Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

He could have, like, talked to them and gotten them to move maybe. Even threatening to call the cops before actually doing it even would be better

Calling the cops on someone should be considered an act on the level of pointing a loaded gun on them in the US.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for calling the cops on a food truck?

There is a food truck that comes to serve the construction workers that work at a site near my work. Most days when I'm walking home from work for lunch, I see this truck parked near the corner, always at least partly into the crosswalk. I know that they have been warned before and been asked to move, but afterwards the truck went right back to parking into the crosswalk. Yesterday, as I was walking home, the food truck was parked fully across the crosswalk, meaning that anyone who wanted to cross the street had to step out into traffic, and that anyone in a wheelchair would've been entirely hosed. So I took a picture of the plate and reported them to the police. AITA?

Edit: I realized I didn't put this in. The reason I'm asking is because I started to feel bad a little later in the day.

It's just a single paragraph folks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

He could have, like, talked to them and gotten them to move maybe. Even threatening to call the cops before actually doing it even would be better

Calling the cops on someone should be considered an act on the level of pointing a loaded gun on them in the US.

How many times per day are the cops called to deal with a violent, dangerous, hazardous, or citation worthy incident?

How many times does it result in someone being murdered over a trivial issue or a "misidentification"?

Given the ratio of those numbers is ppl dead/#of cop calls what ratio do you think is appropriate that the cops should never be called on someone committing domestic violence?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Broke up with me after waiting for him through his whole deployment because I’m not Christian enough.

quote:

I [F28) was dating a guy for [m25] a year and he just broke up with me. He was deployed for the last six months, came back and had sex, broke up with me 2 days later. He grew up Christian and was waiting for marriage until sex until he broke that 2 years ago, not with me. We start dating and I tell him that I’m not the religious type of girl that has bible quotes on social media and goes to church every Sunday. I told him I believe in kindness first and how people are. He said it was ok.

While we were dating we had a few issues because he believes being gay is a choice even though he has gay friends he still thinks it’s a sin. I’m Mexican and I have a few immigrant people in my family and his whole family that I had on Facebook would post hateful things about immigrants and Mexicans. While I respect everyone’s opinions I feel like you shouldn’t be hateful. You can hate illegal immigration without hating the people. He also had a lot of issues with sex. We would have sex then he would feel guilty and we would stop. Then a few weeks later start again. I also found out he had 2 Snapchat premium girls.

While he was deployed I asked him a few times if he was sure of our relationship and he said yes all the time. I spent the whole summer home while he was deployed and talked to him everyday and sent him care packages. We made so many plans for his return. He comes back, has sex, then leaves to the state where his religious family leaves. The second day he was there he breaks up with me. He said he had been feeling like we weren’t right for each other for months and that he never felt any spark.

He said he sometimes thought about his ex girlfriend who was really Christian like him (she cheated on him though) and that we never really had that deep Jesus connection. He said he prayed about it and God told him to break up with me I guess. He wants someone who is Christian as he is. It hurts cause I would go to church with him every weekend and we would even stop having sex. He wants to date to marry and he doesn’t see him marrying me. He blocked me and I saw that he had added those Snapchat premium girls back on instagrams and a few girls that tried to talk to him while we were together.

I am just feeling really worthless at the moment. I feel like he only used me for my looks. People generally say I’m extremely attractive and they couldn’t believe I was with a guy like him. I never really cared because I go for feelings and how people are, and as long as I’m attracted to them that’s all I care about. I think he wanted a “hot” girl to just mess around but ultimately he wants to marry a perfect Christian white girl. It doesn’t matter how kind I am, the way I treat people, if I volunteer, all he cares is that you’re the most Christian girl ever. How do I move past this? It’s like I want him to see that I’m good enough even if I’m not as Christian as him. I will not contact but I just don’t know how to stop caring. Am I right to be upset that he broke up with me 2 days after his 6 month deployment? Who does that? I was always good to him but he will always see himself and everyone else above anyone who is not as Christian as he.

TLDR: boyfriend broke up with me 2 days after returning from deployment and I don’t know how to stop caring about what he thinks of me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I think my (F22) boyfriend (M36) and I handle our finances very differently and it's starting to really stress me out. Relationships
submitted 11 hours ago * by throwaway284839483

quote:

Oops sorry folks, boyfriend is 26 years old not 36***

I have been ruminating on this all day, but my thoughts are a little all over the place and I'm sorry for that in advance.

Some information I feel is relevant: My boyfriend and I have been in a long distance relationship for years. A parent of my boyfriend passed away a few months ago and this will be the first holiday without them. It was discussed that I would spend the holidays with him and stay for a few months. I did fly over for a visit to attend the memorial a couple of months ago. It was (obviously) a very last minute trip given the circumstances, so I had to use some savings. This is a-okay, I wanted to be there to support him and his family. But now I'm really starting to think that this trip would be a poor financial decision for me...

I work retail and anyone who has worked retail knows that December is a black-out period in terms of annual leave, so I was prepared to resign from my position despite really loving my job. There have been a lot of resignations lately, which has been a little worried for the remaining staff, but frankly that's not my responsibility I guess. I was hoping to really save up in this time and replenish my savings. I recently got a promotion with a little pay rise and have a drastic increase in hours (currently working about 30 hours a week and making about $700-ish after tax per week). I understand this isn't a lot of hours and, believe me, if I could've gotten another job or two I would've. But my boyfriend does not like me working so much (despite it being necessary to cover his expenses).

I feel like I have gotten no where in terms of saving though because I am covering so many of my boyfriends expenses (car payments, phone bill, gas) and this has me stressed out. My savings has already dipped so much from lending him money to purchase his car. He does not have an income, but has several entrepreneurial ideas started/starting that have not brought in any revenue yet. Note: I've funded these. When we discussed me visiting for the holidays though, it was discussed that he would be making some money by now. Now I'm concerned that by the time I pay for airfares (around $2,500 at this time of year), pay for his expenses, travel insurance, and heck even the appropriate winter attire for the trip (not familiar with winter at all. Brownie points for anyone who can guess where we're from), I'll be so depleted and I will not have a job to come back to. He says that if we are in need of money while I'm visiting, he'll get a job. But that scares me. Also note, he does not want me to work while there or work after moving to his country. It scares me that I'll have to be reliant on him when I have no savings in a foreign country away from my family and friends. It also makes me wonder if we just have a fundamental difference in how we view our finances.

So, I have a couple of questions: A. Would this trip me a poor financial decision on my behalf? I recognise the emotional significance of the holiday and would absolutely love to be there, but at the current rate, I am concerned that I'll be putting myself in a really bad position, especially if this relationship does not work out. I think no longer going will be really, really detrimental to my relationship. As in, the end of the relationship. Part of me feels like throwing caution to the wind, another part is super stressed. B. What the heck do I do about this?

TL;DR: Was discussed to visit my LDR boyfriend for the holidays. I'm afraid it's a bad idea due to how much of my boyfriend's expenses I cover. It's making it near impossible to save in such a short amount of time.

I ran out of bold tags part of the way through. Consider all of it in bold.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Fiancé [21M] hinted that he wants me [19F] to use skin-whitening creams, am I childish for being upset?

quote:

I'm using a throwaway because my fiancé knows my actual username. We have been together for about 6 months, but in our culture/religion relationships tend to move very "fast" and marriage is usually at a young age. Also side note, my fiancé is a very fair-skinned Arab guy (his whole family is also fair-skinned), meanwhile I have Desi roots.

I'm going to start by saying that me and him never fight, not because either one of us would be scared to do so, but because we literally have nothing to fight about. He is an amazing person in every way and I know that he genuinely cares about me and he shows it really well, even by saving my life a few times. We are set to get married in a couple of months, and I am very excited for it. He is truly a great guy, takes care of me and treats me well.

The problem started a few weeks back, when he first hinted that my skin colour is too dark for his taste. He talked about how he likes girls with pale skin, and then said that if my skin colour was even a shade or more darker, it would've been a dealbreaker for him, but that at the moment I'm perfect in every way.

Maybe a week or so after that, he was talking again about how great pale skin looks and said that he could never be with a "brown person" (I am Desi and therefore also a brown person, although my skin is a bit lighter than the average Desi's), and said that I'd look better if my skin was just a tad bit lighter. He then said that he wouldn't mind me using skin-whitening creams. I didn't really know how to react to that, but it made me feel like crap.

A few days back, he was comparing our skin colours and pointed out how my skin is darker than his. I expressed that him saying that (not just that my skin is darker, but combined to all of his previous comments) made me feel unhappy, and after that he hasn't mentioned it again. He never apologised, though.

As I said, we haven't talked about it again, but I'm still thinking about the fact that he thinks I'd look better with lighter skin, and I feel as if I'm not good enough the way I am. Even though he hasn't said anything, I'm still upset. Is it normal for me to feel that way or am I just being childish or thinking too deep into it?

TL;DR: fiancé mentioned he likes lighter-skinned girls, hinted that he wouldn't mind me using skin-whitening creams, brought it up with him, he didn't apologise, am I thinking too deep into it?

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

Megillah Gorilla posted:

^^^ If I was told I had a $15000 key I had to personally pay to replace, I'd walk straight to a locksmith and have a dozen copies made.

There's all sorts of keys where that's not an option, unfortunately

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

DemoneeHo posted:

Fiancé [21M] hinted that he wants me [19F] to use skin-whitening creams, am I childish for being upset?

Dump him into the sea. Bleaching creams are horrendous for your skin and health, not to mention the hosed up racist attitudes of the boyfriend.

Like find this man, find the most contaminated lake in your area, and abandon him there, preferably under the water.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

teen witch posted:

Dump him into the sea. Bleaching creams are horrendous for your skin and health, not to mention the hosed up racist attitudes of the boyfriend.

Like find this man, find the most contaminated lake in your area, and abandon him there, preferably under the water.

I was thinking get a concealed carry permit, then replay every conversation he's had with skin tone and replace it with length.

"If you were any shorter down there it'd be a deal breaker."
"Man being with someone long is so great, I could never be with someone under eight inches long. You'd be even better an inch longer! I wouldn't mind you getting an implant!"
etc...

(CCP because he's obviously going to try to kill her at that point, because he's loving broke brained.)

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
Restaurants (the kind that are in buildings with no wheels under them) have been one of the prime ways for immigrant groups from ethnicities around the world, to establish themselves and connect with the communities they move into - regardless of their education or what they left behind - in America for the last century. I know some aspects of the American economy have changed in the past fifteen years or so, but is it basically that small businesses can only get a truck loan or something and all else is Chipotle?

The idea that I am oppressing people of color because I don't want to pay twelve bucks for a grilled gouda and maple bacon with extra diesel exhaust from Lovin You Is Cheesy Cuz You're Beautiful that parks in the financial district at midday, okay, yes, I'm canceled.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Actually getting space for a restaurant is far more expensive than a food truck if your space is good for a restaurant. Tons of awesome places close quickly because they’re in a lovely place with no traffic, like being buried in the back of a plaza in an area that’s just suburbs and office parks in urban sprawl.

Also don’t loving call the cops if you don’t want people to die.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

chitoryu12 posted:

Actually getting space for a restaurant is far more expensive than a food truck if your space is good for a restaurant. Tons of awesome places close quickly because they’re in a lovely place with no traffic, like being buried in the back of a plaza in an area that’s just suburbs and office parks in urban sprawl.

Also don’t loving call the cops if you don’t want people to die.

What else do you do about the truck owner who has ignored previous warnings and is endangering pedestrians then?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

What else do you do about the truck owner who has ignored previous warnings and is endangering pedestrians then?

Ask them nicely. Duh.

Even though they clearly know what they are doing and don’t give a flying gently caress.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
^^^
They'd already brought that to their attention. Cops suck, is parking enforcement a better choice here? I honestly don't know.

Pinecone Sample posted:

The idea that I am oppressing people of color because I don't want to pay twelve bucks for a grilled gouda ...
Sorry dude that's disingenuous as all hell because

quote:

There is a food truck that comes to serve the construction workers that work at a site near my work.
It's really unlikely these guys are queuing up for Lobster Rolls, Bisque and Perogis during their 40 minute break.

I'll cop to being a douche about this, but only because the smug assertion that maybe they can get a place without wheels and with, like, a bathroom reinforces those prejudices against the kinds of food trucks that feed working class folks are are generally looked down upon.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 27, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Talk to the construction site to see if they’d be willing to ask the truck they’re giving business to? Slash their tires? Code enforcement? Lots of options that don’t involve calling twitchy macho douchebags with a license to kill and itchy trigger finger.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Talk to the construction site to see if they’d be willing to ask the truck they’re giving business to? Slash their tires? Code enforcement? Lots of options that don’t involve calling twitchy macho douchebags with a license to kill and itchy trigger finger.

Lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DemoneeHo posted:

Broke up with me after waiting for him through his whole deployment because I’m not Christian enough.

TLDR: boyfriend broke up with me 2 days after returning from deployment and I don’t know how to stop caring about what he thinks of me.

burn all his stuff and take a dump on his car. you dodged a bullet

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
My (30M) wife (29F) met a woman on Reddit and in HOURS they were swapping nudes (we have agreed that we both consider that cheating for our marriage). Now she says that it’s because she’s not equipped to say no to women because she’s not used to it and needs therapy to learn how to say no to them.

quote:

Yeah so she did this poo poo and is all “I’m bisexual but married to a man and never knew I was queer until after we were married so I’m not equipped to say no when a woman tells me I’m beautiful. I’m going to go to therapy and work every day to get better.”

We are NOT polyamorous, and when she DID come out I asked her if that was something she needed to feel complete, even though I’m positive it would kill me, I was willing to at least talk about it. I really do want to support her, but on the surface of it I feel betrayed like she’s using orientation to justify being a ho.

It should be noted she is SUPER paranoid of me and has yelled at me countless times for having women friends and will check my phone and poo poo while I sleep. I put a stop to that stuff and I think maybe this was her trying to cope? Idk. It sucks. Not the worst that could happen by any means, but to my LGBTQ friends: is there some difference between being attracted to men vs being attracted to women that makes one of them just goddamn irresistible? Because I always thought you avoided cheating with one the same way you do the other: by just NOT loving around.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh my God.... Yeah, totally, slashing tires is normal and not at all insane.

I hate this dumb childish cop nonsense. Yes, American police forces tend to attract psychos due to unchecked authority and power+constantly covering up illegal poo poo, of course. It's a major problem! But that doesn't mean all cops are these roving murder squads full of Judge Dredds, cackling maniacally as they draw up plans to destroy all minorities for no reason.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Miserable Maid posted:

all cops are these roving murder squads full of Judge Dredds, cackling maniacally as they draw up plans to destroy all minorities for no reason.

ftfy

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Miserable Maid posted:

I hate this dumb childish cop nonsense. Yes, American police forces tend to attract psychos due to unchecked authority and power+constantly covering up illegal poo poo, of course. It's a major problem! But that doesn't mean all cops are these roving murder squads full of Judge Dredds, cackling maniacally as they draw up plans to destroy all minorities for no reason.

"no it's okay, we can call the cops, they only might kill you for not being white"

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Pinecone Sample posted:

Restaurants (the kind that are in buildings with no wheels under them)

What you said after this applies to both buildings and mobile stands/trucks.
There is controversy over whether what you said was racist, classist or what have you. But what is completely certain is that what you said is dumb as hell, and continues to be so.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

razorrozar posted:

"no it's okay, we can call the cops, they only might kill you for not being white"

“No it’s ok you can send your kid to school, they only migjt die in a school shooting” - Noted homeschooler Razorrozar.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Hughlander posted:

“No it’s ok you can send your kid to school, they only migjt die in a school shooting” - Noted homeschooler Razorrozar.

imagine bringing a kid into this dying world lmao

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
avoid the cops but if there’s parking enforcement yeah.

Alternative route would to Karen it up - it’s totally justifiable. Tell their customers, spam their Yelp, go to the media - every action minus cops is fine.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grape posted:

What you said after this applies to both buildings and mobile stands/trucks.
There is controversy over whether what you said was racist, classist or what have you. But what is completely certain is that what you said is dumb as hell, and continues to be so.

Citation needed. How is it racist?

It’s not that dumb I know quite a few immigrant family’s that case here and pooled their money and still run the restaurants now.

A pho place opened in my white as gently caress town and owners sure aren’t white. :shrug:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

MarcusSA posted:

Citation needed. How is it racist?

It’s not that dumb I know quite a few immigrant family’s that case here and pooled their money and still run the restaurants now.

A pho place opened in my white as gently caress town and owners sure aren’t white. :shrug:

You dingus.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Miserable Maid posted:

you think shoplifting hurts the cashiers

hmm it's almost like there's a trend in your posts of licking, nay, deepthroating the boot

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pinecone Sample posted:

Searched Selena Gomez

Marital problems. Husband [28 M] has nightmares over racial issues and was made redundant as well, I [27 F] don't know how to help him.

He said to me "I've decided to become a priest to avoid job stress, it's a good job with no boss yelling at me"

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Just wait until the blue hair sneaker brigade gets ahold of him.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

“Calling the cops without even saying anything to the probably immigrant workers doing something that inconveniences you in 2019 is good actually” :agesilaus:

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

ah yes the plight of the poor small business owner who exploits public services for his own gain is a classic tragedy. Of course they deserve to use up as much of the sidewalk as wanted, and any punishment including but not limited to death by cop is practically an attack on this great country.

quote:

Boyfriend (24M) has a pattern of lying to my face (23F) about progressively more suspicious things- where to go from here?

We have been together for nearly two years now and (I thought) could tell each other everything- I am pretty honest and have never lied to him about even very small things.

However this weekend he was going home for one evening- earlier in the week he had invited me, but when I mentioned it on that morning he said I couldn't come any more as he was catching up with friends- that would've been fine but I can tell when he's lying and it really upset me- I kept saying again and again, 'tell me the truth', to the point where I was sobbing because he was acting so suspiciously about it- he insisted, to my face as I was sobbing that he was telling the truth.

Around thirty minutes later he decided to come clean and say 'okay I was lying'- turns out he was lying about which friends he was seeing and what he was going to do- he says instead he was going to a 'party'. I wouldn't have minded at all if he had said this upfront- so why would he lie about this??

It seems so sociopathic to me that he could insist he was telling the truth to his sobbing girlfriend who could tell otherwise- he is usually so nice but this seems so calculating, manipulative and controlling to me. As I was crying he told me I was being 'too paranoid'- when I was right all along- he essentially gaslit me into believing I was going crazy by suspecting him of lying.

This isnt the first time he has lied to me about stuff that seems inconsequential- however this time the gaslighting was really bad and seemed manipulative.

To me, lying about where you are going and who you are with is a HUGE red flag for me, and the trust for me is now essentially gone. My self confidence is now very low as I don't know why I deserve to be lied to.

I think he needs therapy for this habitual lying- however if he doesn't get it (or can't afford it) what should I realistically do?

Help! I've identified a HUGE red flag and there is no trust at all left in my relationship! What should I do?!? I do still want this relationship to survive as the rest of it is really good

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hughlander posted:

The chance of dying in a school shooting is lower than being struck by lightning or dying of a bee sting, whereas cops kill and maim everyone they can and you’re suggesting bringing them in on purpose.

So it’s a more apt comparison if you were advocating randomly firing a shotgun at schools to keep them on their toes.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
While it is possible that calling the police can result in a shooting, it is also not likely. See: roughly 1,000 people are shot by the police every year, and by comparison there are over 240 million calls to 911. Meanwhile, we're not talking about calling the police on a family barbeque in a public park - if the food truck is parked in the crosswalk and forcing people to go around and cross in traffic, the threat of someone getting injured as a result is far, far more likely than the vanishingly small chance of the cop deciding to flat-out murder a person instead of just issuing them a ticket and forcing them to move.

There are an immense number of issues with policing in America, the danger of calling them is not non-zero, and actively trying to not get the police involved when there's no threat to public safety is certainly admirable, but... there is a threat here, one that needs to be addressed.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Propaniac posted:

WIBTA if I continued to ask uncomfortable questions until being told to stop?

Just lol if you think this is anything other than incel writing fiction to feel smug about how he thinks the "Stacey's" go through life.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Acebuckeye13 posted:

While it is possible that calling the police can result in a shooting, it is also not likely. See: roughly 1,000 people are shot by the police every year, and by comparison there are over 240 million calls to 911. Meanwhile, we're not talking about calling the police on a family barbeque in a public park - if the food truck is parked in the crosswalk and forcing people to go around and cross in traffic, the threat of someone getting injured as a result is far, far more likely than the vanishingly small chance of the cop deciding to flat-out murder a person instead of just issuing them a ticket and forcing them to move.

There are an immense number of issues with policing in America, the danger of calling them is not non-zero, and actively trying to not get the police involved when there's no threat to public safety is certainly admirable, but... there is a threat here, one that needs to be addressed.

There is a precise number of police performing extrajudicial killings that should happen when call them about something. It's 0. Any more than that and you have a problem.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Inceltown posted:

There is a precise number of police performing extrajudicial killings that should happen when call them about something. It's 0. Any more than that and you have a problem.

This is very true and it's extremely hosed up!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Inceltown posted:

I’d like to live in this magical world.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

chitoryu12 posted:

The chance of dying in a school shooting is lower than being struck by lightning or dying of a bee sting, whereas cops kill and maim everyone they can and you’re suggesting bringing them in on purpose.

So it’s a more apt comparison if you were advocating randomly firing a shotgun at schools to keep them on their toes.
School shooting victims: 10 years. 180 school shootings. 356 victims. out of about 50 million school age children.
Chance of a random US school age child being killed in a school shooting: 0.000712%

Police shootings in 2018: 992 out of 330million
Chance of a random US resident being killed by police 0.0003%

Lightning strikes by lightning: The odds of becoming a lightning victim in the U.S. in any one year is 1 in 700,000
Chance of a random US resident being struck by lightning: 0.00014%

Bee Stings: From 2000 to 2017, stings from that group of insects were responsible for 1,109 deaths, or roughly 62 fatalities each year, the CDC said.
Chance of a random US resident being killed by a bee: 0.00002%

So: Bee stings are not comparable, please don't defame bees who are already suffering by comparing them with murderers and lightning strikes.

Cops are twice as bad as lightning strikes, but for the average (read white) person schools are in fact more than twice as dangerous as cops. (So schools are at least 5 times more dangerous than lightning for all kids probably more). Cops don't kill at random, though, so for some people cops are less of a concern for other they are more of a concern.

Murder by cops is a serious societal concern because unlike lightning strikes or school shooters they are given their weapons by the state and should be vetted and controlled better to avoid their miscarriages of justice. That said, calling the cops on a business in public during daylight hours for a traffic violation is much less likely to result in a shooting than your average cop visit, let alone the actually dangerous ones, so go ahead and call the cops on the business that has been warned and is willfully endangering pedestrians when they could have just parked 10 feet back or forward.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

MarcusSA posted:

I’d like to live in this magical world.

Aren't you a cop? Be the change you want to see.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Motronic posted:

This really sounds like a goon goony GBS thing to say. Would you care to explain your reasons in detail?

Are you saying that non-white people aren't allowed to rent a building to run their restaurants in and instead have to buy trucks? Or that somehow non-white people aren't capable of having a restaurant that is successful enough to operate that way? Or are food safety standards and traffic markings simply discriminatory and should be abolished?

Restaurants are very expensive to own and operate and have historically shut out poor folks for obvious reasons, who are predominantly people of color in America. POCs are also denied bank loans to raise the capital needed to open a restaurant, or even the right to rent or buy a property at all, at rates much higher than white people. This is why the idea of the (ethnic) food truck, which was championed to great success by Latinos and taco trucks in the 70s and 80s, is an awesome thing and allows black/Latin/Muslim/etc Americans to sell their cuisine to the general population. Saying "Oh yeah, maybe food should be sold inside buildings and not trucks" is a horribly lovely, hyper privileged attitude that marginalizes the intense discrimination POCs face when attempting to start a food service establishment and shifts the restaurant industry even further towards wealthy white folks who already dominate.

Also are you aware of the ages-old stereotype of "roach coaches" advanced by racist assholes, mostly during the 1980s, against enterprising Latinos and their taco trucks? There's already this idea that food trucks run by POCs are "dirty" and "gross" and saying that kind of garbage just perpetuates the prejudice by uninformed types who happen upon a taco truck or halal food stand.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

It's strange to think about what advantages a mobile eatery might have over a stationary building. Denying me bathroom access probably.
How the public must deal with my poop.