Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CannonFodder posted:

Go home Dasher, you're drunk

More like Blitzed-en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

nm posted:

That also almost happened because people kept turning left in front of the family. There does not appear to be a protected left there, so they're all being assholes as well, and stranded them in the intersection, increasing their danger.
That douchebaggery is less bad than the red light runner, but gently caress people who don't yield to peds.

They might not have noticed them until it was too late because they had no expectations of pedestrians because there's no crosswalk there at all. Intersections like that you're supposed to cross to the side that has an actual crosswalk with a crosswalk sign to tell you when it's safe, otherwise you're just jaywalking. The irony being that if she had crossed on the protected side without cross-traffic to hit that red light runner, they'd all be dead right now.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Wasabi the J posted:

More like Blitzed-en

And Prancing across.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

davebo posted:

They might not have noticed them until it was too late because they had no expectations of pedestrians because there's no crosswalk there at all. Intersections like that you're supposed to cross to the side that has an actual crosswalk with a crosswalk sign to tell you when it's safe, otherwise you're just jaywalking. The irony being that if she had crossed on the protected side without cross-traffic to hit that red light runner, they'd all be dead right now.
The article says they were in a crosswalk. If you streetview the intersection, there is clearly a crosswalk on all four sides.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Ahh my bad, didn't look like there were in the video.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

LloydDobler posted:

The meth heads around here don't even try to siphon anymore, the cars all have anti-siphon valves. They just find a high clearance vehicle, punch a hole in the gas tank and put a bucket under it. And if the truck has more gas than their bucket can hold they just leave and let it run out on the ground. The work trucks in my work business park have all been hit like that multiple times. The owners are furious but other than install cameras there's not much they can do. Maybe bolt on some plate to make the thieves move on to a different vehicle or something. Or build parking guards like a wood box that they park on or something.

Fill your gas tank with bees

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Been a while but I saw a bad one today. Going down the highway with my brother and he gets next to this SUV that is just gunning it. As it passes I see something out of the corner of my eye and when we catch up a while later, yep.

The driver is breastfeeding a kid.

gently caress me, what if you get in an accident? What if you have to switch and loving rear-end someone with a suckling baby between you and the airbag.

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

sleepy.eyes posted:

Been a while but I saw a bad one today. Going down the highway with my brother and he gets next to this SUV that is just gunning it. As it passes I see something out of the corner of my eye and when we catch up a while later, yep.

gently caress me, what if you get in an accident? What if you have to switch and loving rear-end someone with a suckling baby between you and the airbag.

Extra crumple zone imo. Better have an heir and a spare as they say.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

sleepy.eyes posted:

A few years ago an eight month pregnant woman and her unborn child died in an easily survivable accident because quelle surprise, no seatbelt.

People, man.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Proud Christian Mom posted:

A few years ago an eight month pregnant woman and her unborn child died in an easily survivable accident because quelle surprise, no seatbelt.

People, man.

Even wearing a seatbelt while pregnant has issues.. if the belt is over their belly and car rams something, baby is gonna get garroted by the seat belt.

I'm not saying don't wear a seat belt, but there's definitely education that needs to happen for expecting moms.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So I just moved to a new apartment which is within walking distance of work (and cuts out my 40 mile rush hour commute) and my first night here my impression is I have moved onto the road where people do stupid things. Once the sun goes down every 30-45 minutes I hear a car or motorcycle blasting down the road at a thousand miles an hour and/or with a fartblaster muffler.

I mean makes sense, you get off the interstate and once you get past the convention center, Amazon warehouse and the apartment complex I'm in there's gently caress-all for about 3-4 miles on a nearly empty, divided 4-lane road until you hit a regional highway. The biggest thing is the highschool which is not likely to have anyone there at 11 PM on a Saturday night.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I thought correct belting when pregnant was common knownl..... I can't even type that out with a straight face.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

MrOnBicycle posted:

I thought correct belting when pregnant was common knownl..... I can't even type that out with a straight face.

Don't you just get the lap belt under the baby? How is that not just intuitively obvious?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Beach Bum posted:

Don't you just get the lap belt under the baby? How is that not just intuitively obvious?

Welcome to America.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

"I sleep in a racing car. I also drive in a racing car."

Sorrry for the lovely FB link

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/MeghanKDKA/status/1188789368900726789

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Now just need a FSD Tesla to deliver the finishing blow.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Aww it really tried to be the flyer

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
A rounding error in the big scheme of things, but I saw a VW Up! yesterday with a very nice set of Thule Aerobars fitted... backwards.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

bolind posted:

A rounding error in the big scheme of things, but I saw a VW Up! yesterday with a very nice set of Thule Aerobars fitted... backwards.

I know a fellow kayaker that installed those bars backward. He's seen a bunch of examples of correctly installed bars on other cars hauling kayaks. I asked him how he missed that in the manual. Blank stare is all the answer that I got.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
This is, I believe, the impact that actually finally got them to raise the bridge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqOl5VgSem4

It looks like it squishes down under the safety bar, and then smacks into the bridge itself enough to move it

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Javid posted:

This is, I believe, the impact that actually finally got them to raise the bridge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqOl5VgSem4

It looks like it squishes down under the safety bar, and then smacks into the bridge itself enough to move it

just gonna let a hoe do them like that, ok

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I would GTA stunt jump the poo poo out of that thing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Had a dude nearly road rage at me because I didn't stop for him and yield as he was... backing out of a parking space.

Where the gently caress do these people learn the rules of the road? Granted it was not excellent defensive driving on my part, but I was more concerned with the person in front of me and the pedestrian who I legally had to give way to, rather than the person backing out who needs to give way to other traffic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had a guy threaten to run me over for not yielding to him as he put his car in reverse out a few months ago.

People get mad about stupid poo poo, they know drat well who has right of way.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Like what do you even say to that?

“I’m sorry you nearly backed into me?”

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I give any rear end in a top hat on the road my best beauty queen wave with a dumb smile. It should be completely inoffensive but it causes even more rage.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

xzzy posted:

I give any rear end in a top hat on the road my best beauty queen wave with a dumb smile. It should be completely inoffensive but it causes even more rage.

Nah, I parked and then he followed me and started a conversation. I didn’t even realise it was the same guy because “drove past a car backing up, which stopped and gave way as legally required” is not something that seemed out of the ordinary or worth worrying about.

But apparently it upset him considerably.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

Like what do you even say to that?

“I’m sorry you nearly backed into me?”

Nothing. Get the darkest legal tints you can, wear sunglasses, don’t be in a rush, and never egg a motherfucker on.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I legit thought it was some random person perhaps having noticed something wrong with my car or whatever, or else I’d not have talked with him. He didn’t seem crazy, just really stupid.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
So what'd you tell him?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

So what'd you tell him?

Basically, "Sorry you feel I was in the wrong, but I don't know what to tell you beyond 'you need to give way when reversing,' I hope you have a good day from here on out."

I think he probably just freaked himself out because he wasn't paying attention and he can't deal with blaming himself for his own mistake.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

PT6A posted:

I think he probably just freaked himself out because he wasn't paying attention and he can't deal with blaming himself for his own mistake.
This is 98% of road rage, to be honest.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Krakkles posted:

This is 98% of road rage, to be honest.

Yeah, everyone fucks up while driving once in a while. The sane people just own up to it and move on, the insane people make a whole scene out if it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah...one of those hopefully someone sane knows when to call it quits and move on. Maybe he had a bad day, needed to visit someone in a hospital or whatever. My failure is giving too much credit to the human race.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

PT6A posted:

Had a dude nearly road rage at me because I didn't stop for him and yield as he was... backing out of a parking space.

Where the gently caress do these people learn the rules of the road? Granted it was not excellent defensive driving on my part, but I was more concerned with the person in front of me and the pedestrian who I legally had to give way to, rather than the person backing out who needs to give way to other traffic.

Well technically, this isn't the rules of the road, it's the rules of the parking lot.
That being said, people backing out of a parking spot actually have the right of way because they do not have the visibility to necessarily see all oncoming traffic if they're sandwiched between other cars.

I learned this when some idiot backed out of a Starbucks parking space into my wife's stationary car, and the cops and insurance company informed me as such.
Of course this doesn't count if the offender is a complete loving moron and backs into a stationary car, but more-so if someone rams a car backing out of a parking spot.

Then I learned it again when the EXACT SAME loving THING happened again at a church parking lot.
I watched a senile old lady who could barely remember how to unlock the car, walk up to it, get in, start it up, and back straight into me without even looking in her mirrors. The whole time I didn't even move because I was waiting in a line of traffic.
She backed straight into my door so I couldn't get out. Then took off into oncoming traffic. Skipped a median and just stopped at an intersection with no stop sign or traffic signal staring straight ahead.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I love the back-up camera on my car for that reason, that and people like to go flying down the parking lot aisles so any extra visibility while backing up is hugely important.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Man, I need to buy a Tesla.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Well technically, this isn't the rules of the road, it's the rules of the parking lot.
That being said, people backing out of a parking spot actually have the right of way because they do not have the visibility to necessarily see all oncoming traffic if they're sandwiched between other cars.

I learned this when some idiot backed out of a Starbucks parking space into my wife's stationary car, and the cops and insurance company informed me as such.
Of course this doesn't count if the offender is a complete loving moron and backs into a stationary car, but more-so if someone rams a car backing out of a parking spot.

Then I learned it again when the EXACT SAME loving THING happened again at a church parking lot.
I watched a senile old lady who could barely remember how to unlock the car, walk up to it, get in, start it up, and back straight into me without even looking in her mirrors. The whole time I didn't even move because I was waiting in a line of traffic.
She backed straight into my door so I couldn't get out. Then took off into oncoming traffic. Skipped a median and just stopped at an intersection with no stop sign or traffic signal staring straight ahead.

Am I being woooshed here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Am I being woooshed here?

I was writing up a post about how cops are a generally unreliable source on law, and how it's likely the insurance company was bullshitting to dodge a claim, but I deleted it as I wasn't going to bother to look up a source for the second claim.

Edit: I dragged myself over to google and dug this up:

https://www.ameriprise.com/auto-home-insurance/aah/learning-center/auto/safe-driving/how-to-avoid-parking-lot-accidents/ posted:

A driver backs out of a space, into an oncoming car – Because both vehicles are moving, each driver may hold some responsibility. But, the driver in the traffic lane has the right of way. The driver who is backing out is responsible for waiting until it is safe to back out. The driver backing out is likely to be deemed primarily at fault in this parking lot accident.

TL;DR Don't trust cops or your insurance company.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 30, 2019