Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Tesseraction posted:

(Memorial to the 39 people who were found dead in Essex)

It's galling that he's acting like he gives a solitary poo poo.

Also his handwriting is loving awful.

Mine is worse

EDIT - Wu is smushed by Jin, end of the Three Kingdoms Period

I've been listening to a history of China instead of keeping up on politics. All the same horrible poo poo, but with the advantage of not having to deal with it in real time

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Oct 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Carborundum posted:

The interests who would resist a plan that made housing a right of all citizens would also resist any attempt to reform away the problems. So like gently caress it, aim high. Why fight on their ground: policy and practicality and reasonableness, when you can fight on the moral high ground?

Well, I think if some investment wanker twats goes "actually those people dying in the street, and the risk of becoming one of them, are an asset that's fundamental to my portfolio's expected return and housing them is a violation of my property rights" that's, like, entirely true, but isn't likely to convince many people that abandonment of public intervention is a good idea. I think market forces that could successfully withstand an attempt at nationalising their entire industry, wouldn't necessarily be able to combat something that is--and could credibly be defended for being--an immediately necessary public intervention that's unquestionably required because people are dying in the streets.

I guess my point is that you can map a route from "basically no public intervention in housing" to "huge amounts of deliberate and intrusive intervention in housing" without ever having to push policy that's even particularly contentious. And what's more, the successes you have lend legitimacy to the more crackpot radical stuff you're saving for later, and popularity and perceived success of stuff makes rolling it back much more difficult.

I'm a bureaucrat though, of course I endorse the procedural route, but I think there's a p good case for it

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Shot
https://twitter.com/haynesdeborah/status/1188388087648411651

Chaser
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1188762832520798208

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I enjoy "I'd be willing to inflict it on my children" as a substitute for "I'd sign up for it myself"

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Wall.

There was an army recruitment stand set up outside a Game shop in the town next to mine and they were going in targetting kids asking them to "Come have a chat", i was really loving pissed at that.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/JenniferMerode/status/1188784742012981248

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Obviously nobody's told Captain Haddock he can't have his kayak and heat it.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Illuyankas posted:

Counterpoint: magpies are arsehole murderers who keep driving away and slaughtering all the little birds at my parent's back garden

And yes the dearth of Worcester sauce crisps is an absolute travesty

Pretty much all birds are utter bastards, it’s just the bigger ones can do more about it.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I enjoy "I'd be willing to inflict it on my children" as a substitute for "I'd sign up for it myself"

tbh I can think of no better way to make everyone hate the military more than forcing everyone to serve in it.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

sebzilla posted:

BOOOOOOOO

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

sebzilla posted:

Hahahahahaha :perfect:

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

CyberPingu posted:

What time are things kicking off today?

3.30 for the actual vote I think.

For the new page, Corbyn should get with with putting a bangin'

On it.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1188763262080507904

On a more serious note:

https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1188372127797448704

(the "flextension" has been made and the LDEM amendment is now in play)

ronya fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 28, 2019

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/fromarsetoelbow/status/1188743496066359298
"Can Harman, formally linked with the Paedophile Information Exchange, whipping to abstain on the Welfare Reform and Work Act 2016, trying to block an act allowing liberisation of abortion laws, trying to make MPs exempt from FOI acts because of the expenses scandal, can she restore faith in politics?"

Anyone who advoates this should be forced to do it first, in their unwilling, unfit states. And then see how much of a good idea they think it is.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol No 10 have put out its response to boris failing to die in a ditch: parliament is a poopy butt hole

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Rumours that the government will support the Lib Dem bill in the event that Labour vote down or abstain on the motion are becoming more solid.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

They don't seem to link the list but all the more reason to support the peace pledge Union and buy their white poppies for the yearly festival of ostentatious mandatory charity

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I’ve been waiting for birb chat....

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Tesseraction posted:

The lack of substance here is astounding. This could be about a jar of mayo having been stolen from the deli for all the text clarifies.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
e: nah

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

HauntedRobot posted:

They don't seem to link the list but all the more reason to support the peace pledge Union and buy their white poppies for the yearly festival of ostentatious mandatory charity

Ah Poppymass!
https://twitter.com/MascotSilence/status/1127531696390377472

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

JordanKai posted:

The lack of substance here is astounding. This could be about a jar of mayo having been stolen from the deli for all the text clarifies.

Reminds me of Trump visiting the Holocauast memorial in Israel and writing in the book basically "Wow! Cool poo poo - bigly interesting!!!" which people contrasted Obama's message talking about the darkness of history and the light of hope that those who survived could build anew.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
I really don't get what Labour are playing at by not going for the election - once the extension is formally in place to prevent the October 31st crash out what are they waiting for?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/peoplesvote_uk/status/1188787787228766209?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think they're probably trying to make johnson look useless to worsen his performance in an election but past a point they just look stupid themselves.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Doccykins posted:

I really don't get what Labour are playing at by not going for the election - once the extension is formally in place to prevent the October 31st crash out what are they waiting for?

the polling looks bad and Labour is nervous

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They're entirely right to do whatever they can to weaken the tories in an election it's just they risk hurting themselves more.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
They’re starting to get hammered by supporters who are saying ‘you’ve spent the past two years talking about taking the fight to the Tories and that you’re ready for an immediate election and now you’re saying you’re not ready what loving gives?’

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

ronya posted:

the polling was way worse in 2017 and they went for it then and cleared out May's majority, once purdah and broadcasting regulations come into place there's nothing to say a similar swing can't be achieved in the same time between election called and polling day

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

They just want Johnson to accept the extension.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Get past 31st October so Johnson can't pull any dirty tricks to crash out on 31st.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

scot gov's consultation on short-term lets is up: https://www.gov.scot/news/short-term-lets/

over 1000 responses and a detailed analysis to read

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Which I don't really agree with to be honest, if pre-exisitng labour supporters were enough to win an election things would be different, it is actually irresponsible of them to call an election and just hope if they have the abiltiy to ratfuck the tories in one instead, it's whether they actually have that ability.

But I still like a labour party willing to employ any method to gently caress the tories up.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Tesseraction posted:

They just want Johnson to accept the extension.

It's a hard life being a sub.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Pesmerga posted:

They’re starting to get hammered by supporters who are saying ‘you’ve spent the past two years talking about taking the fight to the Tories and that you’re ready for an immediate election and now you’re saying you’re not ready what loving gives?’

Who is saying that?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Tesseraction posted:

Reminds me of Trump visiting the Holocauast memorial in Israel and writing in the book basically "Wow! Cool poo poo - bigly interesting!!!" which people contrasted Obama's message talking about the darkness of history and the light of hope that those who survived could build anew.

This is the lens by which he understands literally anything. He’s never bothered going beyond his real estate grifts. Any transaction is judged by its ‘dealiness’ quotient. Any physical place is judged by size or surface complexity.

ronya posted:

On top of that guaranteeing a...no-no-deal...would probably enflame BPers more than they already are as regards pushing back the date.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/timesredbox/status/1188727971353378817

https://twitter.com/iammightor/status/1188797505456226304

Lord Peter Mandelson is very concerned about unaccountable elites. Here's some pictures of him trying out belts with Jeffrey Epstein.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
It's time for the derail Toucan to make a comeback.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-34039680

I don't think that was this thread, but drat if it doesn't need it some times.

I don't think Boris has sent his legally mandated acceptance letter to the EU yet, right? Looking forward to him winning the vote against the government tonight so he can go 'nuh uh I'm not the prime minister' and we instantly no deal because there's nobody to accept the extension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

mediaphage posted:

This is the lens by which he understands literally anything. He’s never bothered going beyond his real estate grifts. Any transaction is judged by its ‘dealiness’ quotient. Any physical place is judged by size or surface complexity.

On top of that guaranteeing a...no-no-deal...would probably enflame BPers more than they already are as regards pushing back the date.

Brexit party lot were hating this deal and know it’s still an option come Jan31st. The tories are at a much bigger loss to them come an election.