Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

Are we getting that idiot marine that they charged with espionage back for her?

Lol, why would we get anything back? Although I suppose who you define “we” as could change the answer to that question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Man the later Clancy books were such a wild ride. Man just didn't know what to do after the fall of the Soviet Union.

You just know he had to throw out thousands of pages of poo poo he'd already written

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

facialimpediment posted:

I had long since figured he didn't want anything to do with this process, since he wants to build/run a superPAC to stay relevant

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1187718496106483712?s=19

but I might be wrong!

Bolton knows this is the last chance he'll have to bring about regime change.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Thump! posted:

I have to wonder when the last time was that we even had proper armor this far north.

And just what the gently caress tanks are even going to do to help with security. It’s not like ISIL is even rolling around with armor anymore.

Abrams have a crew of four, with driver able to look forward, the loader able to poke out the top if he likes, and the gunner and tc having independent 360 degree optics and weapons systems with some serious optics, zoom, thermal, and laser designator. You can reach out and make someone dead at 5 clicks.

And if you've got a newer one you can do it all in air conditioned comfort.

If you've got some flat distance to look over, you'd be hard pressed to find a better guard that doesn't have wings.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

:laffo:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

jesus christ

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I had a thought experiment last night as to just how hard it would be to move the armored brigade that's currently in mothballs in Kuwait over to NE Syria. A few things to consider:

1) The SOFA with Iraq does not permit this level of troop movement, even if it's temporary
2) 2019 Iraq is not 2009 Iraq, the country is not on lockdown where you can trailer literally every tracked vehicle
3) It's roughly 600 miles from Camp Buehring to Tal'Afar (assuming FOB Sykes wasn't stripped to bare wires when we withdrew in 2011) which is the only realistic place you can station an armored BDE

So you have to get all those vehicles and personnel across Iraq, who doesn't want you there and is absolutely not a secure country anymore to move through like that, and hope to god that you can build a staging area on the ruins of FOB Sykes so you have a fallback location. How in the gently caress are you going to do that? How are you going to fuel it? Are you going to trailer the tracked assets and have the wheeled assets provide convoy security? You can't seriously consider driving tracked assets 600+ miles on roads; a full third of them won't make it and you'll absolutely destroy MSR Tampa in the process.

It's an absolute logistical nightmare and I'm not even touching on the million and one smaller issues that are there, just broad strokes stuff.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

caro could figure it out

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

If I wanted to drive one Abrams that far I would bring an entire supply train with it. Two wreckers minimum so you have one when the first wrecker breaks down and you have to burn it.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Vasudus posted:

I had a thought experiment last night as to just how hard it would be to move the armored brigade that's currently in mothballs in Kuwait over to NE Syria. A few things to consider:

1) The SOFA with Iraq does not permit this level of troop movement, even if it's temporary
2) 2019 Iraq is not 2009 Iraq, the country is not on lockdown where you can trailer literally every tracked vehicle
3) It's roughly 600 miles from Camp Buehring to Tal'Afar (assuming FOB Sykes wasn't stripped to bare wires when we withdrew in 2011) which is the only realistic place you can station an armored BDE

So you have to get all those vehicles and personnel across Iraq, who doesn't want you there and is absolutely not a secure country anymore to move through like that, and hope to god that you can build a staging area on the ruins of FOB Sykes so you have a fallback location. How in the gently caress are you going to do that? How are you going to fuel it? Are you going to trailer the tracked assets and have the wheeled assets provide convoy security? You can't seriously consider driving tracked assets 600+ miles on roads; a full third of them won't make it and you'll absolutely destroy MSR Tampa in the process.

It's an absolute logistical nightmare and I'm not even touching on the million and one smaller issues that are there, just broad strokes stuff.

I mean MSR Tampa goes all the way to Camp Arifjan. Sucks to be you, 2019 Army. :gritin:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

the route irish 5k expert mode has been unlocked

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
And then assuming you somehow get over there, you have a nearly impossible situation when dealing with supplies. When 3ACR took Tal'Afar over and moved in to FOB Sykes, we had roughly two support brigades helping us the first month. We built an airstrip for resupply and had daily convoys coming in with parts, food, etc. 3ACR at the time was roughly 6800 people, and included a self-contained air cavalry unit. Total population of FOB Sykes in 2006 to support that level of operations was roughly 8000.

Like...how? How in the holy gently caress are you going to DO that level of movement and sustainment?

And you can't just say 'hurf why move a brigade over there, just move a battalion' because uh...an armored battalion is gonna need at least another support battalion at least to keep it running. And they still need food, fuel, and parts.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You know the white house's solution is going to be to just say "airplanes".

That seems like a terrible idea in every single way, which means its a slam dunk for this admin

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Giuliani to associates: IS IT SAFE?
SDNY: lol no

https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1187754766899830784?s=19

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Just land them in our great ally Turkey and drive them south to the oil fields :v:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

*wipes brow* phew i am relieved that airborne did a combat jump into iraq and certainly worked on and improved their deficiencies since then. im glad we can depend on them. o7 o7 o7

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

quote:

Federal prosecutors told a judge this week that they are sifting through data from more than 50 bank accounts. In addition, they've put a filter team in place as they examine communications obtained via search warrant and subpoena, sensitive to material that could be subject to attorney-client privilege because Giuliani, President Donald Trump's personal attorney, counted Parnas as a client. A filter team is a separate set of prosecutors who are assigned to examine evidence and set aside material that is privileged.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
Iraq Thunder Run II: This time actually for the oil

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the route irish 5k expert mode has been unlocked

:lol:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Thunder Run 2

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Y’all are forgetting that the oil fields were already secured. Trump said so, therefore the BDE has been there the whole time by royal decree.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

not caring here posted:

Abrams have a crew of four, with driver able to look forward, the loader able to poke out the top if he likes, and the gunner and tc having independent 360 degree optics and weapons systems with some serious optics, zoom, thermal, and laser designator. You can reach out and make someone dead at 5 clicks.

And if you've got a newer one you can do it all in air conditioned comfort.

If you've got some flat distance to look over, you'd be hard pressed to find a better guard that doesn't have wings.

Vasudus posted:

Yeah actually being on the ground here and seeing the status of our infrastructure, there’s just no goddamned way. There’s no goddamned point. It’s just such a stupid loving idea.

gently caress Trump is dumb

Like, the infantry batt and all the SOF guys we just yoinked out aren’t even able to stay here, there’s no way we’re getting the assets in to support armor up here.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Oh yeah, it would've been the thought process of the moron.

"what's the bestest yugest guards you can have?"
"errr, tanks"
"WE'RE SENDING YUGE TANKS, SO MANY TANKS"

And let the dumb commence

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Yeah but what if we just pretend?

(What is actually gonna happen)

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

why exactly does he want tanks? Just put some modern optics on our 75mm field guns that I'm sure are mothballed somewhere, airlift them in, and go buck wild with direct lay.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Because he doesn't have the slightest idea what the gently caress he's talking about or doing.

dude

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 25, 2019

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The logistics requirements for tracked assets are so exponentially higher than wheeled assets it's incredible. If you're not invading a country or already well established as a police force then you're hosed.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

The logistics requirements for tracked assets are so exponentially higher than wheeled assets it's incredible. If you're not invading a country or already well established as a police force then you're hosed.

Yeah, well strong daddy Trump managed to get tanks into DC for his well attended 4th of July celebration honoring our heroes in uniform.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

colachute posted:

As useless as I think Twitter is, I think Bernie tweeting that pot should be legal, at 10:20am on a Friday, should be a specific bulletpoint in his pro column.

He tweeted it at 4:20 yesterday, which is 69 days left in 2019

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

I mean, we’re really just better off having LLDRs and a token security force capable of calling on overwhelming rotary and fixed wing assets for any threats we see in the area and what do you mean that’s exactly what we had and just pulled out with no intention of reinserting?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

psydude posted:

Yeah, well strong daddy Trump managed to get tanks into DC for his well attended 4th of July celebration honoring our heroes in uniform.

Didn't he only get one Bradley that threw a track and had to be towed?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

BigDave posted:

Didn't he only get one Bradley that threw a track and had to be towed?

got stuck 3x on the highway due to low overpasses

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

They also didn't check to see if they could clear the bridges while it was on the train.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Oh and the reason I specifically called out Tal'Afar as the staging city is because 3ACR specifically rebuilt all of the bridges and crossings to be able to handle the weight of tanks constantly crossing it. Because once you get outside of that region you've got short bridges that basically look like a wave when a single light truck is crossing it. Because the Sinjar mountain range is all over the place in that region. So yet another major logistical thing.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

quote:

President Trump on Friday dismissed the need for a bolstered team to defend him against House Democrats' impeachment inquiry.

"Here’s the thing. I don’t have teams. Everyone’s talking about teams. I’m the team. I did nothing wrong," Trump told reporters outside the White House before leaving for an event in South Carolina.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/467473-trump-dismisses-need-for-impeachment-team-im-the-team

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/nbcinvestigates/status/1187802990851301376?s=21 :f5::f5::f5:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Did you know that Obama supplied ALL of the guns to the Mexican cartels via Fast and Furious? At least that’s what the experts in my Facebook are implying.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

for gently caress's sake, just when we thought this poo poo couldn't get any dumber

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
How is anyone this bad at crimes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

when they make the movie about all this poo poo in 10 years, people will not believe that half of it actually happened. it defies belief.