Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Here we go, only a month away from the big con.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Imagine the scrambling around/crunch sessions with this upcoming debacle.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AbstractNapper posted:

Here we go, only a month away from the big con.

Its all rather exciting.

What new ways will they come up with for getting money out of backers? Or will they stick with the tried and true method of showing a video hinting on what might be but then not delivering on it?

What franchises hasn't CR stolen from yet that might sell more ships? There was that thread about the Expanse the other day. That one is perfect. Show of a ship called the Rocinante, have some dramatic music, show a crew speaking Belter, invent some game mechanics for it that doesn't exist, they will make millions!

Basically they can do just about anything.

Well, except show CR actually playing the game.... i don't think they want to go there again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am going to serious response this just because that is the kinda idiot that I am; Cyberpunk 2077 is not deserving of criticism because it did not begin development until 2016, and it was not a crowd funded project. It's a 100% self funded game with CDPR being its own publisher. Star Citizen is the exact opposite, it started development in 2012, and is a crowd funded project. It is a huge problem that Chris Roberts refuses to acknowledge this, and that he believes there should be zero accountability.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Agony Aunt posted:

Its all rather exciting.

What new ways will they come up with for getting money out of backers? Or will they stick with the tried and true method of showing a video hinting on what might be but then not delivering on it?

What franchises hasn't CR stolen from yet that might sell more ships? There was that thread about the Expanse the other day. That one is perfect. Show of a ship called the Rocinante, have some dramatic music, show a crew speaking Belter, invent some game mechanics for it that doesn't exist, they will make millions!

Basically they can do just about anything.

Well, except show CR actually playing the game.... i don't think they want to go there again.

Nah, going to call it all coming together at long last. They’ll have booths for people to try some drop-in play, and they’ll wrap up the bugs. You know how it’s darkest before the dawn? Well, this year for sure they’ll backfill all that functionality for claims, buildings, bounties, missions, ninety-nine remaining systems, sandworms and procedural birbs. No more ship promotions, just solid marketing for a release date.

Don’t let me down, Chris. You’re our only hope to save the future of PC gaming.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Hav posted:

Nah, going to call it all coming together at long last. They’ll have booths for people to try some drop-in play, and they’ll wrap up the bugs. You know how it’s darkest before the dawn? Well, this year for sure they’ll backfill all that functionality for claims, buildings, bounties, missions, ninety-nine remaining systems, sandworms and procedural birbs. No more ship promotions, just solid marketing for a release date.

Don’t let me down, Chris. You’re our only hope to save the future of PC gaming.

I think this is a big mistake, the whole ground breaking Play By Purchase Alternative Reality Game has been a fantastic success. Pivoting the entire business model the bog standard game development is a sure recipe for disaster.

I really can't believe Mr & Mrs Space would do this, the Caldersoningtons must have made a secret take over deal with Ben, who is not fat.

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

So long and thanks for all the fish

Squadron 54 due in 4 quarters, I promise promise. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_I088pIQ3M

Subsumption is looking :discourse:

Next year most likely? Is this the super-duper secret dev build no one knows about?

I see no BMM up to 4.0, which is Q2, 2020. Most importantly, none of this matters because

:boom:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

rePool posted:

Next year most likely? Is this the super-duper secret dev build no one knows about?

:boom:

wait guys arent there still like 10 thousand ships sold but not playable? they're only adding one in 4.0?

how many levels of doublethink do i need to be on for this to make sense

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Remember when they were selling giant tanks a while back? I'm sure there's plenty tank related gameplay in thos caves.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/AMourningstar/status/1186776995578802176

All. The. Tagging.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thank you thank you thank you for taking the time, doing it right, not cutting corners, going the extra mile, and making the best drat space sim ever!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Spoiler alert: no actual PvP happens here, no one dies, nothing happens at all.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Anyone want this? Opened up my old account from 2014 and found this in my hangar

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

#yourgamestillcantdothis is a pretty good message to send cig

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

What I find funny here is that this implies that people own not a database row that points to a type of ship that is spawned but somehow a material description of that ship? LIke the object file for that ship is stored individually for each person, and it gets corrupted with patches? I don't get any other explanation that would cause these bugs. And is fo.. lol fuckign lol

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

To be fair, I don't blame them, the bug was kinda obscure and by now is about two years old. And aside of that, you usually wouldn't spend hundred hours (with a fuel tank filled ship and boost macro) to fly towards a planet / star checking whether it's there or not (and that to load its textures properly you have to supercruise anyway).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY7E0DEp5yI

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nemo2342 posted:

My idiot coworker just bought into Star Citizen. He wants to "haul cargo in space", so I tried to suggest he look at Elite Dangerous instead, but no he claims that looked too difficult.

Trip report:

Coworker 20 fps. @ 1440p and very high textures. welll. 20-25 inside a cave

Coworke: low textures i can hit 35 fps. and it doesn't look THAT bad.

He's now considering upgrading his SSD to improve performance.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cool, so it loads textures and collision models of the space bodies, only doesn't load instancing. Thanks for the video, I stand corrected in that aspect!

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Cool, so it loads textures and collision models of the space bodies, only doesn't load instancing. Thanks for the video, I stand corrected in that aspect!

One of the FDDEVDEVS once said long ago the entire universe could be seamless but for network instancing. He said specifically that it "would" be possible to fly to a neighboring star system without hyperspacing, but it would take weeks in supercruise and years in normal space and no one sane would ever do it, so they never bothered to implement the triggers to generate the system as you got closer. So you get there and no system would appear.

Of course a very sane person tried it, and hey presto, no system appeared.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Nemo2342 posted:

Trip report:

Tell him that performances will improve if he has a bigger ship.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Experimental Skin posted:

One of the FDDEVDEVS once said long ago the entire universe could be seamless but for network instancing. He said specifically that it "would" be possible to fly to a neighboring star system without hyperspacing, but it would take weeks in supercruise and years in normal space and no one sane would ever do it, so they never bothered to implement the triggers to generate the system as you got closer. So you get there and no system would appear.

Of course a very sane person tried it, and hey presto, no system appeared.

Yeah, it'd probably be reasonably easy to manage trigonometry and when you're somewhere in the middle of the route instance the new system seamlessly, but the profit for the work done is tiny, since people will do it once tops (to test it's possible).

The only thing the devs were wrong about were weeks in supercruise, for the shortest distances it's few hours or so, I believe?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Nemo2342 posted:

Trip report:

What sort of GPU do they have?

The performance actually wasn’t too bad the last time I played it back in the Spring. I wonder if it’s gotten worse again.

I was getting around 40fps at 4K/max settings on a 1080Ti and a regular (non PCI) SSD.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 23, 2019

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

My predictions for Citizen Con:

1) Carrack - straight to flight ready.
2) Another S42 vertical slice.
3) Some major new landing zone for SC, as per The_Agent probably Earth.
4) Huge uptick in whale money.
5) Land claim ship will be teased.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Another case of someone not using Optane technology.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

You should be able to mine that sucker to get some gravity goo.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHAv5Lqf3GI&t=1326s

oh god, AngryJoe fell for it early on!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8NsXTFpld0

Noobifier shreds the flight model

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

a subtle nod to kirk v gorn, chris you've done it again!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

He really, really liked the older no-clip flight model.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Is that how you win at Twitter?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Yeah he lives near Austin and did an pretty tough interview with the devs last CitCon. He’s soured on SC pretty hard in the past few years and no longer contributes to crowdfunded games.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yeah, it'd probably be reasonably easy to manage trigonometry and when you're somewhere in the middle of the route instance the new system seamlessly, but the profit for the work done is tiny, since people will do it once tops (to test it's possible).

The only thing the devs were wrong about were weeks in supercruise, for the shortest distances it's few hours or so, I believe?

Yup, even less actually if you find two systems very close to each other.

There are two systems in the bubble that are right on top of each other, and two in the Eagle nebula where are closer together than Alpha Centauri A is to Hutton Orbital.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Noobifier being critcal? Hold the presses!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I said come in! posted:

Spoiler alert: no actual PvP happens here, no one dies, nothing happens at all.

"SATURATE THE AREA WITH BULLETS!"

Yeah, i was skeptical with your statement that no PvP happens, but hell, you're right. I didn't see a single opponent. They were just shooting their bullets at walls.

And then, towards the end, Rex comes out with his usual "We do this every day", and it makes me think, what a sad life you must have.

Agony Aunt fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 23, 2019

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Golli posted:

Another case of someone not using Optane technology.

When it comes to Star Citizen, I prefer opt-out technology :smuggo:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Nemo2342 posted:

My idiot coworker just bought into Star Citizen. He wants to "haul cargo in space", so I tried to suggest he look at Elite Dangerous instead, but no he claims that looked too difficult.
why does he want to haul cargo in space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

Yup, even less actually if you find two systems very close to each other.

There are two systems in the bubble that are right on top of each other, and two in the Eagle nebula where are closer together than Alpha Centauri A is to Hutton Orbital.

I likely miss remembered the time taken. The wiki says-

Maximum Supercruise speed (when not affected by stellar bodies) is 2,001c and takes 57 min to reach.

Supercruised to another system. It would take 4h 22m 51s to travel 1 light year at maximum Supercruise speed.