Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

https://twitter.com/ComicArtGems2/status/1188872854604894208

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

it turns out that you didn't actually change, just found out more about yourself and decided to act accordingly.

"People can't change."
*person changes*
"Well see they didn't actually change because"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Party Plane Jones posted:

this was all through the marketing company that was in a weirdly incestous financial relationship with half of the board members and was (supposedly) the impetus for oliver north leaving i believe

https://twitter.com/albamonica/status/1188869197083885568?s=21
https://twitter.com/KevinWhitelaw1/status/1188891428472139777

...They really don't know what a Witch Hunt is or how it works, do they?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

My Twitter Account posted:

None of my business, but, monozygotic? If I were a man with an identical twin sister I think I would really get a kick out of telling people that and watching them try to wrap their heads around it.

We are fraternal twins. Very obviously siblings, but not identical, no. I kinda wish we were just because it's already mind-blowing enough as it is, but for one identical twin to be trans and the other not?? fuckin' lol.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

"I'm comfortable not speaking" is a weird twist on "I'm not comfortable speaking".

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

I'm reminded of their reticence to host town halls for their constituents. It seems like a terrible idea to be in a highly visible public position and refuse to speak or act, but maybe I'm just not looking at their priorities the right way.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

empty whippet box posted:

We are fraternal twins. Very obviously siblings, but not identical, no. I kinda wish we were just because it's already mind-blowing enough as it is, but for one identical twin to be trans and the other not?? fuckin' lol.

I've met a pair of identical twins where one was gay and the other was straight

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mikedebonis/status/1188901542985904128

well that was a quick turnaround from the bolton aide saying 'no gently caress you not showing up' this morning

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Stickman posted:

That's as much "making money" as you "make money" from share prices going up, which is a perfect fine colloquial usage. You have more capital after you've been payed dividends. Pretending that you somehow didn't make money because it's only been reinvested is some bullshit on the level of "capital gains taxes are double taxation!"

Yes, correct, but in the context of the rest of his post it boils down to "Dow Jones is stagnant so your retirement account dollar figure only goes up because of dividends" which is honestly ridiculous.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
The fact of the matter is I consider any Trump voter or anyone who still rides the Trump train dead to me. I will gladly exile that third or half of this country at this point. I don't care if there are some non bigots that get caught in the net, they're not victims. They knew he was a snake when they took him in.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

well that was a quick turnaround from the bolton aide saying 'no gently caress you not showing up' this morning

I'm also guessing they know they have the votes to do it. They still shouldn't have to though and it's kinda bullshit, but then again that's been the MO of the Administration.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

My Twitter Account posted:

None of my business, but, monozygotic? If I were a man with an identical twin sister I think I would really get a kick out of telling people that and watching them try to wrap their heads around it.

I'm...fairly certain that we think that "being trans" is developmental in utero, so it doesn't seem that insane that one of two identical twins would be trans, because the DNA isn't currently thought to be the source.

Just to be clear: This is my understanding, which may be inaccurate, of the current science, and it doesn't change the reality of being trans - you're definitely born that way, whether or not it's controlled by DNA doesn't change that it's a real thing.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Technowrite posted:

It was more "it made no loving sense that Rikishi ran over Stone Cold, so let's wrap it up with Triple H being the one actually pulling the strings because reasons."

I'm pretty sure it was much more they got way over their pay grade with the racism angle and didn't know what to do.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

How did republicans manage to turn the CFPB into such a punching bag? Shouldn't everyone who was planning to retire in 2008 be furious at any attempt to loosen financial regulations?

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Today: Republicans insist a vote is necessary to legitimatize the impeachment inquiry.

Thursday: Democrats vote party line to formalize the inquiry.

Friday: Republicans insist the impeachment is nakedly political, and therefore not legitimate.

Angry_Ed posted:

I'm also guessing they know they have the votes to do it. They still shouldn't have to though and it's kinda bullshit, but then again that's been the MO of the Administration.

Hopefully they've whipped up some Republican votes, otherwise this is dumb as hell.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Thats definitely the tactic, I just hope it doesn't work. The general populace has been surprisingly unwilling to chalk this up to just partisanship based on impeachment polls.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

DARPA posted:

Today: Republicans insist a vote is necessary to legitimatize the impeachment inquiry.

Friday: Republicans insist the impeachment is nakedly political, and therefore not legitimate.
There's a huge difference to the courts.

quote:

Hopefully they've whipped up some Republican votes, otherwise this is dumb as hell.
Republicans do not want to have this vote lol

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

DARPA posted:

One thing I saw included was authorizations to release transcripts, have open hearings, and even process rights for the White House, obviously to counter the "secret process" narrative the GOP has been trying to build.

https://twitter.com/BresPolitico/status/1188902172144144387?s=20

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

I'm a straight, cis white male but my twin sister is trans and I find myself having to interact with transphobes literally every single day. I cannot imagine how frequently you, or my sister, or any other trans person has to deal with it, or how much worse it is. Even from my seat of societal privilege it's still an extremely irritating burden and the idea that I'm supposed to be empathetic or polite to these loving people pisses me off really badly. Every single republican on this planet would either murder her themselves or they'd cheer it on if it happened, and they'll drat sure vote for people that will encourage it.

I can't even talk but the one way I sort of kind of barely but not really know what you mean is how my sister felt she just HAD to unload on someone about Always taking the female symbol off their packaging. You'd have thought someone robbed her at knifepoint or some poo poo. She can't articulate it but clearly the existence of trans people really gets under her skin on a deep level and she just has no one to vent to. I uh, didn't make that easy for her. I doubt she'll see me as a safe place to vent anymore.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
I'm an idiot.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AhhYes posted:

One thing I saw included was authorizations to release transcripts, have open hearings, and even process rights for the White House, obviously to counter the "secret process" narrative the GOP has been trying to build.

Ok but there's no reason to give due process because this isn't a criminal trial, and the President is not under arrest (yet).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

It happens, friends of mine have a set. They study them for science and stuff. Epigenetics is wild.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

AhhYes posted:

They are once again just playing to the GOP’s narrative.

After they hold this vote they will just complain about something else

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Angry_Ed posted:

Ok but there's no reason to give due process because this isn't a criminal trial, and the President is not under arrest (yet).

Yeah, it's just a bluff call.

FlamingLiberal posted:

They will try, that's for sure. But the thinking is: They haven't argued substance because that's very, very hard given the evidence, so they argue process. Take away the process argument and you force them into increasingly ridiculous places.

AhhYes fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 28, 2019

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Angry_Ed posted:

I'm hoping it's stuff like "the right to have a WH attorney present to exercise valid privilege arguments" and such.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
God dammit, don't let the people under investigation dictate the terms of the investigation you loving spineless jellyfish.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Obviously, but I'm thinking it's a good time to call the bluff here. Senate has mostly buried itself in a hole, the idiot brigade in the House has made fools of themselves, and the WH is stonewalling in the most blatant way imaginable.

Narrative is shifting to the sane Dems vs. the batshit crazy faction of the GOP and that's a good place to be here.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

theflyingorc posted:

There's a huge difference to the courts.

Which court? When? This poo poo was just three days ago Impeachment Inquiry Is Legal, Judge Rules, Giving Democrats a Victory

quote:

A federal judge handed a victory to House Democrats on Friday when she ruled that they were legally engaged in an impeachment inquiry

Republicans are playing Calvinball with the constitution. It's bullshit.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Devor posted:

I'm hoping it's stuff like "the right to have a WH attorney present to exercise valid privilege arguments" and such.

gently caress that, us v. nixon is pretty clear on that subject

WH doesn't get a "actually we would prefer that question not get answered" vote

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

How are u posted:

The only people reading this thread who are going to "retire" on 401ks or whatever stock market nonsense are those who are already in their 50s. If you think there's going to be a stable global financial system in 30 years you should adjust that expectation.

ok but when is the best time to pull all my cash out and start a warbus?

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

beejay posted:

You got one thing right, that you shouldn't panic sell if your retirement account takes a hit. However, the rest of this is written like you have heard some vague things about stocks and retained very little. "The stock market" is not the Dow Jones Industrial Average, and it's not the S&P 500. The record high of the Dow is above 27,000 and was reached this year. It hasn't "really crashed down" at any time since 2009.

When you're talking about properly diversified funds like retirement accounts, it's completely possible to have higher returns than the DJIA. If you just invested in exactly the 30 stocks in the Dow, then yes it would match. You don't really "make money" from the dividends in a retirement account. They are reinvested into more shares.

There's more I could say but I think you should refrain from talking about these things, personally.

My main fund is a whole stock market index fund. I realize that neither the S&P nor DJIA mirror the stock market in general, but clearly it's used as a stand in for the broader market in general, so don't be silly. I have no clue how the poster's account is structured or what they do with dividends, so that's why I mentioned it.

Point is, it's more than likely that if DJIA is doing well, the broader market is as well. What's the controversy here?

EDIT: 27,000 to 22,500 is not a crash? Maybe. I think most people would label it a crash of some kind.

small butter fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 28, 2019

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wylie posted:

I started figuring things out for myself

And here is the important difference between you and the people we are talking about

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

DARPA posted:

Which court? When? This poo poo was just three days ago Impeachment Inquiry Is Legal, Judge Rules, Giving Democrats a Victory
Yeah, but do you think the process goes FASTER or SLOWER when a judge has to make a ruling on specific issues?

They're bidding for time. "It is partisan" is not a legal argument. "It isn't formalized correctly" is. Only one slows things down.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I don’t think I like that the Dems are doing this but perhaps they’ve done most of what they’ve wanted to do behind closed doors and it’s time for things to go public anyway so might as well do this?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

And here is the important difference between you and the people we are talking about

No you see, if you just find the magical combination of words, you can make bigots understand!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Besesoth posted:

https://twitter.com/ComicArtGems2/status/1188872854604894208

"People can't change."
*person changes*
"Well see they didn't actually change because"

The exact opposite actually. The only person that can induce change is the individual themselves. you cannot change someone externally. It's just that 99.9%of the time people don't choose to do that.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 28, 2019

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Retro42 posted:

Obviously, but I'm thinking it's a good time to call the bluff here. Senate has mostly buried itself in a hole, the idiot brigade in the House has made fools of themselves, and the WH is stonewalling in the most blatant way imaginable.

Narrative is shifting to the sane Dems vs. the batshit crazy faction of the GOP and that's a good place to be here.

I saw this literally minutes ago and cannot find it again, but I think that right after a court tells the administration to go gently caress itself on all of these arguments is basically the perfect time to do this from a position of strength

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/KatyTurNBC/status/1188908456318849024

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Nevvy Z posted:

ok but when is the best time to pull all my cash out and start a warbus?

Why wait?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

CascadeBeta posted:

No you see, if you just find the magical combination of words, you can make bigots understand!
Why are you so committed to making sure nobody else tries to pull their loved ones out of the embrace of the alt-right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/fawfulfan/status/1188811044656992258

jesus christ