Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

we should just do a national goodbye lenin and tell the olds we've left and just carry on as normal tbh

E: Doggo Tax

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Oct 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

HJB posted:

In light of yesterday's events... yeah.

I think it's quite likely the dead folks aren't Bulgarian. There's no reason to hide, they're in the EU. I would guess they're refugees from the middle east, not that it's any less awful.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Surprise T Rex posted:

I read this as "Atari 2600 mic" and got confused as to why there was one supplied in the era before online gaming, and even more confused as to how the mic quality could possibly have been that good for a game system accessory. Maybe I should have had an earlier night yesterday?

Maybe you're thinking of the surprisingly high-quality for its era ZX82 mic - the one people had to beep and whistle into to program Spectrum cassettes?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

I think it's quite likely the dead folks aren't Bulgarian. There's no reason to hide, they're in the EU. I would guess they're refugees from the middle east, not that it's any less awful.

Turned out they were actually Chinese. From Xinjiang, maybe? Of course, the rest of China also has multiple reasons you might want to flee it.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Necrothatcher posted:

The Famicom (NES equivalent in Japan) had a mic built into the controller. In the original Zelda you could take out enemies with big ears by yelling at them.

Or that stupid Takeshi no Chosenjo game that required you to sing Karaoke into the mic for hours to progress.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

It's highly possible that the traffickers were though. Or at least were operating from Bulgaria.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Lobbying is corruption?

Wow weird

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Speaking of corrupt lobbying, here's a bit of USpol that is probably soon to be relevant to UKpol. It's also five minutes of AOC ripping into Zuckerberg live, if you're into that (who isn't?).

https://twitter.com/erickfernandez/status/1187096170050523144?s=21

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

tritsch posted:

(late catchup)...I used to go to WgW a bit, I heard it's all fractioned off a bit these days with a bunch in-fighting? Goth drama, who knew.

Can't say it could ever be the same without the 80's disco on the Sunday night in that wonderfully dreadful night club venue. *whistles nelly the elephant*

There's different markets with the steampunk people usually being off on their own thing, but it's not particularly fractioned. The only thing is everyone started bringing weapons so the cops told people to stop, which is fair enough, I don't really want a bunch of people running around with guns and swords.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

The press literally think that quoting anonymous Labour sources for damaging quotes is somehow balancing out when they quote Cummings anonymously:

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1187297112263929857?s=20

It's bad enough that Tom Watson gets whatever he says regurgitated to the world with zero scrutiny, but it's even worse that people on the Labour left then take those quotes uncritically. Stop accepting bullshit.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Oh dear me posted:

drat, that was 92? And falling over on a beach was 83. So actually I had forgotten what he was doing in 1987, the year the left vanished, but Wikipedia tells me it was gutting the ability of the left to influence Labour policy. It all makes sense now.

Nah, the fall at the beach was 87, Foot was leader in 83

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Imagine if John Smith hadn't died

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The UK: not quite as poo poo as we thought

OK, next question would be how to help developing countries.
Reparations and significant interest free investment? Nah it'd be all "the best help we can give them is to take back control of their countries just like in the good old days".
Otherwise, the other takeaway from this is that if developing countries improve then there's less reason for them foreigners to come to our country (not really a bad thing in consideration of reducing global inequality and preventing excessive centralisation but the xenophobia part is a bit uh problematic)

chestnut santabag fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Oct 24, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

forkboy84 posted:

Nah, the fall at the beach was 87, Foot was leader in 83

It was 1983. Foot and Kinnock were both leader in 83. Kinnock took over in October 83.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

chestnut santabag posted:

OK, next question would be how to help developing countries.
Reparations and significant interest free investment? Nah it'd be all "the best help we can give them is to take back control of their countries just like in the good old days".
Fire everyone at the World Bank, IMF, and WTO. Debt jubilees on all debt. Treat the African Union as a grown up set of countries rather than a set of problems to be solved. Stop assassinating African leftists. Ski bags for MI6 and the CIA.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

From the FT this morning:

quote:

FT investigation: The darker side of a British tech baron

There are two sides to Lawrence Jones, MBE, one of Britain’s wealthiest technology entrepreneurs with an estimated £700m fortune.

The first is the self-made man, music lover and generous philanthropist who mixes in high society and holidays with business magnate and Virgin founder Richard Branson at his properties on Necker Island in the Caribbean and in the Swiss Alps.

Last year, Mr Jones and his wife Gail attended Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s wedding at Windsor Castle. This month, the 51-year-old Welsh-born father of four was photographed arm-in-arm with prime minister Boris Johnson at the Conservative party conference in Manchester.

A powerful figure in the north of England, Mr Jones recently broke into the ranks of the UK’s 250 richest individuals. His cloud computing company UKFast was selected this year as one of Britain’s top 10 places to work in the Sunday Times employer rankings.

Dubbed the “cloud computing king”, Mr Jones has rubbed shoulders with political heavyweights from Manchester mayor Andy Burnham to Liberal Democrat leader Jo Swinson. He has donated £100,000 to the Conservative party since 2017, and was last year appointed an ambassador to the High Sheriff of Greater Manchester.

The software services provider, which employs 400 people, is expected to open a new school soon, which will focus on digital skills alongside the Dean Trust, an educational charity. The two organisations were granted government permission in 2017 to open the school and are looking for a suitable site.

But there is a darker side to Mr Jones, whose Manchester-based company counts the National Health Service and the Ministry of Defence among its customers. Allegations about his conduct emerged during an FT investigation that involved interviews with more than 30 former employees.

It is alleged that Mr Jones sexually assaulted two women in his employment in the past decade and he has been accused of wide-ranging misconduct in the workplace.

[...]

Landing a job at UKFast often seemed like a dream come true, especially to those in their late teens and early twenties who were recruited directly by the entrepreneur in Manchester. One former employee said getting a job working for the millionaire initially felt like “winning the lottery”. Another viewed it as the “opportunity of a lifetime”.

The reality of working with Mr Jones quickly became apparent, according to former employees who described routine verbal abuse and sexually inappropriate behaviour in his daily interactions with staff at his company’s headquarters located at the end of Manchester’s Princess Parkway.

One woman, who was 20 when she began working for UKFast, said she was taken to a sex shop by Mr Jones just days after starting her new role as his PA, where he thrust a dildo into her face. She added that later that day he purchased a sex swing and lingerie and asked her to gift wrap the items back at the office.

The woman, who worked for just two weeks at UKFast, remains horrified by the experience. “In what world do you take a young girl to a sex shop three days after hiring her?” she said.

Referring to himself as ‘Loz’ or ‘LJ’ in the office, Mr Jones commonly sat in meetings or at social events with female employees on his lap, or walked around the office bare-chested, multiple sources said.

It is claimed the entrepreneur would openly discuss with junior employees intimate details about his sex life and quiz them about their own relationships.

Another woman said she was once called into his boardroom when he was having his hair cut while topless. She said Mr Jones put his fingers on his nipples and asked her: “Does this make you feel awkward?”

A third woman described how he knocked a glass of water into her lap and asked: “Am I making you wet?”

[...]

At the 2016 Christmas party, bowls were dotted around the venue filled with Le Farinet-branded condoms. A WhatsApp conversation, reviewed by the FT, between a group of employees shortly after the party showed their disgust, with one complaining that it felt like working in a “brothel”.

Public humiliations and foul-mouthed tirades by Mr Jones were common. He was often verbally abusive in meetings, across the open-plan office and in emails, according to more than a dozen former employees.

Many of those interviewed said they witnessed colleagues being sacked on a whim. “There was this atmosphere of fear and keeping your head down and being a yes-man because anything else would get you fired,” said one former communications assistant.

His overt displays of physical affection towards favourite employees — typically the young women hired to work as his PAs, receptionists or in marketing roles — allegedly often involved tickling, hugging, stroking women around the waist, or patting them on the bottom.

[...]

Several former employees said they felt compelled to come forward about the businessman’s behaviour given his growing wealth and influence, particularly in Britain’s educational sector.

His company claims to have developed partnerships with more than 60 schools and colleges and to have supported 60,000 young people across Greater Manchester.

Can't wait to put more educational institutions in the private hands of people like this. The model of the future ...

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Guavanaut posted:

Fire everyone at the World Bank, IMF, and WTO. Debt jubilees on all debt. Treat the African Union as a grown up set of countries rather than a set of problems to be solved. Stop assassinating African leftists. Ski bags for MI6 and the CIA.

Force the mega rich to end world poverty. (the biggest pipe dream ever i know)

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

Force Eat the mega rich to end world poverty. (the only way we will have a future)

ftfy

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

pitch a fitness posted:

This is largely off topic but thanks to whoever recommended the ATR2100 mic when you all were starting up the podcasting. I'm recording some stuff for work and having 0 sound issues even while a building across the street is being demolished.

Are you using via USB, or Analogue and a seperate interface?

I've been looking to upgrade from a portable recorder for a while.

Cheers

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i think if the election cold feet stuff from the PLP is true its pretty short sighted, its true that if corbyn ended up PM via minority or majority then itd galvanise the left membership and cement their control of the party, but i think realistically that is already the case.
Even with a horribly demoralising defeat the labour centrists simply dont have the numbers to outvote us.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I had to sign for a letter this morning and the only thing in the envelope was a £25 google play gift card. I have absolutely no idea where it's come from, the address is a printed sticker with no name on it and the only thing that stands out is that the address says "Newcastle Upon Tyne, Durham" for some reason. I am genuinely baffled and can't think of any reason why someone would send this completely anonymously :confuoot:

Has anyone seen any promotions or things you can sign up for that give a google play voucher? The only thing I can even guess at is that I renewed my contract with Vodafone a week or two ago but I don't remember them saying anything about giving me a reward for that and if it was them the address would have been right at least.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Communist Thoughts posted:

i think if the election cold feet stuff from the PLP is true its pretty short sighted, its true that if corbyn ended up PM via minority or majority then itd galvanise the left membership and cement their control of the party, but i think realistically that is already the case.
Even with a horribly demoralising defeat the labour centrists simply dont have the numbers to outvote us.

Yeah this is all about them leaking like a loving sieve because they're afraid of their gigs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Junior G-man posted:

Can't wait to put more educational institutions in the private hands of people like this. The model of the future ...
Holidays with business magnate and Virgin founder Richard Branson at his properties on Noncer Island in the Caribbean.

Bowls of condoms at parties is an interesting one, because we should really be doing all we can to normalize them as public health devices rather than inherently private sexual things, and if South Africans can get over their moral hangups and have prophylactics prominently displayed at events (including work and formal events and where the children are present) as part of public health, then you can too, before y'all die of antibiotic resistant supersyphilis. Also they keep the Pope away.

But in the overall pattern dude just sounds like a gross harasser who is also a public health problem.

Pilchenstein posted:

I had to sign for a letter this morning and the only thing in the envelope was a £25 google play gift card. I have absolutely no idea where it's come from, the address is a printed sticker with no name on it and the only thing that stands out is that the address says "Newcastle Upon Tyne, Durham" for some reason. I am genuinely baffled and can't think of any reason why someone would send this completely anonymously :confuoot:

Has anyone seen any promotions or things you can sign up for that give a google play voucher? The only thing I can even guess at is that I renewed my contract with Vodafone a week or two ago but I don't remember them saying anything about giving me a reward for that and if it was them the address would have been right at least.
Drug dealers and insurance scammers often take payment by anonymous mailed gift cards. Are any of your neighbours up to that?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Zalakwe posted:

"A bit better than Belgium" is probably the nicest thing you could possibly say about the UK at the moment.

Hey, just like our respective empires:v:

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Oh god I laughed at a tory is this how lib Dem mind starts?

https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/1187313091815628805

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Pilchenstein posted:

Not signed up for your Over 50s plan lately have you? Parky and his famous Pen or whichever one is doling out gift cards :D

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Anyone going to the Labour rally in Bristol later on? Corbs is supposed to be speaking there.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

So are we getting a vote on the Queen's Peach today or what?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Guavanaut posted:

Drug dealers and insurance scammers often take payment by anonymous mailed gift cards. Are any of your neighbours up to that?
I don't know, I'm not a cop :v:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Not signed up for your Over 50s plan lately have you? Parky and his famous Pen or whichever one is doling out gift cards :D
Sadly I'm too young to qualify for that shite even if I was gullible enough lol

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Good overview of the possible ways to an early election:

quote:

three ways in which an election could be called.

1. Election under the Fixed-term Parliaments Act
The first possibility is that the Commons votes for an immediate election under the terms of the Fixed-term Parliaments Act.

This requires two-thirds of MPs — 435 out of 650 — to vote in favour. However, if this is to happen, three conditions would probably have to be met.

First, Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn would have to decide to support the Conservatives to meet the two-thirds threshold. Even then, dozens of Labour MPs who fear losing their seats in an early election might defy the party whip.

Second, Labour will only give its backing if there is clear agreement between Britain and the EU to extend the UK’s membership of the bloc to January 31. This would guarantee that there could not be a no-deal Brexit until the election was well out of the way.

Third, the Commons would have to vote on a motion under the Fixed-term Parliaments Act by November 5 at the latest for an election be held on December 12.

“This is because parliament would need to be dissolved by November 7 in order to meet another law which states that a minimum of 25 working days are needed for campaigning in any general election,” said Maddy Thimont-Jack, a researcher at the Institute for Government, a think-tank.

2. Vote of no confidence
The second possibility allowed under the Fixed-term Parliaments Act is a vote of no confidence in Mr Johnson’s government. This would need a simple majority of MPs to be passed.

If Labour were opposed to an early election, Mr Johnson could resort to the bizarre approach of passing a vote of no confidence in his own government, securing the support of the Scottish National Party and Liberal Democrats, who want a poll.

However, this route is close to being eliminated if Mr Johnson wants an election on or before December 12.

This is because a successful vote of no confidence must be followed by a two-week period that allows parliament to explore whether another party leader or senior MP can form a majority government.

“Unless you pass the vote on Thursday, it’s impossible to meet the 25 days campaigning rule for a December 12 election,” said Ms Thimont-Jack.

3. A one-line bill
The third possibility is that Mr Johnson bypasses the Fixed-term Parliaments Act and legislates for an election through for a one-line act of parliament.

This could state that parliament had decreed that an election will take place on December 12, and would need to be approved by a simple majority of MPs.

This procedure has two problems. First, Labour could try and amend the legislation.

“A one-line bill can be amended by opposition MPs in ways the government might not like,” said Jill Rutter of UK in a Changing Europe, a think-tank. “MPs have suggested widening the franchise to 16-year-olds, and they could change the date of the poll if they wanted.”

Second, time is almost up for Mr Johnson to go down this route if he wants a December 12 poll.

A one-line bill would probably have to be introduced at the start of next week to ensure it goes through all its legislative stages in the Commons and House of Lords in time.

“The act would have to be on the statute book before November 7 to meet the need for dissolution [of parliament] on that day,” said Ms Thimont-Jack.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

someone mentioned mark fisher earlier and one thing i've been thinking about lately is how after the brief rush of vindication when you call something right - this time it was extinction rebellion being an op - afterwards, it's just depressing to think there doesn't seem to be any escape from it. everything gets co opted and shaped towards the aims of capital.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Scikar posted:

The press literally think that quoting anonymous Labour sources for damaging quotes is somehow balancing out when they quote Cummings anonymously:

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1187297112263929857?s=20

It's bad enough that Tom Watson gets whatever he says regurgitated to the world with zero scrutiny, but it's even worse that people on the Labour left then take those quotes uncritically. Stop accepting bullshit.

I just configured the Chrome Word Replacer plugin to change all instances of "A Labour source" to "Tom Watson". Makes things easier.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Guavanaut posted:

It's highly possible that the traffickers were though. Or at least were operating from Bulgaria.

people smuggling networks by definition don't operate in one country, they have partners all over the world feeding people along the pipeline

edit: i mean yeah you could investigate which part of the network operated in bulgaria but that's a tiny slice of the organization. they will be easily replaced even if you identify and arrest them (which 9 times out of 10 you won't)

gh0stpinballa fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Oct 24, 2019

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Necrothatcher posted:

I just configured the Chrome Word Replacer plugin to change all instances of "A Labour source" to "Tom Watson". Makes things easier.

That's silly. Jess Phillips or Wes Streeting will feel left out.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
has anyone mentioned boris trying to kill the FTPA as part of getting an election?f

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1187326799925129218

Erm, what the gently caress

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just wanna see how ridiculous these claims can get before the press start thinking 'hmmm maybe it isn't a good idea to just regurgitate this person's statements every time'

"BREAKING only 8 Labour members would vote for a GE. also, Jeremy Corbyn smells like wee and there's a HIDDEN SECTION in the Labour manifesto setting aside 1 billion pounds for Turbo Gulags'

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Necrothatcher posted:

T.Watson

gh0stpinballa posted:

people smuggling networks by definition don't operate in one country, they have partners all over the world feeding people along the pipeline
You still need a base where you've got some authorities bent and can launder money. Like with the whole situation in the Mediterranean, there's scouts in sub-Saharan Africa and receivers in Italy and Greece, but the hub is the shell that we liberated Libya as because it's fairly easy to subvert local government authority.

They're Chinese nationals, so China has to get those kidneys somehow show an effort to investigate.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

T.Watson

You still need a base where you've got some authorities bent and can launder money. Like with the whole situation in the Mediterranean, there's scouts in sub-Saharan Africa and receivers in Italy and Greece, but the hub is the shell that we liberated Libya as because it's fairly easy to subvert local government authority.

They're Chinese nationals, so China has to get those kidneys somehow show an effort to investigate.

Oh poo poo I misread "where" as "were", thought it said the 39 dead were embassy staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pistol_Pete posted:

Anyone going to the Labour rally in Bristol later on? Corbs is supposed to be speaking there.

Yup. You're way to late to get on the list though, they filled up yesterday. There's an email list you can get on if you're very optimistic though.