Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Humerus posted:

One of my favorite Gul Dukat moments was when he declared himself leader of Cardassia (well Weyoun let him) and he said he thought about giving himself a new title like First Minister because it really drove home the point that nobody took the provisional government seriously. He also suggested Emissary which was a little (unplanned I'm sure) foreshadowing.

The best part of this is that he doesn't realize it, but he's literally saying he chose the same path to insincere humility as a ruler that the various "Colonel" dictators of banana republics (and that one dude from the G vs E episode of TOS) have in Earth's past, and thereby making himself look all the more illegitimate and small in Sisko's, a student of Earth history, eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Snorb posted:

Well, when the studio asks "Can you make a movie for less than forty-five loving million dollars?" (actual quote) you need to same money somewhere!

Especially if you have some of the most iconic footage ever shot close to hand.

Oh god the music. Kirk's elevator ride with the somber music up to the bright, chirpy transition at "Admiral on the bridge" is such a highlight.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Refit bridge is awful depressing grey trash, though. Didn't sort that out until the A.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

Refit bridge is awful depressing grey trash, though. Didn't sort that out until the A.

ugh it bugs me how so many of the drat video screens are repeats of each other, I really like how the refit bridge has non-video display elements

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'll fully admit that one of my biggest criteria on which I judge sci-fi bridge sets is the admittedly childish notion of "how much fun would it be if I got to visit the set?", which leads me to inappropriately weight certain elements more than others.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
though my absolute favorite of all-time is still the first-season seaQuest DSV bridge

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

A ring world would probably work better than a sphere anyway. You could spin it up to give whatever gravity you want. Every point inside a hollow sphere is pulled equally by all points of the sphere, so everything just floats. If you spin it up, then there's only "gravity" on the equator. So you'd have to cover the entire interior with grav plating.

If you can build a rigid Dyson Sphere then equipping it with grav plating is probably so trivial that it doesn't even occur to consider not doing so.

edit: Very on topic for one of this threads favorite topics is this tidbit from the Memory Alpha entry on Dyson Spheres:

quote:

In the Deep Space Nine Millennium book series, Chief O'Brien is briefly trapped in a Pah-wraith Hell where he is forced to wander the interior of a Dyson sphere for several millennia, unable to understand how the sphere was constructed or learn anything about its creation.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 28, 2019

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

though my absolute favorite of all-time is still the first-season seaQuest DSV bridge

a cavernous expanse of metallic silver punctuated by joxer from xena

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Anyone else still listen to Mission Log? One of the hosts is leaving. The one whose always complaining about DS9 not being real Star Trek.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tighclops posted:

a cavernous expanse of metallic silver punctuated by joxer from xena

not one, not two, but four people at the helm driving the boat

giant rear-projection screens at each bridge station, and a nav-dome plot in the center

a cornucopia of tactile buttons and switches, with corresponding practical lights and lovingly foley'ed click-clack sound effects

armored clamshell doors

and a pool

:swoon:

Zesty posted:

Anyone else still listen to Mission Log? One of the hosts is leaving. The one whose always complaining about DS9 not being real Star Trek.

i don't listen to any trek podcasts because nobody has yet described one that i'd actually want to spend time listening to

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Cetacean ops!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

i don't listen to any trek podcasts because nobody has yet described one that i'd actually want to spend time listening to

Rachel Watches Star Trek is charming and entertaining. They are onto TAS right now :catdrugs: :spock:

On the other hand I listened to Greatest Generation because people ITT recommended it and it was awful, cringey obnoxious hosts and they didn't like DS9.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They like DS9

Just not as much as Discovery

The penalty is death

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

marktheando posted:

Rachel Watches Star Trek is charming and entertaining. They are onto TAS right now :catdrugs: :spock:

On the other hand I listened to Greatest Generation because people ITT recommended it and it was awful, cringey obnoxious hosts and they didn't like DS9.

I'll give Rachel Watches Star Trek a go at some point then!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

They like DS9

Just not as much as Discovery

The penalty is death

gently caress, I like Discovery but jesus that's a bad take

It's a good listen. American Trekkie watches Trek from the start with his English wife who has never seen it before. It's a lot of fun listening to her get more and more enthused about silly old space ship shows.

I'm hyped for them to get to TNG in the new year.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I was worried about the Greatest Gen guys early on in their DS9 episodes, because they really didn't seem to get it, but they've grown to like the characters and stories and it's much better now than it was in seasons one and two. They're not quite at TNG levels of adoration, but that's pretty understandable.

Now if they do Voyager next and like that, oof.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

marktheando posted:

gently caress, I like Discovery but jesus that's a bad take

It's also inaccurate, they like DS9 a lot. They were iffy on the first couple seasons but that's not beyond the pale.

I do not understand their praise for Discovery, but I get the impression from a couple things they've said (like they were told by CBS not to talk about the production problems) that they're being light on it in exchange for access to cool Trek poo poo, which I would also probably do if I were in their shoes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Take today's episode for instance. Kira's friends point their gun at O'Brien as he walks through the door, they spent 5 minutes talking about how this was a poor edit because it was cross cut when it should have been a J cut because it cut all tension seeing O'Brien's extended reaction. Then wondered if maybe they tried it both ways and the J cut just didn't work.

Except the tension in the scene had long been broken already and OBriens entrance was supposed to be comedic. They just spent five minutes in the weeds talking about how the tension could have been ratcheted up in this 2 second gag.

All their best gags were TNG character/setting based so after switching to DS9 while they still reference them sometimes it's mostly replaced by pedantry. They still don't have any great DS9 related material after 4 seasons. They have a running joke that Bashir loves to drink piss for some reason. They have a good Kurn impression that proved ultimately unsustainable since he's only in one episode.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 28, 2019

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

It's also inaccurate, they like DS9 a lot. They were iffy on the first couple seasons but that's not beyond the pale.

I do not understand their praise for Discovery, but I get the impression from a couple things they've said (like they were told by CBS not to talk about the production problems) that they're being light on it in exchange for access to cool Trek poo poo, which I would also probably do if I were in their shoes.

I only listened to their episode on Emissary, which was awful. It's not even an episode I like that much, but their opinions about it and the way they expressed them annoyed me a lot.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

All their best gags were TNG character/setting based so after switching to DS9 while they still reference them sometimes it's mostly replaced by pedantry. They still don't have any great DS9 related material after 4 seasons. They have a running joke that Bashir loves to drink piss for some reason. They have a good Kurn impression that proved ultimately unsustainable since he's only in one episode.

Kurn is great.

I actually am looking forward to Voyager, because I think part of the problem is DS9 is just really good, especially at the point they are, so there's not as much to make fun of. Voyager being dumb will be a show asset.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zurui posted:

When I was in my early twenties I loved waiting tables. If things like "rent" and "tips" and "capitalist performance expectations" didn't exist I probably would have done it part-time for the better part of a decade.

The people and friends you make at restaurants are fantastic, it's a bunch of people from different walks of life bound by their mutual poverty and outgoing personalities. I transitioned from serving to a career of drawing, and while it's super nice to be doing something I'm good at and enjoy as labour, there simply isn't the same kind of camaraderie and bonding as their was in restaurants. Not to mention, I've never had an adult relationship that didn't start from someone I met working at a restaurant and presumably I will now die alone due to depleted dating pool. If the subservient nature of being servile to bastards with too much money and entitlement were removed, the even the job tasks themselves could be fun. Plus, computer chair job apparently comes with an extra XX pounds of weight that were previously staved off from standing and walking around all day nature of the job. You also meet interesting people at restaurants, I've gotten commissions or job opportunities from guests before. Anyway, the reasons restaurant work sucks is because of capitalism, the act of recommending good food and drink to idiots and helping them have a good time for a little bit isn't itself inherently lovely.

DS9 stuff: There's an episode where Bashir is nervous to meet the woman who beat him at high school learning contest or whatever, but a few episodes before it seemed to be established that Bashir only hosed up the postganglionic and poopliotronic whatevers because he had a latent desire to not succeed so hard. When do they decide to spice up his character with GMO aspects?

The episode where Rom and Quark's mom gets into capitalism is pretty dope, really makes you wish for some big shifts in Ferengi's dumbass society. The scene where she disrobes at Rom's request so he can lay his head on her lap and get his teeth sharpened was the perfect amount of disturbing. Most disturbing thing, though, is why do they need sharp teeth if they expect women to babybird them their food? They eatin' a lot of tough jerky when a woman isn't around to chew for them? The only dish they showed was a bunch of meal worms and those things can be mashed up with just gums if needed.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

Most disturbing thing, though, is why do they need sharp teeth if they expect women to babybird them their food? They eatin' a lot of tough jerky when a woman isn't around to chew for them? The only dish they showed was a bunch of meal worms and those things can be mashed up with just gums if needed.

Ferengi are very interested in fashion and appearances. I'm sure it's just a dumb cultural norm

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Khanstant posted:

DS9 stuff: There's an episode where Bashir is nervous to meet the woman who beat him at high school learning contest or whatever, but a few episodes before it seemed to be established that Bashir only hosed up the postganglionic and poopliotronic whatevers because he had a latent desire to not succeed so hard. When do they decide to spice up his character with GMO aspects?

They decided on the GM stuff as they were writing the 5th season episode in which it was revealed. Siddig was understandably pissed off that they dropped that on him after already playing the character for five years.

It's come up in these threads before, but it wasn't necessarily a bad idea to retcon him as being genetically altered, the mistake was to make Bashir aware of the alterations since childhood. It would have worked a lot better if he had found out at the same time as everyone else.

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Well tally ho! With a bing and a bong and a buzz buzz buzz!

marktheando posted:

It's a good listen. American Trekkie watches Trek from the start with his English wife who has never seen it before. It's a lot of fun listening to her get more and more enthused about silly old space ship shows.

I'm hyped for them to get to TNG in the new year.

Thirding the recommendation for Rachel Watches Star Trek - it’s a great listen. If you want to jump on at a more recent spot and catch up on the rest later, Episode 82 is the first TAS one and you can catch up to the current episode pretty quickly. They’ve decided to double-time through the TAS episodes as they’re shorter, unless they come across one that’s got enough meat for a full podcast (e.g. Yesteryear).

It’s available for free at rachelwatchesstartrek.com, but if you listen and like it I’d recommend checking out the Patreon - the show’s backer community is excellent, and you get plenty of bonus content even at the $2/month level.

And I’m really looking forward to them hitting TNG too - it’ll be interesting to see what Rachel makes of it.

Trevellian fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 28, 2019

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I've been having a lot of fun with Star Trek: The Next Conversation. The format is one guy who loves TNG and another who hasn't seen the show, which is a great layout for a podcast. In addition they're both television writers and love to talk about improvements or flaws or things from a insider lens.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

Kurn is great.

I actually am looking forward to Voyager, because I think part of the problem is DS9 is just really good, especially at the point they are, so there's not as much to make fun of. Voyager being dumb will be a show asset.

And the actor was amazing as Old Jake in The Visitor!

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Greatest Gen guys are alright, I could do without the morning DJ like sound effects on specific character mentions but it seems like they've been cooling off on that lately.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I can't won't think of Ro Laren without hearing John Cena's music.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

CPColin posted:

I can't think of Ro Laren without hearing John Cena's music.

Why does John Cena have Steve Austin's glass break sound effect? Did he win it from him in a match or something? Did Austin come out and declare him the get to the glass breaking sound effect?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Why does John Cena have Steve Austin's glass break sound effect? Did he win it from him in a match or something? Did Austin come out and declare him the get to the glass breaking sound effect?

It symbolizes how Ro Laren stole our hearts :allears:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Kevin Owens already inherited The Stunner so why not?

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Dietrich posted:

Greatest Gen guys are alright, I could do without the morning DJ like sound effects on specific character mentions but it seems like they've been cooling off on that lately.

I think it's partially because their music/sound guy unexpectedly became a huge cooking YouTuber overnight. Adam Ragusea. (His cooking videos are incredible.)

I enjoy the drops though. Ron Canada being my absolute favorite, especially since he's guest starred a number of times as different characters so it pops up unexpectedly.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm just wondering if there was a story reason.

It would be like a newer champion added "SELF HIGH FIVE" before their music

Ragusea just edits Discovery, they take turns editing Greatest Gen

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I made this. I hope you appreciate it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Thank you.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think the second picture is a better match for Kum.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

DOOMocrat posted:

I made this. I hope you appreciate it.

I lol'd

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Proper kurning is important.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Noise Complaint posted:

I think it's partially because their music/sound guy unexpectedly became a huge cooking YouTuber overnight. Adam Ragusea. (His cooking videos are incredible.)

I enjoy the drops though. Ron Canada being my absolute favorite, especially since he's guest starred a number of times as different characters so it pops up unexpectedly.
One of the best ones is still the Lieutenant Toast one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

I'm just wondering if there was a story reason.

It would be like a newer champion added "SELF HIGH FIVE" before their music

Ragusea just edits Discovery, they take turns editing Greatest Gen

The Ragman doesn't edit poo poo. He just did some random music drops for them from time to time, and while they are amazing you can tell that they can't get much new out of him anymore-- their theme song to DS9 still has the Commander title for Sisko. They have another producer now for their other stuff.

I like Greatest Gen probably because the guys are my age so I enjoy most of their dumb humor, and they are not absolute nerds about stuff other than video editing. As much as I love stuff like Bernd's super nerdy Star Trek site, I definitely could not listen to a podcast of him complaining about how producers now don't give a gently caress about canon. Hell, I DEFINITELY could not listen to anything official from Star Trek about their PROUD NEW CANON.

What I don't get is their loving love for Discovery. I think it may be because the podcasters both work in tv/film production so the technical of the series look great and are top notch. It is just seriously some of the worst writing around, way worse than the last season of Game of Thrones, and that was some serious poo poo.