Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Wow. Replay, a bit over halfway probably. January says, when Igwe and the lady from the power plant are back in my office: 'you've been in the simulation for three weeks, this is unprecedented' or something similar. But it was 'you've been in', not 'you were in'. Since I'm replaying it, I immediately smiled, thinking, "FORESHADOWING!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

otoh if I say "you've been in the store by the creek" that doesn't suggest that you're there now

In this context it sounds more like "according to these records, some of your simulations went on for over three weeks!"

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

On another replay and I was wrong to dismiss survival mode so readily… tbf it isn’t a huge game changer but you will find yourself burned / concussed / hemorrhaged often enough when fighting corrupted operators / telepaths / technopath-turned turrets. Burns in particular are quite common. Get injured for previously-unheard Tom Kenny lines!

I can see it getting really hairy on a no-typhon, no-stun gun run, which I plan for sometime soon. Right now I’m just doing no-stun and psychoshock still carries a lot of my water

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I still wish the final part of Mooncrash was you playing the hacker going through the moon base after crashing on it to escape to earth. But with like everything semi reset and with more information and lore that was there already.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

I still wish the final part of Mooncrash was you playing the hacker going through the moon base after crashing on it to escape to earth. But with like everything semi reset and with more information and lore that was there already.

That would have been super cool

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Welp, time to change the thread title.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Prey exists and is good tho, ss3 is a sizzle trailer

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

System Shock 3 is the fourth System Shock, title still works

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Just finished my first playthrough. What a fantastic game! Definitely going to replay soon and test out the typhon powers.

Is the DLC worth a look?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

The_Doctor posted:

Just finished my first playthrough. What a fantastic game! Definitely going to replay soon and test out the typhon powers.

Is the DLC worth a look?

The DLC is very cool and fun, but is a totally different style of game using the same core engine. Absolutely worth it, but it may not be for everyone since it's a roguelite and is such a different format from the main game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I loved the DLC, it's definitely worth a look

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Just finished Mooncrash after putting it off for far too long; gently caress, that was great. I wasn't sold on the idea of a roguelike experience, but in some ways it's even better than the base game. In particular, games like Prey have always suffered from the fact that most players will just load if they gently caress something up, and disabling saving is odious and bad. Disabling saving in a roguelike where the character is only going to be around for an hour or two anyway though... yeah. I also really appreciated the addition of traumas, and each character having distinct goals. Everything was set up in such a way that some of the powers which were less useful in Prey were more helpful this time around, or at least you appreciated them more without access to the stronger ones. And some of them, like Burrow, which I thought would be underwhelming, turned out to be fantastic.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I’m finally tackling Mooncrash. Is there a failure state here? Is there any reason to hoard the simulation credits, or to splurge on a bunch of neuromods? Can I manually reset the simulation when a character dies?

Edit: If it’s better to figure this out through trial and error for a better experience I’ll take that as an answer.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Like the core game, the DLC gives you the option of breaking it over your knee. You’ve ample opportunity to supercharge your characters and keep the threat level at 1 if you really want to. Hoarding points gives you an achievement

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Basic Chunnel posted:

Like the core game, the DLC gives you the option of breaking it over your knee. You’ve ample opportunity to supercharge your characters and keep the threat level at 1 if you really want to. Hoarding points gives you an achievement

I like that you can set the difficulty yourself by how much you purchase at the start. Do you want a full arsenal, or do you want to start with nothing?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

[plug]

Basic Chunnel posted:

Anyway, I've developed a system.

quote:

quote:
Chunnel's Marvelous Mooncrash Method 2020 Edition

The object of this Method is to generate self-imposed tactical restrictions in Prey's roguelite expansion, Mooncrash.

The way it works: You take a deck of cards, shuffle it and draw until you break 21. Once you've broken 21, look at your assembled hand. Impose the restrictions of the numbers you drew PLUS the suits you drew. If you have multiples, use the next restriction down. Or don't, nobody's keeping score. Whether you use the restrictions for each character or draw a new hand with each death is on you.

Suits:
Clubs- Cannot use the mule operator.
Spades- Cannot build delay objects
Diamonds- Cannot build neuromods
Hearts- Must use delay objects immediately upon acquiring them.

Cards:
Ace- Subsistence Mode (basic equipment only at start)
2- No Control / Evasion / Bullet Time powers.
3- Must use trauma healing objects immediately upon acquiring them (in other words, if you get hurt, build the thing or start looking).
4- Cannot use chips.
5- Can only pass barriers via EMP grenade, killing typhon, or typhon power.
6- Can only use control modules currently plugged into active systems (no scavenging / creating).
7- Moon Sharks are sacred to you and you cannot harm them.
8- Can only use ordinary (white) weapons.
9- Can only use guns against flying typhon out of melee range (does not apply to cystoid / tentacle nests, or to crossbolt).
10- Must use medkits and hypos immediately on acquring them.
Jack- Cannot buy or manufacture jetpacks.
Queen- Can only carry one stack of ammo (or 300x of battery / cell) and 2 of any grenade
King- Cannot use direct harm mind powers or bullet time (*jack / summoning / defensive powers ok)

If you draw an ace and a face card, reset the simulation.
[/plug]

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mike the TV posted:

I like that you can set the difficulty yourself by how much you purchase at the start. Do you want a full arsenal, or do you want to start with nothing?

Can you eventually do a full neuromod reset (wipe their skills)? That's where most of your power comes from, imo, especially when you know where the high value caches tend to spawn.

e:though probably more true of the psi characters

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Oct 25, 2019

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Mooncrash was a lot of fun. I’d really like to see another game in this franchise!!!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mooncrash is brilliant, i regret my initial skepticism. i don't necessarily think all immsims should follow its formula, but it solves some of the issues with the genre. there's urgency, a better difficulty curve, and the opportunity to use and master all the play styles without the commitment of a 20 hour campaign for each. bad for my nerves, though.

however, it's crashed multiple times (once every ~5hours on average), which is really annoying in a game without manual saves. sometimes it's not a big deal because it saves after load transitions, but today it crashed right as i was heading out of a sector. i'm on a ps4 pro.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, I got burned by that a couple of times on PC. Your assessment of the rest of it is spot on-I would never roll with so many Typhon powers.

funky not a junkie
Aug 5, 2011
So I recently beat this game after picking it up on a steam sale and not touching it for months. I went into it not knowing much, expecting to play a fairly straightforward FPS/RPG and I came out of it feeling like I just played one of the best games of this decade.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Welcome to the fold.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

It is great but the last hour or so with the operator horde is still such a lovely note to end an otherwise awesome game on

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

It is great but the last hour or so with the operator horde is still such a lovely note to end an otherwise awesome game on

Made me want to have infinite nightmare summons just so I could watch them all fight.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
yeah, the endgame would've been better if you had been given some way to shut off the operators, such as a level 4 hack at each dispenser or even uploading a virus from a central location

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Im pretty sure the dispensers shut down once you erase your tracker from the system in Deep Storage

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Get Machine Mind and turn them into your robot slave army

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

funky not a junkie posted:

So I recently beat this game after picking it up on a steam sale and not touching it for months. I went into it not knowing much, expecting to play a fairly straightforward FPS/RPG and I came out of it feeling like I just played one of the best games of this decade.

You did. This game is a phenomenal showcase of what good, driven developers can do with a meaningless IP.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

BigglesSWE posted:

You did. This game is a phenomenal showcase of what good, driven developers can do with a meaningless IP.

They didn’t have an IP when they made the game. They named this baby after it was a pipelined product with a clear design direction.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Given the obvious heritage, design, heck look at the the dang thread title, I'd bet they were planning on naming it Psychoshock before the publisher decided they couldn't let the super valuable culturally-relevant Prey IP decay. They kept it as a skill name instead.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And it's probably the case that if it had been Psychoshock it would've well outperformed what it did as Prey. Between forcing the Prey name on them and horribly mishandled marketing Bethesda hosed this game hard.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I'm not thrilled at Bethesda/Zenimax's handling of the game; but I guess my opinion boils down to "least of several evils." Of the large publishing houses, only Zenimax lets Arkane/id do their thing, really. Can you imagine EA, Activision, or Ubisoft allowing their substudios to release something like this?

But on the other hand if it turns out that Zenimax forced Colantonio out rather than him leaving on his own, than there is no forgiveness.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

:unsmith:

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
I might just have to replay prey for the fourth time. drat what a good game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The fireball spell in Arx Fatalis basically breaks the game, doesn't it?

Very interesting game, but not surprised it's almost been forgotten. Too many aspects just don't work right.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
You better be posting in the wrong drat thread

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Rinkles posted:

The fireball spell in Arx Fatalis basically breaks the game, doesn't it?

Very interesting game, but not surprised it's almost been forgotten. Too many aspects just don't work right.

I'm not sure I'd say it "breaks the game", but it's decently powerful for its cost, useful at both melee (since the splash damage doesn't hit you) and range, and learned pretty early on, making it a popular general-usage attack spell. I always had a fireball or two in my fastcast slots in case I got jumped by something, although it was by no means the only attack spell I used.

Also, Arx Fatalis is the real UUW3 and I will die on this hill.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm not sure I'd say it "breaks the game", but it's decently powerful for its cost, useful at both melee (since the splash damage doesn't hit you) and range, and learned pretty early on, making it a popular general-usage attack spell. I always had a fireball or two in my fastcast slots in case I got jumped by something, although it was by no means the only attack spell I used.

Also, Arx Fatalis is the real UUW3 and I will die on this hill.

it's just trivialized any combat the game's thrown at me since

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Yoshimo posted:

You better be posting in the wrong drat thread

settle down, Beavis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Rinkles posted:

it's just trivialized any combat the game's thrown at me since

Yes no maybe? If you didn't get many points in Intel you get one cast before you're dry. But yes, a large portion of Arx Fatalis' Jank is related to Magic being OP and less-magical playstyles being a self-inflicted challenge.