Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

The blonde lady in the middle of this picture is a goon's aunt, IIRC

E: tax

https://twitter.com/Dominic__Noble/status/1153877755785650177

pthighs fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

oxsnard posted:

The thing is that if and when the Trump crime family is indicted and sentenced, Bush style memory holing ain't gonna work. You'll see GOP senators getting primaried based on their support of Trump. This has the real possibility of nuking the Republicans for years to come

Does it.

less than a decade after Nixon resigned in disgrace, all his cronies took over the executive branch for 12 years

E: not saying don't put him in prison, definitely do that, but the system that put him in power in the first place will still exist

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I hardened that room for two years and he just... tweeted it out.

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
Crazy to think how quickly things have escalated over the past few weeks, yet everyone still remains immune.. America is done for and this unanswered escalation is the opening of the lawlessness floodgates

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shifty Pony posted:

A surprisingly strong indicator of how at risk a person is of dying is whether or not they can go from standing to sitting on the floor and back without using their hands.

There's a similar test for older folks where they go from standing to sitting in a chair and back. Again not being able to do it without using your hands is a very bad sign, as is being able to do it only once or twice.

Oof, off topic I guess but before I lost weight (380->240) I pretty much had to use my hands to get up so I guess I was probably inches from death at any given moment for most of my adult life.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Rigel posted:

What were you hoping to see today? DC cops putting them in handcuffs and frog-marching them off to jail? This looks like a bunch of sadbrain whining to me. The GOP is clearly panicked right now.
ITT we just post "They shook!!" and "Slay Kweeeen!" over and over again in a sickening parody of democracy until the sea swallows us.

The good news is that it won't take long.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

oxsnard posted:

The thing is that if and when the Trump crime family is indicted and sentenced, Bush style memory holing ain't gonna work. You'll see GOP senators getting primaried based on their support of Trump. This has the real possibility of nuking the Republicans for years to come

No Republican is getting successfully primaried for supporting Trump. There are likely going to be incumbents losing in the general for supporting him, but the motivated primary voting Republicans are extremely in Trump's camp.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Dog Friday posted:

Crazy to think how quickly things have escalated over the past few weeks, yet everyone still remains immune.. America is done for and this unanswered escalation is the opening of the lawlessness floodgates

No one being prosecuted is kinda what happens the AG is a co-conspirator

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I feel like the strategy here is to just commit a giant avalanche of crimes, misdemeanors, and rules violations, on the theory that House Dems only have so many hours in the day to try and prosecute blatant corruption. If they have to spend all their time censuring a bunch of knuckleheads who violated SCIF rules, they can't work on impeachment, right?

right?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

1glitch0 posted:

Exactly. It's still "Nothing Matters". When a few dozen republican reps can just storm into the closed door, secure room and end testimony in the impeachment inquiry while eating pizza I don't know how "Nothing Matters" doesn't apply. Like, what now? They will do this from now on. Maybe Chinese food tomorrow. Maybe the republicans will tie hot air balloons to the people coming to testify and we just see them float away into the atmosphere and go "Welp. But at least look how shook the republicans are! The Great Mattering is here!!!"

Maybe something will matter at some point, but we're months past the Great Republican Cop Mueller collapsing on himself like a dying star, and after being dragging kicking and screaming to an impeachment inquiry the republicans are stopping the proceedings by walking in and eating pizza. Sorry if I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel here.

You mean the resolution of a parliamentary violation is being done with dumb parliamentary rules?

oh dio mio

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/juliaioffe/status/1187058390721351684

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Nah a HEMA person will tell you swords were actually pretty light, not heavy

I feel like I'm simultaneously learning and exposing to the world that I have weak wrists.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Flip Yr Wig posted:

No Republican is getting successfully primaried for supporting Trump. There are likely going to be incumbents losing in the general for supporting him, but the motivated primary voting Republicans are extremely in Trump's camp.

I dunno, lots of Republicans distanced themselves from Bush. And Bush, like Nixon, had actual deep state ties. I think you won't be able to find many Republicans who will claim to have supported Trump 5 years from now

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Rigel posted:

What were you hoping to see today? DC cops putting them in handcuffs and frog-marching them off to jail? This looks like a bunch of sadbrain whining to me. The GOP is clearly panicked right now.

I was hoping to see that testimony was given. Instead I saw it disrupted and ended until further notice. They can do this forever. Why not? There seem to be no consequences.

Meridian posted:

You're complaining about people in this thread calling Dems a waste when they're letting Republicans throw a loving pizza party in the middle of what was supposed to be a closed hearing.

Yeah, either they can do something and they won't, or they can't do anything. Either way it's not great. This worked and they'll keep doing it.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Tibalt posted:

Lol there is at least 10 Republican Senators wondering if they'll even be punished in the 2024 election for coming out against this poo poo. I mean, considering how fast Bush was memory-holed after he stopped being in the news all the time...

Edit: It's really hard to judge how stunts like these are going over, but the general consensus seems to be forming around "This is a stupid waste of time" so I don't think there will be a repeat of it.

Most of the Bush presidency happened before the age of Twitter. No one is going to be able to forget anything, because the moment you do and it becomes relevant, some random person on the internet is going to dig up a trove of tweets to remind everyone what you said/did.

There is not going to be an after-Trump let-off for anyone no matter how much Maggie Haberman might be interested in sweeping 2015-2020/2024 under the rug to maintain her access.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1187079137539903493

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1187078514375184384

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Flesh Forge posted:

"It's all cheese pizza"

that's about right

THIS is the Bad Place!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/1187079724465557505

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

1glitch0 posted:

I was hoping to see that testimony was given. Instead I saw it disrupted and ended until further notice. They can do this forever. Why not? There seem to be no consequences.

Yeah, either they can do something and they won't, or they can't do anything. Either way it's not great. This worked and they'll keep doing it.

It isn't even three in the afternoon yet chicken little.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Who has the balls to eat Scalise's pizza?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Maybe if they manage to set a precedent that nothing you do in Congress is a crime someone will do some non-crimes to them. Like with a stick or maybe a bust of Abe Lincoln.

That'd be sweet.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Dog Friday posted:

calm down there mr. storm clouds

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

1glitch0 posted:

They are not going to stop it indefinitely. A week from now, when this testimony will have been given and we're proceeding with a public impeachment inquiry, how will you "nothing matters" then?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

RandomBlue posted:

Who has the balls to eat Scalise's pizza?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

"If a stupid disruptive stunt works once, it'll work again forever"

"OH NO THE PRINCIPAL SUSPENDED US FOR PROTESTING TURKEY TUESDAYS BEING MOVED TO THURSDAY AGAIN!"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/VanityFair/status/1186810689018445824

quote:

It's sad that the country has to listen to this idiot... this loving racist idiot... talk about lynching and make himself the victim of it, when we know what real lynching is like.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 23, 2019

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Jarmak posted:

It isn't even three in the afternoon yet chicken little.

So it's about quittin' time for congress for the day.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/RepAlexMooney/status/1187063885372841989

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsdzKnJNAC8

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Can any tech goons explain specifically what the issue is around making a call or a recording inside the room? Like, does it compromise the room, or is it just real bad optics since the room is designed to keep information in?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

So this has to be like actually illegal right?

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

OAquinas posted:

It's ok. Laura Loomer is outraising a dem rep in Florida for her district. So soon Gaetz will have backup!
https://www.theepochtimes.com/florida-congressional-candidate-laura-loomer-outraises-incumbent-lois-frankel-in-third-quarter_3120754.html

As for the human scum teeing off, it's just trump wanting the GOP to respect the notion of having one leader, one party, one people. NBD.

Lois Frankel is very popular and her district is very blue. I live in her district.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Slowpoke! posted:

Can any tech goons explain specifically what the issue is around making a call or a recording inside the room? Like, does it compromise the room, or is it just real bad optics since the room is designed to keep information in?

You know how you wouldn't want a hostile government to plant a bug in the room? A non-secured cell phone is, essentially, a bug for a hostile government.

As to video recording in the room, it could reveal security measures that would help a foreign government try to breach the security of the room.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

So it's about quittin' time for congress for the day.

They have been holding hearings until 9 and 10pm some days. Can idiots please stop declaring nothing matters every time something doesn't INSTANTLY happen? The government doesn't work that way, and never has.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/sambrodey/status/1187081870967787526

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1187081311103672321

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mango sentinel posted:

So this has to be like actually illegal right?

he called from a secure line in the room, according to the recording.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Slowpoke! posted:

Just having audio from inside a scif can give people with technical knowledge some semblance of how the room is laid out/oriented from what I remember, though it needs to be from more than one audio source

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1187080935373713408

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
i'm starting to suspect that donald trump is not very smart

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Mahoning posted:

They have been holding hearings until 9 and 10pm some days. Can idiots please stop declaring nothing matters every time something doesn't INSTANTLY happen? The government doesn't work that way, and never has.

Trust the Plan. Q.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Slowpoke! posted:

It's a room that is specifically for discussing incredibly sensitive and/or classified information. It is hardened against surveillance and swept to ensure there are no monitoring devices. It is essentially an information clean room and bringing in phones is explicitly a violation and national security risk.

Actively broadcasting from an SCIF is unconscionable.