Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Otteration posted:

“Men trying to be women and women trying to be men is really confusing our children me”'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'd love to see the judge's take on the media circus around the custody case given her ruling.

NBC's article on it

article posted:

However, Judge Kim Cooks in Dallas said Thursday during a hearing that the court noted no abuse, neglect or family violence in the case. Cooks ruled that the parents would make joint decisions about the child. She also noted the court found that both parents love their children, and she noted the 7-year-old appears comfortable as a male or a female.
Cooks scolded the father, who she noted was unemployed, for seeking publicity on the case and raising money on his website, but she also pointed out how the mother testified that her encouragement of the child being transgender may have been excessive.

Her take seems to have been "kid's 7. They don't care. You both love them. Stop using their gender to fight each other like fuckwits.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Otteration posted:

TMZ Emailed The Secret Service About Eminem’s Trump Lyrics. Agents Then Investigated The Rapper.
buzzfeednews.com/October 24, 2019
'This week, the agency turned over 40 pages of documents that prove they did in fact interview the rapper. It turns out their interest in speaking with him was based on “threatening lyrics” from his rap “Framed” that appeared on Revival. The Secret Service characterized Eminem as “exhibiting inappropriate behavior” and noted that he, via the rap, “threatens protectee.”'

I would have said this was an obvious attempt to manufacture a story, but the TMZ employee who reported Eminem for BadSpeak never seemed to have told anyone what they did.

Just loving lol at someone who works in the entertainment industry caring what some middle aged white rapper says in their tracks.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

FoolyCharged posted:

I'd love to see the judge's take on the media circus around the custody case given her ruling.

NBC's article on it

Her take seems to have been "kid's 7. They don't care. You both love them. Stop using their gender to fight each other like fuckwits.

The thing that's really telling is that the child is 7, and yet all the conservatives are acting like they're making a big decision. They're not. They're just wearing some clothes and hanging out with some other kids. The entire thing is hysteria from bigots. When the child gets older maybe there will be discussion of hormones or blockers, but that's literally not any part of the discussion right now. If the child wants to wear boy clothes they can just wear the boy clothes. It's not a big deal.

The thing that really makes them furious is seeing a child not being indoctrinated into concrete gender norms. Their ideas of gender are so loving fragile they're threatened by letting a kid where some pink clothes or something. What an idiotic world view.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

ErIog posted:

The thing that's really telling is that the child is 7, and yet all the conservatives are acting like they're making a big decision. They're not. They're just wearing some clothes and hanging out with some other kids. The entire thing is hysteria from bigots. When the child gets older maybe there will be discussion of hormones or blockers, but that's literally not any part of the discussion right now. If the child wants to wear boy clothes they can just wear the boy clothes. It's not a big deal.

The thing that really makes them furious is seeing a child not being indoctrinated into concrete gender norms. Their ideas of gender are so loving fragile they're threatened by letting a kid where some pink clothes or something. What an idiotic world view.

I mean, saying a kid is a specific gender because they were pink clothes is a pretty strong reinforcement of gender norms, but that's another can of worms I dont want to get into.

Both sides are blowing it out of proportion. The judge says the kid is comfortable identifying both ways and yet it's almost impossible to find an article that expresses that. All of them insist the kid 100% prefers 1 gender and join the parents in playing a spiteful game of tug of war with a kid as the rope.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The father is a transphobic piece of poo poo who has no business being part of the medical decision-making process for his child, regardless of whether she’s “equally comfortable presenting as a boy or a girl” (which I’m highly skeptical of, considering that she most certainly knows her father’s virulent transphobia.

He’s also an abusive rear end in a top hat in general. That’s why people aren’t “both siding” this. If a child wants to present as different gender or as gender fluid then the parents should support that decision, whatever the child decides later or whether they are deemed “equally comfortable” with other presentations.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 26, 2019

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The gently caress? Glad I posted and got corrected because, holy poo poo.

That thing reads like a giant list of all the fraud and abuse that dude did to the kids and his ex wife. How the hell did he even get allowed to be a part of those kids lives back then to make the fuss now?

It looks like it's the same judge even, so she overturned the jury despite knowing about his history of abuse?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Yeah, it's utterly bizarre. Even without that, though, the fact that the father admitted that he would not allow his child to present as a girl when in his care because she's "too young to make that decision" should make it clear that he's going to force Luna to present as a boy regardless of her choice. The fact that the judge doesn't see that as abuse (AND ignores that huge laundry list of prior abuse which made her give sole custody to the mother) makes me think that she's transphobic herself and doesn't believe that forcing a child to conform to the parents idea of their assigned gender is abuse.

It's some loving bullshit. He's absolutely going to do irreparable damage to his kid.

E:

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 27, 2019

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Trump accuses Obama of treason for ‘spying’ on his 2016 campaign
msn.com/1 day ago
"President Trump has ratcheted up his claim that the Obama White House spied on his 2016 campaign, charging in a new book that it was a “treasonous” act by the former Democratic president."

Donald Trump is inventing new Constitutional powers out of thin air
rawstory.com/5 hours ago
'This week, Trump told an adoring crowd of conservatives, “I have an Article 2, where I have the right to do whatever I want as president.” This set the guys who wrote the Constitution and were fearful of the executive branch developing into a monarchy spinning in their graves.'

Impeachment Trumps Executive Privilege. Ask George Washington
wsj.com/Oct. 22, 2019
"Charles I tried to withhold records, saying ‘the king can do no wrong.’ The Framers had another view."

Rachel Maddow Confronts Her NBC News Bosses Live, on the Air
nytimes.com/Oct. 26, 2019
"The MSNBC anchor Rachel Maddow publicly confronted the leadership of her own network on Friday night, declaring live on air that she and other NBC News employees had deep concerns about whether the organization had stymied Ronan Farrow’s reporting on the movie mogul Harvey Weinstein."

[Don't watch the TV news, so don't know what's up with that.]

House passes bill making animal cruelty a federal felony
abcnews.go.com/Oct 23, 2019
"The House unanimously passed the Preventing Animal Cruelty and Torture (PACT) Act on Tuesday afternoon, which criminalizes certain acts of animal cruelty.

The bi-partisan bill was introduced by Rep. Ted Deutch, D-Fla., and Rep. Vern Buchanan, R-Fla. A companion bill was introduced in the Senate."

Video shows officer shooting fleeing Fresno teen in the back of the head
theguardian.com/25 Oct 2019
'Newly released video shows a Fresno, California, police officer shooting a fleeing, unarmed 16-year-old in the back of the head and then handcuffing the boy as he lies motionless on the ground.

Surveillance footage of the 14 April 2017 killing of Isiah Murrietta-Golding, released this week by the family’s attorney, has spread across the US, with critics calling it another example of extreme police brutality and unjustified lethal force that would have received little attention if lawyers hadn’t published the video.

The footage shows the teenager running from officers, jumping a fence, falling to the ground and continuing to flee. Murrietta-Golding was an estimated 35 feet away from the officers when one of them fired a single bullet into his head. The officer then hopped the fence, approached the boy’s limp body and handcuffed his hands behind his back.

The video comes after the police department in Fresno, a city in California’s Central Valley, refused to release the footage while publicly stating that the killing was “justified”, said Stuart Chandler, an attorney for Murrietta-Golding’s father.

“The city was so adamant that the officer ‘feared for his life’,” the lawyer told the Guardian on Thursday. “Why were they hiding the video? If a picture speaks a thousand words, then the video speaks a million words.”'

Shooting an unarmed teen in the back of the head was justified, police said. Then video emerged.
washingtonpost.com/Oct. 24, 2019

New video sheds light on deadly Fresno police shooting of unarmed teen suspect as he fled
cbsnews.com/October 24, 2019

Video shows officer fatally shot unarmed teen as he ran away; police say it was justified
kfor.com/October 26, 2019

[Etc.]

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Stickman posted:

Yeah, it's utterly bizarre. Even without that, though, the fact that the father admitted that he would not allow his child to present as a girl when in his care because she's "too young to make that decision" should make it clear that he's going to force Luna to present as a boy regardless of her choice. The fact that the judge doesn't see that as abuse (AND ignores that huge laundry list of prior abuse which made her give sole custody to the mother) makes me think that she's transphobic herself and doesn't believe that forcing a child to conform to the parents idea of their assigned gender is abuse.

It's some loving bullshit. He's absolutely going to do irreparable damage to his kid.

e: nm

Setset fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Oct 27, 2019

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer
Transcript of Trump’s Remarks on the Death of Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi
nytimes.com/Oct. 27, 2019 Updated 5:43 p.m. ET
[NYT transcript seemed to end before the poo poo smear veered (also was while I could see beyond the paywall).]

Full video starting at his remarks: [Any full transcript might be fun if you can find it!]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIAJc6XPp_4&t=2077s

Before Deadly Crashes, Boeing Pushed for Law That Undercut Oversight
nytimes.com/Oct. 27, 2019
"With a few short paragraphs tucked into 463 pages of legislation last year, Boeing scored one of its biggest lobbying wins: a law that undercuts the government’s role in approving the design of new airplanes."

At Least 20 Billionaires Behind ‘Dark Money’ Group That Opposed Obama
forbes.com/Oct 26, 2019
'A nonprofit group with a bland name, Americans for Job Security, spent $5 million supporting Republicans in the 2010 midterms and $15 million denouncing former President Obama in the 2012 election, but until this week, the group never had to file disclosures showing where its money was coming from.

“This is the first time in the Citizens United-era that a dark money group was forced to disclose their donors in a certain time period,” said Jordan Libowitz, a spokesperson for nonprofit watchdog group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, referring to the 2010 Supreme Court case that wiped away previous restrictions on political spending.'

Wall Street spends millions to buy up Washington state water
seattletimes.com/Oct. 27, 2019
"Worldwide, as temperatures rise and aquifers dry, investors are increasingly bullish on water, and buying vineyards, farms and ranches for what’s underneath or flowing through."

["But my uncle says that business say that global warming isn't happening!"]

Power Is Trading Below Zero in Middle America Amid Strong Winds
bloomberg.com/October 18, 2019
"Strong and steady breezes are helping states in the central U.S. generate so much electricity from wind turbines that wholesale power prices have fallen below zero.

It’s a relatively new phenomenon in America’s spot power markets. When there’s an overabundance of solar or wind, grid operators send prices plunging to negative levels -- a signal to generators that they need to take supplies offline so they don’t overload transmission lines. On Friday, wind output surged to as much as 17,264 megawatts across the Southwest Power Pool -- a grid that stretches from North Dakota to Texas. That’s more than 60% of the region’s power."

'When I see people injured, I have to provide first aid': Nurses walk off job to join Hong Kong protesters
sbs.com.au/Updated 1 day ago
"Hong Kong medics have joined protests against what they say is police brutality against pro-democracy protesters; police say they have been very restrained."

Video shows officer shooting fleeing Fresno teen in the back of the head
theguardian.com/25 Oct 2019
"Footage of Fresno, California, incident follows police claims that killing of unarmed Isiah Murrietta-Golding, 16, was justified
Newly released video shows a Fresno, California, police officer shooting a fleeing, unarmed 16-year-old in the back of the head and then handcuffing the boy as he lies motionless on the ground."

About 41% of the global population are under 24. And they’re angry…
theguardian.com/26 Oct 2019
"From Hong Kong to Chile, young people are rising up to fight injustice and inequality. Their elders should be grateful"

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://twitter.com/JesseYomtov/status/1188623566369165314

https://twitter.com/albamonica/status/1188623950743588866

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
BOO-URNS BOO-URNS

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Court strikes down North Carolina congressional map
thehill.com/October 28, 2019
"A state court on Monday threw out North Carolina's congressional map, arguing the state's 13 districts were an example of "extreme partisan gerrymandering" in a decision that could have major consequences in 2020."

Officials cringe as Trump spills sensitive details of al-Baghdadi raid
msn.com/4 hrs ago
"A few of the those colorful details were wrong. Many of the rest were either highly classified or tactically sensitive, and their disclosure by the president made intelligence and military officials cringe, according to current and former U.S. officials."

Trump Threatens To Drop ISIS Fighters At The UK’s Borders, An Act Of War
theintellectualist/6 hrs
"President Donald Trump threatened to “drop” captured members of the Islamic State on the UK border if the country fails to begin repatriating the British citizens from Syria, according to The Independent."

[Congress, and the people, could declare this statement as both illegal and insane.]

Police chief says Trump lied about mystery cop who can fix Chicago in ‘one day’: ‘That person doesn’t exist’
rawstory.com/October 28, 2019
"Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson laughed off President Donald Trump’s claim that a single police officer could solve Chicago’s crime problem in one day.

While speaking at the International Association of Chiefs of Police conference on Monday, Trump attacked Johnson even though he was not in attendance. Trump argued that Chicago was more violent than Afghanistan."

Democrat asks FEC to investigate Trump campaign declining to pay police bills
thehill.com/10/28/19
"A House Democrat on Monday asked the Federal Election Commission (FEC) to investigate whether President Trump's reelection campaign is violating campaign finance rules by failing to report disputed reimbursements to local law enforcement for protection at campaign events.

The Trump campaign has declined to reimburse local officials who provide security assurance during Trump's campaign rallies across the country."

Two Sunday Fires In Lafayette Appear To Have Been Caused By PG&E Equipment
sfist.com/today maybe?
"Despite the power being shut off to surrounding areas in the East Bay on Sunday, live wires in an area that was not part of the shutoff in Lafayette appear to have been the cause of two separate fires."

End harassment at VA hospitals
thehill.com/October 28, 2019
"When I ran the VA's Center for Women Veterans, one of my highest priorities was changing the culture throughout the organization to be more welcoming of women veterans, who make up a small but rapidly growing percentage of our nation's veterans. That work is deeply necessary: Alarming research by the department found that one in four women veterans using VA health care "reported inappropriate and/or unwanted comments or behavior by male veterans on VA grounds." Unsurprisingly, women who experienced that harassment were less likely to feel welcome, which could lead to them delaying or missing needed care. Just like in the military, younger women are at higher risk of experiencing that harassment."

[We've come far as a society since Clinton was impeached; we need to go farther.]

Facebook rejects a PrEP awareness campaign because of ‘politics’, but will still allow politicians to post lies
pinknews.co.uk/October 28, 2019
'As Facebook comes under fire for allowing lies in politicians’ ads, the platform has reportedly rejected a PrEP awareness campaign because it was “too political”.'

US police sergeant told to 'tone down the gayness' wins $20m in damages
theguardian.com/28 Oct 2019
"Keith Wildhaber, who was allegedly passed over for promotion 23 times, wins discrimination lawsuit against St Louis county police"

‘It feels like a horror movie’: Republicans feel anxious and adrift defending Trump
washingtonpost.com/Oct. 28, 2019
"Republican senators are lost and adrift as the impeachment inquiry enters its second month, navigating the grave threat to President Trump largely in the dark, frustrated by the absence of a credible case to defend his conduct and anxious about the historic reckoning that probably awaits them.?

Chile’s People Have Had Enough
slate.com/Oct 26, 2019
"What began with a student protest over a subway fare hike has exploded into nationwide marches against much more: an unsustainably high cost of living, poverty-level retirements, bad and expensive health care, poor education, and crushing debt, to name a few."

[Too much author from the beginning, IMO, but the poo poo is real.]

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Otteration posted:

News Wrap-Up

You're the hero this thread needs, and I appreciate your dedication to posting the important articles with blurbs. Thank you gentlegoon :patriot:

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Zipperelli. posted:

You're the hero this thread needs, and I appreciate your dedication to posting the important articles with blurbs. Thank you gentlegoon :patriot:

Seriously not sure if I give much of a drat about this thread. Poke the news at the country though, when it's useful, and if you have a chance.

Edit: Thanks anyway.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
:)

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Otteration posted:

Seriously not sure if I give much of a drat about this thread.

It's a nice thing to withdraw to when the avalanche of posts that is USPol combined with keeping up with everything else gets exhausting, but it only works if someone keeps up the news/tweet dumps. You and PPJ have done good stuff to help keep people informed.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Otteration posts are the primary reason I check this thread anymore. The news round-up is extremely helpful.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Yeah, it’s nice to have well-curated news dumps in a thread that doesn’t produce dozens of pages of posts a day. Thanks, Otteration!

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Kith posted:

Otteration posts are the primary reason I check this thread anymore. The news round-up is extremely helpful.

:emptyquote:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Stickman posted:

Thanks, Otteration!

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Biggest private coal miner goes bust as Trump rescue fails
msn.com/11 hrs ago
"Robert E. Murray, the U.S. coal baron who pressed the Trump administration to help save America’s struggling miners, placed his company into bankruptcy as demand for the fossil fuel continues to weaken."

New York is investigating UnitedHealth's use of a medical algorithm that steered black patients away from getting higher-quality care
businessinsider.com/Oct 28, 2019
"The algorithm in question, Impact Pro, identifies which patients would benefit from complex health procedures favored treating white patients than sicker black ones between 2013 and 2015, according to a study published in the prestigious journal Science."

Additional:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-york-regulator-probes-unitedhealth-algorithm-for-racial-bias-11572087601

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/366/6464/447/tab-pdf

The U.S. Only Pretends to Have Free Markets
theatlantic.com/6:00 AM ET
"From plane tickets to cellphone bills, monopoly power costs American consumers billions of dollars a year."

The other humanitarian crisis under Trump, exposed by a new report
washingtonpost.com/Oct. 29, 2019
"The key findings of the report are that far larger percentages of migrants returned to Mexico are exposed to threats of violence than has been previously established — and that the process the administration established to supposedly prevent that from happening is full of holes."

Publicly Owned Utilities Could Help Fight the Climate Crisis
teenvogue.com/October 25, 2019
"In recent years, activists around the country, including in New York City, Boston, Providence, Chicago, Boulder, and Washington, D.C., as well as Northern California and Maine, have been working to transition utilities to public ownership, which would make them accountable to the public instead of investors. In Northern California, the Let’s Own PG&E campaign emerged shortly after the Camp Fire, the deadliest fire in California history, which was caused by PG&E power lines. In other parts of the country, activists are fighting against utility companies’ direct contributions to the climate crisis and systemic inequalities."

[Teen Vogue]

'Tax the Hell Out of Me,' Says Young Millionaire Google Exec at Prospect of a President Bernie Sanders
commondreams.org/October 28, 2019
'"While I live in luxury, most Americans are working harder than I'll ever work in my life, and get paid scraps for it," tweeted 23-year-old Sayman, who works as senior product manager at Google. "It ain't right. Tax me whatever's necessary."

[Target: US politics sans primary chat]

EXCLUSIVE: Twitter executive for Middle East is British Army 'psyops' soldier
middleeasteye.net/30 September 2019
"The senior Twitter executive with editorial responsibility for the Middle East is also a part-time officer in the British Army’s psychological warfare unit, Middle East Eye has established.

Gordon MacMillan, who joined the social media company's UK office six years ago, has for several years also served with the 77th Brigade, a unit formed in 2015 in order to develop “non-lethal” ways of waging war."

‘Corrupt’ Lindsey Graham slammed after watchdog reveals he visits Trump properties far more than any lawmaker
rawstory.com/October 28, 2019
"Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) has been frequently mocked for transforming himself from a staunch Trump critic into one of his most devoted defenders — and a new report from ethics watchdog Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington will only add more fuel to that fire."

New study finds 45,000 deaths annually linked to lack of health coverage
harvard.edu/September 17, 2009
"Uninsured, working-age Americans have 40 percent higher death risk than privately insured counterparts"

Ex-gays are going to D.C. to lobby against LGBTQ laws
lgbtqnation.com/October 28, 2019
"A group of ex-gay people are traveling to Washington, D.C., this week to lobby against the Equality Act, a bill what would enshrine LGBTQ non-discrimination protections into federal law, and the “Therapeutic Fraud Prevention Act,” which would prohibit advertising any therapy that claims to change or lessen one’s LGBTQ identity."

["ex-gay people"]

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Otteration posted:

Biggest private coal miner goes bust as Trump rescue fails
msn.com/11 hrs ago
"Robert E. Murray, the U.S. coal baron who pressed the Trump administration to help save America’s struggling miners, placed his company into bankruptcy as demand for the fossil fuel continues to weaken."
RIGHT INTO MY VEINS :kheldragar:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Otteration posted:

["ex-gay people"]

:staredog:

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I also want to chime in that I really appreciate these and thank you for the effort. I can’t always handle the USPOL thread, so it’s great to have another way to keep informed on stuff I would normally miss.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I also want to chime in that I really appreciate these and thank you for the effort. I can’t always handle the USPOL thread, so it’s great to have another way to keep informed on stuff I would normally miss.

Feel free to post your own stuff too! :)

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

I sometimes occasionally wonder about "ex-straight" people also, then periodically reconsider whether my oatmeal is warm enough or not. Then I go on with my day. Oops, what, "ex-gay"?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

That's a mixture of people who have been Winstoned into aping heterosexuality (often with obvious sexual dysfunction like being unable to gently caress their assigned wife because they're not straight!) and liars who, like Ben Carson are also former satanist gangster muslim druggo atheist warlocks who were converted by the awesome power of christ!

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

There's also a lot of born again bisexuals in that group too. They think because they were able to choose their sexuality that everybody else can too, and anyone who continues to be gay is just not morally strong enough.

It's dumb, but funny when ostensibly straight anti-gay culture warriors tell on themselves by describing how alluring being gay is.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Pelosi wants Americans to see the trial of Donald Trump
nbcnews.com/Oct. 30, 2019
"Analysis: Once uncertain about holding an impeachment-related vote on the floor, the House speaker is moving to show evidence to the public."

'"They want transparency like a hole in the head, for crying out loud," said Rep. Bill Pascrell, D-N.J. "Transparency is not going to help them."'

Farm aid from Trump’s trade war has cost more than double the 2009 auto bailout
axios.com/Sep 23, 2019

Bill Taylor is willing to testify publicly in impeachment probe
cnn.com/October 30, 2019
"The top US diplomat in Ukraine, Bill Taylor, is willing to return to Capitol Hill to testify publicly, according to a source familiar with his thinking, making him a potential key early witness for Democrats as they shift their impeachment inquiry into a public phase.

There has not been a request yet made for Taylor to testify publicly, according to the source. But Democrats privately say that Taylor would be a logical choice for one of the first witnesses when the House begins public impeachment hearings. He meticulously documented how he believed the White House had linked Ukraine's announcing an investigation that could help the President politically with unfreezing of US security aide and a one-on-one meeting between President Donald Trump and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky."

[Personally would like impeachment inquiries to quickly expand way beyond Ukraine quid pro quo right now, but Bolton's on deck, so hey.]

No refugees will be resettled in the US in October, leaving hundreds in limbo around the world
cnn.com/October 29, 2019
"A pause on admissions that was expected to lift on Tuesday will now extend into November, leaving those who expected to resettle in the US in limbo. It also means additional travel will need to be canceled and re-booked at the expense of federal taxpayers."

Air pollution is getting worse, and data show more people are dying
washingtonpost.com/Oct. 23, 2019

Civil Rights Groups and the County of Santa Clara Urge Court to Block Denial of Care Rule
lambdalegal.org/October 30, 2019
"The Denial of Care Rule, which was issued in May by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, invites any health care worker – including doctors, nurses, EMTs, administrators, janitors and clerical staff – to deny medical treatment, information and services to patients because of personal religious or moral beliefs."

Russia Tests New Disinformation Tactics in Africa to Expand Influence
nytimes.com/Oct. 30, 2019
"Facebook said on Wednesday that it removed three Russian-backed influence networks on its site that were aimed at African countries including Mozambique, Cameroon, Sudan and Libya. The company said the online networks were linked to Yevgeny Prigozhin, the Russian oligarch who was indicted by the United States and accused of interfering in the 2016 presidential election.

Unlike past influence campaigns from Russia, the networks targeted several countries through Arabic-language posts, according to the Stanford Internet Observatory, which collaborated with Facebook to unravel the effort. Russians also worked with locals in the African countries to set up Facebook accounts that were disguised as authentic to avoid detection."

Bill Barr's alternate universe "investigation" has a goal: Right-wing authoritarian rule
salon.com/October 25, 2019
"Students of the modern conservative movement often date the recent supercharged radicalization of the Republican Party to the rise of Newt Gingrich and the Republican Revolution in the early 1990s. It's true that the GOP went seriously off the rails during that period and the craziness has been picking up speed ever since. But in reality, the conservative movement has been radical from its beginnings, starting with the anti-communist crusade after World War II all the way through Goldwater to Reagan, Gingrich and now Trump. Now it has finally shed all trappings of a sophisticated political ideology, culminating in this surreal parody of a presidency in 2019. The conservative "three legged stool" of small government, traditional values and global military leadership has completely disintegrated."

Vindman exposes Trump’s plan to get Russia off the hook for election interference
rawstory.com/October 30, 2019
'That “false narrative” was about Ukraine. Vindman believed, per the Times, that it was “counter to the consensus view of American national security officials, and harmful to United States interests.” Moreover: “Vindman was concerned as he discovered that Rudolph W. Giuliani, the president’s personal lawyer, was leading an effort to prod Kiev to investigate Mr. Biden’s son, and to discredit efforts to investigate Mr. Trump’s former campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, and his business dealings in Ukraine.”'

Once Trump is gone, the U.S. must completely reform the presidency
thelondoneconomic.com/October 26, 2019
"However Donald Trump leaves the White House, whether through impeachment, defeat at the polls or (God forbid) after a second term, there will be a reckoning in U.S. politics. For nearly three years now, a corrupt, authoritarian presidency has hacked away at democratic institutions and safeguards. Trump has surrounded himself with self-enriching cronies, conspiracy-minded propagandists and, yes, even criminals."

[Notes from abroad.]

Impeachment is too important to leave to Congress — it’s going to take mass mobilization
vox.com/Oct 18, 2019
"Elected officials in the Democratic Party, like established politicians everywhere, aren’t instinctively comfortable with the idea of popular resistance, but it’s not an entirely alien concept to them, either. In the extreme political emergency of 2017, they embraced protest politics. That started with emergency mass demonstrations at airports to block Trump’s initial travel ban, continued through the Women’s March, and was seen repeatedly on Capitol Hill and in congressional town halls as people came out en masse to oppose repealing the Affordable Care Act.

A lawless government cannot be constrained by the institutions of the law alone. It is popular mass resistance that creates a crisis point and forces action. And if Democrats want to beat Trump’s stonewalling tactics in 2019, they should consider doing it again."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Otteration posted:

Civil Rights Groups and the County of Santa Clara Urge Court to Block Denial of Care Rule
lambdalegal.org/October 30, 2019
"The Denial of Care Rule, which was issued in May by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, invites any health care worker – including doctors, nurses, EMTs, administrators, janitors and clerical staff – to deny medical treatment, information and services to patients because of personal religious or moral beliefs."

If your personal beliefs mean you will not treat a patient, then you should not be allowed to practice medicine.

This is one of those situations where it needs to be literally all or nothing.

You have been empowered by the state to treat the sick, you don't then get to cry that helping black or gay people violates your deeply held bigotries.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If your personal beliefs mean you will not treat a patient, then you should not be allowed to practice medicine.

*Be human extinctionist* *sincerely believe humanity should suffer and go extinct through natural causes* *refuse to treat all patients* *get smacked down by the courts because it isn't meant to protect your beliefs*

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Tnega posted:

*Be human extinctionist* *sincerely believe humanity should suffer and go extinct through natural causes* *refuse to treat all patients* *get smacked down by the courts because it isn't meant to protect your beliefs*

On the other hand, we're talking about a society that celebrated Mother Teresa so there's quite a lot of tolerance/lust for this kind of stupid poo poo.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ErIog posted:

On the other hand, we're talking about a society that celebrated Mother Teresa so there's quite a lot of tolerance/lust for this kind of stupid poo poo.

She didn't do that to Americans

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The Actual Laws Trump Has Broken, Just With the Ukraine and China Affairs, Could Land Him 10 Years in Prison
theintercept.com/October 10 2019
"They are, however, indictable. A variety of felony criminal statutes plainly implicate Trump’s behavior, and come with lengthy prison sentences — the types of sentences doled out for high crimes, to say nothing of misdemeanors. Indeed, many of them are straightforward. Altogether, if the impeachment inquiry is limited simply to Trump’s pressure on Ukraine, the charges could amount to more than 10 years in prison."

[Oldish, but useful.]

Trump Is Committing 'Felony Bribery' by Giving Fundraising Cash to GOP Senators Ahead of Impeachment Trial: Ex-Bush Ethics Lawyer
newsweek.com/10/31/19
'Attorney Richard Painter, who served as the chief White House ethics lawyer in the George W. Bush administration, warned on Thursday that President Donald Trump appeared to be committing "felony bribery" by giving Republican senators fundraising cash ahead of an increasingly likely impeachment trial in the Senate.'

[Wishing Congress had the time and the political spine to pile this poo poo on.]

Republicans Storm Out of Veterans' Affairs Committee, Refuse to Vote on Health Care Bill for Women Veterans
newsweek.com/10/30/19
"Republicans were accused of trying to attach "poison pill" amendments to a bill on female veterans health care after they stormed out of the House Veterans Affairs Committee on Tuesday.

GOP committee members were filmed leaving a hearing room by Stars and Stripes reporter Steve Beynon after Chairman Mark Takano stopped debate on their proposed additions to the Deborah Sampson Act, a decision Republicans later called "partisan" and "shameful."

California Democrat Takano suggested that he stopped the debate because Republicans were trying to introduce "toxic, partisan amendments" to a bill that aimed to improve health care offered to female veterans at VA medical facilities."

Do you have a preexisting condition? Senate GOP just voted to let insurers discriminate against you
frontpagelive.com/10/31/2019
"In a nearly unanimous vote on Wednesday, the Republicans in the Senate defeated the Democrats’ attempt to repeal Trump’s rule that sabotages the Affordable Care Act and allows for discrimination against people with preexisting conditions."

Florida principal fired after saying he couldn't confirm Holocaust as 'factual' event
"A former Florida high school principal who expressed doubt about the legitimacy of the Holocaust has been fired.

The Palm Beach County School Board on Tuesday voted 5-2 to end William Latson's employment at Spanish River Community High School, CNN reported, citing records from the board meeting. Latson had previously been reassigned after revelations about his views of the Holocaust surfaced."

Opinion: The $15 minimum wage was supposed to hurt New York City restaurants — but both revenue and employment are up
marketwatch.com/Oct 28, 2019
"Prices are up, but that hasn’t stopped people from eating out"

United States currently has more than 40 million pounds of excess bacon
nydailynews.com/Oct 28, 2019
"Pork belly is the portion of the pig used to make bacon."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
King Votes Against House Democrats “Halloween Impeachment Trick”
steveking.house.gov/Oct 31, 2019

Press Release

“President Trump is correct to describe this a witch hunt, and the President’s phrase takes on added significance with the actions of the Democrats in the House today.”

'“Today is Halloween, and the hyper-partisan, impeach-at-all-costs, Democratic majority in the House has just played a Halloween impeachment trick on all of America,” said King. “I reject the Democrats’ efforts to legitimize this sham impeachment process, and all Americans should be concerned that the person most empowered by the House impeachment resolution voted on today is Rep. Adam Schiff, a man who just faced a censure effort based on his efforts to deceive the American public on this subject, and who has just had an ethics complaint filed against him as well. President Trump is correct to describe this as a witch hunt, and the President's phrase takes on added significance with the actions of the Democrats in the House today."'

"H.R. 660 passed the House of Representatives today on a hyper-partisan vote of 232-196 with King voting against the legislation. Not a single House Republican member voted in favor of the Democrats’ impeachment resolution, and two House Democrats joined with Republicans in opposition to the resolution. As a result of these votes, only those in opposition to the impeachment resolution can be said to have acted in a bi-partisan fashion."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
'Fireside chat on live television': Trump says he wants to read Ukraine call transcript to American people
washingtonexaminer.com/October 31, 2019
"A defiant President Trump signaled he will not cooperate with the Democratic Party's impeachment proceedings, insisting his telephone conversation with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky was "a good call" and that he might read it aloud to Americans so they can see his point.

“This is over a phone call that is a good call,” Trump, sitting behind the Resolute Desk, said in an interview with the Washington Examiner. "At some point, I’m going to sit down, perhaps as a fireside chat on live television, and I will read the transcript of the call, because people have to hear it. When you read it, it’s a straight call.”

[Is it time to open our Halloween presents yet?]

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Otteration posted:

Trump Is Committing 'Felony Bribery' by Giving Fundraising Cash to GOP Senators Ahead of Impeachment Trial: Ex-Bush Ethics Lawyer
newsweek.com/10/31/19
'Attorney Richard Painter, who served as the chief White House ethics lawyer in the George W. Bush administration, warned on Thursday that President Donald Trump appeared to be committing "felony bribery" by giving Republican senators fundraising cash ahead of an increasingly likely impeachment trial in the Senate.']

I know Donald Trump is a big stupid criminal who destroyed the populist movement that got him elected through his colossal dumbassery.

But do we really want to trust the word of the ethics lawyer behind the presidency that invented a chemical weapon threat to invade a foriegn country? Surely there are better arrows in our quiver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FoolyCharged posted:

I know Donald Trump is a big stupid criminal who destroyed the populist movement that got him elected through his colossal dumbassery.

But do we really want to trust the word of the ethics lawyer behind the presidency that invented a chemical weapon threat to invade a foriegn country? Surely there are better arrows in our quiver.

It's significant that Trump is too sleazy even for this guy.