Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Who even needs email. Set up a rule to send it all to your trash. If someone emails you something important, they'll call in a few days.

I'll just Slack it to you, that's so much better than email for some reason. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Who even needs email. Set up a rule to send it all to your trash. If someone emails you something important, they'll call in a few days.

same but for your posts

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

FCKGW posted:

same but for your posts

You're not wrong.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

nexxai posted:

Gmail: "has:attachment"
Outlook for Mac: "<search string>", click Advanced, click dropdown, choose Attachments, click second dropdown, choose Exists, hit enter

Whyyyyyyyyyyyy

I use “hasattachment:yes” in Outlook on Mac literally every day :)

You’re welcome :haw:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 25, 2019

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Jose Oquendo posted:

qft

seriously though if you're a person who uses email internally I will throw you out a window.

e:

Powered Descent posted:

I'll just Slack it to you, that's so much better than email for some reason. :suicide:

at least the search is *functional*

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

At least they let you install it on five machines, unlike Adobe's Photography package. I have a powerful desktop, a powerful laptop, and a runabout laptop that happens to have an asset tag but may as well be mine. If I want to bring the runabout & edit photos, I have to unauthorize another machine first. At least give me the option to authorize machines for online use only, you thugs. I mean, what kind of criminal enterprise do they think I'm running, I'm going to authorize hella machines and keep them all offline for that sweet sweet free Lightroom?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Jose Oquendo posted:

No. You'd have to reinstall Outlook 2011 on the temporary Mojave install.

What email provider does he use? There's little reason to archive emails anymore. Once you get Outlook 2011 running again, just dump his archived emails back into his mail (in folders if needed for organization), let that poo poo sync back with his email and you're done.

He's a business guy who doesn't really know what he's doing computer wise. He's got a few email accounts, the main one is on his own domain name and hosted by this rinky dink hosting company that I'm pretty sure he's buddies with the owner of. But he's got years and years of emails he wants to keep, and was just downloading them with pop instead of imap, so they're not the server I don't think. (I've got him on imap now)

How exactly would I dump the archived emails into the new installation of Outlook? Just go find the folder outlook stores everything in and copy it over?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

counterfeitsaint posted:

He's a business guy who doesn't really know what he's doing computer wise. He's got a few email accounts, the main one is on his own domain name and hosted by this rinky dink hosting company that I'm pretty sure he's buddies with the owner of. But he's got years and years of emails he wants to keep, and was just downloading them with pop instead of imap, so they're not the server I don't think. (I've got him on imap now)

How exactly would I dump the archived emails into the new installation of Outlook? Just go find the folder outlook stores everything in and copy it over?

(This is not me being snarky) I think this might answer a lot of your questions: https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...2a-95a905249414

It seems pretty comprehensive.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

counterfeitsaint posted:

That is a great idea, thanks both of you for replying. I've found some guides for how to install on a USB drive and boot from it, but will that give me access to the Outlook 2011 installation that's on the home drive? I'm not that familiar with macs, so maybe it's a dumb question. But for example if you did this with windows, and booted from a different installation on a thumb drive you couldn't run Outlook that was installed on the main hard drive.

I have never used outlook but my approach would be something like this:

1. Figure out where Outlook 2011 stores all your mail and preferences data
2. Copy all that stuff from the Catalina drive to the same paths on the temporary Mojave
3. Install outlook 2011 on Mojave
4. Fire it up and hope it works
5. If it does, export the mail, boot into Catalina, see if it imports.

If your friend happened to make a time machine backup of their old Mojave before upgrading to Catalina, a much less painful procedure would be to restore it to an external drive and then do step 5.

E: actually Jose’s Microsoft support link sounds like the way to go, all my advice so far has been based on the assumption that Outlook 2019 couldn’t import direct from 2011 data. If it can, you should do that. Also for the love of god make him a backup before performing the import if the mail is important.

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 25, 2019

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I just thought of something too:

You said you got him setup with IMAP. So EXCEPT from archived stuff, is all his stuff in his email server?

If so, you might be in luck. If you know where the email archives are located, you may be able to just import them with outlook and not even have to gently caress with Outlook 2011.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So I really appreciate all the help.

It turns out when I finally get in front of his laptop, the solution is, when setting up Outlook 365, you select the 'import data from Outlook 2011' option, instead of the create new profile option. Go figure.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

counterfeitsaint posted:

So I really appreciate all the help. Thanks for nothing, goons, I figured it out myself.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

I use “hasattachment:yes” in Outlook on Mac literally every day :)

You’re welcome :haw:

son of a

thank you

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I swear this came up not too long ago, but is it possible to run Windows 10 in Boot Camp and as a VM? If so, is there a preferred way to set it up? Boot Camp first would be my guess. I'd be running VirtualBox for the virtualization side ideally.

Eh, starting to look pretty ugly using VirtualBox. I think I'll see how my old MacBook does running it as just a VM.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 27, 2019

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

nitsuga posted:

I swear this came up not too long ago, but is it possible to run Windows 10 in Boot Camp and as a VM?

Parallels supports this.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
VMWare Fusion can definitely run a Boot Camp install.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Pivo posted:

Parallels supports this.

Yep it's really nice too. You can install Steam updates and if you're not a coward you can also perform Windows updates from the VM without having to reboot into Windows (or reboot the host machine at all :cool:). I did this for several years and I don't think it screwed up my Windows install lol, but your mileage may vary

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is there a good alternative to Mail? Preferably something that actually syncs in the background and doesn't constantly complain about connection problems to Gmail that clear up with a single click?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Fallom posted:

Is there a good alternative to Mail? Preferably something that actually syncs in the background and doesn't constantly complain about connection problems to Gmail that clear up with a single click?

You could try Thunderbird. I think those kinds of problems are really more due to the crossed streams with Google and Apple than just the app itself though, so your luck may be no better really.

Pivo posted:

Parallels supports this.

Now do they support going from a VM to Boot Camp or is there any decent way to do that? I think I'll stick with a VM for now, but I'm guessing I'd be better off just starting over if I do want to run it in Boot Camp as well. Calling Microsoft isn't THAT bad these days.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Fallom posted:

Is Thunderbird still a thing?

Efb

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you care to the tune of $30/mo about having a really fast and productive email experience on macOS and iOS, Superhuman is quite good. Its offline support is better than Airmail’s especially, which is what I was using before.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

nitsuga posted:

Now do they support going from a VM to Boot Camp or is there any decent way to do that? I think I'll stick with a VM for now, but I'm guessing I'd be better off just starting over if I do want to run it in Boot Camp as well. Calling Microsoft isn't THAT bad these days.

I'm fairly sure you'd have to do some serious work on your own to convert a virtual machine into a Bootcamp partition, I don't think any of the commercial VM software supports doing that. You would have to start over, yes.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Last Chance posted:

I'm fairly sure you'd have to do some serious work on your own to convert a virtual machine into a Bootcamp partition, I don't think any of the commercial VM software supports doing that. You would have to start over, yes.

V2P on Win10 you’ll likely need to relicense during the process anyway. Definitely agree that starting new is best

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Fallom posted:

Gmail in a browser window :q:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I use Spark but they're probably reading my e-mails or harvesting my data or some poo poo. It's pretty nice.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Bob Morales posted:

Gmail in a browser window :q:

Mailplane is this but better

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Gay Retard posted:

I use Spark but they're probably reading my e-mails or harvesting my data or some poo poo. It's pretty nice.

I do like Spark quite a bit, especially after the last update.

Canary is good too, especially if you want basic tracking.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

101 posted:

Mailplane is this but better

I prefer using Fluid app for that.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Fallom posted:

I'm using airmail for about three years now. It's pretty solid.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

If you care to the tune of $30/mo about having a really fast and productive email experience on macOS and iOS, Superhuman is quite good. Its offline support is better than Airmail’s especially, which is what I was using before.

$30 a month for email. lol.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I pay something like $24/yr at https://www.tuffmail.com/
Using a dedicated email host with a suite of configurable filters is really great. I've kept the same email address for over a decade and barely get any spam.
Simple MX hosting isn't what's being discussed though I think it is a great alternative to selling your life to Google.

If you live in your email for work, I could see how 30/mo might be worth it, if it's such a big improvement to your workflow ... Can't speak to the product though.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

pram posted:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does that $30 include hosting or is it just the client? Lol there’s no way an email client alone is worth $30/month.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 28, 2019

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i don't trust these random, scammy $x/month email clients of the week not to be reading my email but i'm a paranoid dipshit

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Last Chance posted:

i don't trust these random, scammy $x/month email clients of the week not to be reading my email but i'm a paranoid dipshit

Some also store your credentials on their "cache" servers. Seriously, be sure to check their privacy disclosures, especially if you use any of these for work email. There are several clients I can't use because they violate company policy.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

Some also store your credentials on their "cache" servers. Seriously, be sure to check their privacy disclosures, especially if you use any of these for work email. There are several clients I can't use because they violate company policy.

wow, great thats really cool :/

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Last Chance posted:

With that and my lack of RAM, I opted to run Windows 10 in Boot Camp. Unfortunately, it bombed out on installing Windows for some reason. I'm curious if it's what others have been running into with the .wim being too large to be read correctly from a FAT32 volume. I'm thinking about giving this a go, but I'm open to other approaches. I know Boot Camp has a bit of a reputation these days.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pram posted:

one of the best things I expense in terms of payoff, tbqh. fast, reliable offline email (and macros/snippets, and search that works usefully, etc) saves me meaningful time literally every day

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
My screenshots use to save to the desktop, and now even when I right click and say save to desktop, it doesn't seem to work. Where do I need to unfuck permissions so I can save my own drat files?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

IF.. you still use Aperture, iTunes, or iPhoto and want to use them in Catalina:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/10/28/free-retroactive-tool-brings-aperture-itunes-back-to-life-in-macos-catalina

This app will modify the above apps and copy the necessary support files to make them work in macOS 10.15..

Only caveats: you'll still have issues playing videos, can't export slideshows from iPhoto