Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Big Huski Boi posted:

Do you think the target of his jokes are minority groups?

They aren't his target, but its at the expense of them and their justifiable outrage at racially insensitive costumes. Like it word for word him co-opting a saying people genuinely use around this time to speak out about casual racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

They aren't his target, but its at the expense of them and their justifiable outrage at racially insensitive costumes

I don't agree. The joke is at the expense of himself thinking he's a dinosaur. He's not mocking people who sincerely deal with these things, he's mocking himself.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Vellius posted:

i don't think that anyone is saying that he's racist, just that his (presumably) well-meaning joke has a weird mouthfeel because despite clearly being a riff on his gimmick where he's a lucha dinosaur, it's the kind of joke a smaller, smoother mind would make with crueler intentions.

Yeah. Boom. Exactly.

Big Huski Boi posted:

I don't agree. The joke is at the expense of himself thinking he's a dinosaur. He's not mocking people who sincerely deal with these things, he's mocking himself.

Uh, he doesn't think he's a dinosaur, pal, he is a dinosaur. :colbert:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MJeff posted:

Like, I don't think Luchasaurus is trying to do this. But this feels like the kind of gimmick you'd do if you were trying to mock minorities and LGBT.
Exactly. I'm almost positive he doesn't get why it's inappropriate. Like, if I was his buddy, I'd absolutely be calling him in to explain why it's not a super cool thing to appropriate the language of people fighting for actual rights and equal treatment under the law and to not use your heritage as a crass Halloween costume for your wrestling dinosaur gimmick.

It's the exact same joke as "I identify as an attack helicopter."

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I want to believe it’s truly just peak white liberal blindspot, but that doesn’t excuse it or make it better.
Seems that way to me.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
If you think that post was anything other than a harmless joke you are completely cooked

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

It's the exact same joke as "I identify as an attack helicopter."

It's really not, though. It's 100% not.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he's not being racist. it's easily possible that he is not knowingly doing anything except having fun. You just don't use real issues for minorities to make jokes out of. it's dumb and bad. "Don't appropriate dinosaur culture!" and jokes of that ilk help make the entire concept be taken less seriously, little by little, and that's not what is needed right now. I really don't care what his intent is, or anyone's, when they do that. Because it's irrelevant

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Calling AEW asking for them to release the dinosaur man as we speak. Sending some dinosaur emojis in the follow-up email as well.

That’ll show him.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Sionistic posted:

If you think that post was anything other than a harmless joke you are completely cooked

Nobody is saying it wasn't. In fact, pretty much everybody here agrees Luchasaurus probably didn't have any malicious intent.

It's okay to just discuss these things without accusing anybody of anything.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Big Huski Boi posted:

It's really not, though. It's 100% not.
How do you figure? It's "what if I used the language of social justice, but add one ridiculous element," played for laughs. That's the same joke.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
The joke sucks on top of co-opting people's legitimate criticism of racially insensitive costumes. No ones calling him racist, they're calling him dumb and tone deaf for his bad in character tweets.

Cavauro posted:

he's not being racist. it's easily possible that he is not knowingly doing anything except having fun. You just don't use real issues for minorities to make jokes out of. it's dumb and bad. "Don't appropriate dinosaur culture!" and jokes of that ilk help make the entire concept be taken less seriously, little by little, and that's not what is needed right now. I really don't care what his intent is, or anyone's, when they do that. Because it's irrelevant

this is pretty much exactly why people see his tweets like that as bad, because it delegitimizes people who speak up about similar stuff.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

How do you figure? It's "what if I used the language of social justice, but add one ridiculous element," played for laughs. That's the same joke.

Because when you say "I identify as an attack helicopter" you are doing nothing but mocking trans people. That's the whole point of that "joke." When you are a grown man dressed as a dinosaur who is speaking as if he truly believes he is a dinosaur, you are mocking the grown man dressed as a dinosaur.

It may well be in poor taste but to suggest the butt of the joke is intended to be anyone but himself is absurd.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!

MJeff posted:

Nobody is saying it wasn't. In fact, pretty much everybody here agrees Luchasaurus probably didn't have any malicious intent.

Wasnt directed at anyone specifically. I should have put if anyone

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sionistic posted:

Almost every single person posting about this are in complete agreement that Luchasaurus isn't being malicious or cruel in his joke, nobody is calling for his head on his plate or burning their Jurassic Express merchandise. The literal discussion is on how the joke is unfortunately placed and structured in a similar fashion to "jokes" that are nasty and demeaning. It's a perfect valid point of discussion, and trying to dismiss it as just a harmless joke is missing the actual point people are (very politely and proactively) making.

MJeff posted:

:agreed:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Big Huski Boi posted:

Because when you say "I identify as an attack helicopter" you are doing nothing but mocking trans people. That's the whole point of that "joke." When you are a grown man dressed as a dinosaur who is speaking as if he truly believes he is a dinosaur, you are mocking the grown man dressed as a dinosaur.

It may well be in poor taste but to suggest the butt of the joke is intended to be anyone but himself is absurd.

You're reading past people. No one thinks the butt of his joke is POC. But it's a play on a phrase that is used to push back against racists and there are absolutely going to be racists who will read the joke and think "oh he's making fun of that dumb slogan, he's one of us". I don't think anyone here thinks Luchasaurus is doing it intentionally, he just doesn't realize that some people are going to read it as approval for their lovely views.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
https://twitter.com/RichHomieJuice/status/1188479555905953792

https://twitter.com/JMBall21/status/1188527725251911680

Vellius
Sep 22, 2007

Big Huski Boi posted:

he could have made this joke without using the exact verbiage associated with actual minorities pushing back against actually lovely costumes, though.

there are a lot of words in the english language, and they can be combined in a lot of ways; was that really the only combination possible? that's the awkward thing, here.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I admit I'm not actually sure what the significance of the first tweet is but I love the second regardless :haw:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

You're reading past people. No one thinks the butt of his joke is POC. But it's a play on a phrase that is used to push back against racists and there are absolutely going to be racists who will read the joke and think "oh he's making fun of that dumb slogan, he's one of us". I don't think anyone here thinks Luchasaurus is doing it intentionally, he just doesn't realize that some people are going to read it as approval for their lovely views.

No, I'm not. The entire point of the "attack helicopter" joke is to mock a minority group, and to draw a direct equivalence between that and what Luchasaurus is doing is to accuse him of the same thing.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

LividLiquid posted:

Big Huski Boi posted:

The key here is, again, Luchasaurus probably doesn't have any bad intent, but even without bad intent, you can still do stuff that's hurtful.

Sionistic posted:

Wasnt directed at anyone specifically. I should have put if anyone

I get it. I've been guilty of reducing these discussions to "stop trying to act like the dude I like is a bad guy" before and I just realized it's, uh, kind of unhelpful and escalates things, rather than keeping them in a civil place.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Big Huski Boi posted:

the riffs on the "my culture is not a costume" posters are a thing outside of the joke he was making and are actually factually used in the same way that the attack helicopter stuff is used, you're just much more familiar with the dogwhistle nature of the latter

could it be used as a meme by somebody who doesn't realize the implications and didn't reflect on it at all? yeah, and literally nobody was saying it was anything more than that. it doesn't mean that it's *not* a lovely joke, just one of the ones that go under the radar for people who aren't part of the targeted groups

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

I had a little chuckle at the joke

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm going to call a halt to this discussion now because I can only see it getting worse from here. Everybody has made their points, almost everybody is apparently in complete agreement but getting upset at each other anyway. Rest of the posts on this page need to be wrestler tweets/instagram posts etc.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MJeff posted:

The key here is, again, Luchasaurus probably doesn't have any bad intent, but even without bad intent, you can still do stuff that's hurtful.

To be clear, I definitely don't disagree, it's a dipshit joke and he shouldn't do it. But LividLiquid's post quite clearly suggested he was intentionally mocking minority groups and I don't think that's fair or accurate.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I admit I'm not actually sure what the significance of the first tweet is but I love the second regardless :haw:

The first tweet looks like GCW is doing a show that's focused on black wrestlers.

Vellius
Sep 22, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

it sounds like there's gonna be a collective show featuring black performers ('US' is not uncommonly used to refer to the community. ditto 'the culture'), which would be real cool.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Dinosaurs aren't even real y'all

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Choom Gangster posted:

Explain Reptar then, fuckface.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

https://twitter.com/Mckenzieas93/status/1188152024564584448

I assume this isn't 2k20 but it would probably fit right in.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Choom Gangster posted:

Then I opened the door and got on the floor for nothing... :negative:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

it is! a fan made creation.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

It's 2K20, but its someone's bad CAW. Unsure if its 2K actually making it bad though, signs point to no.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Looks to be about par with 2k’s official creations tbh

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

2K is already trying to hire whoever made that

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vellius posted:

it sounds like there's gonna be a collective show featuring black performers ('US' is not uncommonly used to refer to the community. ditto 'the culture'), which would be real cool.

And the red black and green in the show name.

Cool.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B4IY4uqp-ga/

Ali is so wholesome.

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

The quality of the model aside, what the gently caress is up with the shape of that hat

why is it so shiny

why why why why

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Huntman posted:

The quality of the model aside, what the gently caress is up with the shape of that hat

why is it so shiny

why why why why

they made jericho's forehead real big and the hat too shiny by making it out of some bad shiny material

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

https://twitter.com/CMPunk/status/1188610065177157633?s=19

https://twitter.com/CMPunk/status/1188614130250539008?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

https://twitter.com/SarahTheRebel/status/1188534749960126464

https://twitter.com/fxkdreaming/status/1188536408878788608