Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I've only been visiting but I thought inverness was the least highlandsy bit of the highlands, its pretty much just like any small city. I thought a good compromise would be Fort William which is a small town thats extremely highlandsy and beautiful but still has shops and modern comforts. If i were going to live anywhere up there, I'd pick there, but like I say I've only visited, I think theres some highlands goons who could tell you better and probably tell me I'm wrong.

I've been living in Scotland for about 7 years now and I've literally never had any grief for being english, including when I'm slagging off their rugby team in pubs or supporting labour in front of hardcore SNP supporters.
The most I've ever got was working nightshift when some people would go "You're english, eh? Don't worry I won't hold it against you," and I'd say something about being a fleeing refugee and we'd laugh and that'd be it.

Yeah I figured it'd be pretty similar to your average town/small city. But would have the advantage of being my best option for work, while still being close to the highlandsy highlands that I actually want. I'm not really sure yet what the best way to actually approach the move/job situation would be.
Fort William looks amazing and even better located for my reasons for moving, and only a bit smaller than the town I live in now. I'd just worry about finding work cos I'm a worrier

e: dangit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Deketh posted:

Do we have anyone from Inverness here? I'm thinking of making a significant change in my life and following my dreams of living in the Highlands, curious if any goons can recommend living there. Work would be a concern obviously. Are the English generally welcome up there? I ask that cos my mum lived in North Wales for a bit and wasn't terribly welcome.

I used to own this on vinyl (Earcom1) - this was one of the tracks. Surprisingly, I have remembered the lyrics for 40 years. Never visited though so no idea how true they are!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMm28uJSgSQ

Yes North Wales can be not particularly welcoming for incomers. Met a woman in the summer from Liverpool working in a tiny retail outlet attached to an out of the way Cadwr place (and obviously desperate for conversation - not somewhere that gets a lot of visitors!) and she was saying how for 15 years she had been told 'go back to where you came from stealing our jobs and houses'. (Indication of why Wales has a UKIP MEP and voted brexit).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

What's a 'nation'?
A miserable pile of Fichte.

"Language, faith, and custom" used to be the best definition that wasn't based on some kind of race science or something, but 1.5bn people speak English, over half the country has no religion or doesn't attend any form of worship, and what even is British/English/Mercian/whatever custom? Oranges with sweets on?

RockyB posted:

Sincerely, I think federalisation of smaller units of population is definitely the way to go. Our monkey brain mindset just isn't equipped for caring about populations in blocks of 50 million at a time, and modern telecommunication systems allowing ever more centralised and rapid control really don't help.

Independence for Cornwall. London becomes a city state. The northern powerhouse actually builds a proper loving railway across the Pennines.
Yeah, more regional assemblies, more devolved powers to the assemblies and non-ethnic regional identities like Yorkshire. The English identity is effectively antagonistic to BAME people. Modern telecoms could allow decentralized control as well as centralizing.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

I think the big problem is though is that you are never going to get a Westminster gov thats going to act in the best interest of Scotland (or at least highly unlikely).

Interesting point, how long do you think the SNP will last if Scotland does get Independence, my guess would be not very long, maybe 1-2 elections.

I think you underestimate the power of nationalist parties to hold sway over people. I think the SNP would continue for a long time.

I have a bit of a quandary about local government. So the smaller the scale of the governance the more open to complete corruption it is. Our local council is more corrupt than the Scottish Government who still operate with relatively little oversight compared to the UK government. So whilst making decisions closer to the people it affects does feel like a good idea I'm not sure how well it actually works in practice.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Deketh posted:

Yeah I figured it'd be pretty similar to your average town/small city. But would have the advantage of being my best option for work, while still being close to the highlandsy highlands that I actually want. I'm not really sure yet what the best way to actually approach the move/job situation would be.
Fort William looks amazing and even better located for my reasons for moving, and only a bit smaller than the town I live in now. I'd just worry about finding work cos I'm a worrier

e: dangit

I get not wanting to live in Inverness, I sure loving don't want to, but you're really not far from "proper Highlands". Especially if you drive you're looking at 15 minutes and your down the less visited eastern side of Loch Ness. Even if you don't drive you can jump on a train or bus and be in Aviemore sharpish.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/ayocaesar/status/1186606116567953408?s=21

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

The best new Trek series is The Orville :colbert:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

RockyB posted:

On another topic, middle class white women discover existential dread:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-49836830

Oh no, eco-anxiety. This is completely unprecedented and distinct from anxieties such as not being able to feed ourselves or the inevitability of the world ending in a conflagration of nuclear hell fire.

What we need is some kind of organisation to join that tells us our lives have meaning and that by howling into the void we will be judged worthy and saved. Thus begins the cult of EXTINCTION REBELLION.

That article has so many postnatal depression red flags its insane. She needs to see someone asap.

Plank Sanction
Nov 3, 2016

Who invented the skip?

Bundy posted:

I've heard similar before but I can't get my head around the idea that it's a cynical dig at Star Trek, which is incredibly goofy but is something I've always loved. YMMV on an episode by episode basis but Trek's heart is in the right place.

Never actually seen The Orville since it seems to be only available on Sky.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Plank Sanction posted:

I've heard similar before but I can't get my head around the idea that it's a cynical dig at Star Trek, which is incredibly goofy but is something I've always loved. YMMV on an episode by episode basis but Trek's heart is in the right place.

It’s Galaxy Quest level digs and has sympathetic and actually good plots and representation.

Best sci-fi at the moment-

Hard scifi-noir - The Expanse
Optimist space fables - The Orville
Goofy sci-fi western - Outlaws

Total Meatlove fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 22, 2019

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Bundy posted:

isn't that by, and starring, Seth MacFarlane?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Aramoro posted:

I think you underestimate the power of nationalist parties to hold sway over people. I think the SNP would continue for a long time.

I have a bit of a quandary about local government. So the smaller the scale of the governance the more open to complete corruption it is. Our local council is more corrupt than the Scottish Government who still operate with relatively little oversight compared to the UK government. So whilst making decisions closer to the people it affects does feel like a good idea I'm not sure how well it actually works in practice.

well it's true that every local council i've lived under was corrupt as hell, but i'd say westminster is more corrupt than holyrood (though i haven't paid much attention to scottish politics recently so might have missed some scandals)

i do think that if the scottish parliament was the top level of government people would pay more attention, I think smaller states with international cooperation on big projects is the way to go.

Bundy posted:

i can't handle seth macfarlane's smug face and blinding white teeth, sorry

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Plank Sanction posted:

Yeah, it's not a cynical dig at all. McFarlane loves Trek, unlike whoever wrote Discovery.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Total Meatlove posted:

It’s Galaxy Quest level digs and has sympathetic and actually good plots and representation.

I might actually have to check it out then. Galaxy Quest is the best Star Trek by a country mile.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Yeah, if Seth MacFarlane hadn't been attached I probably would have given the show a go ages ago, but my brain refuses to believe anything he created could actually be good.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

That article has so many postnatal depression red flags its insane. She needs to see someone asap.

""Jack is four months old. He's absolutely lovely. He's a dream baby, really," she says. "I can look at him and just burst into tears because I want him to have a nice life. I could definitely cry all the time but I've kind of made peace with the fact that if we carry on the way we are, he will die because of the effects of climate change.
"That's absolutely horrific but I have made peace with the fact that that is what will happen.""

Yikes.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Aphex- posted:

Galaxy Quest is the best Star Trek by a country mile.

This is the correct opinion

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Mega Comrade posted:

Yeah, if Seth MacFarlane hadn't been attached I probably would have given the show a go ages ago, but my brain refuses to believe anything he created could actually be good.

Don't know if he's less involved in the writing, but American Dad is legit good. They made the characters MacFarlane doesn't voice actual characters, it doesn't rely on cutaways and crucially it never crossed over with The Simpsons. It's just a better premise. Also Patrick Stewart and Kevin Michael Richardson are great in it.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
https://twitter.com/dcakraemer/status/1186588474603921410

This is a good look

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

gh0stpinballa posted:

why are so many mushrooms so poisonous, thats hosed up man

Guavanaut posted:

That's a strange way of spelling lorne sausage.

Mycology is crazy. Fungal cells are closer to animal cells than plant cells, but being static they've evolved all kinds of chemical pathways to protect themselves.

It's no coincidence that our first antibiotics all came from fungi.

(There's a fringe theory that human language came from fungi too.)

Plants in general tend to be horribly poisonous a lot of the time as well - making sure that anything that tries to eat you dies horribly is a great defence mechanism when you can't move at all. What's unusual is that fungi tend to have some very interesting mechanisms of action when it comes to being poisonous as because they're a different kingdom of life, they have some very different biochemistry. (For instance, the amatoxins destroy the ability of RNA polymerase to work - EXCEPT for fungal an bacterial RNA polymerase.)

Nothing beats paxillus involutus for sheer horror though - it can suddenly make you allergic to your own blood.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Johnson just told Dodds that there will be no checks between GB and NI, just some "light touch measures" to stop the trading of... endangered species and illegal firearms

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Johnson is banging the 'undercutting good British workers by bringing in workers from the EU' drum that Corbyn spent some time banging too. The Lexiters and Kinnock's mob will be lapping this up.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

BizarroAzrael posted:

Don't know if he's less involved in the writing, but American Dad is legit good. They made the characters MacFarlane doesn't voice actual characters, it doesn't rely on cutaways and crucially it never crossed over with The Simpsons. It's just a better premise. Also Patrick Stewart and Kevin Michael Richardson are great in it.

Yeah, he's got nothing to with it these days bar co-creating the concept and doing some of the voices. Which not coincidentally makes it a genuinely smart and funny animated sitcom and not absolute bottom tier lazy hateful dog poo poo like Family Guy

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

forkboy84 posted:

I get not wanting to live in Inverness, I sure loving don't want to, but you're really not far from "proper Highlands". Especially if you drive you're looking at 15 minutes and your down the less visited eastern side of Loch Ness. Even if you don't drive you can jump on a train or bus and be in Aviemore sharpish.

I read that Inverness gets near the top of those happiest places to live polls, no idea if those are really worth anything. Regardless though it'd be the sensible choice for me if I went through with the move.
Thanks for the input people

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1186622068965687302
https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1186622988759814144

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Olpainless posted:

Nothing beats paxillus involutus for sheer horror though - it can suddenly make you allergic to your own blood.

looked this up and lol that is was until quite recently a very common food, as the deadly reaction is relatively rare

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Ugh, what would a winter GE do for turnout?

Still, hoping to see the tories eat poo poo on this again

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

ALL ACCORDING TO KEIKAKU.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

lol at the idea that boris is in control of when the next election is

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BizarroAzrael posted:

The politics are definitely better than [other MacFarlane venture].

Olpainless posted:

Plants in general tend to be horribly poisonous a lot of the time as well - making sure that anything that tries to eat you dies horribly is a great defence mechanism when you can't move at all. What's unusual is that fungi tend to have some very interesting mechanisms of action when it comes to being poisonous as because they're a different kingdom of life, they have some very different biochemistry. (For instance, the amatoxins destroy the ability of RNA polymerase to work - EXCEPT for fungal an bacterial RNA polymerase.)
Oh for sure there's some crazy plant chemistry too, mostly against insects, but also plants that just use thorns or a thick stem or things that mushrooms can't.

baka kaba posted:

Johnson just told Dodds that there will be no checks between GB and NI, just some "light touch measures" to stop the trading of... endangered species and illegal firearms
Ah, things that definitely declare themselves through normal channels.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Olpainless posted:

Ugh, what would a winter GE do for turnout?

Still, hoping to see the tories eat poo poo on this again

Loads of tories have postal votes. Labour really does need to boost the number of postal voters, I know our locals take a hit on turnout if it's raining!

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

seizure later posted:

isn't that by, and starring, Seth MacFarlane?

It is, I was surprised too. It takes a couple of episodes to get the Family Guy/Ted out of his system and while it's always "there" that it's a MacFarlane creation, it''s got some genuinely good stories and characters in its own right and it handles some politically sensitive topics surprisingly well. I forget when it happened but at some point it stopped trying to be funny and did more with stories that happened to have comedic elements with genuine laugh out loud moments.

I'm sure it helps that people like Brannon Braga are on board and there are a number of decent cameos scattered through.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

So that's supposed to be, uhh, persuasive to the rebels? Maybe the threat of electioning them out but then he'd have to get them to vote themselves out of their jobs first. And with the way the polling is right now I can't see Labour rushing to vote for an election when there's a crippled minority government that only managed to pass a single bill so far.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Man Johnson is bad at this, particularly when he gets caught out lying about the NI customs declarations.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Also love random English MPs telling the PM how people on the border between Ireland and NI feel about things with utmost certainty.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah he's totally pushing responsibility for this whole issue onto NI

"ok yeah there'll be problems and imbalances but it's a transitory arrangement [for 4 years minimum] and the NI government can vote not to continue with that"

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Bill is pulled, EU doesn't agree to extension by Oct 31. This bullshit is finally over.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

caps on caps on caps posted:

Bill is pulled, EU doesn't agree to extension by Oct 31. This bullshit is finally over.

Source your Sun quotes please

Then dont quote from the Sun

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1186631026086416384?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I think at this point Labour's best hope is to vote down the programme motion, and go for an election. Johnson has announced that if he doesn't get exactly what he wants, he's pulling the Bill.