Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
High motorics is funny with Evrart, because you can convince him you're just as corrupt as he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

empathy is easily duped by strong displays of emotion, it's the holy trinity of empathy/drama/volition that can really lock down people's lies, at least in the Psyche tree

but none of the three contradict Evrart's testimony when he gets heated so your original point stands

Yeah, that's true--I forgot that I also had those other skills fairly high and agreeing with Empathy there.

Caidin posted:

Your skills are valuable counsel to be sure, but Everett would not necessarily be the first to circumvent some of them.

Oh sure, your skills lead you wrong all the time (especially when they're really high and start to override other things or present themselves as the only way to do things). I suppose I mean that all of your Intellect/Psyche skills read Evrart as genuine, as Oxxidation points out.

He's a weird ball of contradictions, like a lot of the characters.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Digital Osmosis posted:

I have absolutely no idea how to go about getting doing the favor Joyce asked of me. I've spoken to Everet, who basically admitted drug trafficking. I talked to the racist lorry driver, the chill one, and the terrifying woman who Kim won't let me bother (who maybe stole my gun?) Any ideas on how to move this along?

Also, I'm confused about how I feel about Everet. I was with him at first because communism, gently caress yeah! Then I saw what he was trying to do to the fishing village and got annoyed so I had the drunks forge the signature for him. But then when I went back and confronted him on it he was forthright about his plan and, while ambitious and lovely and not a sure thing it did seem like he had thought things through and wanted what's best for the worst off. On the other hand the two women living in the fishing village seem to have pretty good lives and I'd feel bad forcing them out... am... am I a moralist now?

I really do like how Evrart is written. The moment you walk in, the guy has sleazy tattooed on his forehead. (Perception [Trivial]: Success) But he isn't wrong about White Pines being a bunch of assholes (excepting Joyce, who's pretty cool) who sent in some bloodthirsty killers as a "negotiating tactic". And the youth center does genuinely look like a reasonable, useful project giving back to the community.

However, that does not change the fact that he's a corrupt, sleazy, power-tripping rear end in a top hat. He *enjoys* having a cop on a string dancing through hoops. The first task he asked you to do is completely trivial and completely corrupt. He could have asked any of his guys to do it easily, I'm not sure that he even cares at all whose apartment it is, he just wants the rush from having the power to get a cop to do that at his request. He wants you to do the second task because it wouldn't look good for the union to be bullying people off their land. You're a useful tool to him, and he's got you over a barrel. So screw that guy. You're not killing the project, you're just handing the ball back to Evrart and making it his problem again.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Evrart strikes me as the kind of guy who'd be more amused that you screwed him over than anything.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Evrart would be a lot harder to like if his enemy wasn't a huge, faceless corporation that sent a
paramilitary death squad to intimidate/slaughter the Union.
His greasiness and corruption feel proportionately small compared to what the Union is up against.

Even the second task, you're gonna kick out, what, 8 people, total? In exchange for this huge building, built over what you can see firsthand is mostly a bunch of decrepit ruins, of no use to anyone. It's not as cut and dry as "look at this big evil developer pushing out the poor folk!".

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Begemot posted:

Evrart would be a lot harder to like if his enemy wasn't a huge, faceless corporation that sent a
paramilitary death squad to intimidate/slaughter the Union.
His greasiness and corruption feel proportionately small compared to what the Union is up against.

Even the second task, you're gonna kick out, what, 8 people, total? In exchange for this huge building, built over what you can see firsthand is mostly a bunch of decrepit ruins, of no use to anyone. It's not as cut and dry as "look at this big evil developer pushing out the poor folk!".

Tbf, you can sneak peek on the contract, and it pretty much is literally "big evil developer pushing out the poor folk". Sure, the poor folk are just 2 adults, 3 kids and a few hobos, but still.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

reminder though the corp was absolutely willing to compromise, but he kicked out their earlier, friendly negotiator cause he wanted a reason to dump the corp

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Harrow posted:

Thing is, either you're wrong, or he's so amazingly good that he consistently fools your Empathy skill every single time no matter how high it is. Empathy is generally very good at telling you what people really feel when they say things and it consistently tells you that Evrart means what he says re: social democracy.

Like Caidin posted, your skills are not infallible. There's already one character who can sabotage several of your skills, there's no reason to think Everet couldn't do the same to just one. As I said, he's a politician, convincing people that his beliefs are genuine is what he does and that can include convincing himself.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

I'm on my second playthrough and there's so much stuff I didn't catch on the first run, like a second way out of a certain cellar, Cuno's real name or the fact that you can actually run around blasting sick beats from the boombox.

There was also a certain sidequest that I brushed off the first time as just a little meta joke towards the rpg genre that ended up being some of the saddest content in the game the working class missing husband quest

One thing I was wondering is what happens if you never look in the mirror?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

Evrart strikes me as the kind of guy who'd be more amused that you screwed him over than anything.

Nah he'd be pissed, he'd just make sure not to show it to your face, as a power play.

outside of the youth center thing is there any proof that Everat is corrupt other than aesthetics? I only felt with him once past the 3rd day and everything got I mean forced out of my head but all the new poo poo.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

You will be a blurry blob forever

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

I'm on my second playthrough and there's so much stuff I didn't catch on the first run, like a second way out of a certain cellar, Cuno's real name or the fact that you can actually run around blasting sick beats from the boombox.

There was also a certain sidequest that I brushed off the first time as just a little meta joke towards the rpg genre that ended up being some of the saddest content in the game the working class missing husband quest

ya that one was a real fuckin' gutpunch

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What is the joke with that thought that Inland Empire insists you internalize?

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

How were you supposed to get it? I got it only after exploring the boardwalks and it was still a gut punch. Where do you run into her earlier?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Evrart is a great character because he genuinely wants to be helpful but also is a selfish sleazebag. I don't think the two have to be mutually exclusive at all, and encouraging his own delusions is actually the most effective way to get some usefulness out of him.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Digital Osmosis posted:

How were you supposed to get it? I got it only after exploring the boardwalks and it was still a gut punch. Where do you run into her earlier?

By the bookstore, she may only be there day 1 and maybe 2 I forget when I ran into her, but she was definitely there when I was ranting to a little girl about how he's being exploited by capital

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Agean90 posted:

Nah he'd be pissed, he'd just make sure not to show it to your face, as a power play.

outside of the youth center thing is there any proof that Everat is corrupt other than aesthetics? I only felt with him once past the 3rd day and everything got I mean forced out of my head but all the new poo poo.

Have you finished the game yet? If not don't continue reading: The whole thing is a drug smuggling ring, that's how he's financed thousands of workers going without paychecks during the strike and how the harbor plans to survive after going independent. In addition, he and his brother got where they are because they had the previous union boss assassinated. He's a corruption elemental.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Did everyone forget that (endgame spoilers) that Evert only became the union boss because he got the communist partisan on the island to murder his predecessor. His corruption is a bit more then "good reasons, bad methods" imo

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

Digital Osmosis posted:

You can meet her earlier browsing books outside the bookstore. You can start questioning her about where her husband, children or pet cockatoo are, decide against her and Kims' increasingly incredulous objections that they must be missing and promise her that you will find them like the hero cop you are.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Harrow posted:

I could see that, especially because you can't really do any damage to his plans. I think he'd be impressed at your skill at deception and composure at lying to his face.

Agean90 posted:

Proof? Well, kinda... *ending spoilers* You can talk the Deserter into admitting that Evrart knew he was here, and so Evrart is purposefully letting the situation escalate which will get his own people killed. It's strongly implied that the Deserter has killed many of Evrart's enemies for him - especially the former union head, which he practically confesses to.

Broken Cog posted:

What is the joke with that thought that Inland Empire insists you internalize?

You mean "Jamais Vu"? It's not a joke, I think. It's actually a really powerful and useful skill.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Performing an autopsy while a couple of lovely kids are constantly yelling over us hoping/thinking that my partner and I are, in fact, going to gently caress the corpse, was solid gold comedy with some amazing dialogue. Being able to yell the most immature poo poo over the autopsy I'm performing while my partner is just trying not to gag is just absolutely amazing. This game's writing is so good. I still love CDPR and Obsidian and whichever teams put together Longest Journey and Dreamfall, but this is a whole other level.

Edit: This game lets you play as Charlie Kelly basically and it's the best thing I never knew I needed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

Like Caidin posted, your skills are not infallible. There's already one character who can sabotage several of your skills, there's no reason to think Everet couldn't do the same to just one. As I said, he's a politician, convincing people that his beliefs are genuine is what he does and that can include convincing himself.

To go back to what Oxxidation said, I was being short-sighted there, but Evrart also comes off as genuine to Drama and Volition as well. It's not just Empathy that thinks he's telling the truth about his beliefs. Maybe I didn't have the right skills, but none of my skills said that he wasn't truthful about his beliefs. Meanwhile, with Klaasje, a couple of my skills wanted me to believe her (especially Drama) but Volition overrode them pretty hard. That doesn't happen with Evrart--even Volition doesn't seem to think he's not being genuine.

Which is sort of what makes him an interesting character to me. He's a scumbag who's actively agitating for violence and is incredibly corrupt, but might also legitimately believe what he says about social democracy. He's a big ball of contradictions.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Evrart basically believes the ends justify the means and if he gets a little off the top in the process even better

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Savoir Faire sees straight through Evrart, it just doesn't care.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Digital Osmosis posted:

She's in front of the bookstore and tells you your fursona/spirit animal is a cockatoo, and to research it

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Jarvisi posted:

She's in front of the bookstore and tells you your fursona/spirit animal is a cockatoo, and to research it

I'm a fuckupatoo.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I decided that my spirit animal was a fuckupatoo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jarvisi posted:

BEHOLD

A SORRY COP

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Epic High Five posted:

BEHOLD

A SORRY COP

I was the sorriest loving cop even Kim got tired of it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Jarvisi posted:

That whole bit of description had me spit up my drink when I got to that part. Just the mental image of a featherless screaming cockatoo is hilarious.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Performing an autopsy while a couple of lovely kids are constantly yelling over us hoping/thinking that my partner and I are, in fact, going to gently caress the corpse, was solid gold comedy with some amazing dialogue. Being able to yell the most immature poo poo over the autopsy I'm performing while my partner is just trying not to gag is just absolutely amazing. This game's writing is so good. I still love CDPR and Obsidian and whichever teams put together Longest Journey and Dreamfall, but this is a whole other level.

Edit: This game lets you play as Charlie Kelly basically and it's the best thing I never knew I needed.

loving up the red check with the chaincutters to get the belt off the guy and Cuno shouting "my pig is hardcore!" was the proudest I've ever felt.

Harrow posted:

To go back to what Oxxidation said, I was being short-sighted there, but Evrart also comes off as genuine to Drama and Volition as well. It's not just Empathy that thinks he's legit. Maybe I didn't have the right skills, but none of my skills said that he wasn't legit. Meanwhile, with Klaasje, a couple of my skills wanted me to believe her (especially Drama) but Volition overrode them pretty hard. That doesn't happen with Evrart--even Volition doesn't seem to think he's not being genuine.

Whether Everet is genuine or full of poo poo isn't a key component of the case like Klaasje's deception, so volition doesn't really have reason to go into overdrive there. It would also make Everet a much less interesting character if one of your skills just piped up and proclaimed him a liar. I think it's an intentional choice to let the audience form their own opinion of Everet's character.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Gobblecoque posted:

loving up the red check with the chaincutters to get the belt off the guy and Cuno shouting "my pig is hardcore!" was the proudest I've ever felt.

I passed that check so I didn't get to see what Cuno says there.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

Whether Everet is genuine or full of poo poo isn't a key component of the case like Klaasje's deception, so volition doesn't really have reason to go into overdrive there. It would also make Everet a much less interesting character if one of your skills just piped up and proclaimed him a liar. I think it's an intentional choice to let the audience form their own opinion of Everet's character.

I'm not sure your last point is necessarily true. If a skill popped up to call him a liar and argued with Empathy and Drama and such, would that necessarily mean that other skill has to be correct? Sure, there are a good number of times when your skills tell you to trust something that you shouldn't, but I'm reasonably sure there are also times when your skills tell you not to trust something and they're just fueling paranoia.

Though I think the contract is the time the game throws the red flags about Evrart with your skill internal voices, with Savoir Faire and Empathy seeming to disagree about whether he's an ends-justify-the-means type who believes he's doing right with the youth center even as he's sure to skim some off the top for himself (Empathy's take) or whether it's all about what he can make for himself and everything else is just a smokescreen.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 22, 2019

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just realized that if you take the ledger to Kims car and look at it through the headlights, it enables some sort of stat page on the journal, showing you what kind of ideological choices and stuff you've made.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Broken Cog posted:

Just realized that if you take the ledger to Kims car and look at it through the headlights, it enables some sort of stat page on the journal, showing you what kind of ideological choices and stuff you've made.

I just did that last night, though I'm confused why the name is listed as unknown when you know your name by that point?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I'd just like to point out that there's a hidden H/E Coordination + Electro-Chemistry check where they try to talk you into committing indecent exposure.

I'm not sure what triggers it.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Ah, but do you have official identification?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

chaosapiant posted:

Do you have to get the corpse down to perform the autopsy?

Also, trying to get the corpse down without Getting help from the harbor boys and not sure how.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yeah, the field autopsy goes after the initial examination of the scene. To get him down without outside help just exhaust all other options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

theblackw0lf posted:

Do you have to get the corpse down to perform the autopsy?

Also, trying to get the corpse down without Getting help from the harbor boys and not sure how.

:blastu: