Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

It's certainly a good idea to have a decent amount of respect for the mushrooms, and us who think they know some mushrooms do our best to discourage excess enthusiasm in beginners. That being said, if you go out looking for these

And come home with a basket of these

you're nowhere close to the "knowledgeable outdoorsman" you think you are, and in fact should probably never be allowed outdoors at all. And to feed them to your family? Yeesh.

This, anyone who can't identify a loving boletus species (which have pores) doesn't know poo poo about mushrooms.

But yeah, if you are ever in any doubt at all, do not pick mushrooms to eat. They WILL end you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
To revive recurring fast food chat; Wendy's may be launching here.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/american-burger-chain-wendys-coming-20666250

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Aramoro posted:

I voted No in the last Indy Ref but in a new one? I'm not so sure there are now a lot more compelling arguments to leave and become a small European nation.

This is where I'm at too

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Cool I love disappointing burgers and ice cream that makes me sad about not having a Dairy Queen nearby.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Aramoro posted:

I voted No in the last Indy Ref but in a new one? I'm not so sure there are now a lot more compelling arguments to leave and become a small European nation.

Holy poo poo mate if you're thinking about voting for it Yes would probably win by a landslide....

ThomasPaine posted:

Well that was certainly my position in the last indyref because we were neck deep in pre Corbyn hopelessness and an independent Scotland couldn't be worse and might gently caress off the right people. Corbyn changes things, and while labour is run by actual left wingers I'd be hesitant to vote for independence until I know how it all plays out

...but we shouldn't speak too soon, the wheel is still in spin.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Pretty much all the reasons given for voting no in 2014 seem like cruel jokes in 2019

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
"It had been 10 years since I’d picked ceps and I thought: these are a bit more ginger-coloured than I remember. I didn’t spot the crucial difference – that they had gills and ceps don’t.”

I can't begin to express how triggered this makes me. In fact I think the basic premise kind of undercuts the point of the article, since a reader might come away thinking "this is how stupid you need to be to poison yourself", and not all mushrooms are that helpful.

"I went to the store to purchase a cucumber, and only after dinner did I notice that it had teeth." jesus

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Jim Fitzpatrick announcing he’s voting down the line with the government, and is quite happy to admit he hasn’t even read the Bill, but ‘hopes he might have by 7pm’.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

does wendys have a gimmick? what makes it different from the ten million burger places that are a short walk away from me

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

why are so many mushrooms so poisonous, thats hosed up man

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I'm still waiting on half the scotpol posters from back then to apologize for taking the piss about my predictions that the UK would vote to leave the EU and start descending into full fascism. I saw this coming 6 years ago. All of it.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

An accomplished local forager told me that destroying angels are so poisonous that if he sees them when he's out and about he doesn't eat any of the mushrooms he's gathered in that spot - gets rid of the whole lot just to be on the safe side. It might be a bit drastic but it just show the extreme levels of "don't gently caress about with mushrooms" that even experts go to.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

BizarroAzrael posted:

I don't get this at all. Wendy's used to be here. There was one in Oxford St, London and myself and two friends spent many Saturdays from midday until late into the evening there pontificating on life, the universe and everything. We were undergrads so would have been very late 70s / early 80s.

marktheando posted:

does wendys have a gimmick? what makes it different from the ten million burger places that are a short walk away from me

Used to be they did square burgers. Don't know if they still do.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

marktheando posted:

They do the "funny" social medias, and actively reject even attempting to join up on the various sops the other chains have joined to say "hey, we're vaguely trying not killing the world that fast, please buy our burgers." They are insanely anti-worker even by the standards of fast food chains.

but they released a lovely dungeons and dragons clone for big epic memes lol

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

marktheando posted:

I dunno but I'd rather get Carl's Jr, I ate it a lot in russia and it was like a slightly worse but more affordable 5 guys.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

marktheando posted:

Square burgers

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Coohoolin posted:

I mean yeah the catholic church was awful to ireland but "hurrr maybe they shouldn't have abandoned Glorious Britane for their papist ways" is a hell of a take.

Btw, where did the left tube thread go?
It got gassed because it turned into 95% arguing about Your Communism Is Inauthentic And There's No Ethnic Cleansing Under Glorious Maoism Xi Jinpingism and 5% Lefttube.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
http://letslookagain.com/2013/12/wendys-hamburgers/

The history of Wendy's in the UK. First outlet was in 1980. Oxford St as I mentioned above.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Coohoolin posted:

I'm still waiting on half the scotpol posters from back then to apologize for taking the piss about my predictions that the UK would vote to leave the EU and start descending into full fascism. I saw this coming 6 years ago. All of it.

Broken clock etc.

But tbh, that whole referendum was ran on a lot of loving lies from the remain side

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

I've got a couple of questions for the various Scots:
Would you rather a Scotland independent from a Tory run UK or a Scotland being part of a Corbyn/McDonnell (or successor of equivalent credentials) Labour run UK?
Similarly, would you rather a Scotland independent from or part of a Corbyn/McDonnell (or successor of equivalent credentials) Labour run UK?
I'm not including being part of a Tory run UK because nobody loving wants that.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

marktheando posted:

Square burgers (seriously).

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I wish Popeye's came over here, just to see if it's as good as people make out.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sanford posted:

An accomplished local forager told me that destroying angels are so poisonous that if he sees them when he's out and about he doesn't eat any of the mushrooms he's gathered in that spot - gets rid of the whole lot just to be on the safe side. It might be a bit drastic but it just show the extreme levels of "don't gently caress about with mushrooms" that even experts go to.

That's probably overkill, certainly all experts I've heard agree that mushroom needs to be swallowed to kill you. unless you're soaking in its spores I guess

I'd say it's a perfectly fine custom though, since the anguish of having discarded perfectly fine shroom is less than that of worrying that maybe you ate a wrong one. Amatoxin doesn't show symptoms for weeks sometimes

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

ThomasPaine posted:

Square burgers

Well it works well for sausage I guess

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

chestnut santabag posted:

Would you rather a Scotland independent from a Tory run UK or a Scotland being part of a Corbyn/McDonnell (or successor of equivalent credentials) Labour run UK?
Similarly, would you rather a Scotland independent from or part of a Corbyn/McDonnell (or successor of equivalent credentials) Labour run UK?

I would rather be part of a Labour run UK rather than a Neo-lib run Indy Scotland.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Coohoolin posted:

Btw, where did the left tube thread go?
there are one or two in this thread who were regular posters in LeftTube thread; they might find this article interesting:

https://anarchasteminist.wordpress....QsRgvzENseInX0o

a brief application of the 1970 essay The Tyranny of Structurelessness to recent events

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

marktheando posted:

square patties, milkshakes, supposedly better fries, chilli

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

CoolCab posted:

square patties, milkshakes, supposedly better fries, chilli

Pretty sure the other joints do milkshakes.

Or do you mean they do square milkshakes

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

marktheando posted:

Well it works well for sausage I guess

Lorne is loving grim imho

Yeah this is the opinion that gets me outed as English

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Westminster will never really listen to Scotland which is the issue here,

Id be interested to see if Scotland can run by itself, but again, its not one of those things you can just choose to run for a trial period

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Catzilla posted:

Square burgers (seriously).
That's a strange way of spelling lorne sausage.

gh0stpinballa posted:

why are so many mushrooms so poisonous, thats hosed up man
Mycology is crazy. Fungal cells are closer to animal cells than plant cells, but being static they've evolved all kinds of chemical pathways to protect themselves.

It's no coincidence that our first antibiotics all came from fungi.

(There's a fringe theory that human language came from fungi too.)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Guavanaut posted:

Mycology is crazy. Fungal cells are closer to animal cells than plant cells, but being static they've evolved all kinds of chemical pathways to protect themselves.

extremely loving stupid in the new star trek though

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Do we have anyone from Inverness here? I'm thinking of making a significant change in my life and following my dreams of living in the Highlands, curious if any goons can recommend living there. Work would be a concern obviously. Are the English generally welcome up there? I ask that cos my mum lived in North Wales for a bit and wasn't terribly welcome.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Guavanaut posted:

That's a strange way of spelling lorne sausage.

its like an arms race!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Pretty sure the other joints do milkshakes.

Or do you mean they do square milkshakes

yeah and other joints do ice cream, it’s still definitely dairy queen’s gimmick. Wendys promote Frosties (thanks autocorrect ugh) in a way mc ds or bk do not

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Deketh posted:

Do we have anyone from Inverness here? I'm thinking of making a significant change in my life and following my dreams of living in the Highlands, curious if any goons can recommend living there. Work would be a concern obviously. Are the English generally welcome up there? I ask that cos my mum lived in North Wales for a bit and wasn't terribly welcome.

As long as you're not a prick you'll be fine

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Don't care about Wendy's. Let me know when In-n-Out burger comes to the UK.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

extremely loving stupid in the new star trek though

quote:

Episodes 4 and 5, released on Oct. 8 and 15, revealed that the USS Discovery, the ship that the series revolves around, has an advanced form of transport that allows it to travel anywhere in the universe instantaneously. Unlike all previous Star Trek transport tech, this one uses a biological mechanism, based on mushrooms.
:psyduck:

quote:

The DASH (Displacement Activated Spore Hub) drive uses mushroom spores as its power source. They've discovered a special fungus whose root system extends "throughout subspace" all over the galaxy. Using spores from this fungus, the ship can jump into subspace (or something like that) and jump out somewhere else in real space, light years away, in a matter of seconds.
:psypop:

quote:

Star Trek Discovery's tardigrade is, shall we say, rather different. It looks a bit like the picture shown here, but it's about the size of a large grizzly bear and is incredibly strong and extremely fierce. On the show, they call it a "giant space tardigrade."

But that's not all. Thanks to a unique biological property that the show's writers apparently misunderstood, the space tardigrade can access the mushroom network to travel throughout the universe, wherever and whenever it chooses.

"Like its microscopic cousins on Earth, the tardigrade is able to incorporate foreign DNA into its own genome via horizontal gene transfer. When Ripper [the space tardigrade] borrows DNA from the mycelium [the mushroom], he's granted an all-access travel pass."
:psyboom:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

The English are a predictably reactionary bunch of fash so any good lab government will always be followed by at least 15 years of tories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
There's a prof at UWE, Adam Adamatzky, who is obsessed with using fungi for computing. There's a demo you should be able to find a video of pretty easily using slime mould to solve a shortest path problem in parallel, but he's taken it a lot further. I think he did, or at least designed, a crab based computer too.