Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

CPColin posted:

PG&E more like FY&D

So you can call me dumb but I never watched Erin Brokovitch and didn't realize the bad guy in that movie was also PG&E, it's insane they're still allowed to be in business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://www.sfchronicle.com/california-wildfires/article/PG-E-says-high-voltage-lines-were-still-on-when-14560113.php

quote:

Hours before the fire broke out east of Geyserville, PG&E had shut off its low-voltage distribution lines in that area as it put nearly 28,000 Sonoma County homes and businesses in the dark in order to prevent its equipment from starting a fire in extreme winds.

But PG&E did not turn off its 230,000-volt and 115,000-volt transmission lines in the area, the company said. Transmission lines carry electricity at high voltages across long distances before the power is stepped down at a substation and delivered to homes via distribution lines.

They turned off all the low voltage lines that actual power the town, but LEFT THE loving HIGH VOLTAGE LINES LIVE

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I feel like you could actually torch PG&E headquarters and have the people stand behind you

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

RevKrule posted:

https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1187507378037510144

How have we not nationalized them at this point???? Why have we spent so much time bending over backwards for this poo poo?

it's a slippery slope; what if we nationalize more stuff?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

The Glumslinger posted:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/california-wildfires/article/PG-E-says-high-voltage-lines-were-still-on-when-14560113.php

They turned off all the low voltage lines that actual power the town, but LEFT THE loving HIGH VOLTAGE LINES LIVE

Proof that the power shut downs are not even remotely about safety. They are and always have been solely intended to punish the people of California for daring to hold them responsible for their actions.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
PG&E DELENDA EST

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Is there a protest for the PG&E stuff? Because I really wanna show up with a sign that says

POWER TO THE PEOPLE
MUNICIPALIZE PG&E

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The power's just going to be out for three months

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Leperflesh posted:

I have very little sympathy for that couple, but it is bullshit that there's an appeal process for the appraisal of a house that is sold, but they can't access that appeal process because they don't live in the house they sold. That's going to bite a lot of other people on the rear end too, and property appraisal is itself often a kind of shady practice. Comps matter, but most appraisals don't even bother to go inside the house, so they can totally ignore poo poo that matters a lot like whether the kitchen is a dump or a fresh remodel.

What I'd like to see is the courts telling the county that they have to let the former owner of a property appeal its appraisal, but then after their appeal the appraisal still comes in low enough that those people have to keep paying tax; and of course, obviously, prop 90 is poo poo and should be repealed. Old rich people don't deserve special lower property taxes.
Roughly the same take here. I get pissed off about bureaucratic BS that pretty much denies due process like they claim but, y'know, $13 million is a lot of money so my sympathy is the tiniest violin kazoo.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I feel like you could actually torch PG&E headquarters and have the people stand behind you

They'll probably beat you to it at this rate

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Any word on ignition of the tick fire?
As a sand fire evacuee, this poo poo gets right old.

What's even older is my parents' "climate change isn't actually going to cause problems" bullshit.

This is climate change, everyone. Hammer that home to anyone who will listen. This is climate change, and it's literally only going to get worse in our lifetimes.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ardeem posted:

PG&E DELENDA EST

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The power's just going to be out for three months

https://twitter.com/RobMayeda/statu...D346%23lastpost

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Un-loving-real

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

Ardeem posted:

PG&E DELENDA EST

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm incredibly lucky to be in Livermore. Also my town is on fire right now.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

I'm incredibly lucky to be in Livermore. Also my town is on fire right now.

I'm near there and it smells like a loving camp fire outside

How the gently caress is PG&E a private business? Could they just burn themselves down instead of everyone else? Holy gently caress

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/Dis_mofuxa/status/1187587052025475072

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Once you turn the libertarians it's GAME OVER

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Ardeem posted:

PG&E DELENDA EST

Mods, thread title please

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Can’t they burn down Atherton next time. At least then they’d have accomplished something worthwhile

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Glumslinger posted:

Oh absolutely. I'll PM a mod and ask for it tonight if no one else does first.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i have heard you can just report the post and explain in the reason field that it'd make a good thread title

which, i have now done

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Literally everyone I know on the political spectrum in California (including insufferable neolib succdems and Chamber of Commerce Republicans) wants PG&E to be dismantled and its entire leadership strung up at this point. People are beyond pissed.

The only happy people are chuds in other states lusting for the death of their political enemies.

https://twitter.com/byfisted/status/1187575097906946048?s=21

ProperGanderPusher fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 25, 2019

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The central valley as a conduit? Unless you're counting Redding there's not much to catch fire there

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Literally everyone I know on the political spectrum in California (including insufferable neolib succdems and Chamber of Commerce Republicans) wants PG&E to be dismantled and its entire leadership strung up at this point. People are beyond pissed.

The only happy people are chuds in other states lusting for the death of their political enemies.

https://twitter.com/byfisted/status/1187575097906946048?s=21

Owning the libs by praying that the only major Republican part of the state burns to the ground

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Looks like there’s some organizing happening around nationalization (state-ization?) of PG&E

https://letsownpge.org/

quote:

OUR DEMANDS
No PG&E Bail-out

In profitable times, investors make billions each year from ratepayers. No public funds should be used to pay PG&E’s debts, and disaster-recovery costs should not be passed to ratepayers. It is unacceptable for investors to continue profiting handsomely while the working class and poor in California bear the brunt of disaster recovery efforts. We reject privatized gain with socialized risk.

Stop the bail-out

Public and Worker Control

When decisions are made by a small group of millionaire executives and billionaire investors with profit as the highest guiding principle, the results are predictable and disastrous for the rest of us. Decisions about our energy grid should be made democratically by the 16 million people who rely on it every day, as well as the 20,000 skilled workers who know how it works.

Publicly own PG&E

A Green New Deal

We must completely decarbonize the economy within 10 years to prevent the worst of catastrophic climate disruption, erasure of coastal cities, deadly firestorms, mass extinction, food shortages, and a global climate refugee crisis of unimaginable proportions.

PG&E’s executives and investors have resisted and lobbied against decarbonization at every turn, arguing that natural gas and coal must remain a significant part of their energy portfolio in order for them to remain profitable.

If we operate on investors’ timetable, necessary change will certainly come too late. Public ownership of utilities and provides the mechanism for a democratic and just transition to clean energy while also creating good paying union jobs — not someday, but now.

Strike a green new deal

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

I don't want to stop anyone from shutting on PG&E but the High Voltage (not the 14kv poo poo, but 100s of kv) lines are not something I'd expect to be shut down in all but the most extreme cases.

They are generally built with more resilient structures and *should* have wide swaths of cut away vegetation and access roads underneath them.

I suppose that last part is a huge assumption of PG&E, so please continue dunking on them.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

CopperHound posted:

please continue dunking on them

the preferred messaging is now "owning" or "publicly owning"

cf:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Publicly own PG&E, and publicly own its executives

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

The Glumslinger posted:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Ardeem posted:

PG&E DELENDA EST

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So how much blood is on PG&E's hands right now? Like throughout its pathetic history? Also why does it keep getting extra chances to murder people?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

GrandpaPants posted:

So how much blood is on PG&E's hands right now? Like throughout its pathetic history? Also why does it keep getting extra chances to murder people?

Because people haven't murdered them back.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My (Republican) Assembly member is co-authoring amendments to SB378 to get PG&E to reimburse people for their power outages (how is this not a thing already??) and some dipshits on Facebook are jumping to PG&E's defense.

I just added a comment suggesting that every time PG&E kills somebody, the current most wealthy board member shall have their assets seized and given to the victim's next-of-kin. Seems like that would get things turned around pretty quickly!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Apologies for the phone screenshots, but my parents have evacuated to my house.

So, just out of curiosity I looked on Google maps at tick canyon.

Hm, what's that? That there, in the north of the map.

Oh.

Fwiw, those look like SCE lines that are provably slated for updating.
From what I know from work, LADWP lines are older.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I'd cheer for getting the topic, but...

Ardeem posted:

PG&E DELENDA EST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
LOL

quote:

Pacific Gas and Electric stock tanked Friday following the news that company equipment on a transmission tower malfunctioned near the origin of the Kincade Fire in Sonoma County.

Shares fell more than 30 percent to $5.00 on worries that potential liabilities from the fire could wipe out investors and scuttle company efforts to emerge from bankruptcy. The stock was selling at nearly $50 a share about a year ago.

Citi analyst Praful Mehta said earlier this month that there was a 75% probability PG&E stock would fall to zero. He renewed the call Friday, saying "shareholders are worried — and should be," Bloomberg reported.