Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Clowner posted:

Luckily there's a Dune adaptation coming out and spearheaded by an actually good director, so when Episode IX: The Dark Jedi Rises inevitably shits into theatres we all have a real sci-fi epic to look forward to

[Narrator]: He shouldn't have gotten his hopes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

that would be neat except dune sucks worse than star wars

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Wrong

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Big Beef City posted:

that would be neat except dune sucks worse than star wars

Turn your're monitor on (and use it to watch DUNE).

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Applewhite posted:

Turn your're monitor on (and use it to watch DUNE).

Not your best advice applewhite

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Bill Murray should be Baron Harkonnen.

Blank McBlankerson
Feb 21, 2013

The Clowner posted:

Luckily there's a Dune adaptation coming out and spearheaded by an actually good director, so when Episode IX: The Dark Jedi Rises inevitably shits into theatres we all have a real sci-fi epic to look forward to

Im more excited about them turning Eisenhorn from teh Grimdark into a tv series. That will be a REAL sci-fi show to look forward to.

edit:

Applewhite posted:

Bill Murray should be Baron Harkonnen.

Adam Driver as Paul Atreides, circle complete

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

They picked Stellan Skarsgard for the new Baron and that's a pretty good casting

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Kazak posted:

Not your best advice applewhite

It is when you consider what he has to look at with his monitor off HEYO!

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Kazak posted:

TheIncredulousHulk this seems like a post for you

I suspect it's basically this:

Saint Drogo posted:

i think it's the general unfocused badness mixed with technical competence.

The new movies have done an unsettlingly good job overall of aping the look and tone of the OT but don't have the same storytelling chops so it's extra frustrating to reconcile why this thing feels like it ought to work but doesn't. The prequels, on the other hand, don't really try that hard to be imitative even when they're recycling imagery and the bad aspects are straightforward and confident without trying to trick you. It's like the difference between dealing with someone who's openly a shithead vs. a shithead who's pretending to be nice

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Applewhite posted:

It is when you consider what he has to look at with his monitor off HEYO!

This is incredibly true and rude

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Dune is some hideously bad stuff, but I'm assuming goons stanning it are doing so in an ironic way?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

stop loving using the word 'stan' as a verb christ it just makes you a complete rear end

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm really debbing this sando

as in eating a little debbie snack but instead it's a sandwich, get it?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Big Beef City posted:

stop loving using the word 'stan' as a verb christ it just makes you a complete rear end

:yeah:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Im excited to see a movie where a major character is played by a person who is in fact a rotting corpse. I feel that Disney’s marketing hasn’t stressed this breakthrough enough

Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Big Beef City posted:

Why are you stanning negativity, my dude? Stan good vibes instead.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

skasion posted:

Im excited to see a movie where a major character is played by a person who is in fact a rotting corpse. I feel that Disney’s marketing hasn’t stressed this breakthrough enough

Weekend at Bernie’s did it better.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
David Lynch’s DUNE, for all its flaws, is still more worthwhile than the new Star Wars trilogy.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Applewhite posted:

Weekend at Bernie’s did it better.

Certainly a bold step forward for corpse representation in film, but I do feel having Bernie played by one of the living was fairly disrespectful

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

skasion posted:

Certainly a bold step forward for corpse representation in film, but I do feel having Bernie played by one of the living was fairly disrespectful

It was a different time and deadface wasn’t taboo back then.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Applewhite posted:

David Lynch’s DUNE, for all its flaws, is still more worthwhile than the new Star Wars trilogy.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011
Star Wars: Last of the Nostalgia Dollars

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

So, it looks like Star Wars is crossing over with Warcraft, what with ol' Sheev hanging out on Space Ice Crown Glacier for 30 years, sitting on the Space Frozen Throne. Can't wait for Big Ben to put on the robe because there must always be a Sith Lord.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

I’m calling it. Franchise is out of ideas and they’re going to go all avengers and time travel.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Counterpoint: No.
Both shouldn't have been made. At least Lynch acknowledges his mistake.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

matrocious posted:

Star Wars: Last of the Nostalgia Dollars

Star Wars: Nostalgia Rising

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Big Beef City posted:

you sound like the only one in your class who listens to real music.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Big Beef City posted:

I don’t like Stan. It’s course and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

atomicpile posted:

I’m calling it. Franchise is out of ideas and they’re going to go all avengers and time travel.

Okay, how about this: Rey and Kylo face off against the Emp. Emp force rips out Kylos balls and Reys ovaries, uses the force to squash them into superdense protoplasm which quantum tunnels its way back though time to land in Shmi’s womb to be born as the mystery baby with no father Anakin Skywalker?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Torquemada posted:

Okay, how about this: Rey and Kylo face off against the Emp. Emp force rips out Kylos balls and Reys ovaries, uses the force to squash them into superdense protoplasm which quantum tunnels its way back though time to land in Shmi’s womb to be born as the mystery baby with no father Anakin Skywalker?

Imagine Kylo's balls on the edge of a cliff. Time works the same way.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Torquemada posted:

oh my god they are totally going to do this. I mean. Not literally this. But they're going to use time travel to impregnate that woman with vader.

It'll be because the Empire (or whatever the gently caress it is now who cares) has invented some new death star that will destroy the entire universe or something equally lame but they will instead harness its power to do the time travel loop and end the whole thing with a "Maybe this time, we'll get it RIGHT" and that will be the end of the series. lol holy poo poo

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

also even though they deleted the expanded universe stuff they should have done a prequel series from the REAL early days. By the time we get to Yoda and Luke, the Jedi are supposedly like 10,000+ years old and in the EU, they started off as, essentially He-man and then traded in real swords for light sabres, but hadn't figured out how to power them with hand held devices yet, so they wore giant US Military Flame thrower back packs connected to them with a hose.
Who wouldn't want to see He-man in a light sabre backpack?

Well I mean I wouldn't personally but you can't tell me the market wouldn't be there.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Big Beef City posted:

oh my god they are totally going to do this. I mean. Not literally this. But they're going to use time travel to impregnate that woman with vader.

It'll be because the Empire (or whatever the gently caress it is now who cares) has invented some new death star that will destroy the entire universe or something equally lame but they will instead harness its power to do the time travel loop and end the whole thing with a "Maybe this time, we'll get it RIGHT" and that will be the end of the series. lol holy poo poo

*Rian Johnson ruthlessly trolls Disney, the franchise, and everyone who has ever liked Star Wars*

JJ Abrams: "hold my beer"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

bradzilla posted:

Wow that last trailer did loving nothing for me.

I know right? I remember getting quite pumped at the TLJ one (and enjoyed the movie, for all its flaws)

Aug 3, 2014

Only Disney could have the sheer resources necessary to Frankenstein Carrie Fischer back to life for this movie

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Palpatine coming back seems like it should've been kept under wraps and would've had a much bigger impact when actually watching the movie the first time. This is just making me roll my eyes.

Then again maybe I'd be rolling my eyes watching the movie too.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
is this going to be a 3 hour long movie

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Needs more spock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Tighclops posted:

Needs more spock

*spock exits 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' screening*

the approach this movie took in regards to my expectations was.... highly illogical