Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

For those who care about TFT, they have an in-depth dev blog about what they've learned from the first set and what their design goals are for the future.
https://nexus.leagueoflegends.com/en-us/2019/10/dev-tft-set-1-learnings/

Addamere posted:

I miss pre-World of Warcraft voice acting from Blizzard where every single female character was like the same 2 interns. You knew that OG Sarah Kerrigan, Diablo 1 Rogue, Diablo 2 Kashya, and the War3 dryad were all the same person. And Metzen voiced half the male cast.

Heroes of the Storm has a start-of-the-game interaction between Uther and Kel'Thuzad from Warcraft.
Uther: You know, you sound awfully familiar.
Kel'Thuzad: What are you implying, paladin? That all necromancers sound alike?

At first I thought that was just a joke about both those characters being voiced by Michael McConnohie (also The Lich King). At some point I realized he ALSO voiced Xul, the necromancer from Diablo II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

pog boyfriend posted:

"untrained intern poorly does one thing",

The Warframe method.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Karthus jungle is pretty much freelo and nobody bans it as much as they should below master.

Also Garen.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 22, 2019

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Never the ones that are on my team.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Karthus jungle is pretty much freelo and nobody bans it as much as they should below master.

Also Garen.

look we would all get lots of wins in iron

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
You can see the match elo in the match history, going from gold 2 to plat 3 rather quickly.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Patch notes are live, and apparently the second set for TFT will be on the PBE today.

"Who's that champion?!"

"It's... Malphite!"

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I saw that yesterday and it’s perfect.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Also Garen.

whats your league name

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Also Garen.

Triple-Kan posted:

whats your league name

And what are your rates

Luna Was Here fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 22, 2019

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Addamere posted:

And Metzen voiced half the male cast.

I'm not gonna lie, I really like Metzen's VA in Starcraft, before he or someone else decided that all his voices were going to be Orcs grunting.

The marine, ghost and battlecruiser commander voices are all pretty iconic.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/Mortdog/status/1186719240692224000

Besides all the new characters I'd say 2/3 of the new TFT cast is now using skins, good luck learning who is who again if you didn't play LoL.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 22, 2019

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Preseason stuff's going up on the PBE. They're trying something, uh... interesting with Klepto:

quote:

Kleptomancy Rework

We previously announced: Power siphoned out of gold procs and into elixirs to weaken the "farm my opponent" pattern, especially ranged vs melee.
Updated: Klepto has been significantly reworked into a “mastery of all keystones” playstyle. You cycle between all of the keystones - they key is to use them effectively and quickly for max value.
Gain a random keystone - once it is used gain another after 7 seconds.
Includes - Lethal Tempo, Fleet Footwork, Aery, Comet, Phase Rush, Predator (only if you have boots), Electrocute, Hail of Blades, Grasp of the Undying, Glacial Augment
Keystones cycle pseudo randomly - you cannot repeat a keystone for 5 rolls after it has been used
Entering the fountain will reroll your current keystone

strong bird
May 12, 2009

is there anyone playing league autochess if theyve never played league

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Vermain posted:

Preseason stuff's going up on the PBE. They're trying something, uh... interesting with Klepto:

seems utterly broken for laning phase, there's a reason why a lot of these have 20 sec+ cooldowns

e: like imagine neeko or kennen having this and getting comet into electrocute at lvl 1

Firebert fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 22, 2019

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Vermain posted:

That looks really dumb. What champ would ever want to do this instead of a stable keystone?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Firebert posted:

seems utterly broken for laning phase, there's a reason why a lot of these have 20 sec+ cooldowns

That's presumably why it has a 5 roll lockout. At absolute most, you can get the same keystone every 42 seconds.

I think what'll ultimately kill it is that it ends up being cumbersome on the enemy player, since it requires either a clear in-game nameplate element (which could end up cluttering up what's becoming an already busy space), or it requires the enemy player to constantly hit Tab to remember what keystone they have. I'd probably just scrap the whole concept of The Random Keystone and go with something else.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
I really dislike all of the RNG that is being added to the game. I like league as a game of skill, not chance.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You can see the match elo in the match history, going from gold 2 to plat 3 rather quickly.

I was just kidding, nice work!

I played a game today with a karthus jungle who probably got solokilled by the enemy team's master yi four times in the first ten minutes and we still won and jungle had the most damage, lol.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Erdricks posted:

I really dislike all of the RNG that is being added to the game. I like league as a game of skill, not chance.

There was always RNG and in fact it’s probably less now than it was in season 8 (the official worst season insh’AllAH)

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mierenneuker posted:

Besides all the new characters I'd say 2/3 of the new TFT cast is now using skins, good luck learning who is who again if you didn't play LoL.

The fact that Ashe isn't glacial feels weird.

I don't like this model because it's very much a "this is invariably gonna change completely again".

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I tried a game of TFT and I think something went weird because I loaded in well after the first carousel and just got thrusted a Twisted Fate and oh god the game doesn't give me enough time to parse anything and I don't know what's happening and oh god.

It went very poorly.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They have over a hundred champions and are already rehashing characters.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I tried a game of TFT and I think something went weird because I loaded in well after the first carousel and just got thrusted a Twisted Fate and oh god the game doesn't give me enough time to parse anything and I don't know what's happening and oh god.

It went very poorly.

If this is any consolation after a while you get enough time to parse things that you can play the game half-afk and alt-tab all the time.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I guess that's one way to make the Season 2 meta distinct from the Season 1 one.

I fully expect several people to take Ashe from the carousel expecting her to be glacial.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It went very poorly.

This is exactly the experience for your first ten games or so, then you get used to it and are constantly looking at your phone and forgetting to buy things

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Mierenneuker posted:

Boo hoo hoo, I already miss the Lululu

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Excited, big shakeups are always fun in autochessers. When we just had the mod it was very fun to have everything changing at the drop of a hat whenever the devs felt like it.

A big concern I had with TFT was that it would follow the normal League patching cycle and shakeups would be few and far between, hopefully after we have this one for a bit we don't have to wait for season 11 for something like this again.

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 22, 2019

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not making Zyra Woodland when every other hero has a fire-themed skin is super weird.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Nazzadan posted:

Excited, big shakeups are always fun in autochessers. When we just had the mod it was very fun to have everything changing at the drop of a hat whenever the devs felt like it.

A big concern I had with TFT was that it would follow the normal League patching cycle and shakeups would be few and far between, hopefully after we have this one for a bit we don't have to wait for season 11 for something like this again.

It'll probably in some format follow the league schedule, have big drops at the mid point and end of the years

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Yeah big changes like this a couple times a year would work, imo this genre definitely needs a "A meta has developed? gently caress it, new units and items, delete the most built units and items" button every few weeks but I know I'd be asking way too much for that.

For reference the mod every couple weeks would take the data it collected and they would announce a "winner" for the week, being either the most OP or the most UP unit and change them significantly or remove them altogether and drop a new unit in it's place.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The new support items are real loving good. They have the highest gold efficiency in the game (the new Remnant of the Watchers equivalent has 426% efficiency on its last upgrade!), and their slot efficiency is only slightly worse than their old incarnations. This opens up a lot more room for early laning itemization instead of having to funnel everything into upgrading it, and leaves you with a cool 1400~ gold to spend on whatever. You could theoretically do some weird poo poo like support Ashe with much less difficulty compared to now. Only big downside is that the mana regen and CDR were removed from every item, but that's a minor issue.

Only thing I'm worried about is if tank supports can survive in the new ecoystem. Relic and its AP equivalent don't have a heal anymore, and Aftershock got super hosed: it's now 35 + 80% of bonus Armor/MR, which means early game engage supports are missing out on a good 30-40 Armor/MR when they engage. It feels like a single engage that doesn't result in a kill is just a straight up death sentence with the changes.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 22, 2019

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nazzadan posted:

Yeah big changes like this a couple times a year would work, imo this genre definitely needs a "A meta has developed? gently caress it, new units and items, delete the most built units and items" button every few weeks but I know I'd be asking way too much for that.

For reference the mod every couple weeks would take the data it collected and they would announce a "winner" for the week, being either the most OP or the most UP unit and change them significantly or remove them altogether and drop a new unit in it's place.

I strongly disagree with this. Big shakeups essentially render previous knowledge of the game useless and I understand that it's a model that some companies need to do (especially if you need to keep selling cards) but in TFT's case it just means that if you ever play the game and find it good as is a big shakeup just erases that game from existence.

Ranked play where everything is rebalanced "every few weeks" means that unless you're at rock bottom or you can play the game as a full time job the entire thing will be a constant nightmare.

Also the notion that anything overpowered needs to be changed ASAP, much less deleted, is unbelievably poor game design and it's a pillar of competitive play and one of the few things that both devs and pro players universally agree that any significantly overwhelming cheese or tactic is likely to be countered with time as players learn the game. There's been multiple cases of this in street fighter and starcraft.

Last but definitely not least the player retention of released games (not mods) that feel the urge to radically change everything every couple of weeks is historically low because, and I can't emphasize this enough, ain't nobody got time for that. Even Riot was quick to acknowledge that in early TFT life and waited for the season to roll over because the player retention drops like crazy if the game doesn't show some semblance of stability.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 22, 2019

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

strong bird posted:

is there anyone playing league autochess if theyve never played league

I havent played league in ten years but I played some autochess. The art is terrible but there's only like 40 units so you get used to who's who.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

With pretty much every genre of game I would agree with you other than auto chess, it's a staple of the genre. The mod did it, Underlords does it, the standalone on the EGS does it, TFT should do it. The game should be about going with the flow of what the game gets you rather than forcing a comp, and radically changing what the game can get you just goes hand in hand with that imo.

I'm open to Riot trying to do it less frequently and we'll see how it pans out but I personally find it really fun when auto chess games throw established knowledge out the window and make you learn how to use a new unit, item, etc.

Edit 2: Okay I don't mean ENTIRE roster revamps like this, fwiw. Stuff like this is better left for once or twice a year max.

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 22, 2019

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Vermain posted:

That's presumably why it has a 5 roll lockout. At absolute most, you can get the same keystone every 42 seconds.

I think what'll ultimately kill it is that it ends up being cumbersome on the enemy player, since it requires either a clear in-game nameplate element (which could end up cluttering up what's becoming an already busy space), or it requires the enemy player to constantly hit Tab to remember what keystone they have. I'd probably just scrap the whole concept of The Random Keystone and go with something else.

I don't say this lightly but honestly they should consider just removing klepto at this point and replacing it with a completely different concept. It's been a balance nightmare ever since the new runes were added and there's only like 2 or 3 champions that use it regularly outside of the aforementioned ranged-vs-melee matchups anyway

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Erdricks posted:

Since the elementals they've been just adding more and more rng. Now the elemental affect the game even in a bigger way than before so ya gonna be fun to get rng'd.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Anora posted:

The Warframe method.

GROWTH

PROFIT

GROFIT

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I wonder if pros are gonna hate the new RNG map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Monicro posted:

I don't say this lightly but honestly they should consider just removing klepto at this point and replacing it with a completely different concept. It's been a balance nightmare ever since the new runes were added and there's only like 2 or 3 champions that use it regularly outside of the aforementioned ranged-vs-melee matchups anyway

I mean, that is basically entirely what they are doing anyway.