Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

wesleywillis posted:

Also, its probably been posted here already, but guy sets rear end on fire trying to make rear end warmer:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Wellthatsucks/comments/avv6ze/trying_to_make_a_seat_warmer/

ElectroBOOM doesn't really count as OSHA, he knows exactly what he's doing at all times. His videos are great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

I kinda imagine a test pilot like this is supposed to be some super experienced no-nonsense person who does everything by the book to a fault. Obviously this is not true but are they even good pilots or does a company hire anyone they can find to "validate" and sign off on this kind of poo poo?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I hate to be that guy but I don't see the big deal with the monument slide. It's concave, it's smooth except a few hand holds at the plate joints and it's got a large roof base.

You won't get that high or go that fast. Looks fun.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

yeah, don't, they're all lemons

:dadjoke:

When we moved to France in 1975, my mother needed a car. My father (ever the cheapskate) suggested a Citroen 2CV/Charleston. My Mom was game until she realized what one actually was, and watched it heeling waaay over as it rounded a corner at speed, and announced she'd never go near the loving thing. She called 2CV "corrugated Cadillacs". She wound up with a Renault 6.

Nice to see that their build philosophy hasn't changed much in fifty years.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 21, 2019

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

other people posted:

I kinda imagine a test pilot like this is supposed to be some super experienced no-nonsense person who does everything by the book to a fault. Obviously this is not true but are they even good pilots or does a company hire anyone they can find to "validate" and sign off on this kind of poo poo?

I don't know who those people were, but I can see it being helpful having someone with Flight Simulator 2000 experience for intermediate testing and debugging during development before bringing in the high paying experts.

That's what this conversation sounded like to me.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Uthor posted:

I don't know who those people were, but I can see it being helpful having someone with Flight Simulator 2000 experience for intermediate testing and debugging during development before bringing in the high paying experts.

That's what this conversation sounded like to me.

Mark Forkner was Boeing's "Chief Technical pilot" which *sounds* like an important title but maybe not.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Memento posted:

ElectroBOOM doesn't really count as OSHA, he knows exactly what he's doing at all times. His videos are great though.

I think deliberately setting your rear end on fire is very OSHA.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

other people posted:

I knew Boeing was in trouble when they hired my cousin.

He barely graduated highschool, due to his early and frequent criminal activities. His hobbies include dirtbikes, "owning" the government by growing illegal weed while building illegal machine guns, and physically/emotionally abusing people.

I don't know exactly what his job title is but even if it was custodian I'd still be uncomfortable.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Forgive the meme, but I'll be damned if this wouldn't be a good way to communicate occupational hazards with some people:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Well, I did say I don't know much about crane implosions.

I know you are in Canada, since you just mentioned it in another post, but are you russian? You always seem to be posting "crazy poo poo from russia dot jaypeg"

Also, its probably been posted here already, but guy sets rear end on fire trying to make rear end warmer:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Wellthatsucks/comments/avv6ze/trying_to_make_a_seat_warmer/

The strongest tie to a heritage from my 4 different immigrant grandparents is Ukrainian. Thanksgiving diner was always nalysnyky and cabbage rolls. Because of that I'm very slowly learning Russian because that's what is spoken there at this point, and browse Russian sites, It's almost like a whole different universe.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

other people posted:

Mark Forkner was Boeing's "Chief Technical pilot" which *sounds* like an important title but maybe not.

Probably means he's the supervisor of the flight simulation program :smug:

"I'm a technical pilot" I don't fly real planes, just the simulators.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Guyver posted:

I hate to be that guy but I don't see the big deal with the monument slide. It's concave, it's smooth except a few hand holds at the plate joints and it's got a large roof base.

You won't get that high or go that fast. Looks fun.

It looks like a harder version of the pyramid scheme obstacle from Tough Mudder. The Soviet version looks do-able but you've gotta walk up it like a slab and smoothly transition from the ball of one foot to the other while keeping your COG over one foot or the other.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Kinda looks like some conversations I've had at work when we're massively overworked and even our managers were getting pissed off at us. I'm really glad I didn't try to get a job at Boeing. It sounds like it's almost as bad as working at Amazon or Google, but for different reasons.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I love a test pilot at Boeing saying "granted, I suck at flying" so much for some reason.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ahh but what's behind the crazy spring loaded james-bond license plate this cop keeps blindly shoving his hand into?
(jump to 2:30)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBHhdd9uaAc

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 21, 2019

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Sex Skeleton posted:

Kinda looks like some conversations I've had at work when we're massively overworked and even our managers were getting pissed off at us. I'm really glad I didn't try to get a job at Boeing. It sounds like it's almost as bad as working at Amazon or Google, but for different reasons.

Depends. It's ok for most folks with a spine and a contract.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

shame on an IGA posted:

Ahh but what's behind the crazy spring loaded james-bond license plate this cop keeps blindly shoving his hand into?
(jump to 2:30)

Jesus Christ that anchor and reporter are so punchable, loving sanctimonious scolds

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

This happened a few weeks ago, but I didn't see it posted here and I love this picture:

it plowed into Corsica at full speed, speculation is that the deck crew were all asleep and the ship missed a turn. Total crew of 7, all fine.

https://phys.org/news/2019-10-cargo-ship-aground-corsican-nature.html

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PittTheElder posted:

This happened a few weeks ago, but I didn't see it posted here and I love this picture:

speculation is that the crew of 7 were all asleep, and the ship missed a turn

https://phys.org/news/2019-10-cargo-ship-aground-corsican-nature.html

We're a lighthouse, your move.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Memento posted:

Photonic Induction is an excellent source of profoundly stupid things done with electricity.

Like melting metal stuff with electricity... in a carpeted room... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJOX0c60wQE

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008

Memento posted:

For a start, lol.

For seconds, I honestly don't know. I was laying out my samples from the day in the yard next to it on Sunday four weeks ago, when they tried to start it up. Smoke all the colours of the rainbow poured out of the top of it. The next day the fitters were out trying to get it going, and I heard them talking about how it would run but wasn't making any power. Could they need to have something fabricated up for it? I assume the same thing as you, that they'd jump through any hoops necessary to get it going.

Some parts fall off the production schedule. Those parts need to get made from scratch THEN shipped over. We have a 14 day lead time for factories in Europe and Asia to magic up a part, + whatever it takes from when the part arrives at our facility to the job site.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Resting Lich Face posted:

Photonic Induction is an excellent source of profoundly stupid things done with electricity.

Like melting metal stuff with electricity... in a carpeted room... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJOX0c60wQE

He was great. I hope he gets things worked out, and comes back to Youtube.

“TRUMP 2020” posted:

Im 14 and this video has inspired me to do some electrical work while my parents are out this weekend

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Powershift posted:

The strongest tie to a heritage from my 4 different immigrant grandparents is Ukrainian. Thanksgiving diner was always nalysnyky and cabbage rolls. Because of that I'm very slowly learning Russian because that's what is spoken there at this point, and browse Russian sites, It's almost like a whole different universe.

Just don't make the mistake of going there for a visit and trying to speak Russian to the locals. They're not fond of that.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
Roof of the under construction Sky City Convention Centre in Auckland, New Zealand has been on fire for the past couple of hours. Right in the middle of town and the smoke from the burning butymolololol roof is making it the city uninhabitable.

Here's a view from the Mayor's office:
https://twitter.com/phil_goff/status/1186443902129070080

Here's a photo from the ferry leaving town. Photo from Chris Keall.

Best quote from the coverage so far:

quote:

Craig, who would only give his first name, said he was installing a building management unit on the roof when the fire started.

He also understood the rubber roofing layer had caught fire while being applied.

The application process involved setting the rubber on fire briefly while it was being rolled, he said.

"The trick is not to let it catch fire for too long."

Serjeant Snubbin fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 22, 2019

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

quote:

"The trick is not to let it catch fire for too long."
You don't say?

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
aaaaaAAAAAAAHHHHH

https://i.imgur.com/IhKPJAs.mp4

quote:

Two anglers in small boats have been filmed dangerously close to a giant "plug hole" at a reservoir.

They were spotted on Saturday a few metres from a 66ft-deep overflow hole at Derbyshire's Ladybower Reservoir.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

PainterofCrap posted:

:dadjoke:

When we moved to France in 1975, my mother needed a car. My father (ever the cheapskate) suggested a Citroen 2CV/Charleston. My Mom was game until she realized what one actually was, and watched it heeling waaay over as it rounded a corner at speed, and announced she'd never go near the loving thing. She called 2CV "corrugated Cadillacs". She wound up with a Renault 6.

Nice to see that their build philosophy hasn't changed much in fifty years.

2CVs are awesome. You can't actually topple one over while driving forward no matter how fast you take corners. Believe me i've tried!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

sinky posted:

aaaaaAAAAAAAHHHHH

gently caress that

Also, apparently, gently caress this thing.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

They're fine, you could be sitting right on the side of the spillway and those boats won't go down it. Bell mouth spillways always have a lip which pretty much prevents anything larger than leaf litter going down them. They're hypnotic to watch though, the ones that don't have ridges and allow laminar flow are very pretty.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

kimihia posted:

Roof of the under construction Sky City Convention Centre in Auckland, New Zealand has been on fire for the past couple of hours. Right in the middle of town and the smoke from the burning butymolololol roof is making it the city uninhabitable.

Sweet time lapse:
https://twitter.com/NiwaWeather/status/1186519410820833285

Started around 2pm, still burning now at 10:30pm, roof now sacrificed to save the rest of the building, expected to be out 2am to 4am at this stage, but high winds expected after midnight.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

CUM PASS

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Memento posted:

gently caress that

Also, apparently, gently caress this thing.

Spare the truck, fuckle the driver.

It's basically the anti- ICC bumper.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Plane Fuckling. Rare but it happens.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Sweet time lapse:
https://twitter.com/NiwaWeather/status/1186519410820833285

Started around 2pm, still burning now at 10:30pm, roof now sacrificed to save the rest of the building, expected to be out 2am to 4am at this stage, but high winds expected after midnight.

you would think at some point they would just cut off the burning section of roof - or is that what is meant by sacrificed?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Ika posted:

you would think at some point they would just cut off the burning section of roof - or is that what is meant by sacrificed?

no, they tossed a couple of virgins up there and hoped for the best

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

Mozi posted:

no, they tossed a couple of virgins up there and hoped for the best

We need a moment of silence for those brave goons, whomever they are.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

i dont give a poo poo how "safe" it is; that is and will always be nightmare fuel for me

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Am I seeing it right that the water is flowing through holes and not going over the top, which is higher than the water? That's what prevents the boats from going in? Or is it simply due to the fact that there's not much water going over the lip, so any boats would get stuck on the lip?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Fanelien posted:

They're fine, you could be sitting right on the side of the spillway and those boats won't go down it. Bell mouth spillways always have a lip which pretty much prevents anything larger than leaf litter going down them. They're hypnotic to watch though, the ones that don't have ridges and allow laminar flow are very pretty.

I wouldn't say always. These kill people pretty routinely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
/\/\/\ what what whaaat?

Fanelien posted:

ok but what does 'fine' constitute? those boats could still fall in, and what happens if they do? sure they won't get sucked through a pinhole to get chowed by the machinery, but it certainly doesn't look like a comfy trip down or an easy solution to get out of....it looks like you could still get pretty hosed in the subsequent tumble and being tossed around, or possibly get stuck and drown in some fast-moving water at the bottom there.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 22, 2019