Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Ugh. Oh well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
It's clear Dorsey is the one with the most power in the organization after the owner. Usually it's the head coach who creates the gameday rosters, not the GM

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

wandler20 posted:

Let Monken call the plays you cowards!

God loving dammit I wish the Jets had hired Monken so badly. He’s going to waste in Cleveland.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Professor Funk posted:

God loving dammit I wish the Jets had hired Monken so badly. He’s going to waste in Cleveland.

I don't really get why Monken got some hype last offseason. Couple years full time offensive coordinator with the Buccaneers and a couple years as an HC at a G5 school and mostly a positional coach otherwise I get his year in Cleveland was supposed to make him look super legit for the coaching jobs next year but man does he really scream "next offensive mastermind!" in the exact way Kitchens did.

Mega64 posted:

Don't the Patriots do poo poo like this constantly?

Not while fining players for getting surgery.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I don't really get why Monken got some hype last offseason. Couple years full time offensive coordinator with the Buccaneers and a couple years as an HC at a G5 school and mostly a positional coach otherwise I get his year in Cleveland was supposed to make him look super legit for the coaching jobs next year but man does he really scream "next offensive mastermind!" in the exact way Kitchens did

It’s mostly the bucket hats. But I do see the point that the same issue as Kitchens seems to have might be there, ie he just can’t handle being the CEO.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
LaFleur didn't look so hot after an underwhelming stint as the Titans OC last season, but the Packers are looking drat good now.

Of course, most of that was probably because you can only do so much with the Titans offense.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Bucs quietly had one of the league's best passing offenses last year despite Jameis and Fitzmagic playing musical chairs, the Monken hype didn't come from nowhere.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Benne posted:

The Bucs quietly had one of the league's best passing offenses last year despite Jameis and Fitzmagic playing musical chairs, the Monken hype didn't come from nowhere.

And when Dirk took over calling the plays there was a huge difference in production.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Don't the Patriots do poo poo like this constantly?

Belichick’s gimmick is to list the entire 53 man roster as “questionable” every week due to sore dicks or whatever made up extremely real malady. It’s transparent but I guess comes from the same place as Reid having Mahomes “practice” and not ruling him out til the last minute. Trying to make the other team waste time prepping for a different version of the team than will actually take the field.

Listing a player as “doubtful” who just underwent very public season ending surgery is just some kind of weird passive aggressive shot at the guy.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Docjowles posted:

Belichick’s gimmick is to list the entire 53 man roster as “questionable” every week due to sore dicks or whatever made up extremely real malady. It’s transparent but I guess comes from the same place as Reid having Mahomes “practice” and not ruling him out til the last minute. Trying to make the other team waste time prepping for a different version of the team than will actually take the field.

Listing a player as “doubtful” who just underwent very public season ending surgery is just some kind of weird passive aggressive shot at the guy.

lmao he does this because jim Mora jr. of all people faked him out by listing vick as questionable and then his defense couldn't stop........MATT SCHAUB!!?!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
The greatest thing was Brady being listed as “Shoulder - Questionable” for like every single team activity for five straight seasons, and the very first game where the NFL changed the rules and made them stop listing Brady is when Bernard Pollard entered our lives and our hearts forever. :allears:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Mega64 posted:

LaFleur didn't look so hot after an underwhelming stint as the Titans OC last season, but the Packers are looking drat good now.

Of course, most of that was probably because you can only do so much with the Titans offense.

I'm gonna need to see more than half a season to decide if Lafleur is actually good. Dan Quinn looked good early on too. So did Matt Nagy.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I'm gonna need to see more than half a season to decide if Lafleur is actually good. Dan Quinn looked good early on too. So did Matt Nagy.

He's doing better than Fat Mike would've. I'm happy.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mega64 posted:

It's not even a new thing, really -- Mike McCarthy was the OC of the 30th-ranked 2005 49ers offense before coming to the Packers and revitalizing Favre's career and kickstarting Rodgers towards the 2010 Super Bowl.

Honestly I think a huge part of it is just simply bringing in new blood to the organization. Someone posted an article a couple days ago outlining just how thoroughly the Packers have been shaken free from their rust and inertia.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

Honestly I think a huge part of it is just simply bringing in new blood to the organization. Someone posted an article a couple days ago outlining just how thoroughly the Packers have been shaken free from their rust and inertia.

and sent most of the scouts some positional coaches and ALMOST McCarthy to Cleveland.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Packers were one of those teams that technically weren't bad, but desperately needed a fresh coat of paint and new ideas to extend their contention window.

Jury may be out on LaFleur, but I'm not surprised that Rodgers is finally starting to look like his old self again.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

fartknocker posted:

The greatest thing was Brady being listed as “Shoulder - Questionable” for like every single team activity for five straight seasons, and the very first game where the NFL changed the rules and made them stop listing Brady is when Bernard Pollard entered our lives and our hearts forever. :allears:

Yeah his career was derailed so badly he's only won 3 super bowls since :rolleyes:

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Packers success this year has been 70% because of the defense. Pettine has been a good defensive playcaller but most importantly they can actually pressure the qb after adding the Smiths. I think LaFleur is fine as an offensive playcaller, especially with reviving the play action which was criminally underused under Fat Mike. It's pretty obvious now that the previous GM and coaching regime was as stale as gently caress and replacing them with even average coaches would help Aaron return to form. Things have gone well so far but the jury is still out on how LaFleur will respond to high pressure situations in the playoffs, or how he reacts to teams adjusting to his scheme next year. An injury to one of the Smiths would absolutely derail the defense as well.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Whooping Crabs posted:

Packers success this year has been 70% because of the defense. Pettine has been a good defensive playcaller but most importantly they can actually pressure the qb after adding the Smiths. I think LaFleur is fine as an offensive playcaller, especially with reviving the play action which was criminally underused under Fat Mike. It's pretty obvious now that the previous GM and coaching regime was as stale as gently caress and replacing them with even average coaches would help Aaron return to form. Things have gone well so far but the jury is still out on how LaFleur will respond to high pressure situations in the playoffs, or how he reacts to teams adjusting to his scheme next year. An injury to one of the Smiths would absolutely derail the defense as well.

Yea, I agree with this. I'll also add that I think if the defense continues to impress that Pettine will get some head coaching looks again, and a big question for any head coach is how they manage talented coordinators leaving.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yea, I agree with this. I'll also add that I think if the defense continues to impress that Pettine will get some head coaching looks again, and a big question for any head coach is how they manage talented coordinators leaving.

Pettine has said he doesn't want to be an HC again.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Pettine has said he doesn't want to be an HC again.

He had a miserable experience with the Browns and is justifiably gunshy, but I wouldn't be shocked if that opinion changes if he gets in a couple of good years and the right team comes calling.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ches Neckbeard posted:

and sent most of the scouts some positional coaches and ALMOST McCarthy to Cleveland.

Would the Browns be better off this season with McCarthy instead of Kitchens?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

Said it before, I think it's a wash between them

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I think the salary jump between a coordinator and head coach would be enough to convince a guy who might not enjoy it.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yes.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Said it before, I think it's a wash between them

You'd have less of everything wrong with Kitchens. Kitchens is the pupal stage of Mike McCarthy.

You'd have boneheaded penalties, but less. You'd have lovely play calling, but less so.

Also, Baker might've been better off under Fat Mike.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

LabyaMynora posted:

You'd have lovely play calling, but less so.

Also, Baker might've been better off under Fat Mike.

He was making Rodgers look washed and couldn't figure out how to use Aaron Jones. Right now the good part of the offense s Nick Chubb the running back. McCarthy might be good after a year off to consider what dumb poo poo he was doing in GB but directly after no way in hell.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

He was making Rodgers look washed and couldn't figure out how to use Aaron Jones. Right now the good part of the offense s Nick Chubb the running back. McCarthy might be good after a year off to consider what dumb poo poo he was doing in GB but directly after no way in hell.

McCarthy's future success entirely relies on if he decides to bring back his clowncar of lovely assistant coaches he was super loyal to.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Deki posted:

McCarthy's future success entirely relies on if he decides to bring back his clowncar of lovely assistant coaches he was super loyal to.

Wasn't Andy Reid in his late Eagles years like that too?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

sean10mm posted:

Wasn't Andy Reid in his late Eagles years like that too?

To the point of making his o-line coach his DC, yes

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

GD_American posted:

To the point of making his o-line coach his DC, yes

That was amazing. Juan Castillo never forget.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Dan Quinn probably isn't surviving today!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Welcome to the thread Matt Nagy

https://twitter.com/greggrosenthal/status/1188547211971330049

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

LabyaMynora posted:

Thinking about the Browns and how Freddie Kitchens ended up as HC:

Haslam: "Okay, hire us a head coach, but we need to keep Freddie on as OC."

Dorsey: "What?! Why?!"

Haslam: "Baker likes him, and we want to keep our star quarterback happy."

Dorsey: "I can't hire a Head Coach and force them to keep Freddie on as OC! I might as well make Freddie the drat HC!!!"

Haslam: "Y'know what, John, you drive a hard bargain. Okay, Freddie Kitchens as HC, but if this doesn't work out, it's your rear end. Good talk!"

I feel like every time a team does "Well we can't let our OC get away, we'll make him HC and fire whoever" has never worked.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Today was Dan Quinn's last game.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Why fire Quinn now? There's nobody worth promoting and he's not ruining a QB.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Also, the rest of the schedule is a buzz saw of Saints twice, Panthers twice, and 49ers. Ain't nobody want to deal with that.

It's almost like you can argue no one *deserves* the rest of the Falcons schedule more than Quinn.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Because having the players head out week after week to play half assed football for a dead man walking for another 8 weeks probably isn't a great way to build a decent foundation for next year. At some point you have to signal to the people there that you still give a poo poo about the product on the field.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The knives are coming out for Fangio

https://twitter.com/RyanKoenigsberg/status/1188555924245364736

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Will Elway side with a tall quarterback or the coach he hired?

That's the cheap joke I came up with but I actually don't know. We need Drew Lock's thoughts here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Grittybeard posted:

Will Elway side with a tall quarterback or the coach he hired?

That's the cheap joke I came up with but I actually don't know.

He's going to fire Fangio after one underwhelming season because he regrets keeping Vance Joseph on for the second year. I've been saying it since the beginning of the season, Elway's thinking is transparent as gently caress. He's not smart.