Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
i like pew pews and machines go roaaaar also darth vader is spooky has laser sword

-george lucas

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Rogue One is bad actually

You can say "ah I know everything I need to know about the guy from Narcos is because he merks an ally at the beginning" but it's the only time in the movie he ever does anything like this and it never has a payoff, and the gap left by discarding that element is filled with nothing. He is just there, he never outlines any kind of motivation or ideals, and the one moment where it's presented like he's making a dramatic choice about having to snipe Jyn's dad comes across as a big wet fart because we have absolutely no idea what his internal parameters are. We don't have any idea to what extent Jyn's emotional well-being matters to him because all they've really done is grimly shoot stormtroopers together. Likewise you don't really know what the Rebellion means to him because he doesn't talk about it. The only information the audience has to go off of is "well, he murdered someone in cold blood back at the start so I guess that means he might?"

But that's a boring loving question and we didn't need the murder at the start to figure that out. We can infer he's capable of it because his bosses expect him to and he's out there in the rain with a gun. If it were a functioning movie, the question we should be asking there is how his relationships with Jyn and his superiors(and the Rebellion as an ideal) will change based on what he chooses to do. Instead it's like, well, okay, he decides not to shoot for some reason but dad dies anyway. Who knows, who cares

Comparing him to ANH Han is nuts. You can say "ah the archetype does all the work" or whatever but that's obviously not true. ANH actually bothers to give Han time to talk about himself and his worldview and develop a relationship with Luke. The specifics of Han's dramatic arc are actually established(want to stay alive, need to pay off bounty, fly these weirdos to Alderaan to get the money, poo poo gets complicated, escapes, has money to resolve original problem but now must decide if risking life to save Luke after going through such lengths to preserve it already is worth it). Just because it's simple and easy to follow doesn't mean it was underwritten or not written at all, it just means it was clear and efficient. The scene in which Han and Ben haggle is by itself a bigger volume of characterization than happens for any of the non-Krennic characters in Rogue One's entire runtime(like did the two Chinese guys even have names? I'm not convinced they did even though IMDB claims otherwise)

Like if you think Han's rescue at the end would carry the same kind of weight if they'd cut the dialogue scenes down to Rogue One levels of frequency(aka just excised them wholesale), I just don't know what to say other than to ask if you were the guy who edited Rogue One

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Rogue One is bad actually

You can say "ah I know everything I need to know about the guy from Narcos is because he merks an ally at the beginning" but it's the only time in the movie he ever does anything like this and it never has a payoff, and the gap left by discarding that element is filled with nothing. He is just there, he never outlines any kind of motivation or ideals, and the one moment where it's presented like he's making a dramatic choice about having to snipe Jyn's dad comes across as a big wet fart because we have absolutely no idea what his internal parameters are. We don't have any idea to what extent Jyn's emotional well-being matters to him because all they've really done is grimly shoot stormtroopers together. Likewise you don't really know what the Rebellion means to him because he doesn't talk about it. The only information the audience has to go off of is "well, he murdered someone in cold blood back at the start so I guess that means he might?"

he has a whole loving bit with jyn where he says he's been a child soldier since he was like eight years old lmao

goons are so bad at watching movies

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I’m probably explaining my position badly. I don’t think Rogue One is an objectively great film, it’s just better than everything in the SW canon apart from ESB and maybe ANH. That’s not a high bar?

The writing in the film is adequate for the plot, and this is a plot movie, not a character study. I’m not going to play ‘what if’ and posit a whole other team of screenwriters who might have created a masterpiece, because that didn’t happen. My points of comparison for the writing are George Lucas and JJ Abrams, and I don’t think the film would be improved if they’d written and directed it instead.

You seem to be asking the question ‘how could it be better’ while I’m saying we’re lucky it wasn’t so much worse.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
People keep doing these very particular and annoying things in this thread like saying singular "Star War" and quoting "I sure am tired of all these Star Wars" and referring to the Emperor as "Sheev", and I don't know what all these are referencing but can we all knock it off cause goddamn is it tedious

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

People keep doing these very particular and annoying things in this thread like saying singular "Star War" and quoting "I sure am tired of all these Star Wars" and referring to the Emperor as "Sheev", and I don't know what all these are referencing but can we all knock it off cause goddamn is it tedious

It acts as a reminder from GBS that we’re not in Cine D.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

So is it a stah wah or a stor wor? There are arguments on each side

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
pahk the stah wah in the emperah pahlpaine surgical rehahbilitation centah yahd

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Torquemada posted:

The writing in the film is adequate for the plot,

No it is not it's identifiably lacking in major ways

Torquemada posted:

and this is a plot movie, not a character study.

Are the original three character studies?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
So they conspicuously haven't shown the Emperor at all and this being a JJ Abrams movie this means they are specifically hiding that it sucks in some way. Like he's gonna have a dumb new look or he only appears for like 30 seconds or something, but it's pretty much Abrams' signature move to cover up the lame stuff by making it look "all part of the fun mystery!"

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Kazak posted:

Are the original three character studies?

No, they also have an adequate amount of character for a space action movie for children. The original three are a lot closer to Rogue One than they are to There Will Be Blood.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Space action movies for kids can and should still make time to learn the who and why of the people we're following, and if we're lucky maybe they even get an arc

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Sometimes they get an arc and it sucks more than vaguery (TPM, AotC etc.)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Torquemada posted:

Why do I hate these so much, I’m trying to figure it out. I don’t hate 1-3: they’re poo poo, but I don’t actually hate them.

i really like episode 1-3 because it feels like an Issac Asimov story and i am a big fan of Asimov. all of the characters are basically one dimensional, but thats not the point. its a story about the evolution of galactic society, the chacaters are just pawns in the greater picture.

i hate the new star wars, because its exactly the opposite. i don't think they even bothered to think about galactic politics or the evolution of this gigantic society. its just a series of pointless laser battles

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Torquemada posted:

Sometimes they get an arc and it sucks more than vaguery (TPM, AotC etc.)

Well that's George Lucas doing uhh I'm not so sure what he was after.

The prequels are bad but in a different way, they are the result of one person's unchecked creative freedom. this new trilogy is so heavily restrained and workshopped by the studio that it doesn't have any underlying feeling, just inspirational checkboxes.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Kazak posted:

Well that's George Lucas doing uhh I'm not so sure what he was after.

The prequels are bad but in a different way, they are the result of one person's unchecked creative freedom. this new trilogy is so heavily restrained and workshopped by the studio that it doesn't have any underlying feeling, just inspirational checkboxes.

Well Episode I is, II and III are kind of that just with a heavy dose of wanting to get them done without having to get out of the chair.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

lol George Lucas was probably infuriating to work for if you were even lightly invested in storytelling

Count... Dooku

General... Grievous

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Darth Icky

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Obi-Vey Gevalt

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Dexter Jettster

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Darth... Plague...is

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mozi posted:

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Nice try, but I think Douglas Addams deliberately tried to come up with silly names, whereas with George Lucas I believe his process is closer to how the Emperor came up with Darth... Vader in Episode III, a mixture of just drawing poo poo out of a hat and deranged free association.

e: That's a difference between new and old Star Wars. While the names in new Star Wars feel pretty Star Wars they also feel like they've been deliberately workshopped or cooked up by an algorith to make a Star Wars-sounding name. Whereas the old ones are consistent mostly because it's the same, increasingly old, man, sitting at his desk and trying to think of a name to put in the script to his movie which starts shooting on Monday.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 27, 2019

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The emperor is just gonna be George Lucas in this movie

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

sheev

SHEEV

SHEEEEEEEV

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

piratepilates posted:

sheev

SHEEV

SHEEEEEEEV

ElectricSheep posted:

lol

sheev fucks

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Rogue one is good. Not gonna write a novel explaining why, lol at the idea of ever winning someone to a position online.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Rogue one has an amazing third act, but if you only do the last third of your homework and leave the rest blank you're still topping out at 33% if you do it perfectly.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Star Wars is best when its directly aping ww2 movie battles or samurai/western showdowns

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kuato posted:

Rogue one is good. Not gonna write a novel explaining why, lol at the idea of ever winning someone to a position online.

Ya it was decent and I liked that they won, and then sat on the beach bein chums while the world blew up

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

Rogue one has an amazing third act, but if you only do the last third of your homework and leave the rest blank you're still topping out at 33% if you do it perfectly.
very true. if you jump in just before the end, your brain fills in all the poo poo that should've been in the first 2/3 and it feels like a real movie.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
Rogue one captured a lot of the original trilogy's essence where you hint towards a much grander universe without spelling out the back story. I was frustrated with the traitor pilot in the cage with the monster not causing any effect on the plot but everything else seems to come together we'll enough.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i just hated all the characters and characterization in rogue one, so it was hard to enjoy the movie cuz i just kept thinking, "wow, these people all suck and are doing stupid poo poo all the time and who even cares about any of this poo poo. why is this how the death star plans got stolen? poor manny"

in short, it was bad

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

focus groups? in MY star wars? Not likely

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Horizon Burning posted:

he has a whole loving bit with jyn where he says he's been a child soldier since he was like eight years old lmao

goons are so bad at watching movies

How does this articulate his character's motivations?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

barnacle jyn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

excuse me. excuse me. this is the Star War's thread. not the hammer wars thread.