Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You want people to drive an hour to the beach to get to a wedding at 5:30 am? So people will have to be waking up at 3am to get dressed to get into the car at 4:00 to drive for an hour to make it to your wedding early enough and get seated at 5:30.

Do you all sleep while the sun is out? Is your goal to have someone cause an accident driving to your wedding or getting back from it? Are you two gigantic tawny owls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

It might not be if the business is owned by said insane CEO. :911:

Photoshopping invoices is 100% fraud.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for wanting a sunrise wedding?

Every year on our anniversary, my fiance and I wake up early to go to the beach and watch the sunrise together. It's a very special tradition, as we have both overcome a number of personal challenges during our time together, and the symbolism of watching a new day begin is deeply meaningful for us.

We decided we wanted to incorporate this into our wedding. Our plan is to have our ceremony on the beach the and have everyone walk over to a beachfront restaurant for breakfast, bloody Marys and mimosas (we've already talked to the restaurant owner about this, who loves the idea and said he'd be happy to open early for us). After that, everyone is free for the remainder of the day. Our friends and family are mostly local and should all be able to travel to the beach in under an hour, except for some extended family flying in from Canada, but that's unavoidable.

Based on our geographic location and the date of the wedding next summer, we've scheduled the ceremony start time for 5:30 a.m., when there should be plenty of light but the sun itself won't be quite visible yet.

We've been getting a LOT of backlash from our families about this, who say this is way too early and we need to move the ceremony to a more "normal" time of day. But my fiance and I don't feel like we're asking for anything that unreasonable. AITA?

That's only in the morning
You should be up cooking breakfast or something

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Everyone who substitutes acronyms or single letters for names is a loving gaping goatse rear end in a top hat and I hate them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Photoshopping invoices is 100% fraud.

Yeah, everything about employing your husband and child as employees and having them draw salary is something you can absolutely do if you're the owner and CEO of a business. Photoshopping an invoice is gonna take you to prison because that's loving with people who have money's money.

Like a former boss of mine got to spend a good 10+ years in jail for basically this exact crime.

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Barudak posted:

You want people to drive an hour to the beach to get to a wedding at 5:30 am? So people will have to be waking up at 3am to get dressed to get into the car at 4:00 to drive for an hour to make it to your wedding early enough and get seated at 5:30.

Do you all sleep while the sun is out? Is your goal to have someone cause an accident driving to your wedding or getting back from it? Are you two gigantic tawny owls?

Not only that, but after getting up in the middle of the night, there's only the ceremony and a restaurant reception that sounds like it wouldn't last more than a couple hours, so "After that, everyone is free for the remainder of the day." So basically drive back home, probably nap, and gently caress up your sleep schedule for the whole weekend. Any guests with kids are going to have to get a babysitter at an incredibly inconvenient time or take them along, which I'm sure will work out great.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITAfor wanting to tell my wife she has culinary refinement of a cow?

I (M) take pride in my meals. I work hard to make sure what I cook has been done from scratch (baked goods) and is the best possible (everything else). I take particular pride in my meats. I rarely eat steak at restaurants because I’m always disappointed in the flavorless, heat and serve ending (Ruth Chris being the exception). I’ve been grilling for many years and have learned how to season meat the day before so it highlights the flavor without overwhelming it, let it get to room temperature before grilling, sear it properly, cook it over indirect heat, give it another quick sear, and let it rest before serving. I emphasize the seasoning part.

Recently I bought a Traeger smoker and it’s opened up a whole new world. The first thing I cooked/smoked was a brisket and it was amazing. Today I cooked a pork butt for pulled pork and I could have laid in a bed of that delicious goodness!

Here’s the thing; today, and from the beginning of time, my wife slathers meat I cook in barbecue or steak sauce before even bothering to taste it! Today it was bbq sauce. I mean, wtf? I could of just served her sliced spam with bbq sauce while blindfolded and she’d never have known the difference. I don’t know if she doesn’t understand how insulting that is or just doesn’t care.

AITA for thinking she’s TA?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I didn't even think about families with kids.

This wedding is possibly only surpassed by having like, a phobia themed wedding.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I (M) take pride in my meals. I work hard to make sure what I cook has been done from scratch (baked goods) and is the best possible (everything else). I take particular pride in my meats. I rarely eat steak at restaurants because I’m always disappointed in the flavorless, heat and serve ending (Ruth Chris being the exception). I’ve been grilling for many years and have learned how to season meat the day before so it highlights the flavor without overwhelming it, let it get to room temperature before grilling, sear it properly, cook it over indirect heat, give it another quick sear, and let it rest before serving. I emphasize the seasoning part.

Recently I bought a Traeger smoker and it’s opened up a whole new world. The first thing I cooked/smoked was a brisket and it was amazing. Today I cooked a pork butt for pulled pork and I could have laid in a bed of that delicious goodness!

Here’s the thing; today, and from the beginning of time, my wife slathers meat I cook in barbecue or steak sauce before even bothering to taste it! Today it was bbq sauce. I mean, wtf? I could of just served her sliced spam with bbq sauce while blindfolded and she’d never have known the difference. I don’t know if she doesn’t understand how insulting that is or just doesn’t care.

AITA for thinking she’s TA?

Surely there are different ways to approach this then just trying to start a fight

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

HIJK posted:

Surely there are different ways to approach this then just trying to start a fight

if there were, he obviously would’ve thought of them. please tell him what he wants to hear.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

We decided we wanted to incorporate this into our wedding. Our plan is to have our ceremony on the beach the and have everyone walk over to a beachfront restaurant for breakfast, bloody Marys and mimosas (we've already talked to the restaurant owner about this, who loves the idea and said he'd be happy to open early for us). After that, everyone is free for the remainder of the day. Our friends and family are mostly local and should all be able to travel to the beach in under an hour, except for some extended family flying in from Canada, but that's unavoidable.

Based on our geographic location and the date of the wedding next summer, we've scheduled the ceremony start time for 5:30 a.m., when there should be plenty of light but the sun itself won't be quite visible yet.
I’m at the extreme end of the “morning person” spectrum, so much so that I wake up at 5 am every day without an alarm and have for years...and even I think that’s a loving insane time.

Also, she has clearly not thought through the logistics for the actual wedding because (a) most brides and bridesmaids spend hours upon hours doing their hair, makeup, dress, etc and (b) good luck getting photographers, videographers, an officiant, etc unless you’re wildly overpaying.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HIJK posted:

Dudes just like his wife, no desire to evaluate what is presented to him before just slathering it on

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Smirking_Serpent posted:

They are total loving assholes for having a wedding long before anyone actually gets up for Sunday brunch. Just wake up at 5:30AM to watch the sunrise together, then pass out and have your silly brunch wedding at noon or some other normal time. gently caress.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WIBTA if I tell the wedding venue to not set a table for my fiance’s “angels”?

My fiancé grew up with a strange relationship with religion, and as her way of coping she began to look up to dead celebrities that went through similar situations to what she was going through as her guardian angels. It’s become a large part of her life and with that, ours. She says goodnight to them, and reads a lot of their memoirs and books, sometimes she buys clothes she’s seen them wear in old photos. No big deal to me, she’s coping and I love her.

However, she wants to set a table for them at our wedding. Which I think is a little strange, just .... empty chairs at an empty table we’re paying for (our venue has us pay for tables/chairs), with name places for them. It wouldn’t be a problem if we didn’t have to pay for the table but we do, and I see it as a waste when the table isn’t being used. WIBTA if I told the venue to not set that table so we don’t have to pay for it?

Edit - the tables are $75

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Autocondimenting is rude, but maybe just talk to her before bringing out the insults. Or hide those sauces.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I don't respect my fiance, but still plan to be married. Aita?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So the issue isn't that your wife is insane and has drawn you into her world disconnected from reality, its that you have to pay $75 dollars.

Got it.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Edit - the tables are $75
Imagine being so dumb that you decide to piss off the person you’re planning to live with for the next 50+ years of your life with over 1/100th of the total cost of the wedding.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

it's my wedding today, and we're 33!

that means only one thing... BRING IT IN, GUYS!

*every tabloid celebrity, famous singer, dead princess, and actor on Supernatural comes in with everything for a HUGE RECEPTION*

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I'm firmly of the opinion that it's your wedding so you get to do what ever you want. Sunrise wedding, go for it. Destination wedding, the moon is unique and the insta pictures will surely go viral.

If having everyone at your wedding is more important than the destination / time then you need to adjust things. If not then go hog wild.

e: Also, no one has pointed out the obvious solution to the people who may struggle to get there in the morning. Go there the night before. Have a bonfire, a bunch of booze and let someone kick you awake in the morning so you don't miss the service.

Inceltown fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 27, 2019

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Smirking_Serpent posted:

This one was posted on the AITA twitter too and I was absolutely loving appalled at the vast majority of people responding NTA. Your wedding isn't just for you, have some loving consideration for your guests. I would never attend a wedding at 5:30am, not for anyone.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

A wedding venue I considered did offer a sunrise ceremony package followed by light brunch reception but they also said you couldn't have more than 20 guests for that specific time of day

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

it seems insane to me to spend enormous amounts of money and time throwing a party where you have explicit advance confirmation that people will have a bad time.

it's the same thing as that completely dry, no dancing wedding earlier. like, if that's SUPER ROMANTIC AND SPECIAL to the two of you great, but... your guests... should... have.. fun...

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Smirking_Serpent posted:

it's my wedding today, and we're 33!

that means only one thing... BRING IT IN, GUYS!

*every tabloid celebrity, famous singer, dead princess, and actor on Supernatural comes in with everything for a HUGE RECEPTION*

Wedding DJ: Alright folks it's time for the tulpa's dance!

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

it seems insane to me to spend enormous amounts of money and time throwing a party where you have explicit advance confirmation that people will have a bad time.

it's the same thing as that completely dry, no dancing wedding earlier. like, if that's SUPER ROMANTIC AND SPECIAL to the two of you great, but... your guests... should... have.. fun...

Originally I didn't want alcohol at our wedding but that was because I knew a lot of people that used weddings as an excuse to get loving hammered and act really cringey

But I didn't get married til my 30s, was gonna do a cash bar, and my father-in-law insisted on paying for open bar. Also it was a Sunday night so people had to work the next day.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

You’re not an rear end in a top hat if you have a wedding very particular to you and your partner’s tastes, but you’re absolutely one if you get pissy that no one else will go along with it

E: nevermind, I just considered dry weddings as a counter example to my statement

dads friend steve fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 27, 2019

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Inceltown posted:

I'm firmly of the opinion that it's your wedding so you get to do what ever you want. Sunrise wedding, go for it. Destination wedding, the moon is unique and the insta pictures will surely go viral.

If having everyone at your wedding is more important than the destination / time then you need to adjust things. If not then go hog wild.
Sure, it’s your wedding and you should do what you want. But if you make special choices way outside the norm, you need to mentally accept the trade off that some people that you want there will go “sorry, not doing that” for a variety of practical reasons (cost, time, family, accessibility, etc).

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
have the reception first at like, midnight, and just party on until sunrise and then do the ceremony.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

MagusofStars posted:

Sure, it’s your wedding and you should do what you want. But if you make special choices way outside the norm, you need to mentally accept the trade off that some people that you want there will go “sorry, not doing that” for a variety of practical reasons (cost, time, family, accessibility, etc).

It's the accepting people not coming part that flips it between arsehole and not arsehole for sure. "This is how we want to celebrate our union, feel free to come join us if that's cool with you" is very different to "we're putting you out by stepping way outside cultural norms and you're dead to us if you won't change your life around that".

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I had friends who did a dawn handfasting in some kind of bullshit fake Irish ceremony.

The compromise was that people didn't have to go to it, you could just join them for an afternoon reception. Of course by then, they and the other people who'd gone to the dawn thing were tired and pissy.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Lol,attending a dry wedding reception for hours

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

IDing the rear end in a top hat in the sunrise wedding depends on things that weren't said. The couple saying "we're having our wedding at 5:30 and WE NEED YOU TO BE THERE IF YOU LOVE US" is different from family members saying "I can't make your 5:30 wedding but I NEED TO BE THERE IF YOU LOVE ME." And yes, I've known someone who took that second route with her childhood friend's wedding and got miffed when said friend had a quickie for military deployment reasons. She realized she was being foolish... eventually.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I cant imagine looking at my wedding options and picking "handfasting" when "split a shot of liquor in a gourd after I jump over a pile of burning coals" is right there

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for refusing to invite my friend to Halloween events because of how cocky she is?

I live in the U.K. and love Halloween. It’s my favourite time of year and although we don’t celebrate as hard as the US, there’s some decent events where I live that I go to every year.

One of those is a haunted house attraction and, whilst it’s not the best, I love it because I think the dedication of the actors etc. is so admirable. I’m not exactly easily scared and generally stoic as I know that it’s not real, but I like to play along and have fun because that’s what I’m there for!

Last week, I went to a house with my friend. As soon as we entered, she was laughing and acting incredibly disrespectful and arrogant. She kept asking the actors whilst they were in character (and often non-speaking) ‘how are you?’ and going ‘god how can anyone be scared by this sort of thing?!’

Yes, whilst I agree it’s not exactly terrifying, the least you can do is play along! It ruined my experience in there and left me pretty sour afterwards. I think it was just so rude and completely tone deaf. We’re very close friends and I honestly didn’t expect it from her, it really got on my nerves.

Later on, they did a game of ‘what’s touching you?’ where they put various objects into your hand and you have to guess what it is. It was just things like ‘this cotton is actually spiderwebs!’ and other ‘tricks’ that were, to anyone who wasn’t a child, very obvious.

But instead of playing along and going ‘ewww!’ or whatever, she just had to declare what each and every item was in reality - ruining and spoiling it for the kids who were next in line. She actually got scolded by one of the staff who said something like ‘No it’s not (what it is realistically), it’s (spooky thing)! There are kids nearby, come on!’ Which was justly deserved.

It was genuinely embarrassing for me to be with her as I felt sorry for the staff. It’s like going to Disneyland and pointing out that all the characters are just people in costumes. I tried to have a word with her about it but she didn’t get it and said that she loves ‘being logical and brave when everyone else is just scared!’ Like it’s not brave, it’s just socially unaware.

All these things eventually culminated in me not inviting her to a Halloween event in a few days, which will pretty much be the same sort of thing. She was upset that I didn’t invite her, but just did not understand at all why she was wrong. I genuinely do not want her ruining one of my favourite things to do just because of her arrogance and ego.

AITA?

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Barudak posted:

I cant imagine looking at my wedding options and picking "handfasting" when "split a shot of liquor in a gourd after I jump over a pile of burning coals" is right there

Please show me this multi choice list please.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just hire that guy who terrified his girlfriend as a reality check to talk to your friend.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

MagusofStars posted:

NTA. He’s not telling her not to do it, just saying he doesn’t want to go himself because he’s had plans made for that date for literally months. Especially since he’s offering any other game just not their biggest rival.

Also lol at her thinking “recording the game and watching it a couple days later” is equal to watching it live with a bunch of friends. There’s a reason that TV executives call sports the only DVR-proof programming and shell out huge sums for it; because it’s not even remotely the same experience if it’s pre-recorded.

I can't imagine prioritizing a football game over doing some over the weekend for your girlfriends birthday.

He's not even an LSU grad which makes his obsession even weirder, not that that would somehow change anything.

It's just football.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BlueBlazer posted:

Please show me this multi choice list please.

Most wedding planners have lists of wedding types and packages they cover, so if they say "I do Chinese Traditional Weddings" it means they know somebody who can hook you up with a pot of coals.

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.
my first wedding was dry because i am an alcoholic who was completely out of control at the time and if there had been alcohol in the room i literally would not remember a single moment of the wedding.

but it was also family only, optional, and we didn't bother with a reception so people could just go home after like 60 minutes max

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for calling the cops on a food truck?

There is a food truck that comes to serve the construction workers that work at a site near my work. Most days when I'm walking home from work for lunch, I see this truck parked near the corner, always at least partly into the crosswalk. I know that they have been warned before and been asked to move, but afterwards the truck went right back to parking into the crosswalk. Yesterday, as I was walking home, the food truck was parked fully across the crosswalk, meaning that anyone who wanted to cross the street had to step out into traffic, and that anyone in a wheelchair would've been entirely hosed. So I took a picture of the plate and reported them to the police. AITA?

Edit: I realized I didn't put this in. The reason I'm asking is because I started to feel bad a little later in the day.