Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cocoa Crispies posted:

welcome to my gently caress pad. please put any electronics you have in a locker and go through the metal detector -andy rubin upon entrance to any office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

nah it's not just andy rubin, some of the others are like that too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

quote:

We’ve been working on an option for users to require their eyes to be open to unlock the phone, which will be delivered in a software update in the coming months. In the meantime, if any Pixel 4 users are concerned that someone may take their phone and try to unlock it while their eyes are closed, they can activate a security feature that requires a pin, pattern or password for the next unlock. Pixel 4 face unlock meets the security requirements as a strong biometric, and can be used for payments and app authentication, including banking apps. It is resilient against invalid unlock attempts via other means, like with masks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

google released a half-baked feature? why i never!

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's like the good old days when every google product was "in beta" forever.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Endless Mike posted:

google released a half-baked feature? why i never!

and apparently it will take "months" to figure out whether eyes are open or closed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

really breaking new ground here

bleeding edge stuff

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

infernal machines posted:

and apparently it will take "months" to figure out whether eyes are open or closed

what's awesome is some product manager at google will have achieved a measurable business objective by releasing this unfinished feature

"great artists ship, really great artists ship before the end of the employee review period"
- kurt kobain

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://www.gsmarena.com/banks_around_the_world_are_removing_support_for_the_galaxy_s10_and_note10_from_their_apps-news-39756.php lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
unsafe at any speed

mystes
May 31, 2006

Removing support for the fingerprint sensor is one thing, but refusing to run the app on the phone at all is just stupid.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

mystes posted:

Removing support for the fingerprint sensor is one thing, but refusing to run the app on the phone at all is just stupid.

lol if they hosed up a finger print scanner imagine how hosed the rest of it is

mystes
May 31, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

lol if they hosed up a finger print scanner imagine how hosed the rest of it is
More hosed than some random Chinese android phone?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

samsung is korean tho

mystes
May 31, 2006

infernal machines posted:

samsung is korean tho
I'm saying there are probably lots of people using worse phones that aren't getting security updates at all from companies like BLU, and they probably aren't getting blocked by banks because there aren't newspaper articles about the fact that they're insecure.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i agree, banking apps shouldn't run on android at all, but it's a tough sell these days

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I don't get it disabling the app entirely for a phone vs just disabling the fingerprint login. Could be that their app is so well made that they have no idea to block that per device and it just accepts using it on any device that exposes the capability which would be lol.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

mystes posted:

I agree, but most banking apps refuse to run on jailbroken or rooted phones when the web banking obviously still works fine, so I assume it's yet more security theatre.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 23, 2019

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
okay i know i'm posting a lot of links but mega lol at this:

https://twitter.com/MishaalRahman/status/1186850803258200065?s=20

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Celexi posted:

I don't get it disabling the app entirely for a phone vs just disabling the fingerprint login. Could be that their app is so well made that they have no idea to block that per device and it just accepts using it on any device that exposes the capability which would be lol.

this is a bank that is just in the process of removing “log in with memorable questions” ... and replacing it with “log in with an sms code”

I do not think they make the best security decisions

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

mystes posted:

rando chinese phones don't have the userbase that samsungs do. the actuaries absolutely ran the numbers and realized that with their install base this issue could bite them in the rear end hard, other ones will be smaller and less impactful. this is how every sane company assesses risk and their response to it.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

crepeface posted:

that’s the dumbest loving thing.

should we switch display frequency based on the content? no, gently caress it, just use the brightness level. watching your 30 FPS YouTube video, 90hz. scrolling your web browser in a dark room, gently caress you, 60.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The Management posted:

that’s the dumbest loving thing.

should we switch display frequency based on the content? no, gently caress it, just use the brightness level. watching your 30 FPS YouTube video, 90hz. scrolling your web browser in a dark room, gently caress you, 60.

Andoird: gently caress you

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

crepeface posted:

a bit weird, but i guess the pretty low brightness pwm (250 hz iirc) on past pixels remains, and the frequencies start noticeably interfering on lower brightnesses with the higher refresh rate? e.g. 70% brightness having each bright period showing the very awkward 1.9444 frames?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It sounds like they should have used a higher pwm frequency for the backlight. Wtf is 250hz lol I can do 10khz with any LED any day for like 50 cents

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
what backlight?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh, it's oled? Well that's extra stupid then since it's all the same controller. Why the gently caress wouldn't they use a frequency that's a multiple of both 60 and 90 Hertz

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
the hardware is capable of it, you can force it in developer options. they just made it work this way because of arbitrary google reasons

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Celexi posted:

it's very simple: blocking it from certain devices is as simple as setting a flag on the google play store to not allow the app on them. blocking an api on certain devices requires actual development of the app.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Oh, it's oled? Well that's extra stupid then since it's all the same controller. Why the gently caress wouldn't they use a frequency that's a multiple of both 60 and 90 Hertz

to be clear i am just speculating on why they've done it that way (with two separate configurations for the screen it is clearly not some accident/bug), but i also can't think of anything else that'd make more sense. looking it up the pixel 3 did indeed pwm around 250 hz, on oled, so not remembering the facts wrong at least.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
maybe it's a battery life thing

i.e. if you have your brightness max on, you obviously don't give a poo poo about battery life, so you get all the battery draining looks-flashy features

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol even the ambient light affects the refresh speed

https://twitter.com/jspring86az/status/1186861404990558208?s=20

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

crepeface posted:

lol even the ambient light affects the refresh speed

https://twitter.com/jspring86az/status/1186861404990558208?s=20

lmaoooo

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/business/status/1187131192199602181

hmmmm. hmmmmmmmm :thunk:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

union busting ... as a service !

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

google wave goodbye to attempts at collective bargaining

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Agile Vector posted:

google wave goodbye to attempts at collective bargaining

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

dont be evil

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
by the pricking of my thumbs, something pebble this way comes.

Reuters posted:

Google owner Alphabet Inc has made an offer to acquire U.S. wearable device maker Fitbit Inc, as it eyes a slice of the crowded market for fitness trackers and smartwatches, people familiar with the matter said on Monday.

There is no certainty that the negotiations between Google and Fitbit will lead to any deal, the sources said, asking not to be identified because the matter is confidential. The exact price that Google has offered for Fitbit could not be learned.

Google and Fitbit declined to comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I for one can’t wait for google to over promote then kill fits bits