Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Thom and the Heads posted:

yeah can the three people who have seen the first 6 episodes like...chill for a few weeks

The other preview poster was nice and understanding when I asked this. Maoist has had a mod edit and continues to do it

E: and posting and spoilering the posts after announcing that youve seen the first 6 eps doesn't make you immune to it. The fact that you'd spoiler it reveals info and is just poor opsec really.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's also really loving easy to absent mindedly click a spoiler box if you've seen all of the aired episodes and assume spoiler boxes are for the benefit of people who haven't seen it yet.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

muscles like this! posted:

Stop posting spoilers

Seriously. I accidentally rolled over because I though it was a guess or theory without looking at the avatar.

If it hasn't aired why the heck are you posting spoilers.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
How will we know he is a reviewer?!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Preston Waters posted:

Folks, "Unforgettable" was in the movie because it was in the comics. It was literally on the TV commercial when Comedian gets his rear end beaten.

No it isn’t. It does appear for one panel when Dan and Laurie attempt sad gently caress number one, as part of a commercial for Nostalgia.

Blake’s death scene is silent each time it appears. There’s nothing visible on the tv except a vague human shape.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I vaguely hope that not everyone who believes in Rorschach’s diary is a 7th Kavalry member. That information being out in the world and only inspiring a KKK successor is sad.

But then, passing thought- are the 7th Kav not literally the titular watch men, taking lithium batteries out of watches?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
It still kinda blows my mind how good the cast is in this. I'm used to Regina King being great in a TV show, but I'm so happy to get several weeks worth of Tim Blake Nelson, Jean Smart and Jeremy Irons.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

No it isn’t. It does appear for one panel when Dan and Laurie attempt sad gently caress number one, as part of a commercial for Nostalgia.

Blake’s death scene is silent each time it appears. There’s nothing visible on the tv except a vague human shape.

Whatever. It's the gently caress song then. It's in the novel.

Anyway, continuing the black and white theme: what's black and white and red all over?

A: a field of dead, bullet-ridden cows

Preston Waters fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 25, 2019

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
On the rewatch, people were thinking that Jeremy Irons might be Manhattan because he was given the pocket watch -- on the contrary, I bet he left the designs out for mystery servant to find because he's a clone of Osterman, who then builds it no problem.

It was a test of sorts. I almost want to toxx on this. ALMOST.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Preston Waters posted:

Whatever. It's the gently caress song then. It's in the novel.

Anyway, continuing the black and white theme: what's black and white and red all over?

I didn't truly appreciate how totally hosed up those cows got until my second watch. Sister Night hiding behind that cow while it got absolutely shredded reminded me of Django Unchained.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Yea this show is full of symbolism just like the dang novel.

Veidt riding a galloping horse to a castle.

On the radio right before Sheriff gets murdered: "Hell if Joe, Jr. wants to mount up and gallop all the way to the White House, I say more power to 'em."

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I’m pretty skeptical of Irons=Manhattan but one big clue that lends credence to the theory is that fade from the starry night to the beach. This could indicate the Irons scene takes place elsewhere in the cosmos. Either way it was a brilliant panning dissolve.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Colonel Whitey posted:

I’m pretty skeptical of Irons=Manhattan but one big clue that lends credence to the theory is that fade from the starry night to the beach. This could indicate the Irons scene takes place elsewhere in the cosmos. Either way it was a brilliant panning dissolve.

It could also just be a transition shot.

Or it could mean that both Manhattan and Veidt are mirroring each other's actions.

Also since it seems obvious that the 105 year old guy was the child at the beginning: who are we thinking the baby is that he found? Sister Night's ancestor? Someone we haven't met yet? :thunk:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Preston Waters posted:

It could also just be a transition shot.

Or it could mean that both Manhattan and Veidt are mirroring each other's actions.

Also since it seems obvious that the 105 year old guy was the child at the beginning: who are we thinking the baby is that he found? Sister Night's ancestor? Someone we haven't met yet? :thunk:

My insane fan theory is that Dr Manhattan hosed off to create new life but he hosed up and just recreated the Earth and everything happened all over again including making another Dr Manhattan. It's like the Matrix or something and we're on DrM #7 or whatever.
:tinfoil:

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

My insane fan theory is that Dr Manhattan hosed off to create new life but he hosed up and just recreated the Earth and everything happened all over again including making another Dr Manhattan. It's like the Matrix or something and we're on DrM #7 or whatever.
:tinfoil:

Yea but then when the reveal could have been something really cool (matrix within a matrix) it'll get brushed away as something lame.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
My hot fan theory is why is it breaking news that Dr. Manhattan is on Mars he's been on Mars for like 30 years.

edit:

He left for another galaxy at the end of the book. I thought maybe it was a switcheroo and that was archival footage, but there was no cable news in 1985.

New fan theory is Dr. Manhattan is real and he scrambled my brain to make me forget what happened at the end of the comics.

Xanderkish fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 25, 2019

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Second fan theory is has anyone tried to eat the sky squids.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Xanderkish posted:

My hot fan theory is why is it breaking news that Dr. Manhattan is on Mars he's been on Mars for like 30 years.

He left for another galaxy at the end of the book. I thought maybe it was a switcheroo and that was archival footage, but there was no cable news in 1985.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Yea I think he just now returned to the Solar System

TCE
Feb 26, 2016

pyrotek posted:

The discussion over the last couple of pages made me check IMDB and I found out that Lindelof wrote Star Trek Into Darkness.

I enjoyed the first episode of this but I'm not sure that I can reconcile enjoying anything by someone that helped write that pile of trash.

That's what I keep thinking of when people say they're cagy about Irons being Ozymandias so he must not be. Like, this is the same writer who spent months insisting Khan wasn't Khan when it turned out he really was Khan. Maybe he's just being coy when he doesn't have to be.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The problem with writing a surprise into your story is that people will always guess it unless it’s dumb.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
My theory is that the guy who looks like Ozymandias 30 years later, talks like Ozymandias 30 years later, and appears to be living a life in all respects consistent with Ozymandias 30 years later is actually one of the vagina squids who took on the body of its creator after murdering him Blade Runner style.

Presumably after Ozymandias tried to eat him, as any god-fearing American would.

Xanderkish fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 25, 2019

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The problem with writing a surprise into your story is that people will always guess it unless it’s dumb.

Changing your script because some rear end in a top hat on reddit guessed it is a guaranteed way to make a bad script. Just let the dude be smug about guessing it and everybody who didn't read that reddit thread won't even care or notice and the show would still be good.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Agent355 posted:

Changing your script because some rear end in a top hat on reddit guessed it is a guaranteed way to make a bad script. Just let the dude be smug about guessing it and everybody who didn't read that reddit thread won't even care or notice and the show would still be good.

And also people will watch years later if it’s good. I shouldn’t say that it’s actually a problem.

Has Lost had any staying power at all? Do zoomers ever watch it?

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Also it tracks that a dude who thinks himself vastly smarter than everyone else would seclude himself far away from other people with only his moron sex bots to keep him company. He's got better technology, but functionally he's the same as a dude with one of those weird anime body pillows who insists his parents don't understand their love.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Xanderkish posted:

Also it tracks that a dude who thinks himself vastly smarter than everyone else would seclude himself far away from other people with only his moron sex bots to keep him company. He's got better technology, but functionally he's the same as a dude with one of those weird anime body pillows who insists his parents don't understand their love.

That's a pretty vivid description...

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Agent355 posted:

Changing your script because some rear end in a top hat on reddit guessed it is a guaranteed way to make a bad script.

*Shakespeare writing Julius Caesar*
Some guy looking over his shoulder: Hey, didn't that guy get stabbed?
Shakespeare: Ah gently caress *tears up the page he was working on*

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Agent355 posted:

Pretty much this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyanTVqlJ2o

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Xanderkish posted:

My theory is that the guy who looks like Ozymandias 30 years later, talks like Ozymandias 30 years later, and appears to be living a life in all respects consistent with Ozymandias 30 years later is actually one of the vagina squids who took on the body of its creator after murdering him Blade Runner style.

Presumably after Ozymandias tried to eat him, as any god-fearing American would.

I’d argue against this, but the reminder as to how the Khan reveal was handled is the exact scenario I’m trying to suggest wouldn’t make any sense narratively, so who knows?

Mysterious character who everyone familiar with the source material instantly knows is a certain character, and everyone who isn’t familiar with the source material wouldn’t find any narrative weight in a reveal of a character they don’t know anything about.

Klungar fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 26, 2019

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Agent355 posted:

I remember when the original ending of the Terminator Salvation script leaked they changed it to something much more boring due to the backlash. If you're going to be bad, at least be bad and interesting.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

LesterGroans posted:

I remember when the original ending of the Terminator Salvation script leaked they changed it to something much more boring due to the backlash. If you're going to be bad, at least be bad and interesting.

I vaguely remember this? What was the original ending again?

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

I feel all this discussion of the show is missing one of the finer things in the first episode: 'Milk & Hanoi' is an excellent pun name for a Vietnamese bakery. Just top shelf.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
IIRC, John Connor dies, and because nobody's seen him in so long due to him being in hiding, the experimental Terminator swaps places with him and leads the resistance against the machines. So the events of every previous Terminator film would be recontextualized. Also maybe they swapped faces or hearts or something? Either way, a lot more interesting than what we got. Though I think that Bale being cast as Connor and wanting to amp up the prominence of his part had as much to do with the radical changes as the fans throwing a fit online did.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

masterpine posted:

I feel all this discussion of the show is missing one of the finer things in the first episode: 'Milk & Hanoi' is an excellent pun name for a Vietnamese bakery. Just top shelf.

What's the pun

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's the pun

A land of milk and honey.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hahaha I'm dumb as gently caress. Or I've been pronouncing Hanoi wrong for years

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
If it's called Milk & Hanoi then Bob's Burgers must be next door in this universe

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

feedmyleg posted:

IIRC, John Connor dies, and because nobody's seen him in so long due to him being in hiding, the experimental Terminator swaps places with him and leads the resistance against the machines. So the events of every previous Terminator film would be recontextualized. Also maybe they swapped faces or hearts or something? Either way, a lot more interesting than what we got. Though I think that Bale being cast as Connor and wanting to amp up the prominence of his part had as much to do with the radical changes as the fans throwing a fit online did.

Yeah, the original leak was "John Connor dies, they graft Connor's face on the Sam Worthington Terminator's body and only the people closest to him know it's a ruse." If you believe McG, in post-release interviews, this would have been doubly subverted by having Skynet retake control of "John Connor" at the very end and having him kill the other surviving heroes. (This definitely feels like a bullshit spin to make the "No, no, we weren't reacting to snap judgements on the internet" story play out.)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Preston Waters posted:

Dark Waters confirmed canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Also, it wasn't the anniversary of anything. It's Veidt's birthday, his weirdass servants don't know the difference.