Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Wait, so the NRA was involved in the TV channel in name only? It was just wholly farmed out and had their name stamped on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

While I enjoy the "nobody will miss you when you're gone" tone of this, how the gently caress was the NRA not tacitly approving what NRATV was doing? Also :laffo: at being so racist the NRA doesn't want anything to do with you.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm willing to believe the leadership was so focused on grifting for themselves that they literally didn't give a gently caress about how their subordinates were spending the organization's money

E: I'm also willing to believe they knew and were fine with everything on NRAtv because they're huge racists, and they're only suing now because they want their money back

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 28, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Angry_Ed posted:

While I enjoy the "nobody will miss you when you're gone" tone of this, how the gently caress was the NRA not tacitly approving what NRATV was doing? Also :laffo: at being so racist the NRA doesn't want anything to do with you.
They’re probably lying

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

They’re probably lying

I mean yes that was the implication I was making, desperately trying to cover their asses and so forth.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

I'm willing to believe the leadership was so focused on grifting for themselves that they literally didn't give a gently caress about how their subordinates were spending the organization's money

this was all through the marketing company that was in a weirdly incestous financial relationship with half of the board members and was (supposedly) the impetus for oliver north leaving i believe

https://twitter.com/albamonica/status/1188869197083885568?s=21
https://twitter.com/KevinWhitelaw1/status/1188891428472139777

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I'd bet money that every single time you almost broke through, he went to whatever right-wing echo chambers he frequents, was reassured that you are wrong, and he may or may not have called you his "liberal soy cuck friend"

I'd take that bet.

I really don't like the attitude that says "people can't be changed, so don't bother trying."

It's not true, and I know that first-hand. My family voted R since forever- my first voting-related memory is going to the polls with my mom and helping her pull the lever for Ford, for chrissakes. I listened to Rush on the radio in the 90's. I read Ayn Rand unironically.

Sometime during the Obama administration, I started figuring things out for myself about who the R team was really working for (spoiler: not me), and by the time the escalator ride happened I knew two things: 1. That orange rear end in a top hat was going to be President, and 2. I wanted no part of it.

At any point while I was on the journey from R to I to D, someone who I was talking to could have shut the whole thing down with "well you're just a chud, no sense talking to you" and turned me off the whole thing entirely. Thank goodness they didn't.

So yeah, you can change minds. And if you can do it, you should do it. Even if it's not successful, there's value in the attempt.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
There are a lot of former centrists itt, who are arguably more dangerous than the chuds.

People change.

quote:

Sometime during the Obama administration, I started figuring things out for myself about who the R team was really working for (spoiler: not me)

This part alone is worth taking a moment and reminding the chuds you casually interact with that no one they vote for gives a poo poo about them. It's easy to do and may dissuade them from voting entirely.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Phlag posted:

One drop of amusing news in this sea of misery: a little while back a Trump supporter shouted a bunch of anti-immigrant bullshit during a town hall and got laughed out of the building, by this guy, among others:

She was recently arrested for identity theft. "Respect our laws" indeed.
https://twitter.com/brianklaas/status/1188354562001920000?s=20

I'm not exaggerating--she was arrested by Surprise police.

Outside of that, yet another data point to prove the rule that conservatives are projectors.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ignoring the terrible and stupid art (is that supposed to be Nadler on the right? Looks more like William Barr), I'm sure making a crappy photoshop of a movie Bette Midler was in will go swimmingly.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Wylie posted:

I'd take that bet.

I really don't like the attitude that says "people can't be changed, so don't bother trying."

It's not true, and I know that first-hand. My family voted R since forever- my first voting-related memory is going to the polls with my mom and helping her pull the lever for Ford, for chrissakes. I listened to Rush on the radio in the 90's. I read Ayn Rand unironically.

Sometime during the Obama administration, I started figuring things out for myself about who the R team was really working for (spoiler: not me), and by the time the escalator ride happened I knew two things: 1. That orange rear end in a top hat was going to be President, and 2. I wanted no part of it.

At any point while I was on the journey from R to I to D, someone who I was talking to could have shut the whole thing down with "well you're just a chud, no sense talking to you" and turned me off the whole thing entirely. Thank goodness they didn't.

So yeah, you can change minds. And if you can do it, you should do it. Even if it's not successful, there's value in the attempt.

If it is someone you personally know, sure, you want to deprogram them for the sake of your relationship. But outside of that I think the common wisdom is that people *can* change, but the amount of effort that goes into doing so is so massive that it is far more expedient to just ensure that people who are not like that can vote. The number of people who aren't shitbirds is far larger than those who are, and pushing those people to be more active (or coaxing centrists to the left) gives a lot more bang for your buck.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Wylie posted:

I'd take that bet.

Most of the alt righters want people like me dead. They're not worth having the conversation with. And the ones that don't deflect good natured teaching and help with bullet points and memes. It's so loving tiring and you don't have a loving clue because it's not your neck on the line.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Yeah hold on while me a non white person goes on to a kkk meet up to try to make them less white supremacist.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Wylie posted:

I'd take that bet.

it turns out that you didn't actually change, just found out more about yourself and decided to act accordingly. It cannot come from anywhere but internally, and attempt to "change people" almost always make then dig in harder.

to put into song song lyrics by the amazing OK GO:

quote:

I've been waiting for months, waiting for years, waiting for you to change.
Aw, but there ain't much that's dumber, there ain't much that's dumber
than pinning your hopes on a change in another.
And I, yeah I still need you, but what good's that gonna do?
Needing is one thing, and getting, getting's another.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Wylie posted:

I'd take that bet.

Thanks buddy. :)

CuddleCryptid posted:

If it is someone you personally know, sure, you want to deprogram them for the sake of your relationship. But outside of that I think the common wisdom is that people *can* change, but the amount of effort that goes into doing so is so massive that it is far more expedient to just ensure that people who are not like that can vote. The number of people who aren't shitbirds is far larger than those who are, and pushing those people to be more active (or coaxing centrists to the left) gives a lot more bang for your buck.

Also true. If I spent time just trying to deprogram chuds, it would be a massive undertaking and totally not worth the effort. I do spend time trying to activate people, especially young people. Strategically I know that trying to get my friend away from the brain poison that is modern conservativsm is time consuming and hard, but it is bearing fruit. Not everything is strategic.

I will say that if my friend were to talk poo poo behind my back and I found out, I'd drop his rear end, but I honestly don't think so. I could be wrong, but I doubt that I'm wrong. I've known him for almost twenty years now and if he were the sort of person to talk behind someone's back I think I would have found out by now.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

CuddleCryptid posted:

Nothing you are saying here is wrong.

I'm sure I'm going to get pilloried for all the stupid ideas I used to have, but I'm glad I'm where I'm at now, and I will do whatever I can to help others come along with me. And, yes, I will also help encourage people who do agree with me to vote. You can do both!

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

it turns out that you didn't actually change, just found out more about yourself and decided to act accordingly. It cannot come from anywhere but internally, and attempt to "change people" almost always make then dig in harder.

to put into song song lyrics by the amazing OK GO:

People absolutely can change on their own. Saying that someone just finds out more about themselves can be a component of change or all that's needed, but saying that people are fundamentally incapable of change strips out all agency from them.

Change is hard, not impossible.

CascadeBeta posted:

Most of the alt righters want people like me dead. They're not worth having the conversation with. And the ones that don't deflect good natured teaching and help with bullet points and memes. It's so loving tiring and you don't have a loving clue because it's not your neck on the line.

Yeah, poo poo. This too. My friend was at risk of falling into the alt-right because he was adjacent to them, the kind of increasingly alienated person that they recruit from. Thankfully he's moving away. If he was a full loving concentration camp supporting chud I wouldn't associate with him anymore. The MAGA hat is the new white hood. Anyone who wears one should be hounded and humiliated.

I'm not at risk, or at least my risk is miniscule. So I go out of my way to support people who are targeted. In my case, I do my best to stand up for trans activists with one in particular in mind. They're the current cultural flash point and as a group they're taking the most violence, death and general misery and that loving sucks. As a person with privilege I offer what aid and support even though if there were some conservative landslide victory, whether electoral, cultural or otherwise, in a broad, technical sense, I'd probably be okay unless I actively started opposing the Nazis. My personal activism is for the people who are not okay and climate change and that's in my spare time.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 28, 2019

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

CascadeBeta posted:

I have no idea what you go through. All I can do from here is offer support, whatever that may mean. I am absolutely not in any position to tell you what to do or how to think.

Full stop.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

booseek posted:

The stock market, on average, has been stagnant since that mini crash in late January 2018. The S&P reached like 27,000 or so then, slowly crawled back up and hit slightly higher record highs in September 2018, then really crashed down that winter. It's now at around 27,000 again. So if you're comparing since early 2018, you really haven't made any money except for dividends, if applicable.

Stock market was really good for Trump's first year. It's been suck for about the past two, wildly oscillating between crashes and slightly higher record highs. Don't check it too often is my advice lest you check it during a crash and then panic sell.

You got one thing right, that you shouldn't panic sell if your retirement account takes a hit. However, the rest of this is written like you have heard some vague things about stocks and retained very little. "The stock market" is not the Dow Jones Industrial Average, and it's not the S&P 500. The record high of the Dow is above 27,000 and was reached this year. It hasn't "really crashed down" at any time since 2009.

When you're talking about properly diversified funds like retirement accounts, it's completely possible to have higher returns than the DJIA. If you just invested in exactly the 30 stocks in the Dow, then yes it would match. You don't really "make money" from the dividends in a retirement account. They are reinvested into more shares.

There's more I could say but I think you should refrain from talking about these things, personally.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Focusing on change is dumb when the way better time is getting your base out and voter registrationrather than convincing the occasional trump lover that he's actually an rear end in a top hat

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

CascadeBeta posted:

Nobody says you have to do it - in fact, it doesn't sound like you should! But that doesn't mean you should tell people who are trying that they shouldn't.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
^ We should not be providing any sympathy to those poor, misunderstood nazis that clearly just need the right person to come along and teach them why bigotry is wrong.

Wylie posted:

I have no idea what you go through. All I can do from here is offer support, whatever that may mean. I am absolutely not in any position to tell you what to do or how to think.

Full stop.

Then why don't you shut the gently caress up? Maybe when they aren't holding the sword over us, taking away our rights and trying to argue that we don't deserve to work or live, that we're less human or broken because of how we choose to live and act, then we can try to have a doe eyed heart to heart with the nazi scumbags. But right now, they are the loving enemy. They would gladly have us all put against the wall if they could. We have enough trouble in our own circles proving to others that we're valid enough to fight for. So quit spouting off the Rocky 4 speech like it means something in 2019.

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 28, 2019

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

They still don't get that a "witch hunt" is not a "hunt" carried out by witches.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Celexi posted:

Yeah hold on while me a non white person goes on to a kkk meet up to try to make them less white supremacist.
No! It's a trick!

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

I was going to post "Reminder: Linda McMahon is still the head of the Small Business Administration," but it turns out she quit back in March in order to run a Super PAC. She was replaced with no one because culling the bureaucracy and using the resulting failures to argue against the concept of government is, like, so effective.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Monaghan posted:

Focusing on change is dumb when the way better time is getting your base out and voter registrationrather than convincing the occasional trump lover that he's actually an rear end in a top hat

I think the thing here is that, yes, you're right on a macro level, but on an interpersonal level, if there's someone you can reach, you generally should make the attempt to reach them.

Otherwise you're in a weird logical place where you're telling yourself "well, this guy at work/school/church is questioning conservatism, better tell him to hit the bricks back to Breitbart because that time would be better spent registering college students to vote". It's a false dichotomy.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Cabbit posted:

Did he get "smoke the belt" chants or did I hallucinate that?

I'm almost positive that happened. I was sad the angle fell apart, but most WWE angles do and especially when they try to do something weird and progressive and don't know how to get themselves out of it, just like the Rock/Austin/Rikishi racism angle years ago and they're walking a tight rope and realize they don't know how to walk that tight rope.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

betaraywil posted:

I was going to post "Reminder: Linda McMahon is still the head of the Small Business Administration," but it turns out she quit back in March in order to run a Super PAC. She was replaced with no one because culling the bureaucracy and using the resulting failures to argue against the concept of government is, like, so effective.

shes running the Super PAC that Giuliani's Ukrainian buddies were using to direct illegal campaign donations

(Note: she is not implicated in any of that she took it over after those activities)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mmurraypolitics/status/1188893888095895552

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.

1glitch0 posted:

I'm almost positive that happened. I was sad the angle fell apart, but most WWE angles do and especially when they try to do something weird and progressive and don't know how to get themselves out of it, just like the Rock/Austin/Rikishi racism angle years ago and they're walking a tight rope and realize they don't know how to walk that tight rope.

It was more "it made no loving sense that Rikishi ran over Stone Cold, so let's wrap it up with Triple H being the one actually pulling the strings because reasons."

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The only people reading this thread who are going to "retire" on 401ks or whatever stock market nonsense are those who are already in their 50s. If you think there's going to be a stable global financial system in 30 years you should adjust that expectation.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/AlexNBCNews/status/1188900145108324352

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

How are u posted:

The only people reading this thread who are going to "retire" on 401ks or whatever stock market nonsense are those who are already in their 50s. If you think there's going to be a stable global financial system in 30 years you should adjust that expectation.

I'd be interested in reading about this.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I didn't even realize he was still in the race. This has to be a grift, but how does it work?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CascadeBeta posted:

As a trans person, all the people posting kind of pie in the sky "just talk to the alt righters and convince them" takes just makes me tired.

I'm a straight, cis white male but my twin sister is trans and I find myself having to interact with transphobes literally every single day. I cannot imagine how frequently you, or my sister, or any other trans person has to deal with it, or how much worse it is. Even from my seat of societal privilege it's still an extremely irritating burden and the idea that I'm supposed to be empathetic or polite to these loving people pisses me off really badly. Every single republican on this planet would either murder her themselves or they'd cheer it on if it happened, and they'll drat sure vote for people that will encourage it.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

beejay posted:

You don't really "make money" from the dividends in a retirement account. They are reinvested into more shares.

That's as much "making money" as you "make money" from share prices going up, which is a perfect fine colloquial usage. You have more capital after you've been payed dividends. Pretending that you somehow didn't make money because it's only been reinvested is some bullshit on the level of "capital gains taxes are double taxation!"

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/1188861586318020612

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

empty whippet box posted:

I'm a straight, cis white male but my twin sister is trans
None of my business, but, monozygotic? If I were a man with an identical twin sister I think I would really get a kick out of telling people that and watching them try to wrap their heads around it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

beejay posted:

I'd be interested in reading about this.

Come to the climate threads.

e: the tldr is that if we want to have a future with human civilization that looks anything like what we have now, then we have 10-15 years to reshape our global economic systems in such a profound way that the entire foundation upon which that system lies (growth, forever and always) must disappear. You can see how that will slightly effect markets as we know them.

That's the challenge, and one of two things happens:

1) we meet the challenge and enter a new era of civilization based wholly on sustainability and a more communal society because we have to by necessity of the changed world we will live in,

or

2) we don't, we go full steam ahead, things get much much worse and we end up with billions dead, billions more displaced as climate refugees, nations unable to feed themselves much less others due to extreme weather, running out of water everywhere, etc etc.

In either scenario there's no room for a stable, global financial system like we have known for the last 50+ years. Simply cannot exist as it has, so do not put your eggs in that basket.

How are u fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Wylie posted:

I listened to Rush on the radio in the 90's.

Forgivable if you ignore most of the lyrics IMO.