Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

is this going to be a 3 hour long movie

think godfather II. Then keep going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
My only question is what is Kylo Ren's motivation. 4+ hours of sequels and I dont have the slightest clue why he does anything

No Disney, "RAAAAAAGH" is not a motivation

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

he's pissed at his dad for some reason and that Luke tried to snuff him out as a kid?

Those betrayals by people in his life gave way to his anger and his for sensitivity give you Vader 2.0

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Big Beef City posted:

think godfather II. Then keep going.

you mean, think godfather III?

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Big Beef City posted:

he's pissed at his dad for some reason and that Luke tried to snuff him out as a kid?

Those betrayals by people in his life gave way to his anger and his for sensitivity give you Vader 2.0
Kylo Ren is a great illustration of how the dark side would be a no brainer for angry white boys & win immediately in the real world.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
After seeing The Joker, Kylo really is just a cry baby. Arthur Flick actually had some REAL problems, I'm just not buying Kylo's space nazi heel turn

We never see Kylo as ever being good, so there's no tragedy. Bleh.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I hope rise of sky walker is 5 hours long and basically just covers what episodes 8 and 9 were supposed to cover

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Kylo’s parents abandoned him and he had to move in with his creepy uncle who tried to kill him. Therefore he uh, somehow fell in with a bulbous-headed dark wizard at war with his mom for no immediately obvious reason, who told him to become Darth Vader.

These sequels could really use a prequel to explain how any of the poo poo in them makes sense

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Dre2Dee2 posted:

After seeing The Joker, Kylo really is just a cry baby. Arthur Flick actually had some REAL problems, I'm just not buying Kylo's space nazi heel turn

We never see Kylo as ever being good, so there's no tragedy. Bleh.

...he's not supposed to be tragic.

He's just an emo douchebag who's mad about poo poo and immediately went "Force lightning? Sign me up." He doesn't need a dramatic, tragic issue, he's just that whiny rear end in a top hat no one likes. No, it doesn't make for a good story, but I don't think you're ever at all really supposed to think "geez I really feel for the guy". Even AFTER you find out Luke tried to kill him once Luke realized "poo poo this kid is an rear end in a top hat". That's just who he is.

Honestly if he gets a redemption arc I'd be kinda pissed. He's NOT Vader. He wasn't once a good kid that was brutally mauled and turned into a cyborg and said "gently caress it". He's not Palpatine who had political motivation. He's just a snot nosed bastard mad about stuff. Like, he wears a Vader mask and doesn't NEED to. Vader needed that to freaking LIVE. He wears his because he cries at night and gets pissy.

If anything, I suppose, you're supposed to hate the character for that reason and those motivations (I'm mad at dad and uncle Luke!) alone making him flee immediately to the dark side should, probably, give him dark side powers STRONGER than Vader, even if he wasn't 'classically' trained as a Jedi, first. Just pure selfish "NO YOU DAD" anger is probably the epitome of the dark side barring outright war-rage or some poo poo. But he's too feeble minded to grasp this, which makes him an even worse, unlikable character, because if just admitted "I'm a goth teenager wearing a vader costume" then he could actually DO something. Instead he fails even at that.

There has been NO point during the time I've seen of him that I've thought him worthy of even being an apprentice of a Sith lord, from what I understand, and the only thing I can come up with is that there were literally no other force sensitive candidates available for either Snoke or the Emperor or whoever the actual current Sith lord was to draw from to make #2 and they were like "Fine. gently caress it. I'll do this as a spite thing against the whole Skywalker gang" and he'd IMMEDIATELY be replaced should literally any other more capable candidate for succession come along, and his stupid light sabre be thrown into the reactor core.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 22, 2019

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Kylo wins book 3

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Ya but Vader was never good.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

You got a lot of nerve posting that much about star wars

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

skasion posted:

Kylo’s parents abandoned him and he had to move in with his creepy uncle who tried to kill him. Therefore he uh, somehow fell in with a bulbous-headed dark wizard at war with his mom for no immediately obvious reason, who told him to become Darth Vader.

These sequels could really use a prequel to explain how any of the poo poo in them makes sense

:yeshaha:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Colonel Cancer posted:

Ya but Vader was never good.

He was good at pod racing

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Big Beef City posted:

...he's not supposed to be tragic.

He's just an emo douchebag who's mad about poo poo and immediately went "Force lightning? Sign me up." He doesn't need a dramatic, tragic issue, he's just that whiny rear end in a top hat no one likes. No, it doesn't make for a good story, but I don't think you're ever at all really supposed to think "geez I really feel for the guy". Even AFTER you find out Luke tried to kill him once Luke realized "poo poo this kid is an rear end in a top hat". That's just who he is.

Honestly if he gets a redemption arc I'd be kinda pissed. He's NOT Vader. He wasn't once a good kid that was brutally mauled and turned into a cyborg and said "gently caress it". He's not Palpatine who had political motivation. He's just a snot nosed bastard mad about stuff. Like, he wears a Vader mask and doesn't NEED to. Vader needed that to freaking LIVE. He wears his because he cries at night and gets pissy.

If anything, I suppose, you're supposed to hate the character for that reason and those motivations (I'm mad at dad and uncle Luke!) alone making him flee immediately to the dark side should, probably, give him dark side powers STRONGER than Vader, even if he wasn't 'classically' trained as a Jedi, first. Just pure selfish "NO YOU DAD" anger is probably the epitome of the dark side barring outright war-rage or some poo poo. But he's too feeble minded to grasp this, which makes him an even worse, unlikable character, because if just admitted "I'm a goth teenager wearing a vader costume" then he could actually DO something. Instead he fails even at that.

There has been NO point during the time I've seen of him that I've thought him worthy of even being an apprentice of a Sith lord, from what I understand, and the only thing I can come up with is that there were literally no other force sensitive candidates available for either Snoke or the Emperor or whoever the actual current Sith lord was to draw from to make #2 and they were like "Fine. gently caress it. I'll do this as a spite thing against the whole Skywalker gang" and he'd IMMEDIATELY be replaced should literally any other more capable candidate for succession come along, and his stupid light sabre be thrown into the reactor core.

Snoke isn’t a Sith Lord and we have basically no idea what his motivations were...except for the fact that he literally DOES immediately try to replace Kylo as soon as another option (Rey) comes along. Almost everything in these movies suggests that this particular Star War is just being fought between the private armies of two bigwigs, Snoke and Leia. In that context, him making her son his bitch starts to look more like a personal power move than anything.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
If my face looked like Kylo's coming from two hotties like Han and Leia, I would be totally emo sith too.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

Dre2Dee2 posted:

My only question is what is Kylo Ren's motivation. 4+ hours of sequels and I dont have the slightest clue why he does anything

No Disney, "RAAAAAAGH" is not a motivation

disney needed a character that looks and acts like darth vader in order to make their billion dollar soft reboot scam trilogy work

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
I wonder how many times executives have come into the editing room to gently caress this movie up like every other Disney star war. My favorite is the huge amount of toys/merch that gets made for characters that never even make it into the movie.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Cant wait for the hilarious youtube reviews for this one. Or the hilarious film study review about how woke disney is by the whacky youtube girl in pigtails. Just cant wait

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I'm in for the 21 hour marathon at Alamo Drafthouse. I'm imagining the smell now.

They're starting at 10pm with episode I. This is going to be a long night.

Upside: Alamo Drafthouse serves liquor.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Well, you only need to stay for a few hours.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
Looks like the leak from last year is accurate:
https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarssp...tm_source=share

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shamino posted:

Looks like the leak from last year is accurate:
https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarssp...tm_source=share

I remember this but why are suddenly saying it's accurate?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

lofi posted:

Well, you only need to stay for a few hours.

Episode IX is at the end of the marathon and they force you to stay for the whole thing. Almost like they knew people would only stay for the ot and ix.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Richard M Nixon posted:

I'm in for the 21 hour marathon at Alamo Drafthouse. I'm imagining the smell now.

jesus christ and i thought the Lord of the Rings Extended Trilogy marathon was a brutal slog

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Richard M Nixon posted:

christ do they have ambulances on standby?

also; lol that rumor sheet - "The Empire Wins". well. That fits this hell world time line.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Big Beef City posted:

christ do they have ambulances on standby?

also; lol that rumor sheet - "The Empire Wins". well. That fits this hell world time line.

It's much grimmer, and darker, than the other movies in the series

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm so tired of these Star Wars

anyway when's the next marvel movie coming out?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Vim Fuego posted:

It's much grimmer, and darker, than the other movies in the series

But still, it's about family.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Away all Goats posted:

I'm so tired of these Star Wars

anyway when's the next marvel movie coming out?

December 20th, 2019.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Really??!?

E: I just looked it up and I don’t thonk it’s real but there are four Marvel movies set for 2021

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Kinda a dick move that Lando has a fleet of thousands of ships that didnt show up in ep 8.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wasn't the Alliance basically a beach volleyball team with a few subs by the end of ep8?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
uhhhh, no, because there's no "Alliance" anymore. it's called ~~*~the Resistance~*~~ now, pops

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

I remember this but why are suddenly saying it's accurate?

Lots of the stuff in the leak seems to be true in the trailers, also leaker was mostly accurate about ep 8.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shamino posted:

Lots of the stuff in the leak seems to be true in the trailers, also leaker was mostly accurate about ep 8.

Oh yeah that's right a trailer came out. Guess I'll watch it, because oh my god if those leaks are real this is gonna be a hell of a thing.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Well that was a thing I guess. Not really sure how it goes into any of those weird leaks about a Blood Powered Starforge, except for the mostly water planet being showcased I guess. Pretty flimsy. What really stands out to me is that it appears to just be doing a big old rehash of Return of the Jedi because I guess that's all Abrams understands. The Not Vader and the Blue-Saber hero confront the Empreror while a giant fleet of ships fight. Wow real original.

I ain't going to the theater to see this poo poo!

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 23, 2019

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Chomp8645 posted:

Well that was a thing I guess. Not really sure how it goes into any of those weird leaks about a Blood Powered Starforge except for a mostly water planet being showcased. Seems like it just doing a big old rehash of Return of the Jedi because I guess that's all Abrams understands. The Not Vader and the Blue-Saber hero confront the Empreror while a giant fleet of ships fight. Wow real original.

I ain't going to the theater to see this poo poo!

Tbf that's pretty much all SW can ever be. Fans wouldn't like it otherwise. Save your money for Dune.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Desert planet...

Arrakisss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/asunflowerpose/status/1186768645227073537?s=20

very progressive of Disney to make the hero of the new trilogy Jewish imo