with mushrooms - though my experience growing them has always just been the whole thing gets taken over by white mould.

I like eating mushrooms - I always tear them rather than chop as have heard chopping can make them taste a little off? Same with washing the mud off them rather than brushing.

I've never heard chopping them might be bad, and I struggle to find a mechanism for how that might affect taste really. But that's how a lot of mushroom knowledge is, in general, while mushroom habits are often very firm and loudly proclaimed, they're not generally in agreement.

It's fairly accepted that washing mushrooms lower their quality, certainly soaking them over time turns them into mush. I would argue that if you have very good quality shrooms, washing them will probably hurt them more than it helps, while, if they're damaged and dirty, dipping them or rinsing them shortly in cold water probably helps them.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

The gently caress is a "weak gene" supposed to be

Did Liquid Snake write this article

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Gort posted:

An excuse for everything from inequality to genocide, as it has been for centuries.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

look at it, it's amazing

Oh the stenmurkla.

Note to thread, this one is dangerous, a single mushroom is enough to kill you. Boiling (thrice) has been traditionally used to make it safe though lately many consider it simply inedible nowadays, because it has killed experienced people even though they prepared it correctly. I read a personal account of one who had eaten it for 30 years and still got poisoned one day, later he found out the toxin concentration can vary immensely between individual mushrooms and so some can be dangerous even though they have been treated.

Even in non lethal doses the toxin is a carcinogen too.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
You know, the funniest scenario is one in which the British Parliament ratifies the agreement but the European Parliament doesn't. Particularly if it's because the Brexit Party fails to show up as usual.

Edit: ahahaha, Farage has just given a speech in the EP, and it might be that the Brexit Party votes it down because they're so pissed at Johnson.

Pesmerga fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Oct 22, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gort posted:

His Divine Shadow posted:

Even in non lethal doses the toxin is a carcinogen too.
And a good rocket propellant.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

:newlol:

Strong gene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLzPRyMmOGY&t=15s

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It turns out that being bad is down to you being part of the ruling class and isn't connected to any specific nationality.
Who knew?

Pesmerga posted:

You know, the funniest scenario is one in which the British Parliament ratifies the agreement but the European Parliament doesn't. Particularly if it's because the Brexit Party fails to show up as usual.

That doesn't sound funny at all!

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Guys, I just woke up in hospital from actual brain worms (viral encephalopathy) and am still voting labour. There is a light!

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Diet Crack posted:

Guys, I just woke up in hospital from actual brain worms (viral encephalopathy) and am still voting labour. There is a light!

Its interesting that one of the Virus' that can cause that is:

Epstein-Barr virus

Fitting for the current USPOL landscape

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Just read the last few pages, I see the English are at it again

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

tritsch posted:

I had a walk around Borough market yesterday afternoon (clearing the alcohol related anxiety from the weekend) and they have a decent selection of wild mushrooms but they are on the upper scale of prices I'm willing to pay, otoh I know I could learn to find them but I don't trust myself not to do a death...maybe there is a better/cheaper place to buy than in Borough market? (Might try my local east end one at the weekend)

Also foraging chat while I know nothing about it really is way less stressful of the major chat groups going right now.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/8675690/Nicholas-Evans-I-wanted-to-die.-It-was-so-grim.html
This should be required reading before anyone goes foraging mushrooms.

quote:

Three years on, Alastair and Charlotte are still on dialysis, waiting for kidney transplants. Louisa was not so badly affected. In probably the most highly charged transaction of his life, Evans received a kidney from his only daughter, Lauren, last month because his heart was under strain from five hours of dialysis three times a week

It's a good idea to go on a guided forage with someone that knows what they're doing. I've been on a couple in woods near me and they're good fun. There's only a couple of wild mushrooms that I trust myself to ID and eat though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Diet Crack posted:

(viral encephalopathy)
Get well soon. :comfysamus:

CyberPingu posted:

Epstein-Barr virus
"I told you it was an illness." - Pete Townshend

The Telegraph - 'I wanted to die. It was so grim’

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 22, 2019

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Honestly I'd be fine with that Scottish border, except for the facts that -

1) It runs through the centre of a national park, and administering a border there if required could be difficult.

2) I'd be much happier drawing the line just North of Wales instead. (Hell, if Wales like, they can have a poll to join Ireland.)

That said, I feel like everyone except Catalonia would be upset by the mainland borders.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
https://twitter.com/CityAM/status/1185937732062695424?s=19

Lol

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I quite like the guy mostly, but he used his platform to push melt politics so this is sweet:

https://twitter.com/MrRichardMiller/status/1186531237437022208?s=19

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

tritsch posted:

I like Borough Market, but literally every other market in London is cheaper, so if you can find them absolutely anywhere else, that'll answer your question. I can't help with that part though.

Its nickname among market traders is 'Thorough Markup'.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mehall posted:

1) It runs through the centre of a national park, and administering a border there if required could be difficult.
I'm not sure how much thought went into the map beyond "doing to Euros what they did to everyone else" but that may be part of :thejoke:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Dick Chiller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

do many of those uk twitter accounts post on here