Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Schurik posted:

Massive endgame spoilers: The whole Dora/Dolores confrontation just loving wrecked me. It's far from a unique experience, but the way it's written, how it mingles the specifics of Harry's story with universal truths about being a sorry gently caress, combined with the fact that you're playing it, was almost a bit much in how it nailed the exact specifics of my feelings regarding my version of the situation. There were a lot of skill checks I mulled over for quite a while, thinking about whether I should even attempt them, but the Kiss Her check was the worst. In the end I did it, hoping to fail, because I knew what was going to happen, I succeeded, and it was horrible. I'm getting choked up just thinking about it.

Suggestion: You should put me in front of a firing squad for what I just made you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

Suggestion: You should put me in front of a firing squad for what I just made you do.

I went through every one of the options provided in that context too (except the last one), completely compelled, entranced, and disgusted at myself at the same time. gently caress you, Suggestion.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
game needs to let you forget thoughts for free. anyone got a cheat engine code for skill points?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

That part hit so close to home and made me feel more sad then I knew a videogame was even capable of doing.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Just finished my first run at 35 hours, what a game.

How do I get the most out of my second run to differentiate it from the first? The first I went with the thinker dev archetype (5/1/2/4 + encyclopedia), and I don't think I had any loose ends. I think I'd be gimping myself too much by going 1 int or mot, so I was thinking 2/5/3/2 with maybe + perception, none of the fys stuff seems all that useful. Whats the thing that has your clothes talking to you? I had none of that in my run.

FYS has a ton of interesting interactions and the reason it doesn't seem useful is because lots of the dialogue options pertinent to certain skills are only visible if you have the prerequisite amount of points to meet the invisible checks so you wouldn't have seen them when you had a build low in them. Shivers is one of the most interesting skills, and contrary to what most people say Half-Light does chime in fairly often and steers you into more of the paranoid interactions, Physical Instrument has a lot of funny moments and a decent amount of weight during signifigant interactions, Electrochemistry has some of the best quips and playing a burnout addict was one of the more interesting routes out of the three playthroughs I've done so far. The more willing you are to go for a racist/homophobic/sexist/fascist playthrough the more that tree will give you unique options. In fact, I bet the reason a lot of people give Half Light a bad rap is because they refrained from going down that route. Half Life is rife with homophobia and misogyny, Endurance with fascism and supremacism. Physical Instrument is classic toxic masculinity. Indulging in those options will get more out of those skills. Resisting what paths the various builds take you down will just end up with zero Thought Cabinet pickups and a more homogeneous experience.

Honestly I'm not one much for the middling builds people do on here, my first run through was somewhat like that but invariably the best runs tend to be picking a course and doubling down on it. Just pick your archetype and let the white checks for the other skills fail, it doesn't matter. It's better to jam all your points into two trees and leave the other two at 1 so you end up having the highest chance of experiencing interactions most relevant to those trees, otherwise the playthroughs vary far less. You're going to miss perception checks or whiff utterly at Logic but that's the point of the game, playing conservatively ultimately reduces the amount of content you see than it opens up.

Part of the game is failing the checks for things you aren't competent at to diversify that playthrough even more, since oftentimes the results for failure are just as spectacular. It only makes sense that the unstable drug addict cop with high Shivers and Inland Empire and virtually zero composure has a crying meltdown after failing a Drama check.

Reducing failure chances out of fear of it ultimately hurts the experience in the end.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Physical Instrument is classic toxic masculinity.

Coach physical instrument thinks you should shut your pansy mouth, nerd.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

I picked the clothes I liked and stuck with them forever. I can't imagine how annoying it would have been to change them for every check, or how mood-ruining it would have been for me to constantly cycle through a variety of horrible mishmash appearances. I optimized my clothes for something once, to see the good version of Karaoke out of curiosity, and the result was Harry getting onstage wearing a sex kimono, a mesh tank top, jeans, army boots, fingerless gloves, a bowtie and an asian cone hat

I'm doing a run as a guy who is genuinely remorseful and trying to get his life together (after my first playthrough as Psychic Doomsayer Cop) and I've finally assembled a normal looking outfit that isn't soaked in piss and will probably wear that for the rest of the game for roleplaying reasons.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Schurik posted:

Massive endgame spoilers: The whole Dora/Dolores confrontation just loving wrecked me. It's far from a unique experience, but the way it's written, how it mingles the specifics of Harry's story with universal truths about being a sorry gently caress, combined with the fact that you're playing it, was almost a bit much in how it nailed the exact specifics of my feelings regarding my version of the situation. There were a lot of skill checks I mulled over for quite a while, thinking about whether I should even attempt them, but the Kiss Her check was the worst. In the end I did it, hoping to fail, because I knew what was going to happen, I succeeded, and it was horrible. I'm getting choked up just thinking about it.

Choosing to kiss her was absolutely in line with the detective I was playing in my first playthrough and gently caress, I wished it didn't succeed because tearing away from her with the line "you aren't kissing back" is just the worst. I've actually ended a relationship before where I'm pretty much the Dolores in the scenario and looking at it in this game from the other person's perspective just hosed me up.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Schurik posted:

Just finished this, and I'm now in the bad place where everything else I play will feel comparatively bad for a while. This was loving amazing, even the pseudo-spoiler I accidentally stumbled over early on couldn't ruin this.
As with all first playthroughs of RPGs, I played myself, or at least the way I see myself (Sorry Empathy Cop, big surprise), and the way Empathy, Drama, and Suggestion talked to me was startlingly *real* a couple of times, in a way that almost freaked me out a bit, in a paranoid sense.

I've played a lot of great games this year, but none have made me feel anything even remotely comparable to that, and it needed to be a game for that effect. Even without that specific example though, this is a loving masterpiece that lives up to every bit of hype surrounding it. Its flaws pale in comparison to the monumental accomplishment the whole package is, especially compared to anything else on the market today. Now to let some time pass and forget some specifics, and roll through the game as a **SUPERSTAR**

I just finished my second playthrough and actually decided to sleep in the bunker this time so in finally got the Dolores dream. Unfortunately I forgot to actually press the 'kiss her' option, and now i think i missed a real important part. any chance you remember what i missed

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

oscarthewilde posted:

I just finished my second playthrough and actually decided to sleep in the bunker this time so in finally got the Dolores dream. Unfortunately I forgot to actually press the 'kiss her' option, and now i think i missed a real important part.

it's a really good scene but that option really isn't hyperboyle in how it's described as:

Oxxidation posted:

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Ending spoilerish I like how sad Harry is but he isnt even tragically sad just boringly mundane sad there is no majesty to it at all

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 25, 2019

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Nephthys posted:

I reloaded to hear both versions and I actually think I preferred the failed version of karaoke to the success. Its more *raw*.

I hated the failed version. I reloaded to make sure here was a difference. And I was salty about putting on all the drama gear and failing an 80% check while looking like a Vietnamese brothel collided with a vaudeville theater.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the losing karaoke check is absolutely the correct and canonical result

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

oscarthewilde posted:

I just finished my second playthrough and actually decided to sleep in the bunker this time so in finally got the Dolores dream. Unfortunately I forgot to actually press the 'kiss her' option, and now i think i missed a real important part. any chance you remember what i missed

I mean it's mostly just sheer emotional brutality, but I also missed that option and reloaded after beating the game to see it. The main takeaway, and keep in mind this is all from your subconscious' perspective, is that the ex had at least two abortions because they couldn't afford to have kids, that she was pregnant with someone else's kid (maybe while leaving him, although in another section she says she never cheated on him, so that coulda been Harry's paranoia) that the guy she left him for was rich, that she's much happier now, and that Harry was starting to lose his mind before she left due to being too good a detective in too lovely a world. Keep in mind the kinda clinical way I just wrote this is NOT how game conveys it. Anyone remember anything else factually important from that bit of the conversation?

I'm not sure where it came up - the dream, or maybe the very end - but there's a bit I loving LOVED where the narration told me, a GIANT COMMUNIST cop, that the whole relationship was doomed from the start because she was a bourgeoisie and Harry was working class. I loving loved that, it's exactly the same kind of self-serving use of ideology instead of introspection that I've seen myself and others use when they don't have a high enough volition skill to really look at themselves. Has anyone else gotten a similar line for a different political ideology?

Hub Cat posted:

Ending spoilerish I like how sad Harry is but he isnt even dramatically sad just boringly mundane sad there is no majesty to it at all

I like when he finds out when the dream took place. Maybe I was too into the sorry coptype but I sensed real indignation when he found out he'd been moaning about his ex for six loving years. I mean, there wasn't enough indignation to make the pain go away, but still a bit of a shock.

Digital Osmosis fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 25, 2019

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

so the bit after the mural is the point of no return point, right? I feel like I need to finish this game instead of just exploring every nook and cranny before being forced to move on so I can participate in this discussion

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

so the bit after the mural is the point of no return point, right? I feel like I need to finish this game instead of just exploring every nook and cranny before being forced to move on so I can participate in this discussion

Kim will take you aside and go "hey, this is the point of no return" just before the point of no return

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

man that whole interaction with the lady on the hostel roof is just heartbreaking. how dare you make me feel things, game >:I

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Digital Osmosis posted:

I'm not sure where it came up - the dream, or maybe the very end - but there's a bit I loving LOVED where the narration told me, a GIANT COMMUNIST cop, that the whole relationship was doomed from the start because she was a bourgeoisie and Harry was working class. I loving loved that, it's exactly the same kind of self-serving use of ideology instead of introspection that I've seen myself and others use when they don't have a high enough volition skill to really look at themselves. Has anyone else gotten a similar line for a different political ideology?
interesting. i do know the phasmid characterizes your relationship in different terms depending on your ideology. if you're a moralist it says you're living a hell on earth. maybe there's also more of a deificatory association between your ex and dolores dei

also: i think the kiss check--pass or fail--always has the same result

Zane fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 25, 2019

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Zane posted:

interesting. i do know the phasmid characterizes your relationship in different terms depending on your ideology. if you're a moralist it says you're living in hell on earth. maybe there's also more of a deificatory association between your wife and dolores dei

also: i think the kiss check--pass or fail--always has the same result

Am I the only one who didn't try the kiss check? I couldn't help myself from trying to give figurines to Dolores Dei, but that whole thing was so terrible and obviously trying to kiss her is the complete opposite of what Harry should be doing. There was an infodump after that about what happened? I had just assumed the big reveal about the breakup was that the reasons behind it barely mattered.

It was interesting, in that conversation and the one on the phone, it really felt like Harry was taking over the player choice, like we're not playing a game but gently steering around this damaged individual -- just about all the options were stupid, terrible things to say that only cause more pain, but I'm playing as Harry, not as myself, and those are the only things Harry wants to say. And he just can't stop himself.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

oscarthewilde posted:

Information-wise, you didn't miss anything, just an additional kick to the gut.

Phenotype posted:

Am I the only one who didn't try the kiss check? I couldn't help myself from trying to give figurines to Dolores Dei, but that whole thing was so terrible and obviously trying to kiss her is the complete opposite of what Harry should be doing. There was an infodump after that about what happened? I had just assumed the big reveal about the breakup was that the reasons behind it barely mattered.

It was interesting, in that conversation and the one on the phone, it really felt like Harry was taking over the player choice, like we're not playing a game but gently steering around this damaged individual -- just about all the options were stupid, terrible things to say that only cause more pain, but I'm playing as Harry, not as myself, and those are the only things Harry wants to say. And he just can't stop himself.

Not an infodump, except for some details (her name, when they broke up, some hints about children). Like you say, the details are not really important, it's much more about how Harry feels, and at least part of the vagueness is to let the player self-insert.

Schurik fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 25, 2019

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Phenotype posted:

I did the kiss because I wanted to see how bad it got not because I thought it was a good idea

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

For some reason, I got smokes in my second save, I refused to smoke inside the store (misclicked, for reals) and now I can't smoke at all. What the gently caress, game?

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Hub Cat posted:

I did the kiss because I wanted to see how bad it got not because I thought it was a good idea

I personally really want to meet the person who thinks this is a good idea in this situation. I don't even know what I'd do if I met them. Kiss them, probably.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Schurik posted:

I personally really want to meet the person who thinks this is a good idea in this situation. I don't even know what I'd do if I met them. Kiss them, probably.

Its like a Dramatic meet her at the airport show her how much you really love her romance movie scene but instead of a big kiss she grinds you into fine powder and explains exactly how it didn't work out and it will never work out and you need to stop trying and move on with your life because you aren't some tragic hero its so great

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 25, 2019

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Digital Osmosis posted:

I mean it's mostly just sheer emotional brutality, but I also missed that option and reloaded after beating the game to see it. The main takeaway, and keep in mind this is all from your subconscious' perspective, is that the ex had at least two abortions because they couldn't afford to have kids, that she was pregnant with someone else's kid (maybe while leaving him, although in another section she says she never cheated on him, so that coulda been Harry's paranoia) that the guy she left him for was rich, that she's much happier now, and that Harry was starting to lose his mind before she left due to being too good a detective in too lovely a world. Keep in mind the kinda clinical way I just wrote this is NOT how game conveys it. Anyone remember anything else factually important from that bit of the conversation?

I like when he finds out when the dream took place. Maybe I was too into the sorry coptype but I sensed real indignation when he found out he'd been moaning about his ex for six loving years. I mean, there wasn't enough indignation to make the pain go away, but still a bit of a shock.

further to that, she was the catalyst that made Harry become a cop. He was happily being a gym teacher but she told him to be something bigger, and so he did. She left him at some point, and then returned to him (the apricot chewing gum wrapper in the hidden part of the ledger), and aborted either due to the economic situation or that the babies were sick. She finally left for real, and works at some other place much further away, and he would regularly call her in the six years since she left when he gets too sad or emotional or drunk, so much so that the sequence of numbers has turned into muscle memory. Harrier Du Bois's life direction was practically done out of his love for her, and losing her that second time broke him into a million pieces. He throws himself into the work (which is why he has 180-200+ solved cases) and regularly burns out by drinking/drugging himself into a memory hole, yet still solving the drat cases anyway.

And that is the person Kim Kitsuragi has to face when his precinct sends him to Martinaisse for a pissing contest on who has the bestest cop in Ravehnchol, a guy wearing only one shoe smiling like a loving lunatic, puts on a vietnamese farmer's hat, screams about a church at karaoke, calls himself Raphael Ambrose Costueau, and dates a woman wielding a katana.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Is it bad that my reaction to sending Kim away half way through the day on day 3 when I arrested Klaasje is gently caress that I’m gonna read a book the rest of the day I go nowhere without sweet innocent Kimball

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

The Saddest Rhino posted:

And that is the person Kim Kitsuragi has to face when his precinct sends him to Martinaisse for a pissing contest on who has the bestest cop in Ravehnchol, a guy wearing only one shoe smiling like a loving lunatic, puts on a vietnamese farmer's hat, screams about a church at karaoke, calls himself Raphael Ambrose Costueau, and dates a woman wielding a katana.[/spoiler]

After loving *nailing* the pathetic, self-destructive, existentialist vision of specifically a man, I really hope ZA/UM go through with their sequel idea of playing a five months pregnant woman, even if it's "only" a second playable character w/r/t sales viability.

Hub Cat posted:

Its like a Dramatic meet her at the airport show her how much you really love her romance movie scene but instead of a big kiss she grinds you into fine powder and explains exactly how it didn't work out and it will never work out and you need to stop trying and move on with your life because you aren't some tragic hero its so great

One of my guilty pleasures, the movie Spun, has a great scene near the end that is basically this. It's played with a very different tone and not as good by miles, but a great subversion of the trope nonetheless.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Since you know the voices are facets of your own person, you can see that you aren't ever anything more than willfully blind.
(Spoiler from a friend's sacrificial conversation.)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Ending spoilers: The phasmid conversation is you talking to yourself (or maybe it's not - there's a 2mm hole in the world on the other side of the water, right?) and can only tell you what you think you need to hear. Inland Empire is just Harry's raw Detectivery in its most unfiltered form.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

wiegieman posted:

Ending spoilers: The phasmid conversation is you talking to yourself (or maybe it's not - there's a 2mm hole in the world on the other side of the water, right?) and can only tell you what you think you need to hear. Inland Empire is just Harry's raw Detectivery in its most unfiltered form.

as far as I can remember, Inland Empire is never wrong, even when it's telling you things that Harry 100% could not possibly know

"Who killed you?" "Communism" springs to mind.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

as far as I can remember, Inland Empire is never wrong, even when it's telling you things that Harry 100% could not possibly know

"Who killed you?" "Communism" springs to mind.

Inland Empire is William Blake's unlocked doors of perception, which makes me wonder about how it relates to Shivers.

IE is about your perception, so it feels okay to say that Shivers seems to be some sort of... collective manifestation of Inland Empire that favors the ones who can hear it? The game drops some very little hints about that, essentially calling the manifestation "La Revacholiére" in an item and a couple more moments: the very spirit of the city.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Inland Empire is William Blake's unlocked doors of perception, which makes me wonder about how it relates to Shivers.

IE is about your perception, so it feels okay to say that Shivers seems to be some sort of... collective manifestation of Inland Empire that favors the ones who can hear it? The game drops some very little hints about that, essentially calling the manifestation "La Revacholiére" in an item and a couple more moments: the very spirit of the city.

You can get more about shivers if you dance yourself into exhaustion at the end of the church quest, when you've finished the mixtape.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Schurik posted:

After loving *nailing* the pathetic, self-destructive, existentialist vision of specifically a man, I really hope ZA/UM go through with their sequel idea of playing a five months pregnant woman, even if it's "only" a second playable character w/r/t sales viability.

i would be down for their take on fargo yeah

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
So. Final thoughts on this disco shindig;

game is good. but.

I feel like it did way to much politically themed whackiness at the expense of the actual plot. DE is about a shattered noir hardboiled detective etc, but a huge chunk of the game and dialog revolved around political ideologies, communism in various forms in particular, which... doesn't actually factor into the case that well. A good half-maybe of the cast is involved in an ideological struggle, be it the Union-aligned crew, the various racists, Joyce and to a lesser extent the mercs, Rene and Gaston, etc. Save that and the colorful worldbuilding, including the revolution and the Pale and all of it, doesn't... really actually couple into the murder-mystery that well. You don't really detective through it, once you start to get a lead and do your can-opener routine it goes from "hm this body" "you hanged him?!" "it was a cover up..." "rudy did it, where is she" "dangit she didn't, also the tribunal is here." "well let's go to the last pla- communism killed him????" which honestly makes it feel pretty weak, ultimately, imo. Not that I didn't enjoy the whacky hijinks, but when the side quests all come together and coalesce into a rather abrupt and out there ending? Well, to some degree that's good writing, but it still didn't make the core case and premise of the game terribly solid. When there's three cases in your detective game and they all kinda have the same "who dunnit???" factor, including the one that takes up the entire game, that's... probably a failure for a detective story/game!

it is good and I recommend it to basically anyone but I am looking forward to a sequel or another title in the same vein to see them learn from their "mistakes" and drop down an ever strong product.

That said; where does detective on scene hit because apparently I missed that and was looking forward to it

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Night10194 posted:

I wish to hell they sold a soundtrack because I'd buy it in an instant.
Yea, although if you want more music by the composers, just look up British Sea Power, the soundtrack is definitely in line with their previous work.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I am reposting it in full because, honestly, I just love this. It is literally one of the greatest descriptions of leftism ever. It has the right amount of humor to carry wit and just the right amount of proper tragedy to give it some resounding weight. [chef kiss]

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Phenotype posted:

Speak for yourself. I definitely wanted to tell her that I am the law.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Hub Cat posted:

HDB is a tragic hero tho

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Mr. Sharps posted:

man that whole interaction with the lady on the hostel roof is just heartbreaking. how dare you make me feel things, game >:I

Talk to Volition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Of all the 97% checks to fail, why did it have to be (post Point of No Return spoiler) the one that tells Kim to turn around and shoot the merc? :smith: