Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I hope you get eternal radiation poisoning in hell, Baghdadi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/Josiensor/status/1188529113306468358
https://twitter.com/Dalatrm/status/1188530187551547392

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 27, 2019

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
The operation was codenamed in honor of Kayla Mueller.

https://taskandpurpose.com/kayla-mueller-baghdadi-mission-name

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 27, 2019

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Seems pretty likely that he was smuggled out of Raqqa in the deal the SDF had with ISIS. Most of those people ended up in Idlib.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's weird to me that anyone who wasn't willing to entirely repudiate their past with ISIS was welcomed in Idlib at all given the bad blood between the various factions during the war. I mean ISIS and the other rebels hated each other so much that the regime was basically able to use a minor ISIS incursion in Idlib as the tip of the spear when they cut the eastern third off the rebel zone there, before turning back and wiping out the ISIS pocket once it stopped being useful. The infighting between ISIS and Nusra is, along with Hezbollah's assistance, one of the biggest reasons the regime was able to hold out as long as it did before Russia intervened.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
People who were loyal fighters who never betrayed a group and who have significant combat experience are a valuable commodity in a war zone and a lot of ideological differences are smoothed over by food and some day to day stability and a pay check. Anyways that applies more to rank and file, why they'd be okay with leadership (or if they were even aware) of it is a lot less clear.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
The Lebanon protests have pretty much died off. Martyr’s Square will be occupied for weeks most likely but today was really quite dead, no more than a few thousand people there, and by midnight when I last went the stage was off and there were only a few hundred people still chilling there, but most lights were off as well.

The only highway road that is still occupied AFAIK is the ring bridge just outside of Beirut on the way north, which will snarl but by no means block traffic.

Many people I talked to seem resigned to accept that the Big Four (Aoun, Nasrallah, Hariri, Berri) will stay and at best some of their deputies may be forced to resign this week like Gebran Bassil. If he resigned it’s hard to say whether that would reinvigorate people, or make people totally disperse.

Banks and schools still closed tomorrow but it’s likely most private businesses will reopen, shops are just losing too much money to sustain the closures.

There are still some fundamental problems related to the Lebanese lira to dollar rate as the market rate is 1650:1 vs the peg of 1500:1 that has been maintained since the end of the civil war, so banks will remain closed for the immediate future until they figure out a way to prevent a bank run. This will affect businesses of course. ATMs are being refilled so people can get cash, but businesses that need to do large transfers (even in Lebanese lira) will be unable to do so while banks are closed.

Anyway I’ll post some photos tomorrow and then give up on updating this since I guess Democratic protests are not as exciting as killing people in Syria.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
What is up with your whiny woe is me posting? Like everyone has given you nothing but praise for your boots on the ground updates and even I was impressed by the pictures you got along with the clear details behind them but then you always follow it up with complaining about people posting about the Middle East in the Middle East thread. You seriously in the same post say the protests are dying out and there isn’t much going on then complain that people are discussing the raid and death of one of the most wanted men on the planet who lead a multinational terror organization and was found only 5km from the Turkish border the day it happens.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
1650 v 1500 isn't... that bad, I assume the concern is that it's been going long enough (???) that people would immediately drain the banks' dollar reserves dry to resell at 1600?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Cenen posted:

What is up with your whiny woe is me posting? Like everyone has given you nothing but praise for your boots on the ground updates and even I was impressed by the pictures you got along with the clear details behind them but then you always follow it up with complaining about people posting about the Middle East in the Middle East thread. You seriously in the same post say the protests are dying out and there isn’t much going on then complain that people are discussing the raid and death of one of the most wanted men on the planet who lead a multinational terror organization and was found only 5km from the Turkish border the day it happens.

Because itd he nice if this thread was stuff besides what’s on the front page of every newspaper?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Saladman posted:

Because itd he nice if this thread was stuff besides what’s on the front page of every newspaper?

That feel when the local asks for your take on Lebanese politics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwom49awRKg

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Edit: Unnecessarily dragging poo poo on.

I wish the protestors the best of luck in Lebanon and that somehow against the odds they can get some better blood in their governance.

Also RIP in piss fuckman Baghdadi and Abu al-Hassan al-Muhajir.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 28, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I'm a big fan of his lebanonposts, I hope he keeps making them, and I don't really have anything else to contribute on the topic because I don't know a lot about current Lebanon (in part for the sort of media sensationalism reasons that annoy him)

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Squalid posted:

That feel when the local asks for your take on Lebanese politics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwom49awRKg

How did I know exactly what this was going to be?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Saladman posted:

It is, it just so happens the thing on the front pages is a big deal to basically anywhere in the northern Middle East, including Lebanon.
So it's not like this is loving Nancy Grace taking up air time talking about a dead blonde coed in Aruba or something. Come on man.

Be the change and make your posts like you are, like some of the rest of us do about our inside baseball familiarity with the off the beaten path corners of the region. And the good folks read them, and probably don't have as much to say and that's fine. And the crazy ambulance chasing Dale Gribbles like War Crimes Gigolo will post terrible posts and we'll just have to let mod sort that out.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Wasn't Baghdadi paralyzed? When did he recover enough to run away from Delta force

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

tbf to saladman I remember there used to be actual Lebanese people who would post in the thread but they were mostly run out. I wish we could get more perspective sometimes. The atmosphere in DnD or c-spam can get pretty hostile, and people from countries outside North America or Western Europe tend to standout, and that can make them a target for lovely mean-spirited posters. I'm not sure how to deal with it honestly. The current DnD format where threads go on and on for years probably doesn't help since I think it can discourage new posters from joining the conversation, and someone interested in a specific topic may miss discussion of it in a thread they don't regularly read.

As it is I like when people post about stuff that I don't know anything about, but I don't blame someone "in the know" so to speak for not posting if nobody else is contributing. I used to try and post about the conflict in Somalia here. Nearly 2000 peacekeepers have died there since 2007, who knows how many Somalis, yet nobody ever talks about it. If nobody has any response though it get's boring to post updates. . . without engagement it's not really worth the effort.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i don't understand, if america essentially took baghdadi out with boots on the ground, why is the compound completely leveled? was the bin laden raider compound razed in the aftermath?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I hope you're not questioning the president's assertion that baghdadi cried like a dawg!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i don't understand, if america essentially took baghdadi out with boots on the ground, why is the compound completely leveled? was the bin laden raider compound razed in the aftermath?

Here is the Osama Bin Laden compound, pictured by a local Pakistani press correspondent, 2 days after the raid:

9 months after the raid, the Pakistani military had the entire compound razed to the ground.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I think it’s the message. He dropped the loving MOAB 2 years earlier.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Seeing as Trump doesnt see eye to eye with the IC and loves the fact that he can fire missile salvos from 10,000 miles away the strike was probably a fireworks show for JCOS aswell as Trump.

No better way to clear the air and open diplomacy between branches and departments than a good old fashion terror bombing.. Once again username post combo

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Amazing work, BM, now this is the sort of hard hitting analysis and journalism for the new millenium.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/azarijahromi/status/1188470666712043520

He's trolling, but it's still true.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

Amazing work, BM, now this is the sort of hard hitting analysis and journalism for the new millenium.

Yeah, I have to agree. Good work, BM!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
I know it was already mentioned that the location of the compound was near the Turkish border, but for the full comically suspicious effect go look it up yourself on Google Maps or somesuch.

Barisha Syria.

This stinks to high heaven in both Turkish and American regards.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

steinrokkan posted:

Yes what an objectionable tweet that all normal people can agree to disparage.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
To be fair, it’s a really lovely tweet.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Frond posted:

To be fair, it’s a really lovely tweet.

Precisely how?

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

He is referring to that one tweet by trump. BM has been the only one here posting tweets all the time that are relevant to the ISIL situation.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

so the US has decided to drop the coyness and outright jack syria's oil, doesn't reflect well on the US imo, people might think that's all this was about from the get go

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Vasukhani posted:

Wasn't Baghdadi paralyzed? When did he recover enough to run away from Delta force

who knows. i kinda believe trump made a ton of details up(since he didnt even watch it live and only from drone cam) part of me thinks the place was just surrounded, a gun fight insured and than it got voiped by a drone. while bagadadi probably is a hypocritical monster who can burn in hell. i kinda doubt he ran away crying and begging. that sounds more like projection from trump.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

gh0stpinballa posted:

so the US has decided to drop the coyness and outright jack syria's oil, doesn't reflect well on the US imo, people might think that's all this was about from the get go
Despite what Trump keeps saying I have not heard anything about us seizing the oil

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

gh0stpinballa posted:

Stupid people will believe dumb poo poo regardless of what happens or why so I don’t know why anyone would take their opinions into account when making decisions.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

FlamingLiberal posted:

Despite what Trump keeps saying I have not heard anything about us seizing the oil

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/oct/28/syria-us-troops-oil-fields-isis

seems weird you would deploy your troops around the oil and then refuse to deny there are now more troops in country than before this "withdrawal"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

we're illegally securing them so assad can't have them back, but i'm 99% sure we're not trucking it off to basra and selling it ourselves

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

US troops around the oil fields hasn't exactly been a secret for a while now. Now sure where you are going with this.

i say swears online posted:

we're illegally securing them so assad can't have them back, but i'm 99% sure we're not trucking it off to basra and selling it ourselves

it's this, also because they just happen to sit on the most direct supply line from Iran to Damascus. The US isn't going to recoup the billions of dollars its given to the SDF off the revenue from a bunch of wells that are half depleted anyway.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
'All US foreign policy is equally bad it doesn't matter who is in charge of it'

Also full credit to the people last time I brought that up who were like, 'yeah I realize in retrospect that view didn't age well.' I'm just bringing it up to laugh at it again as a thing plenty of people legitimately seem to believe

Squalid posted:

US troops around the oil fields hasn't exactly been a secret for a while now. Now sure where you are going with this.

it's this, also because they just happen to sit on the most direct supply line from Iran to Damascus. The US isn't going to recoup the billions of dollars its given to the SDF off the revenue from a bunch of wells that are half depleted anyway.

E: /\ SOF was basing out of oil facilities because no one wants to shell oil facilities for a bunch of reasons. They're also immensely defensible, typically. Plus they have obvious strategic significance so they're a good place to hold. Before this, they were pulling out of those bases, too (had pulled out?) but Trump just announced that actually he is sending troops back in to seize the oil facilities

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 29, 2019

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Squalid posted:

Stupid people will believe dumb poo poo regardless of what happens or why so I don’t know why anyone would take their opinions into account when making decisions.

none of this makes the slightest bit of sense, btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

gh0stpinballa posted:

none of this makes the slightest bit of sense, btw

Most Americans think we are in the ME to “fight terrorism”