Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

EBB posted:

The carbon footprint of that sandwich would make Greta scream

Yeah it’s bad, especially how costly and dull it was. I think there was something about needing enough miles within a certain timeframe, which made it like trying to reach level 99 in a game you don’t like before it had to be returned to Blockbuster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
We call that number go up in 2019

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

This also goes with the narrative of him taking Eric or Don Jr. to a Yankees game when they were in college, and then smacking them around for wearing a jersey and telling them "go put on a loving suit."
It was Diaper Don.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Bored As gently caress posted:

It's that and also because the ball wouldn't make it 15 feet, and he'd probably trip and fall while throwing it

It's also that no one ever asked him to throw the first pitch

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah it’s bad, especially how costly and dull it was. I think there was something about needing enough miles within a certain timeframe, which made it like trying to reach level 99 in a game you don’t like before it had to be returned to Blockbuster.

Right, you generally need to fly a certain amount each year. It could actually save money because depending on levels they could be going from waiving same day change fees or baggage fees or even a club membership.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Buttcoin purse posted:

The fact that rats are stressed at all is news to me, am I supposed to be giving them meds?

Maybe those researchers should put a million rats in little rat cars all trying to get to the same place at the same time and then see whether it makes them less anxious.

I'm pretty sure that the takeaway of the study is that having hobbies creates chemical changes in the body affecting stress and also increasing cognitive function.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Flikken posted:

It's also that no one ever asked him to throw the first pitch

I think the white members of the Red Sox might.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Tyro posted:

I had a coworker who did that, except she flew from DC to Bangkok, ate a sandwich, and came back.

:shrug:

I did the same thing like two years ago when I was 2 segments off a status tier. Miami to tampa, poopd in a lounge and drank beer for an hour, tampa to miami. It's often not worth doing so any more and mileage runs are nearly extinct in biz travel now apart from very narrow circumstances.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

MrYenko posted:

:hfive:

gently caress lionfish. I’m from Fort Lauderdale, and I say KILL EM ALL.

Anyone ever have lionfish? Kinda curious if they taste good.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Right, you generally need to fly a certain amount each year. It could actually save money because depending on levels they could be going from waiving same day change fees or baggage fees or even a club membership.

And the flight somewhere and right back is generally called a mileage run. But the airlines are shifting away from status based on distance travelled. Right now it's a combination of distance travelled and amount spent and the trend is moving more toward straight spend. In a few years it will likely just be about total dollars spent and distance won't be a factor. That shift however is eliminating the mileage run as a thing. When it was just distance, people would try to find a super cheap fare with a long distance and go for it. Right now, the people who are likely to end up a bit short on mileage are likely to be travellers who will be way short on the spend requirements. There are still some tricks to work around this but almost all of them involve international travel and higher fare classes. It used to be something where someone might spend $100 or $200 to do it, but now it's going be more likely to cost $1000 to $2000 to do it. I'm sure there will still be some weird edge cases where the $100 flight still gets it done for someone but the number of people doing those flights has generally been trending downward.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

BigDave posted:

I have. They're tasty :) I cooked them up in vegetables and sauces/spices like a stir fry, but they're supposed to be really good in ceviche too. The intern I work with grinds them up and makes taco meat out of them, she says its really good. There was a place I drove by in Bonaire earlier this month that makes burgers out of them, but we didn't get there before closing any of the days I was there :(

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

BigDave posted:

I've seen restaurants advertising lion fish soup before but I've never tried it.

And yeah, gently caress lion fish in non-indian ocean oceans

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

My fiancée (soon to be wife in a few hours hooooly poo poo lol) says her backup plan if her career goes to poo poo is to open a restaurant where all the dishes are based around invasive species. Lionfish sorbet anyone?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

My fiancée (soon to be wife in a few hours hooooly poo poo lol) says her backup plan if her career goes to poo poo is to open a restaurant where all the dishes are based around invasive species. Lionfish sorbet anyone?

:toot:

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Thomamelas posted:

And the flight somewhere and right back is generally called a mileage run. But the airlines are shifting away from status based on distance travelled. Right now it's a combination of distance travelled and amount spent and the trend is moving more toward straight spend. In a few years it will likely just be about total dollars spent and distance won't be a factor. That shift however is eliminating the mileage run as a thing.

Yup, it will screw government travelers too, with the mandatory city pair rates. Glad I got off the 100K+ mile a year travel train when I did.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Hell you had people who made a profit just flying obscene mileage runs and getting multipliers from rewards cards and programs and then using them all for free vacations. It was insane.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

"DURRRRR, YOU'RE EITHER UNINFORMED OR MISINFORMED, NEWS IS BAD!!"

I hate when idiots want to talk politics at drill.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

"DURRRRR, YOU'RE EITHER UNINFORMED OR MISINFORMED, NEWS IS BAD!!"

I hate when idiots want to talk politics at drill.

Well there's your problem

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Well there's your problem
In an uncertain future I'd like to have some kind of pension, small as it may be.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Congrats man!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

wait anyone see vas lately

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

At a yellow ribbon event and there’s always one doofus asking ten thousand “what if” questions.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

At a yellow ribbon event and there’s always one doofus asking ten thousand “what if” questions.

I hope you at least traveled somewhere you wanted to go for it or it is close enough to not be a hassle. We were able to visit friends and see a nearby city where'd wanted to go see

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

I hope you at least traveled somewhere you wanted to go for it or it is close enough to not be a hassle. We were able to visit friends and see a nearby city where'd wanted to go see

No, utter bullshit trip to Spokane. Who the gently caress wants to fly to Spokane?
We dropped a bill at ClinkerDagger for dinner last night, it was delicious. Try the wagu meatloaf Wellington if you get a chance.
Other than that we could have watched this from VTC and spoke with people on the phone.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Grats! Bowties are the best traditional fidget spinner to occupy you for the 45 minutes before you walk down to the aisle

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

I skipped the one for my last mobilization because lol no I'm not going to goddamn Fort Worth.
Gonna skip this one too because lol Fort Worth again? Or Norfolk as the next option? gently caress you.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Didn’t think I had an option.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

It's good to meet people in person, assign faces to names, and so forth, but the military has spoiled this by making many offices so min-manned that most of the time on the road it's just like "welp I wonder how high the endless pile is right now."

Also mandatory fun on business trips. Just give downtime and people will figure it out.

Congratulations! I hope she throws a bouquet of wisteria and Japanese honeysuckle :v:

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

As an aside, “just give downtime to people and let them figure it out” is, in hindsight, the dumbest loving directive you can give a bunch of enlisted combat arms idiots.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

Didn’t think I had an option.

My option is not loving going to any yellow ribbon events.
They didn't make me last time and this time I'm a terminal O4.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

My option is not loving going to any yellow ribbon events.
They didn't make me last time and this time I'm a terminal O4.

Oh well E5. So yeah

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Congrats PWW!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Kesper North posted:

I love diving.

The coldest dive I've ever done was Silfrá fissure in Iceland:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silfra

They say "can be comfortably dived in a dry suit" by I say my rear end like hell, any human being gets an instant ice cream headache when they put their face in 36 degree water.

That said, totally worth it.

The coolest dive I've ever done: There are a few dive operators that offer "blackwater" dives where you go at night and dive in 5-10,000 foot deep water. Everyone is clipped to a series of lines hanging off the sides of the boat with a carabiner hooked to your BCD, so you're not about to get lost or anything unless you do something real dumb.

I've done it twice, and both times I spent the first couple of minutes sucking down half my air as I stared into the black infinity that surrounds our tiny lights and our little boat and try to get a grip on myself before I relax and find it mindblowingly cool. Though if you stare out into that black water too much you can feel the willies start billowing up again as your brain tries to find patterns in emptiness. The water and the stuff suspended in it absorbs what precious illumination you have, so you really get the impression that blackness is just sucking the light away. You feel very, very tiny, and you never know whether something at the very limits of your light's reach is a bit of trash, more plankton, a school of squid or pod of bottlenose dolphin, or something hungry.

Apparently t's not uncommon for big pelagics to get curious. They have even had threshers show up and start to behave aggressively, and everyone gets out of the water real drat quick when that happens. I've never been lucky/unlucky enough to have anything big come visit, but it's quite an experience without seeing any large animal life. Plus the plankton you see is sometimes quite large and truly surreal, alien stuff. The most defining aspect of it to me though is how vividly you can feel you mind looking for patterns in all that emptiness, and imagining monsters in every pale curdle in the dark.

11/10 I loving love cosmic horror, I'll do it a third time when I make it back to Kona.

This was super interesting to read about, just saying

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

colachute posted:

As an aside, “just give downtime to people and let them figure it out” is, in hindsight, the dumbest loving directive you can give a bunch of enlisted combat arms idiots.

good lord, you let them leave the base?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The coolest thing I ever saw diving was Whale Sharks in Thailand. They loving rule and are easy to keep up with as long as you don't try to follow their changes in depth

Also got caught in a pack of bull sharks. I pretty much pissed and poo poo myself at the same time when I realized those long dark shapes in the blue were 2-3m long sharks.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

MA-Horus posted:

The coolest thing I ever saw diving was Whale Sharks in Thailand. They loving rule and are easy to keep up with as long as you don't try to follow their changes in depth

Also got caught in a pack of bull sharks. I pretty much pissed and poo poo myself at the same time when I realized those long dark shapes in the blue were 2-3m long sharks.

I dove with whale sharks once and it was amazing.

Didn't have to worry about depth changes because it was at the Georgia Aquarium.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Probably safer in the tank than without it

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
While we're on the subject The Last Dive is one of my favorite books

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I don't know how the hell you get the stones to dive. It always sounds cool, but when I get to really thinking about it, no. That would be terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BigDave posted:

Lionfish is supposed to be really tasty but I dunno if I want to eat lionfish when apparently they are a concentration point for ciguatera, which is pretty nasty.