Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

twoday posted:

shout out to all the forensics experts out there who are diligently working to create reconstructions of ancient people that don't look like they could possibly be accurate

Julius Caesar:

I saw this last night for the first time and am still fuckin laffin

I dreamt about it overnight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

we're gonna find the gallic shovel he ran into while chasing vercingetorix around a corner

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Tree Bucket posted:

It's interesting; this one lacks the lines around the mouth that appear in the other busts (I'm sure there's a proper name for them.) Are they certain this is a Caesar portrait?

looks like they dropped their clay model on the ground face down and just went with it anyway

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Tree Bucket posted:

It's interesting; this one lacks the lines around the mouth that appear in the other busts (I'm sure there's a proper name for them.) Are they certain this is a Caesar portrait?

It says in Dutch: Reminiscent of other busts of Caesar (but most likely not)

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://youtu.be/_-5RZBKBl_A

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

DrPop posted:

I saw this last night for the first time and am still fuckin laffin

I dreamt about it overnight

Prime avatar material, gotta say

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Agean90 posted:

that neckbeard is luscious

He was out buying new anime wall scrolls while Rome burned.

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/profgalloway/status/1187446753596968960?s=20

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

He also believes Augustus Caesar ushered in an era of prosperity, good governence and stability in the empire, so he's kind of an idiot.

And he looks like Nero.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

KiteAuraan posted:

He also believes Augustus Caesar ushered in an era of prosperity, good governence and stability in the empire, so he's kind of an idiot.

And he looks like Nero.

missing the neckbeard imo

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

KiteAuraan posted:

And he looks like Nero.

Was stable as long as he was alive I guess.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Was stable as long as he was alive I guess.

he killed or owned everyone else and launched histories biggest propaganda campaign at that time

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

he killed or owned everyone else and launched histories biggest propaganda campaign at that time

I know I'm not agreeing with the zuckman

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Gringostar posted:

missing the neckbeard imo

Got him mixed up with his uncle, Caligula. There is a statue of him from Pompeii that is totally Zucc.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Tree Bucket posted:

No, nobody's really certain of any of the bust reputed to represent Julius Caesar. That one with the weirdly shaped head is the most likely contemporary depiction but even that's disputed.

Everyone post the bust of your favorite emperor:

Elagabalus: the Rome's queerest Emperor. Murdered for being too much of a fuckboi

Vitellius. Fat, tried to quit being emperor, beheaded and thrown into Tiber by Vespasian

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

flavians ftw. shout out to my boy martial. epigrams were tight. the original dozens

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

can't believe it took one post for someone to gently caress up "post the bust of"

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Squalid posted:

Elagabalus: the Rome's queerest Emperor. Murdered for being too much of a fuckboi

my man out here looking like a create a character from an anime game

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Squalid posted:

No, nobody's really certain of any of the bust reputed to represent Julius Caesar. That one with the weirdly shaped head is the most likely contemporary depiction but even that's disputed.

Everyone post the bust of your favorite emperor:

I fought a dude in a trailer park that looked exactly like this.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Elagabalus was pretty fabulous but if he’s already been posted I would have to go with Maximinus Thrax, who was supposedly 8’6”

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

mycomancy posted:

That's the thing about Roman sculpture, you feel like you know these people and what their favourite movie book and food would be. It's amazing.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ghostlight posted:

nasolabial folds, bane of incels

...do I want to know why this is?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

That's the thing about Roman sculpture, you feel like you know these people and what their favourite movie book and food would be. It's amazing.

Yeah the unique thing about roman sculpture is was intended to be a realist depiction of the subject including the physical flaws.

Greek sculpture by contrast was more focused on creating a idealized version of humanity.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

mycomancy posted:

lol getting serious fas vibes from your boy

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Also the bust of Elagabalus (named himself this after a Syrian sun god called Heliogabalus, which he tried to make the chief deity of Rome, which is really why he was murdered probably) was made after the empire had started to buckle under civil wars, inflation, and stronger enemies on the borders. The art in this period starts to make the transition to the more simplified and stylized forms of late antiquity.

twoday
May 4, 2005

This is a cool channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XdPodNwSGU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I've been trying to fall asleep listening to that channel recently, but the videos are too short for that :(

twoday
May 4, 2005

Make a playlist with a bunch in a row?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

God I love the guy's direction:

"There's a sea, and west of it there's a city. Go past it, turn left and there's another sea and more cities"

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
has anyone figured out how to make Greek fire yet?

twoday
May 4, 2005

yes, the greeks

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

twoday posted:

yes, the greeks

I thought it was called Greek fire because it was used against the Greeks

twoday
May 4, 2005

ikanreed posted:

I thought it was called Greek fire because it was used against the Greeks

no

quote:

In naval warfare, the Eastern Roman Emperor Anastasius I (r. 491–518) is recorded by chronicler John Malalas to have been advised by a philosopher from Athens called Proclus to use sulfur to burn the ships of Vitalianus. Greek fire proper, however, was developed in c. 672 and is ascribed by the chronicler Theophanes to Kallinikos (Latinized Callinicus), an architect from Heliopolis in the former province of Phoenice, by then overrun by the Muslim conquests:

"At that time Kallinikos, an artificer from Heliopolis, fled to the Romans. He had devised a sea fire which ignited the Arab ships and burned them with all hands. Thus it was that the Romans returned with victory and discovered the sea fire."

twoday has issued a correction as of 01:49 on Oct 26, 2019

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

twoday posted:

yes, the greeks

oh please they can’t even make a balanced budget

twoday
May 4, 2005

Siege Weapons invented by Archimedes of Syracuse:

Claw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1YrueoGlbE&t=4s

quote:

The Claw (Ancient Greek: Ἁρπάγη, romanized: harpágē, lit. 'snatcher') of Archimedes (also known as the "iron hand") was an ancient weapon devised by Archimedes to defend the seaward portion of Syracuse's city wall against amphibious assault. Although its exact nature is unclear, the accounts of ancient historians seem to describe it as a sort of crane equipped with a grappling hook that was able to lift an attacking ship partly out of the water, then either cause the ship to capsize or suddenly drop it. It was dropped onto enemy ships, which would then swing itself and destroy the ship.

These machines featured prominently during the Second Punic War in 214 BC, when the Roman Republic attacked Syracuse with a fleet of 60 quinqueremes under Marcus Claudius Marcellus. When the Roman fleet approached the city walls under cover of darkness, the machines were deployed, sinking many ships and throwing the attack into confusion. Historians such as Livy attributed heavy Roman losses to these machines, together with catapults also devised by Archimedes.

Polybius (c. 200-118 BC), Universal History, Book VIII.6:

Other machines invented by Archimedes were directed against the assault parties as they advanced under the shelter of screens which protected them against the missiles shot through the walls. Against these attackers the machines could discharge stones heavy enough to drive back the marines from the bows of the ships; at the same time a grappling-iron attached to a chain would be let down, and with this the man controlling the beam would clutch at the ship. As soon as the prow was securely gripped, the lever of the machine inside the wall would be pressed down. When the operator had lifted up the ship's prow in this way and made her stand on her stern, he made fast the lower parts of the machine, so that they would not move, and finally by means of a rope and pulley suddenly slackened the grappling-iron and the chain. The result was that some of the vessels heeled over and fell on the sides, and others capsized, while the majority when their bows were let fall from a height plunged under water and filled, and thus threw all into confusion.

Livy (59 BC-AD 17), History of Rome from its Foundation, Book XXIV.34:

Some of the enemy ships came close in-shore, too close for the artillery to touch them; and these he dealt with by using a swing-beam and grapnel. The method was this: the swing-beam projected over the wall and an iron grapnel was attached to it on a heavy chain; the grapnel was lowered on to a vessel's bows, and the beam was then swung up, the other arm being brought to the ground by the shifting of a leaden weight; the result was to stand the ship, so to speak, on her tail, bows in air. Then the whole contraption was suddenly let go, and the ship, falling smash as it were from the wall into the water (to the great alarm of the crew), was more or less swamped even if it happened to come down on an even keel.

Plutarch (AD 45-120), Parallel Lives: Marcellus
At the same time huge beams were run out from the walls so as to project over the Roman ships: some of them were then sunk by great weights dropped from above, while others were seized at the bows by iron claws or by beaks like those of cranes, hauled into the air by means of counterweights until they stood upright upon their sterns, and then allowed to plunge to the bottom, or else they were spun round by means of windlasses situated inside the city and dashed against the steep cliffs and rocks which jutted out under the walls, with great loss of life to the crews. Often there would be seen the terrifying spectacle of a ship being lifted clean out of the water into the air and whirled about as it hung there, until every man had been shaken out of the hull and thrown in different direction, after which it would be dashed down empty upon the walls.

Heat Beam:

quote:

Lucian (Hippias, or The Bath):
The former [Archimedes] burned the ships of the enemy by means of his science.

Galen (De Temperamentis 3.2.:

In some such way, I think, Archimedes too is said to have set on fire the enemy’s triremes by means of pyreia. (The meaning of the Greek word pyreia (πυρεία) is not clear.)

The earliest source that unequivocally states that Archimedes employed burning mirrors was written by Anthemius of Tralles (Greek, c. AD 500) some 700 years after the fact. In his treatise entitled On Burning-Glasses he mentions offhandedly that Archimedes may have used a parabolic mirror to focus the sun’s rays on the invading Roman ships. He also gives a description of what Archimedes’ burning mirrors might have looked like, but, as he states, his description is strictly his own creation.

John Tzetzes , Book of Histories, Book II, Lines 118-128

When Marcellus withdrew them [his ships] a bow-shot, the old man [Archimedes] constructed a kind of hexagonal mirror, and at an interval proportionate to the size of the mirror he set similar small mirrors with four edges, moved by links and by a form of hinge, and made it the centre of the sun's beams--its noon-tide beam, whether in summer or in mid-winter. Afterwards, when the beams were reflected in the mirror, a fearful kindling of fire was raised in the ships, and at the distance of a bow-shot he turned them into ashes. In this way did the old man prevail over Marcellus with his weapons.

John Zonaras, EPITOME TON ISTORION, 9.4:

At last in an incredible manner he [Archimedes] burned up the whole Roman fleet. For by tilting a kind of mirror toward the sun he concentrated the sun's beam upon it; and owing to the thickness and smoothness of the mirror he ignited the air from this beam and kindled a great flame, the whole of which he directed upon the ships that lay at anchor in the path of the fire, until he consumed them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TolyJz5nPqs&t=14s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sviuy4TFWc4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtzRAjW6KO0

http://web.mit.edu/2.009/www/experiments/deathray/10_ArchimedesResult.html

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Help, I'm getting sucked into an "Egyptology is wrong" hole.

One one hand, I had no idea about the underground structures carved into the bedrock with the huge 70+ton granite boxes and those seem even more crazy than the pyramids themselves. They're smoothly polished but the hieroglyphs used to date them look like they're carved into them with tools that could barely scratch the surface. Doesn't make sense to me. And how could they move those fuckers through tunnels that were barely wider than the boxes themselves? How could they have carved them with copper tools?
Possible water erosion on the base of the Sphinx? I dunno but seems possible I guess?

On the other hand, these people then start talking about sacred geometry and I'm noping the gently caress out. "The dimensions of the Great Pyramid are 1/4 of 1 minute of longitude and latitude at the equator" like wtf are you talking about? "The shafts are perfectly aligned with this or that star/constellation" yeah okay, everything is aligned with something in the sky, the rain gutters on my roof are probably aligned with Alpha Centauri or whatever.

I guess I'm intrigued by the idea that we had a fairly advanced civilization that got wiped out during the Younger Dryas, but I have a hard time finding anyone looking into this who isn't also into esoteric poo poo.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That's because the majority of those sorts of alternative ideas still trace back to theosophical cosmology rooted in Victorian ideas of race science, or to medieval translations of Islamic translations of Greek writings on the function of the pyramids or the history of Egypt.

I've not seen any pictures of tombs with poorly-cut hieroglyphics, but cutting specific irregular shapes into rock would be considerably more difficult than taking the uneven peaks off of it. Sir John Gardner Wilkinson postulated that the Egyptians favoured the use of copper and bronze tools because the soft metal held emery powder more readily, allowing them to use mechanical assistance such as a wheel and drill like an engraver rather than simply chiseling into the stone. Egypt also preferentially sourced the stronger arsenical copper from its mines in Sinai.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Ghostlight posted:

That's because the majority of those sorts of alternative ideas still trace back to theosophical cosmology rooted in Victorian ideas of race science, or to medieval translations of Islamic translations of Greek writings on the function of the pyramids or the history of Egypt.

I've not seen any pictures of tombs with poorly-cut hieroglyphics, but cutting specific irregular shapes into rock would be considerably more difficult than taking the uneven peaks off of it. Sir John Gardner Wilkinson postulated that the Egyptians favoured the use of copper and bronze tools because the soft metal held emery powder more readily, allowing them to use mechanical assistance such as a wheel and drill like an engraver rather than simply chiseling into the stone. Egypt also preferentially sourced the stronger arsenical copper from its mines in Sinai.

I guess I should have posted pictures, there's some in this post if you scroll down a little: http://www.pukajay.com/pukajaypress/?p=110
The whole video about the boxes is also at the top, but it's almost an hour long. They get to walk around sections closed to the public though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Vodos posted:

I guess I should have posted pictures, there's some in this post if you scroll down a little: http://www.pukajay.com/pukajaypress/?p=110
The whole video about the boxes is also at the top, but it's almost an hour long. They get to walk around sections closed to the public though.

The problem with all these things often comes down to "so what is your alternative theory?"

I'm at work so skimmed the article, but it's a list of questions like "how could they have seen in the dark?" Or "how could they have carved on the stone?" With no alternatives mentioned, which is making me think there is an unwritten "it was aliens" subtext.

In general, "common sense" questions on the behavior of ancient people is a minefield, because while the ancients were just like us, they also were very much not like us. Like for the darkness problem, they may literally have done it in the dark by feel, explaining the rough work.

It's like with stonehenge or the various sites in Peru, where you will see comments questioning the extreme effort that would be required to accomplish the task as evidence that it must have been something else. This missed the point that yeah, ancient societies did weird poo poo, like devoting the entire villages free time in the winter to moving a giant rear end stone another 500 feet, which continued for hundreds of years.