Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CopperHound posted:

I don't want to stop anyone from shutting on PG&E but the High Voltage (not the 14kv poo poo, but 100s of kv) lines are not something I'd expect to be shut down in all but the most extreme cases.

They are generally built with more resilient structures and *should* have wide swaths of cut away vegetation and access roads underneath them.

I suppose that last part is a huge assumption of PG&E, so please continue dunking on them.

lmao the high-voltage transmission line that failed & caused the Camp Fire was 99 years old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Fly Molo posted:

lmao the high-voltage transmission line that failed & caused the Camp Fire was 99 years old

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class at PG&E, and I've been involved in numerous secret shutoffs on California, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I'm the top Power company in the entire US . You are nothing to me but just another shut-off target. I will shut off your power with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my loving words. You think you can get away with saying that poo poo to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of power plants across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the 80 MPH wind-storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your power. You're loving dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can turn off your power in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in power shutoff, but I have access to the entire grid of the United Statesand I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable rear end off the face of the continent, you little poo poo. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your loving tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will poo poo fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're loving powerless kiddo.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Remember that time in the 50s when PG&E wanted to build a nuclear plant on top of the San Andreas fault? https://www.sonomamag.com/nuclear-fault-line/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJLDKKmos5Y

xarph fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 26, 2019

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class at PG&E, and I've been involved in numerous secret shutoffs on California, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I'm the top Power company in the entire US . You are nothing to me but just another shut-off target. I will shut off your power with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my loving words. You think you can get away with saying that poo poo to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of power plants across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the 80 MPH wind-storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your power. You're loving dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can turn off your power in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in power shutoff, but I have access to the entire grid of the United Statesand I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable rear end off the face of the continent, you little poo poo. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your loving tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will poo poo fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're loving powerless kiddo.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Even if the stock had a negative valuation I think it would still be a bad deal. It’s going to take years to catch up on all the deferred maintenance and in the meantime they’re on the hook for any fires that can be blamed on their old rear end janky equipment, and also whatever liability there is from cutting service.

(Not coincidentally this is also why I’m a little nervous about the idea of the state taking them over)

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I’m thinking about that Enron documentary where they interviewed a bunch of regular joes who had their pensions and life savings in funds that were heavily invested in Enron. Executives had inside information and cashed out immediately with relatively few consequences and plenty of money. I’m wondering if the same thing will happen again with this.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Family Values posted:

Even if the stock had a negative valuation I think it would still be a bad deal. It’s going to take years to catch up on all the deferred maintenance and in the meantime they’re on the hook for any fires that can be blamed on their old rear end janky equipment, and also whatever liability there is from cutting service.

(Not coincidentally this is also why I’m a little nervous about the idea of the state taking them over)
It doesn't matter. The state is going to be on the hook for what needs to be done regardless. Either the company goes bankrupt being held liable for their negligence and fixing the infrastructure, or the state pays for it directly after taking over. Might as well cut out the vampires asap.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Family Values posted:

That will be paid for by the consumers either way. I don't live in PG&E administrated areas anymore but I'd prefer to pay taxes towards it rather than saddle NorCal consumers with that liability, which is what happens under continued PG&E control.

The benefit of taking control sooner is that the decade+ of maintenance backlog can start to be addressed. Climate change is here and will continue to make Cali a tinderbox so PG&E's dogshit practices are riskier the longer they go unaddressed.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

And don't forget that even if PG&E stays solvent and somehow pays every penny of liability and maintenance the bought and paid for PUC will let them raise rates as high as they want to compensate.

gently caress 'em all, take the whole thing over, break it up into municipal-controlled, non-profit entities, and start using whatever funds we get out of the still kicking corpse to update the infrastructure.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
People with SMUD etc will undoubtedly bitch about their taxes being used to fix PG&E and why did the rest of the state let it get so bad, etc.

But you can either fix it with taxes or put the fires out with taxes.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Family Values posted:

No, no, no.

PG&E is already more or less "on the hook" for liabilities that exceed their value. As more of their lovely infrastructure burns poo poo down--and it will--there is absolutely no way they will be able to pay for it, which means they wont! And to the extent that they do, shareholders will be paid long before their customers or victims. By declaring bankruptcy, and proceeding along any sort of plan other than outright public ownership, they can at least transfer ownership of their garbo assets and infrastructure to another for-profit entity who can resurrect the vampire.

Under public ownership, the taxpayer will ultimately be liable for the damages caused by the lovely poo poo they now own, but unlike the present situation they will actually have the power (and incentive) to do something about it.

As far as deferred maintenance etc., It's going to take *anyone* not years, but decades, to unfuck the infrastructure here. All the more reason to do so under an ownership and funding structure that fundamentally recognizes the importance of that work as an urgent public good and not a vehicle for producing shareholder value to be meted out according to quarterly earnings.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Morbus posted:

By declaring bankruptcy, and proceeding along any sort of plan other than outright public ownership, they can at least transfer ownership of their garbo assets and infrastructure to another for-profit entity who can resurrect the vampire.

Is there anything to stop them selling all their power generation assets and the lines which aren't at risk of starting fires to Totally Unrelated Gas and Electric for $1 right now? I guess the majority of shareholders wouldn't like it very much, and they are the most important people after all :suicide:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
So I casually (and not literally) suggested to someone that PG&E's board members should be :commissar: for incompetence and they replied with something about a California law that says after a fire they have to inspect every single something or other in the state and that keeps them from blah blah blah bullshit. Does anyone know if there's an actual law about this, and if there is, how did it get distorted into a corporate bootlicker talking point?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Morbus posted:

No, no, no.

PG&E is already more or less "on the hook" for liabilities that exceed their value. As more of their lovely infrastructure burns poo poo down--and it will--there is absolutely no way they will be able to pay for it, which means they wont! And to the extent that they do, shareholders will be paid long before their customers or victims. By declaring bankruptcy, and proceeding along any sort of plan other than outright public ownership, they can at least transfer ownership of their garbo assets and infrastructure to another for-profit entity who can resurrect the vampire.

Under public ownership, the taxpayer will ultimately be liable for the damages caused by the lovely poo poo they now own, but unlike the present situation they will actually have the power (and incentive) to do something about it.

As far as deferred maintenance etc., It's going to take *anyone* not years, but decades, to unfuck the infrastructure here. All the more reason to do so under an ownership and funding structure that fundamentally recognizes the importance of that work as an urgent public good and not a vehicle for producing shareholder value to be meted out according to quarterly earnings.
Victims during bankruptcy are administrative claimants, meaning they jump to the very front of the line and have to be paid out before the bankruptcy proceedings can occur. So if the Kincaid fire does turn out to have been caused by PG&E as it currently appears to have been, then victims of this fire are the highest priority to be paid, even before the Camp Fire victims that PG&E filed for bankruptcy to avoid paying in the first place, and PG&E can't pay out shareholders before paying out Kincaid fire victims.

Buttcoin purse posted:

Is there anything to stop them selling all their power generation assets and the lines which aren't at risk of starting fires to Totally Unrelated Gas and Electric for $1 right now? I guess the majority of shareholders wouldn't like it very much, and they are the most important people after all :suicide:
The judge administering the bankruptcy would have to approve it too.

PG&E is hosed from all their negligence, and the state is going to wind up paying for it, but because they've hosed up in such a colossal manner, the state does actually have a chance to just step in and take over to tell them they can't keep loving people over like this anymore.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

fermun posted:

Victims during bankruptcy are administrative claimants, meaning they jump to the very front of the line and have to be paid out before the bankruptcy proceedings can occur. So if the Kincaid fire does turn out to have been caused by PG&E as it currently appears to have been, then victims of this fire are the highest priority to be paid, even before the Camp Fire victims that PG&E filed for bankruptcy to avoid paying in the first place, and PG&E can't pay out shareholders before paying out Kincaid fire victims.

The judge administering the bankruptcy would have to approve it too.

PG&E is hosed from all their negligence, and the state is going to wind up paying for it, but because they've hosed up in such a colossal manner, the state does actually have a chance to just step in and take over to tell them they can't keep loving people over like this anymore.

Yes that's a good point, and explains why they were so gung-ho about the shutoffs in the first place.

But in any case, a privately owned PG&E, in whatever form, simply is not going to be able to maintain solvency after the inevitable liabilities keep pilling up. In any kind of sensible world, they would be taken over by the state because its really the only option. But I'd say its 50/50 that we just get an endless parade of restructured vampires that keep setting poo poo on fire until they go bankrupt, because from a political point of view nobody in the government wants to be responsible for this bag of exploding poo poo.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

:laffo:

Maybe had they worried about maintaining and updating infrastructure they wouldn't be in this boat right now.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PGE's queue for who gets what they're owed paid goes like this:

1. administrative claimants, as fermun explained
2. maybe bondholders (senior debt) or maybe victims, or both
3. shareholders get what's left

The focus is too much on shareholders. They're already hosed. It's the bondholders effectively calling the shots right now, and they went to the bankruptcy judge recently with a deal they'd worked with some of the lawyers for the previous victims: basically, a better deal for the victims than what PG&E was proposing, but also a much much better deal for the bondholders, in that they propose to grab a majority stake in the company away from the stockholders. The current executives have a legal responsibility to do what they can to emerge from chapter 11 and reward shareholders with a solvent company that can make them profits; so they are going to fight to reduce payouts to victims, even if that's morally wrong, because it's their legal duty to try to get as much debt discharged as possible for as little payout as possible.

In addition, after previous disasters like the san bruno gas explosion, the state passed laws prohibiting PG&E from passing the costs of compensating victims on to ratepayers (all other costs are effectively passed to ratepayers, plus a built-in guaranteed profit margin, which is one of the things that makes it utterly hosed up that PG&E is a privately-held company). This is why the company's in bankruptcy at all: absent that law, the company could have reached a settlement with the victims and then just raised everyone's rates to pay for it.

Finally, do keep in mind that PG&E has a brand new CEO, and turnover by executives is common; this means that no matter what happens, the actual humans who ran the company to maximize profits at the expense of safety are either long gone with their pockets stuffed, or on their way out with their pockets stuffed, but definitely not going to suffer at all. Like, as much as we want them to suffer, it's very very hard to pierce the corporate veil and assign liability directly to executives; that did happen with Enron but it took ages and what the execs went to jail for was the fraud they committed prior to and during the investigation. There's no indications I'm aware of that PG&E execs committed major fraud, they just... didn't spend money to update or maintain stuff whenever they didn't have to or could get away with it, more or less legally. In a court they'd claim they were doing their duty to their shareholders. Essentially what happened was completely predictable, and the fault is with the state and voters for setting us up with a privately-held guaranteed-profit monopoly utility in the first place.

So, as much as we'd like it to happen, I think it's very unlikely that any execs will suffer for what they did. Pragmatically we should probably try to focus on the political options for breaking up PG&E and wresting control of our utilities back from the not-actually-free market.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Oct 26, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Guns don’t kill people.
PG&E kills people.

Roseville electric rules.

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Guns don’t kill people.
PG&E kills people.

:patriot: My tiny, 2,000 customer irrigation/electric district is going to be the only area with power for 100 miles

3/4 of the state will be without power but these almond orchards are going to stay watered at all costs

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Thank God Fresno is so lovely wildfires avoid it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Gen. Ripper posted:

Thank God Fresno is so lovely wildfires avoid it.

Luckily dust isn’t flammable.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
Fresno gets its share whenever sequoia or kings canyon national parks catch on fire, as they often do.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Guns don’t kill people.
PG&E kills people.

Does this mean that if people were able to set PG&E executives houses/money on fire, PG&E would stop setting our houses on fire?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Boot and Rally posted:

Does this mean that if people were able to set PG&E executives houses/money on fire, PG&E would stop setting our houses on fire?

Only you can prevent forest fires... by setting PG&E Executives on fire.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

BeAuMaN posted:

Only you can prevent forest fires... by setting PG&E Executives on fire.

That's called a California Controlled Burn

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

So I've been keeping an eye on PG&E's weather page since their PSPS updates page is absolutely useless, and came across this gem:

quote:

Yet another offshore wind event is possible Tuesday into Wednesday. Although not as strong as the current event, wind gusts in the 40-50 mph range are possible across the central and northern portions of the territory. Dead fuel moistures are near historical low values and live fuel moisture remains at or below critical values, making them highly susceptible to ignition and explosive fire spread.
So I'm guessing that northern cali's going to get power back maybe Thursday. Just in time to get power inevitably shut off for the weekend.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Hard for the affected people to coordinate and form an angry mob when social media requires electricity

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
It's a once in a generation wind storm, not seen since 2017 when the wine country fires broke out. Oh, btw it was 30 degrees hotter in Sonoma county the day those fires broke out than it is today.

Seriously, the day before those fires started, my car read 113F in Petaluma.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The Glumslinger posted:

It's a once in a generation wind storm, not seen since 2017 when the wine country fires broke out. Oh, btw it was 30 degrees hotter in Sonoma county the day those fires broke out than it is today.

quote:

It's a once in a generation wind storm, not seen since 2017

quote:

not seen since 2017

Perhaps PG&E should've built a power grid capable of withstanding something that happens twice in three years.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Complications posted:

Perhaps PG&E should've built a power grid capable of withstanding something that happens twice in three years.

Yeah, that sounds cool, but have you heard of stock dividends?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Hard for the affected people to coordinate and form an angry mob when social media requires electricity

Print out the addresses of the PG&E execs and start posting them at evacuation centers

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Chiming in on the gently caress PG&E bandwagon and also gently caress the CPUC. They are owned part and parcel by PG&E and its disgusting how derelict in their duties they've been.

Funny story I used to work with the CPUC in one of their other regulatory areas and they were the most incompetent, unprofessional, and lazy people I've ever worked with. And I worked in the public sector for a while. As a public sector employee I was embarrassed to even be associated with them.

They would routinely fall asleep during meetings even with their managers in the room. One guy answered his phone multiple times and talked loudly during a meeting with a bunch of local, state, and federal directors in it completely oblivious to everyone staring at him in disbelief and frustration. I was amazed.

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 26, 2019

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

So I casually (and not literally) suggested to someone that PG&E's board members should be :commissar: for incompetence and they replied with something about a California law that says after a fire they have to inspect every single something or other in the state and that keeps them from blah blah blah bullshit. Does anyone know if there's an actual law about this, and if there is, how did it get distorted into a corporate bootlicker talking point?

So I did find this from the CPUC which requires a yearly patrol of urban power lines and an inspection every 3-5 years

https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/General.aspx?id=7719

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kincade Fire update: 2 entire cities under mandatory evacuation, 50,000+ people, and the evacuation prep zone extends all the way from the Kincade Fire to the pacific coast.

Holy gently caress

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Fly Molo posted:

Kincade Fire update: 2 entire cities under mandatory evacuation, 50,000+ people, and the evacuation prep zone extends all the way from the Kincade Fire to the pacific coast.

Holy gently caress

Another $50 billion liability on PG&E for the pile, I guess. Hopefully by the time this shakes out shareholders get literally nothing and PG&E ends up nationalized.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Keep in mind they're being very cautious with this one. The good news is that this is mostly a wilderness area with low population and wineries. The one two years ago was blowing through suburbs.

They told everybody living on the northern edge of the Santa Rosa sprawl to head downtown so they don't get ambushed the way that Fountaingrove residents were in 2017.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Guess who's behind letsownpge ?

The Democratic Socialists of America. :laffo:

Charged a ridiculous number of devices; am now down to my Kindle and electric toothbrush. Whee. Didn't realize that a fridge would only keep things safe for 4 hours; thought it was 12. Taking this as an opportunity to declare fridge amnesty.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Man, Jenner, Fort Ross and Bodega Bay are in the potential evacuation zone... I wonder what the insurance on a two hundred year old wooden fortress is like.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I didn't sign up on it because I was afraid it was a giant honey pot, so I'm glad to see its being organized by the right people

I'm also sitting here in disbelief that the PSPS website keeps saying I won't lose power despite repeated texts saying 99% of Marin County is going to lose power. Guess I'm now part of the 1% :20bux:

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Well yeah, who would you expect to put it up? PG&E's competition?