Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Literally I do not give a gently caress about what your impoverished, snooping Android phone can or can't do because I'm talking to rich people on their rich people phones using iMessage. If you don't have an iPhone, don't even bother texting me, send a letter or something.
I swipe left whenever I see a green bubble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Green bubbles are the quickest way to get excluded from group messages. I have an employee who never knows the inside jokes and discussions we have because she has an Android

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fire Safety Doug posted:

But for content, got Glenrothes Halloween Edition whisky

I'm a big fan of Glenrothes. Well, I'm a big fan of most Speysides, but I really enjoy Glenrothes. Just a good whiskey to sip on a cold day. I don't know why, but I always start shifting from bourbon and Japanese whiskey in the summer to scotch and brandy in the winter. They just seem more wintery to me for some reason.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Do you guys have a solution for preventing the o-ring in your tumblers at work from getting gross? Or is this just a thing I’ll have to live with a buy a new tumbler every 18 months?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I don't know specifically what o-ring or tumbler you're talking about, but have you tried cleaning it occasionally?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, every double wall stainless mug I've had has removable ones that I just clean once a week or throw in the dish washer.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Inspector 34 posted:

I don't know specifically what o-ring or tumbler you're talking about, but have you tried cleaning it occasionally?
I clean it periodically but obviously not enough and now it’s stained. It doesn’t have gunk on the surface so maybe I just need to live with the discoloration?

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, every double wall stainless mug I've had has removable ones that I just clean once a week or throw in the dish washer.
I keep my tumbler at work so it doesn’t see a dishwasher.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Josh Lyman posted:

Do you guys have a solution for preventing the o-ring in your tumblers at work from getting gross? Or is this just a thing I’ll have to live with a buy a new tumbler every 18 months?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

Got a used Samsung Galaxy S7

I don't mind being slightly behind the curve.

My s7 active is still kicking along but it's battery is starting show wear. Takes better pictures than the iPhones up until the latest gen with the 3 cameras on the back. Be prepared to figure out the battery situation. (my battery is 4ah, I think yours is like 2.5ah, so be prepared to charge it a lot.)

The green bubble hate is hilarious, I didn't know it that was just my coworkers or a national thing.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I thought that was sarcasm, cause if it's real...

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Yeah if that post about excluding co-workers is real...yikes.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

bobmarleysghost posted:

There were group chats I was added to then immediately removed from when they saw the green bubble and grainy video. It was basically high school all over.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Think of the sea turtles 😭

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

bobmarleysghost posted:

It's real and very stupid.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Josh Lyman posted:

Think of the sea turtles 😭

I pour a little coffee out each morning for the lost.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well in 5 years when iPhones catch up to this generation of Android features, they'll be excluding people for having green boxes around their streaming language translations. By the way, I love google lens. Never would have thought I'd use it, but it's come in handy for work about 5 times already this week. Never before has reviewing German brokerage account forms been so easy!

edit:
This is tongue-in-cheek by the way, before people start thinking I care about what kind of phone people use. I do like the Lens thing though.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 19:23 on Oct 25, 2019

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well in 5 years when iPhones catch up to this generation of Android features, they'll be excluding people for having green boxes around their streaming language translations. By the way, I love google lens. Never would have thought I'd use it, but it's come in handy for work about 5 times already this week. Never before has reviewing German brokerage account forms been so easy!

edit:
This is tongue-in-cheek by the way, before people start thinking I care about what kind of phone people use. I do like the Lens thing though.
Google Lens is on iOS too though!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve used google lens on my iPhone to translate instructions on a Japanese pancake mix. It really feels like the future when it works.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I solved the green/blue bubble problem by simply not having friends.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

redgubbinz posted:

I solved the green/blue bubble problem by simply not having friends.

same. Every time I am in a group chat I wish I wasn't.

quote:

It really feels like the future when it works.

My dick

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

bobmarleysghost posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utQcBYO-fvg

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yea I knew in general some people out there in the world do care about this, but I was more talking about the people posting in this thread.

It went on for so long that i felt like it was a trap sprung sort of situation.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Been watching Odd Tinkering a lot and it’s inspired me to pick up an old Gameboy. $20 on eBay, listed as for parts/repair with a “bad display,” though I expect it’s just dirty contacts not letting a game connect. Plan is to open it up, clean the contacts, give the case and buttons a scrub, maybe a healthy dose of Retr0brite, and apply a new screen protector.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Coffee And Pie posted:

Been watching Odd Tinkering a lot and it’s inspired me to pick up an old Gameboy. $20 on eBay, listed as for parts/repair with a “bad display,” though I expect it’s just dirty contacts not letting a game connect. Plan is to open it up, clean the contacts, give the case and buttons a scrub, maybe a healthy dose of Retr0brite, and apply a new screen protector.

You could also do a screen backlight/contrast mod while you're there, like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUnHC-oZc3s
I still have my old gameboy, in pretty much perfect condition so I'm leaving it stock for now. I could only find one Mario game though.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

H110Hawk posted:

My s7 active is still kicking along but it's battery is starting show wear. Takes better pictures than the iPhones up until the latest gen with the 3 cameras on the back. Be prepared to figure out the battery situation. (my battery is 4ah, I think yours is like 2.5ah, so be prepared to charge it a lot.)

I don't use a phone that much, so that's not likely to be an issue.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

I don't use a phone that much, so that's not likely to be an issue.

How could you, that thing probably weighs 8 metric tons and takes up two floors of a decent sized commercial building. The world must go without vacuum tubes for the next year because Mister Kingdom decided they needed a "new" phone.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

My Air Max 2014's finally died, so it was time for something new.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
A two pack of Pyrex baking dishes from Costco!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Don’t buy disposable cooking ware

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Pyrex is glass, and therefore not disposable?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My Pyrex is lifelong poo poo and it owns.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Modern Pyrex is often not actually borosilicate glass. Maybe that's what Bottom Liner is referring to?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

A cat knocked a 30 year old pyrex measuring cup off the counter and broke it I was so mad

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

mystes posted:

Modern Pyrex is often not actually borosilicate glass. Maybe that's what Bottom Liner is referring to?

Yeah, they switched to a cheaper form of glass a few years ago that explodes with much less dramatic temp changes and it's been a huge ordeal that made a lot of people swear them off. The old stuff was "thermal shock resistant" and the new soda lime glass isn't. If you have the old stuff your'e good.

quote:

"Since Pyrex is no longer made of the same special thermal shock resistant glass, one should take extra care when using it. Do not place Pyrex on your stove top. Do not change its temperature rapidly, regardless of what the website says. Pyrex, in its current incarnation, should be treated more like any other piece of glass."

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That’s actually good to know because I wanted to pick up some smaller Pyrex bowls for meal prepping but now I’ll shop around.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
If the name "Pyrex" is lower case it's soda lime glass. If it's all capital letters it's borosilicate glass.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

If the name "Pyrex" is lower case it's soda lime glass. If it's all capital letters it's borosilicate glass.

illustrated example. good stuff on right.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, they switched to a cheaper form of glass a few years ago that explodes with much less dramatic temp changes and it's been a huge ordeal that made a lot of people swear them off. The old stuff was "thermal shock resistant" and the new soda lime glass isn't. If you have the old stuff your'e good.

Pretty savvy of them to take the one thing they were good at and make it bad :hmmyes:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Thats like common theme with cookware. OH WE MADE THIS AWESOME IT NEVER BREAKS poo poo no one needs any more. Sell the name to vultures then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

SpartanIvy posted:

True on the former, false on the latter. The change to soda lime glass was well before the brand was sold off and the logo changed.

E: the color of the glass is a better tell.