Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Experimental Skin posted:

I likely miss remembered the time taken. The wiki says-

Maximum Supercruise speed (when not affected by stellar bodies) is 2,001c and takes 57 min to reach.

Supercruised to another system. It would take 4h 22m 51s to travel 1 light year at maximum Supercruise speed.

Yeah, something like that, but there are systems less than 1 LY apart ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Thoatse posted:

Stared so long into the abyss he started defending velicovsky's 'science' and disappeared after getting dunked on for it

gently caress, talk about having ones brain broken

rip to a real one

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

colonelwest posted:

Yeah he lives near Austin and did an pretty tough interview with the devs last CitCon. He’s soured on SC pretty hard in the past few years and no longer contributes to crowdfunded games.

wow, I wasn't following this thread during that period...I missed out.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Nemo2342 posted:

Trip report:

Coworker 20 fps. @ 1440p and very high textures. welll. 20-25 inside a cave

Coworke: low textures i can hit 35 fps. and it doesn't look THAT bad.

He's now considering upgrading his SSD to improve performance.

Tell him to join rexshillas drop troopers for a real game play experience.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Exclusively Games: Star Citizen: Is Development Chaotic and Slow? Yes. Is it a Scam? No.

Excerpts:

quote:

Star Citizen is not a scam.

If it was a scam, it would be the most stupid scam in the history of scamming. It would be such a phenomenally bad scam, history books in thousands of years would still be talking about how bad a scam Star Citizen was. What kind of scam creates a corporate structure with multiple hundreds of employees that all have to be paid industry rates? What kind of scam burns literally hundreds of millions of dollars on rent, taxes, salaries and technology instead of frivolous yachts and private jets? Even if the intentions of Chris Roberts and his company was to scam Kickstarter backers and late backers alike, at this point, it might actually be more profitable to just finish the sodding game to get some return on investment from the scam.

quote:

Of course, it is important to remain critical of one’s self, and I’m no exception to that: I’m certainly emotionally compromised. Not because I spent a huge amount of money on the project and am desperately hoping to see a return of my investment; rather, it’s because I want the project to succeed to show the world that games of this scope have a chance to be made. Star Citizen’s ambitions are enormous, and come with a great risk of failure. The game’s ambitions are those of dreamers, and right now the gaming industry needs a few more of those. Or are we satisfied with the state of AAA gaming, with its annual franchise entries and formulaic approach to game design? We need risk-takers and bold projects, and I would cheerlead for any project that attempted something as huge as Star Citizen is currently attempting.

Scam accusations don’t help bettering Chris Roberts and his company. What might help though, is telling them to get their act together and up their development game. Because that’s what they REALLY need to do.

Disclosure: the author of this article is a Star Citizen backer who invested US$45 in the game in 2016. He will not invest any more than this.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Actually a well written article i think.

I think he is right, something called SC will come out of this. I mean, even if development stopped today, they could release something

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

I think he is right, something called SC will come out of this. I mean, even if development stopped today, they could release something

Like a miscarriage is not a baby, this something would not be a game.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

This video is so cringey

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Agony Aunt posted:

It's also true that it's a bad scam. That somehow works and suckers lots of people.
Buy more ships, stand with Sandi!

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Whenever I see Sandweed's avatar, I think of this picture:

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Kosumo posted:

Do you think that Sandi would act in just any old thing?

No, they would have paid her top dollar.

I'm sure she did it pro-bono for getting to help make her Husbands dreams come true.

Was it public at the time they did all the filming with Hamil et al that Sandi was married to Chris?

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

colonelwest posted:

Yeah the sum total of people who regularly follow this mess, including the cultists and the hundred or so goons laughing at them is in the low five figures.

It’s a subset of a small group of a niche far removed from mainstream gaming. Citizen “influencers” like Montoya with his sub 5000 view videos want to believe that SC is on the tips of gamer’s tongue as they wait for Chris to save the industry, but it’s been almost universally written off as a scam and then forgotten about. The 3.0 debacle killed off almost all of the mainstream interest.

yup this. Is a smaller and smaller group of single males who have the income to back it. That's why the jpeg prices get higher and higher. Only way to keep revenue streams level.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Very confused here. Encrypted Afro looks super progressive and pro-Bernie, while DeathsMessenger's feed is all Jordan Peterson, transphobia, Islamophobia, anti-Labour, videos supporting police brutality, etc.

Citizens are a land of contrasts!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Of course they know sunglasses in 2949. They will sell in-game sunglasses to reduce glare for 150$

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

:psyduck:

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Beexoffel posted:

Whenever I see Sandweed's avatar, I think of this picture:

Hi.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Haha, what the hell

This is space helmet with sun visor and sun shades from 1970

Edit: oh btw, sunglasses issued to Apollo astronauts

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 23, 2019

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The only way things in Star Citizen could be realistic is if we first assume that everyone in the future is a moron and that society has forgotten how to build most things in a sensible manner.
FTL travel is ubiquitous, but there's no anti-glare treatment on cockpit glass. Artificial gravity is standard fare, but Port Olisar still had giant spinning rings for some reason. Space combat is common, but surface based weaponry still has a range of a few kilometers.
To summarize: :itwaspoo:

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Absolute madmen.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Bofast posted:

if we first assume that everyone in the future is a moron
I mean... you will either meet some dumb-AI NPC or some backer cultist in-game, so...

Bofast posted:

society has forgotten how to build most things in a sensible manner
I think their in-game society might be directly inspired by their video game company

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

"CR and his brother always deliver good to memorable games"

Yeah I don't think anyone is saying Star Citizen isn't gonna be memorable. I will remember it fondly, just like I remember LEGO ADVENTURES: DRIVING THROUGH TOWN or whatever dumbass poo poo Erin made.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Bofast posted:

The only way things in Star Citizen could be realistic is if we first assume that everyone in the future is a moron and that society has forgotten how to build most things in a sensible manner.
FTL travel is ubiquitous, but there's no anti-glare treatment on cockpit glass. Artificial gravity is standard fare, but Port Olisar still had giant spinning rings for some reason. Space combat is common, but surface based weaponry still has a range of a few kilometers.
To summarize: :itwaspoo:

SC’s world and lore is all just a nonsensical amalgam of elements from famous sci-fi franchises, all stripped of their context and thrown into a blender with Chris’ famous WWII in space fantasy and fetish for fascism/militarism. None of it makes sense or is the least bit compelling.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

I guess there is no irony cat gif big enough for this

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

That reply is loving class. Lethality getting told it might not be the game for him.

Also, has he actually got dumber since becoming a skeptic?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Look out! They have a lawyer on the board of directors!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

That reply is loving class. Lethality getting told it might not be the game for him.

Also, has he actually got dumber since becoming a skeptic?

Lethality is not a skeptic.

And he has always been dumb as gently caress.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Star Citizen : 5 quarterly patch, including lawyer

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

haha christ these fuckers deserve everything they get

hopefully an Idris eh :wink:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Vivec?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Didn't realize they were adding Mark Hamill to Star Citizen but good to see the force is still strong with him in that universe.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dementropy posted:

If it was a scam, it would be the most stupid scam in the history of scamming. It would be such a phenomenally bad scam, history books in thousands of years would still be talking about how bad a scam Star Citizen was. What kind of scam creates a corporate structure with multiple hundreds of employees that all have to be paid industry rates? What kind of scam burns literally hundreds of millions of dollars on rent, taxes, salaries and technology instead of frivolous yachts and private jets? Even if the intentions of Chris Roberts and his company was to scam Kickstarter backers and late backers alike, at this point, it might actually be more profitable to just finish the sodding game to get some return on investment from the scam.

Fyre Festival was a scam. Enron was a scam. Theranos was a scam. Polly Peck was a scam.

Corporate structure - check
Employees - check
Rent - check
Taxes - check
Laptops - check

In fact, to be a successful scam you only have to not look like a scam. Turns out that people will just give you money on the basis of sounding right.

I agree that it might have started with the best of intentions, but after they flashed past fifteen million, all bets were off.

Of course, this basically just addresses malice rather than incompetence.

Edit: Note that Theranos has not yet been _proved_ a scam, and they're still talking about the machine that they would have built, but for all intents and purposes, the Federal government considers it a scam.

And someone should have a word with Gen. Mattis about it.

Hav fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 23, 2019

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Agony Aunt posted:

Look out! They have a lawyer on the board of directors!

I think they're up to three. That's almost a bastard of lawyers.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just checked :reddit: and now they have commandos scavenging trash in their space game simulator.

quote:

Just spent 2 more hours wandering a trash biome of Hurston. Actually not very fun. Would be nice if you had to cut something open to get the board.

If only they found a way to make scavenging trash more rewarding!

Pepenadores espaciales en el siglo XXX.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Just popping in to leave this here;

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/article/3r1YDnDtyO1CtNFbJX6RBJ/fallout-76-fallout-1st-announce

Troubled F2P Fallout '76 just announced a subscription package.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I mean it's CIG so of course it's par for the course, but it seems kind of odd for a company to host their own community gathering cocktail hour and make a profit off of it.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Hav posted:

Just popping in to leave this here;

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/article/3r1YDnDtyO1CtNFbJX6RBJ/fallout-76-fallout-1st-announce

Troubled F2P Fallout '76 just announced a subscription package.

A subscription for single player.

Clearly Star Citizer needs this, it will be the perfect solution to commandos feeling grief. No goons, no problems!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:toot: