Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
topical!

My [27F] sister [30F] said something concerning to me

quote:

My sister is getting her master to become a social worker (or a therapist? sometimes I get confused as to which one she wants to be because of the way she describes her future role. Maybe a school counselor?)

We were hanging about and talking ... I don't remember how we got to this topic but the topic of how some people have preferred pronouns came up and she just said she finds it strange and weird ... then she said "Like how they say refer to me as "they/them" ... I'm not going to call you that!" in a demeaning way? as if she thought it was ridiculous. I know reddit's general stance on this might be different than mine and it's a bit risky posting this here but I personally think it's not a problem if someone has preferred pronouns. It doesn't cost me anything to listen to them and make them comfortable. So I asked "Why not? what's wrong with just using their preferred pronouns?" and she just couldn't answer me. I tried my best to explain politely why it is important to some people to use their preferred pronouns and also to consider trans folks but I find it alarming that someone who's going to be a therapist thinks this way? It's also more alarming because she said she wouldn't care to call people with their preferred pronouns ... that just sounds cruel?

I'm not sure why I can't stop thinking about this interaction. I always thought of my sister as very empathetic. It was almost jarring to hear her say this. Should I say something more or just leave it?

tl;dr my sister made an insensitive comment and I'm still thinking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"Really tired of all these dang pronouns!!!"

- A therapist

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Chomp8645 posted:

- A therapist

even worse if she becomes a school counselor. trans teens have enough difficulty as it is.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Chomp8645 posted:

- A therapist

no lgbt person who has ever been to any medical professional ever is even a tiny loving iota surprised this attitude is loving standard tbh

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Straight White Shark posted:

topical!
My [27F] sister [30F] said something concerning to me

This right here is something I'm just finally coming to terms with in my life. I had a neighbor who was an HR person for a larger international company. She was always very talkative, so we had a friendly enough relationship, until she started to talk about how much she hates Somalis. The day it came to a head is when she told me she turned a guy down for a job who even she said was a great fit, because she doesn't trust him, because he is Somali. It's always great when you know someone did something that is straight up illegal, yet there will be no repercussion for it, it just really makes sure your faith in humanity takes a real dive.

What I think people should do is call it out. When you hear it, stop being polite, tell them it is racist, tell them it is homophobic, etc. Let them know that they are being terrible. If they don't like it, guess what, you don't need to talk to them, you owe nothing to anyone but yourself. Maybe when the person has been ostracized by their friends and family they will consider looking at themselves as the problem.

All this is to say, let your mental health be your #1 priority, and stressing and fretting about your terrible family/friends can be solved easily by telling them to gently caress off.

Oh and when someone lets you know their beliefs in a nice hushed tone, that's cause they know that it's wrong deep down, but just can't help being terrible.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

InediblePenguin posted:

no lgbt person who has ever been to any medical professional ever is even a tiny loving iota surprised this attitude is loving standard tbh

Really? I can see that being the case with conventional medical staff, but I kinda thought therapists took a different tack.

Never been to a therapist though, so what do I know I guess. Just sounded like the kind of thing they'd be up on.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Chomp8645 posted:

Really? I can see that being the case with conventional medical staff, but I kinda thought therapists took a different tack.

Never been to a therapist though, so what do I know I guess. Just sounded like the kind of thing they'd be up on.

yeah you specifically have to look for LGBT friendly therapists most of the time, unfortunately even though you'd expect better of them they're just as bigoted as the population at large is.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

InediblePenguin posted:

Yeah, but if she wants to be a social worker or a school counselor, then she's likely to work with kids and teens who haven't experienced this attitude among professionals yet. And they aren't likely to have much choices at that age

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

DemoneeHo posted:

Yeah, but if she wants to be a social worker or a school counselor, then she's likely to work with kids and teens who haven't experienced this attitude among professionals yet. And they aren't likely to have much choices at that age

hold the gently caress up im not saying she's right -- im a queer trans and she's a harmful piece of poo poo. im saying there are thousands of pieces of poo poo just like her so that cishet people going "omg i can't believe a professional would be that way" understand that this is not a rarity but it is a thing that people like me experience regularly irl.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
can’t stop thinking about those shawl boys

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah, uh, it's a huge, huge problem for LGBT people because the population at-large will often either refuse to understand or will deny their existence... and it's so much worse if a gay or trans person lives in a rural or other strongly conservative leaning area. This is on top of how tough it can be, even as a straight cis individual, to find a truly non-judgmental therapist or social worker to actually listen to and address your issues and struggles in some cases.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 22, 2019

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

InediblePenguin posted:

hold the gently caress up im not saying she's right -- im a queer trans and she's a harmful piece of poo poo. im saying there are thousands of pieces of poo poo just like her so that cishet people going "omg i can't believe a professional would be that way" understand that this is not a rarity but it is a thing that people like me experience regularly irl.

I was just trying to express some sadness for the lgbt teens who havent been crushed by lovely therapists yet, is all. Not accusing you of anything nor trying to deny your experiences

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Anyways, that loving poo poo wizard story.

Why do all reddit threads always devolve into poo poo?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Dazerbeams posted:

Me [20 M] concerned about my realtionship with my GF[21 F] after horrible experience this weekend

Who invites people to a party over, instead of caring for your partner with food poisoning? Wtf.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DemoneeHo posted:

Anyways, that loving poo poo wizard story.

Why do all reddit threads always devolve into poo poo?

not all of them!

some of them are poo poo right from the start!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Someone who knows their party is going down in history after their partner pukes and shits themselves into a spinning mess, that's who.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

cumshitter posted:

So the guy who poo poo himself in front of everyone just went back to bed and fell asleep in it, still covered in poo poo and puke?

Like I dunno maybe wash your rear end off in the sink or something first.

Looks like somebody locked the bathroom. Lol

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Power Khan posted:

Who invites people to a party over, instead of caring for your partner with food poisoning? Wtf.

I would probably actually prefer my wife leave me alone, but if she invited 20 people over while I was spraying out of both ends I would probably divorce her.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Power Khan posted:

a young person who wants to party so hard that they think "hey, we can go back to my place, my severely ill partner will be there wandering about and moaning but it's no big deal"

every part of this story, from the accidental food poisoning, to the migrating pregame, to the pregame that just turns into a drinking party, to the guy who thinks "watch me lock the one and only bathroom door in this house" can be summed up as "twenty year olds are only technically not teenagers"

even just the small detail of pregaming with nearly 20 people is like, ah, i remember when i was young and thought that trying to hit bars in a group that large was a fun idea and not completely obnoxious in every way

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 22, 2019

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

teen witch posted:

Every paragraph gets worse, much like someone’s posting!

Holy gently caress this poor girl. She gets in a car accident serious enough to need surgery and rehab but all her parents and grandparents seem to care about is that she "has an attitude" and is "snippy".

"I know you're learning how to walk again but you better stop the whining, missy!" :byodood:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

luxury handset posted:

a young person who wants to party so hard that they think "hey, we can go back to my place, my severely ill partner will be there wandering about and moaning but it's no big deal"

every part of this story, from the accidental food poisoning, to the migrating pregame, to the pregame that just turns into a drinking party, to the guy who thinks "watch me lock the one and only bathroom door in this house" can be summed up as "twenty year olds are only technically not teenagers"

even just the small detail of pregaming with nearly 20 people is like, ah, i remember when i was young and thought that trying to hit bars in a group that large was a fun idea and not completely obnoxious in every way

Only just occurred to me, but how do you have a bathroom door that can be easily locked from outside but not easily unlocked?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sunswipe posted:

Only just occurred to me, but how do you have a bathroom door that can be easily locked from outside but not easily unlocked?

probably a cheap interior doorknob, where you would have to deliberately lock yourself out which would not be a problem for anyone except an aspiring magician

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV2LRlrJxmE

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 22, 2019

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Sunswipe posted:

Its pretty easy if the lock is a switch you turn on the doorknob and shut the door while the lock is engaged.

And while a lot of doorknobs have little holes that you can use to unlock from the outside, if you don't have the right tool, you can't unlock it from the outside. For example, my old apartment had locks that you could stick any wire or paperclip through a small hole and push a button to unlock. But my current place needs a specialized "key" tool to insert and twist to unlock from the outside

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

luxury handset posted:

wow okay so i should just never have anyone over because my boyfriend is one of the living dead, real nice

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

I'm certain this was posted in here a month ago, but i can't find the right post. But here it is with an update:

AITA for not teaching a skill to my oldest son that I taught his siblings because of the custody arrangement?

quote:

This is the original story:

This has quite literally fractured my family.

I have an older son from my first marriage who's now 24. I have two younger kids from my current marriage who are 21 year old twins.

My divorce occurred right after my son was born.

Over the years, my visitation has been primarily summers and holidays since my ex-wife moved to a different state.

I have a particular skillset I'm was very good at. And all three of my kids have expressed interest in it. Unfortunately, I have only been able to meaningfuly teach it to my younger kids.

This was because to make my visitation with my older son more memorable, I would do camping/vacations etc. I didn't have time to teach him properly.

Also, anything I did try to teach him was forgotten and not practised because he lived in an apartment with his mother.

The major issue now is that my younger kids have started a company after highschool using this skill. I provided the initial funds and as such have a 33% stake in it. This company has really soared this past year and it's making a lot of money.

My older son graduated from college and is doing a job he hates and is not exactly making a lot of money. Especially compared to his siblings.

Part of this is my fault because he did ask to take a few years off after highschool and maybe have me teach him what I knew but my wife was battling cancer at the time and I told him I couldn't.

And now, I'm not well enough to teach anymore.

He is now telling me to include him in this company as a equal partner. That he'll do the finances.

This was not received well by his siblings who say they do basically 95% of the work. And that he didn't struggle in the earlier years to get it running.

I'm really at a loss here. I thought of just giving my share of the company to my oldest son but it does seem unfair to his siblings who started this company in the first place.

My oldest has become very bitter about this and has involved my parents. They are taking his side and now my younger kids are resentful that their grandparents have been turned against them.

Our Sunday family lunches are no longer happening and I'm having to see my oldest for dinner on other days. And everytime I see him I'm getting accused of not treating him fairly. It kills me because I made so many compromises to have him in my life in a meaningful way.

He accused me on Saturday of pushing him out my new family and loving his siblings more. I haven't been able to sleep since.

Should I have done all this differently?

Edit/Update:

The moderators have been kind enough to let me update my post.

I know many, many people have asked about the skillset I mentioned. I just can't be specific because it'll make my younger kids' company identifiable with a quick search. I will say it's nothing mysterious and is a combination of woodworking, metalworking and some masonry sometimes. It's just a niche product and not many people do it. The tools and techniques are unorthodox.

I spent a lot of time reflecting yesterday after reading everyone's comments.

I have talked to my younger kids and I explained to them that even if they aren't happy with how their brother approached it, it's clear he feels left out from our family and it's all our responsibilities to help fix this.

They agreed to extend the offer of apprenticeship again to their brother where he works and learns as a salaried employee. But they've made it clear that no ownership can be transferred after he's put in at least three years of work like they have. I actually think this is generous because they are paying a salary that they don't need to.

However, I'm not sure if my oldest will go for this. He is feeling some sort of way about working for his brothers, not with them.

I reached out to a teacher in Alaska who I know casually. He might do me a favor and take on an apprentice.

I need to scrounge up some money and see if I can send my son there. But again, it's Alaska and I'm not sure if my son will be receptive.

I don't know what else I can offer at this point. My wife is disgusted that we've become that family that is fighting about money. She wants to force the twins to give a stake in the company to their brother but I really think it's a bad idea. They need to fix their conflict first or it'll just be a disaster. I don't believe we should be telling our younger kids on how to run their company.

I'll be meeting my son this Friday for dinner. I hope he'll be ok with at least one of the options.

I also need to talk to my parents to stop creating more issues. They've always enjoyed chaos and like pitting people against each other. It's not helping.

Thanks everyone.

UPDATE to AITA for not teaching a skill to my oldest son that I taught his siblings

quote:

I offered the two best options to my oldest which a few days after I posted during dinner.

The first option was work as a salaried employee for his brothers' company for a few years while he learns the trade and then buy in for a partnership in the company. I would've sold him my share for a very fair price. This was the only way his brothers were willing to join the company. He rejected it immediately.

The second option was an apprenticeship I setup with someone I knew and respected. Unfortunately, this was based in Alaska and he rejected that as well, which I expected.

He then said a lot of hurtful things about me and his mother. I gave in and said I would teach him. Some people did suggest this on the first post.

He took all my tools and material the next few days and moved it to his garage. I've been going over to his garage workshop everyday for a few hours to try and teach him.

It's not going that great I have to admit.

I'm physically not in the best shape and he's getting frustrated by it.

I'm just going to keep going with this and hopefully it'll get easier as he learns more.

I appreciate everyone's input on the first post.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DemoneeHo posted:

Its pretty easy if the lock is a switch you turn on the doorknob and shut the door while the lock is engaged.

And while a lot of doorknobs have little holes that you can use to unlock from the outside, if you don't have the right tool, you can't unlock it from the outside. For example, my old apartment had locks that you could stick any wire or paperclip through a small hole and push a button to unlock. But my current place needs a specialized "key" tool to insert and twist to unlock from the outside

I appreciate this revelation that the douchey guy's "magic trick" is probably just knowing how to stick a paperclip into a doorknob

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

AITA for being mad at my husband for throwing up?

quote:

I don’t even know where to begin with this. My husband has a really bad issue with throwing up. He throws up every day. He wretches loudly and I hear him every time. He throws up in the morning. He throws up in the shower. He throws up before bed. He throws up after he eats sometimes. He gets up in the middle of the night to throw up and sometimes doesn’t make it to the toilet. He has a tiny trash can next to the bed that he uses when he wakes up puking. He throws up out his window while driving. It’s out of control. He’s done this since I’ve known him (5 years) and his family claims he’s done it since high school. The problem lies where he absolutely refuses to go to the doctor for it. He gets mad at me when I beg him to go. He doesn’t care at all about his health. He doesn’t think it’s a big deal at all. I used to be bulimic, and when I went to the doctor, they told me all this terrible awful stuff that throwing up can do to your body. I actually had bleeding ulcers from it and it damaged my teeth pretty badly, and that was just after 6 months of it. He says I’m just projecting my past into him. That it’s not like he’s bulimic. He doesn’t understand (maybe he does and he doesn’t care) that this can cause SERIOUS health issues in the future. He literally tells me to “stop nagging about it and let me live my life”. He lies to me about when he throws up like I can’t hear him from the other room. But I don’t let it stop me. The only thing I can do it nag and argue about it in hopes he goes to the doctor one day. We argue constantly about it, more so now than before because it’s just been wearing down on me. After years and years of this, it’s obvious it’s something medically wrong that isn’t going to change without intervention. I can’t handle hearing him wretch and puke every day like this anymore. We can’t even go for walks or go out to dinner because of it. He says I’m being overbearing and awful. The arguments are seriously straining the relationship. AITA for nagging him and arguing with him about it so much?

EDIT: I should also clarify that at the more beginning part of the relationship, he would tell me he’s going to go to the doctor when we get the bills paid and he pays off all his credit card debt. He also didn’t puke as much as he does now, but still did to a worrying degree. I believed him. And no, he’s not on any medications or anything. He hasn’t been to the doctor in 7 years.

EDIT 2: it’s been a progressive thing. Throughout the years it went from like a once a week thing, to a multiple times a week thing, and now a daily/ multiple times daily thing over the span of these 5 years. It’s not that I was okay dating him for so long knowing this was an issue because I didn’t know for a long time. He hid it well. Up until we moved in together, I thought it was a random anxiety thing. But then it progressed to every other day to now it’s daily and I can’t handle it. I’m worried sick.

wtf :barf:

He's bulimic, you gotta force him to the doctor now

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

My GF (28F) Joked About Male Enlargement Pills, I (28M) Brushed it Off.... Two Days Later She Says "I Bought You Something.."

quote:

The title says it all, but I will elaborate a bit more here:

On Saturday, my GF of two years did something that somewhat hurt my feelings/destroyed my manhood a bit. She sent me a link and to some of those male enlargement pills that can supposedly grow a penis by three inches in 30 days. I thought she was just joking so I "LOL'd," said no, and brushed it off. When I saw her yesterday (Monday), she said "I have something for you." To my surprise, she pulled out a bottle of those pills.

I said, "What the F***, are you serious right now? Really?" She said, "Relax I'm not saying you are not big enough. I just want to choke on an extra inch or three of you. I thought you would be cool with it." I said, "First of all, that is not for you to decide. Secondly, why would I do that for you? I'm comfortable with my endowment. Lastly, IF I were to consider this as a possiblity, you do know all of that is false adverting right? That stuff does not work." She said, "There is only one way to find out. Here, take them." I told her to leave and have not uttered a word to her. My phone is still blowing up with texts and calls. From the texts and voicemails, I can tell she did not expect me to tell her to leave. I kept cool as all of this was happening because I thought she was still kidding...

It irritates me that she did this. I wouldn't say she isn't happy with my size, but clearly her actions are alluding to this without her having to even say it. My question is, dear Redditors, am I overthinking/overreacting? I am considering ending it. She has apologized but I fear the damage is done. What she did was uncalled for and should only be done if one is insecure about their size. I still love her, but this stings still! Should I break it off? What should I say? Is there a way to recover from this?

P.S. I did tell her, "OK, I will take the pills, but only if you get a boob job." She said "Yes because I love you." 😂

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for being mad at my husband for throwing up?

How in the heck has she been with him for 5 years and hasn't given up on this crazy fucker for not going to the doctor or getting therapy or whatever he needs?!! :psyduck:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Straight White Shark posted:

My boyfriend (22M) insists I’m (21F) bisexual and it’s causing fights

One of my friends has repeatedly made out with and leered at girls while drunk, but steadfastly insists that she's not bi. Some people are weirdly tied to their sexual identity.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

DemoneeHo posted:

I'm certain this was posted in here a month ago, but i can't find the right post. But here it is with an update:

AITA for not teaching a skill to my oldest son that I taught his siblings because of the custody arrangement?

UPDATE to AITA for not teaching a skill to my oldest son that I taught his siblings

*Sigh* you stupid motherfucker. If the guilt really was too much to bear, then he should have let himself be bought out by the twins and then gave as much money as he felt he needed to to the older son. The idea that the three kids were ever going to work together productively was a non-starter as soon as the bitter one started getting family to take sides.

Now you've ruined your retirement, are going to put yourself in an early grave by doing work you aren't fit for, and it will be an absolute waste because even if the other son was capable of working and learning from you by getting over his attitude, he is just simply not suited in skills or temperament in the first place. This will be a complete waste of time and money and no one will be any happier about it than they are today He wanted a handout, and you've done everything but give him one.

The kid is a moron too. Dad's on his way out of his earthly shell and he had all the leverage in the world to ask for dad's share in the will while he worked at Starbucks for a couple years or something. Now he's got a garage full of poo poo he can't use and a family who will snub him out as soon as dad is out of the picture.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

DemoneeHo posted:

Some pretty appallingly bad fathering here. If my dad put in the time and effort to teach my siblings something but barely bothered to try with me because it was inconvenient I'd probably just peace out on my immediate family.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

chitoryu12 posted:

One of my friends has repeatedly made out with and leered at girls while drunk, but steadfastly insists that she's not bi. Some people are weirdly tied to their sexual identity.

Not that i'm accusing the OP of being bisexual herself, but it is a thing among men to engage in lots of gay sex and still identify as straight. Its so much of a thing that medical professionals call them MSMs or men who have sex with men.

"Are you gay or bi?"

"Straighter than Chuck Norris, doc."

"But you said you sucked 37 dicks while getting rammed by 5 dudes in the dark room of the Eagle this past Saturday night."

"Still straight, doc."

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

DemoneeHo posted:

My GF (28F) Joked About Male Enlargement Pills, I (28M) Brushed it Off.... Two Days Later She Says "I Bought You Something.."

Make her get the boob job first if you are going to do this deal.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The Bramble posted:

*Sigh* you stupid motherfucker. If the guilt really was too much to bear, then he should have let himself be bought out by the twins and then gave as much money as he felt he needed to to the older son. The idea that the three kids were ever going to work together productively was a non-starter as soon as the bitter one started getting family to take sides.

Now you've ruined your retirement, are going to put yourself in an early grave by doing work you aren't fit for, and it will be an absolute waste because even if the other son was capable of working and learning from you by getting over his attitude, he is just simply not suited in skills or temperament in the first place. This will be a complete waste of time and money and no one will be any happier about it than they are today He wanted a handout, and you've done everything but give him one.

The kid is a moron too. Dad's on his way out of his earthly shell and he had all the leverage in the world to ask for dad's share in the will while he worked at Starbucks for a couple years or something. Now he's got a garage full of poo poo he can't use and a family who will snub him out as soon as dad is out of the picture.

Yeah they hosed this one up real good.

Also lol at the mom being "I hate that we're fighting about money! Let's just force them to cut their brother in!" Like lol that will only make things worse, assuming it's something you have the capability to "force" them to do, which you probably don't.

The whole situation sucks though because while it's very unfortunate the dad's skills weren't passed to first son, the explanation for why that happened is completely reasonable.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

TheScott2K posted:

Some pretty appallingly bad fathering here. If my dad put in the time and effort to teach my siblings something but barely bothered to try with me because it was inconvenient I'd probably just peace out on my immediate family.

Really? Gonna have to disagree strongly here.

It sounds like this was ingrained in the upbringing of the other two kids. Dad only had the other son for weekends or something, so he didn't have the ability to really teach him properly. Sounds reasonable to me, and it sounds like he did try, as much as he could in the situation.

Also the alternative was "every weekend you go to see dad, you're going to work with wood and concrete, no fun stuff". Wow yeah I bet that would have been just been a stellar way of doing things that every kid would love.

Dad went wrong in his reaction to the fallout, but you can't blame him for how it happened. He didn't have primary custody.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah they hosed this one up real good.

Also lol at the mom being "I hate that we're fighting about money! Let's just force them to cut their brother in!" Like lol that will only make things worse, assuming it's something you have the capability to "force" them to do, which you probably don't.

The whole situation sucks though because while it's very unfortunate the dad's skills weren't passed to first son, the explanation for why that happened is completely reasonable.

I realize it's pretty much the point of r/relationships, but it still bothers me as much today as it did years ago to read about people utterly destroying their lives because they're too emotional to do anything except react react react to the way they feel, or the way they're manipulated to feel, and it's always disastrous. Like so much money, blood, love, and goodwill could be preserved if people would just hit the pause button on their lives and ask themselves "what is the preferred outcome for me in this situation, is it realistic, and is my current course of action bringing me closer to it?". Instead 95% of the posts are from people who missed the point of no return weeks ago and are asking the internet what to do with the flaming wreckage of their lives in the here and now. The other 5% are people making GBS threads themselves without warning.

Guilt is a gun you hand the person most eager to shoot you.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

That’s not what happened though?

He didn’t have full custody so he couldn’t feasibly teach him.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Chomp8645 posted:

Really? Gonna have to disagree strongly here.

It sounds like this was ingrained in the upbringing of the other two kids. Dad only had the other son for weekends or something, so he didn't have the ability to really teach him properly. Sounds reasonable to me, and it sounds like he did try, as much as he could in the situation.

Also the alternative was "every weekend you go to see dad, you're going to work with wood and concrete, no fun stuff". Wow yeah I bet that would have been just been a stellar way of doing things that every kid would love.

Dad went wrong in his reaction to the fallout, but you can't blame him for how it happened. He didn't have primary custody.

From the oldest sons's perspective, dad didn't really bother trying. It fits right in with what I imagine are very strong feelings of alienation from being the "other" kid. The one from the failed family that didn't work out. The other kids get to be a family and run a successful business together, all because of something his dad did for them but not for him. That's some deep hurt, and it didn't have to be that way.

There's also some extreme dismissiveness about contributions he could make that aren't on the crafting side of things. He could do the books, or do sales, or any number of other things a growing business needs that skilled craftsmen aren't necessarily suited for or interested in. But they see him as a sour-grapes interloper so that's not even on the table.

What a family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

DemoneeHo posted:

I was just trying to express some sadness for the lgbt teens who havent been crushed by lovely therapists yet, is all. Not accusing you of anything nor trying to deny your experiences

sorry for getting defensive